Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A bunch of guys here got in a finger-pointing match regarding why an SFTP was failing 50% of the time. I told them after listening to the issue for a few minutes that the connection error was coming from inside the FTP software and it wasn't a traffic issue. Then I dropped it because I didn't want to get involved in solving their FTP software woes.

It's 3 days later, and everybody has lost their loving marbles. The software techs are vehemently blaming network connections since outbound traffic is balanced over 2 public IPs, insisting this is the issue. My senior admin is claiming the firewall logs don't show any outbound traffic for the failed attempts, so the server's routing must be foobar because it's sending traffic in separate directions for every attempt? gently caress if I know, but long story short is both sides are at each other's throats over who's responsible for troubleshooting. They keep coming to me to ask the same questions over and over, trying to get me to side with their team and tell the other crew how wrong they are.

It's my last week here. I install wireshark, unequivocally prove the traffic for both failed and success attempts are routing over the internet, and lo-and-behold it's the FTP software that's ignoring the key exchange request from the far side. It's an FTP software issue!

At least I had fun sending an essay to these goobs with pretty pictures telling them why both sides were wrong. I ended the email with "I don't know the next step of troubleshooting" so they leave me alone from here, but I just know they're going to come asking for more help on this thing.

e: :yotj: page 1000 snipe what what :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
HERE'S TO ANOTHER 1,000 YEARS PAGES OF DARKNESS! :cheers:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Happy page eight everyone!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Knormal posted:

:marc:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Knormal posted:

It's page 4096 are you crazy?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

It's page 4096 are you crazy?
It's not 4096? though it does look like something broke..

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Can't wait until page 69 .

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Bigass Moth posted:

Can't wait until page #NaN.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

e: :yotj: page 1000 snipe what what :yotj:

o poo poo waddup!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:whatup:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

There is no escape, only printers

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Celebration time is over back to your cubes

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Happy 1000! :toot:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
To help with bringing in new posters we will be requiring everybody to vote a 5 on this thread. These votes will be voluntary and anonymous but we will check and those who don't vote will be ... fired reprimanded reviewed.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Made it in on the page :yotj:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Voted five because I enjoy working for this forward-thinking company that engages in scalable risk management lifecycles, is proactive about benchmarking customer value, engages in nondisruptive ROI facilitation, has granular scheduled reviews that fit a solid strategy paradigm that engages customer values, is sales driven with a timeline for markets and lets us engage in off-line base touching when out of the loop.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 6, 2016

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sheep posted:

Voted five because I enjoy working for this forward-thinking company that engages in scalable risk management lifecycles, is proactive about benchmarking customer value, engages in nondisruptive ROI facilitation, has granular scheduled reviews that fit a solid strategy paradigm that engages customer values, is sales driven with a timeline for markets and lets us engage in off-line base touching when out of the loop.

I agree with whatever was said above me. Also with whatever is said below me.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Printers are the best, printer tickets are the best tickets, I wish everybody had a personal printer and every business had more printers and I wish printers were mobile so people could carry them on their person at all times, and also connect them to every wireless network automatically so that everybody can print to everybody else's printers.

Basically, the more printers in this world the better off we all are.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

To help with bringing in new posters we will be requiring everybody to vote a 5 on this thread. These votes will be voluntary and anonymous but we will check and those who don't vote will be ... fired reprimanded reviewed.

You’ve got to go out. You’ve got to go out. And you’ve got to get your friends. And you’ve got to get everyone you know. And you got to watch your thread voting, because I hear too many stories about Something Awful. Certain boards. I hear too many bad stories, and we can’t lose a thread vote because of you know what I’m talking about.

So go and vote, and then go check out areas. Because a lot of bad things happen. And we don’t want to lose for that reason. We don’t want to lose, but we especially we don’t want to lose for that reason. So go over and — watch. And watch carefully.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:pusheen:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
page 8 whatup.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Knormal posted:

DigitalMocking posted:

page 8 whatup.

I think you both mean "page 0x3E8"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sunblood posted:

I think you both mean "page 0x3E8"

Bu zl tbq lbh areqf...

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Sheep posted:

This entire paragraph made perfect sense to me. Where did my life go so horribly wrong?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Awwww yeah page 1e3 motherfuckers let's have a party. With super soakers.

(I don't know how else to leverage this name, which is about as stupid as the old one but frankly I prefer this one because at least it's a party rather than an alley full of dingy potatoes).

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Rated 5, went hog wild.

Now to hope I don't go to page 9....

On a random note: Surface Pro 4 or Surface 3? I'm finding more and more that I'm needing Windows tools (especially wanting to go down the networking path) and while I love my MBP it's a little bulky at times. Also I swear VMware Fusion crashes my machine if I inadvertently close my laptop with a VM running. I have a (very old) iPad but I feel that a tablet should run a full OS.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 7, 2016

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, sure, I'll put a post that's completely relevant to the topic on this page.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
gently caress fax machines.

gently caress literally anything to do with faxes.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

8 months, 0 certs, 1 degree (Associate of Arts, gen studies)

also, why are faxes still a thing?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

pr0digal posted:

Rated 5, went hog wild.

Now to hope I don't go to page 9....

On a random note: Surface Pro 4 or Surface 3? I'm finding more and more that I'm needing Windows tools (especially wanting to go down the networking path) and while I love my MBP it's a little bulky at times. Also I swear VMware Fusion crashes my machine if I inadvertently close my laptop with a VM running. I have a (very old) iPad but I feel that a tablet should run a full OS.

If you have the budget, the Surface Book. I'm a Linux dev but found the Book to be great. The extra battery and improved keyboard of the book is worth it imo.

Avenida
Jul 14, 2015
Page 1000! Only 24 more pages till we hit a nice big round number.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Rassle posted:

8 months, 0 certs, 1 degree (Associate of Arts, gen studies)

also, why are faxes still a thing?

Because people are loving assholes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A lot of our customers only send in orders via faxes and refuse to change over to email or EDI.

Saying that, we have software that dumps incoming faxes to email boxes so who gives a poo poo.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Here's to another bunch of posts decrying bosses, HR, processes being ignored and praising alcohol.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

GreenNight posted:

A lot of our customers only send in orders via faxes and refuse to change over to email or EDI.

Saying that, we have software that dumps incoming faxes to email boxes so who gives a poo poo.

Seeing if I managed to get on 1000 while celebrating the technological gift to mankind that is the fax machine!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pretending to be one of the cool kids with a TCP/IP related username

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Happy page 3E800 >> 8 everybody!

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

GreenNight posted:

I installed Asterisk into a Raspberry Pi, just so it can receive incoming faxes and e-mail them off as a tiff or pdf.
Vets loves faxes apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Pretending to be one of the cool kids with a TCP/IP related username

Pretty sure you're UDP bud

• Locked thread