Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheRagamuffin posted:

Just recently started playing Dragoon, and I have a couple questions:

I've seen a couple online guides mention mixing in Fracture in addition to Phlebotomize, in dps rotations. Is this as bad an idea as it sounds?

When gearing, should I take advantage of the fact that I can wear heavier armor than other DPS classes, or is it better to stick with whatever gear gives the most Str? Is there even a difference between the two at higher levels (I'm currently low-30s)?

DRG is one of the classes that should NOT use fracture. It's a waste of TP and a GCD.

At higher levels, you get DRG-specific gear. In mid-30s it doesn't really matter too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

TheRagamuffin posted:

I've seen a couple online guides mention mixing in Fracture in addition to Phlebotomize, in dps rotations. Is this as bad an idea as it sounds?

When gearing, should I take advantage of the fact that I can wear heavier armor than other DPS classes, or is it better to stick with whatever gear gives the most Str? Is there even a difference between the two at higher levels (I'm currently low-30s)?

Wear whatever gives you the most damage. Once you're 50, Dragoon armor branches off from the lighter-tanky armors in to their own sets(as do all DPS armors.) It's still the same kind of armors. Light plate, scale and chainmails, and the defenses reflect that in how you'll sit between a Tank and the rest of the DPS classes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TheRagamuffin posted:

How old are those guides? Drg used fracture way back in 2.0, before its main rotation got a potency buff in 2.1. Theoretically you should still use it below level 26 when you get full thrust, but I honestly wouldn't waste the slot on my hotbar.
In levels 1-49, gear is kinda weird. There's 5 categories:

"Disciple of War or Magic" -- mage gear
"Disciple of War" -- physical DPS gear
"GLA PLD MRD WAR DRK LNC DRG", and defense is greater than magic defense -- dragoon gear that other physical DPS are forbidden from wearing for no good reason
"GLA PLD MRD WAR DRK LNC DRG" and defense and magic defense are equal -- tank gear that dragoons are allowed to wear for no good reason
"GLA PLD MRD WAR DRK" -- tank gear

That said, if your gear is extremely out of date in some slot, you can occasionally find a time when the tank gear you're allowed to wear is better than actual dragoon gear. This is more a sign you should buy some vendor dragoon gear than that you should wear tank gear.

You should always wear the gear with the highest strength bonus. For pink/green/blue/HQ white gear, this is the same as wearing the highest item level gear. NQ whites (i.e., most quest rewards, vendor gear, and lazy crafted gear) have lower strength for their item level normally has, so you can potentially obsolete them with a lower item level.

Starting at level 50, dragoons get their own gear and can't equip anything that isn't for them. Also, quests give HQ gear in heavensward so you don't have to stress out about comparing NQ gear to lower-level dungeon drops.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

EponymousMrYar posted:

Lalafell are bad because people see the panic emote from Tataru/Fufulupa and think 'I wanna be that!' instead of seeing the actions of Momodi, Papashan and Pipin and basing their idea of Lalafells around them.
Or in shorter words, too few people play them for the 'look how badass and cute I am' aspect in favor of the 'OMG LOOK AT ME I'M SO CUTE PET ME PAY ATTENTION TO ME LOVE ME DANGIT' aspect.

Yeah a lot of their animations really play down hard on the former and up on the latter--/panic you mentioned but also things like their duty complete cheer and stuff

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That said I'm mulling over burning yet another :10bux: on yet another fantasia, away from male potatoe, but I have no idea where I'd want to go

Maybe back to femroe, or one variety orother of highlander

Or maybe now's the time to finally try dragon waifu

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I've been thinking about making the switch to Highlander Male since they got that new /pose. Need to let Hulkamania run wild over Eorzea.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

Roegadame / femroe is the light

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lalafell players should just give bad lalafell RP idiots long lectures about their "minstrel show-level mockery of my people."
"Don't get short with me."

"How dare you! That's our word!"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ignimbrite posted:

Roegadame / femroe is the light

Oh for sure it's just kind of a case of been there done that

Then again that didn't stop me going potato several times, so

I think if I ever bothered to add up the number of fantasias I've bought I'd be quite thoroughly ashamed of myself

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I'd been expecting Raid Finder to be bad but my raid group having split up due to tank and healer having a baby I decided to try out Sophia EX in it just to get some experience after watching a video and over two groups I got the kill in five attempts. I am not upset about this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aight yeah I'm gonna go back to femroe again

Anyone want to make a case for Seawolf and their weirdly offputtingly huge lips or shall I do Hellsguard again

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'm confused. Was the maintenance from last night into early this morning just server-side?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Ciaphas posted:

That said I'm mulling over burning yet another :10bux: on yet another fantasia, away from male potatoe, but I have no idea where I'd want to go

Or maybe now's the time to finally try dragon waifu

Perhaps consider waiting to see if the announce a new race that really grabs you for the expansion at fanfest?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Obligatum VII posted:

Perhaps consider waiting to see if the announce a new race that really grabs you for the expansion at fanfest?

I think everyone is hoping for Viera, but I would laugh if they made Nu Mou instead.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

GC squadron is a good feature

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Leofish posted:

I think everyone is hoping for Viera, but I would laugh if they made Nu Mou instead.

Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick with Mary and Judas, is that the model they used for FF12?! I may utterly loathe anything and everything to do with the Tactics Advance games, but gah, that is a far cry from the kind-of-cute-in-their-own-way-manatee-looking-things in those games!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What are the stat requirements for the squadron level 40 rank up mission? I just did 20 and can only see up to 35 and I'd like to at least get my stat training in the proper format to prepare, because it takes a day or two to rejigger it around.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

oh man you're gonna love this

it needs 315 physical, 325 mental and 340 tactical.

after that, every mission needs between 245-530 physical, 265-560 mental and 245-540 tactical. it adds up to a total of 1190 required stats.

your maximum squadron stat (with everyone 50) is 4x194 + 400 bonus, or 1176.

have fun doing those rank 2 missions for a while

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...so what, you just keep doing it and hope to get lucky on the 20 flex? Or what?

(I guess I'll put the extra points in tactical)

and yes, I loving love it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

no, you gotta use Squad Chemistry to increase your stats

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ilifinicus posted:

oh man you're gonna love this

it needs 315 physical, 325 mental and 340 tactical.

after that, every mission needs between 245-530 physical, 265-560 mental and 245-540 tactical. it adds up to a total of 1190 required stats.

your maximum squadron stat (with everyone 50) is 4x194 + 400 bonus, or 1176.

have fun doing those rank 2 missions for a while

I'm not even sure what combination of people I can field to nicely add up to that. But I'm probably a few days out from getting somebody to 40 since I'm trying to keep their levels more or less even.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How do you even unlock new squad chemistries?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

hm, I guess not many people actually use Raid Finder, huh. Was hoping I could get some Sophex practice more easily this way :(

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Verranicus posted:

How do you even unlock new squad chemistries?

There's a chance of a new chemistry being unlocked for any squad member that finishes a Regular mission.

Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!
I didn't think I would like the iron works gear.

Whelp! I'll just put these glamour stones back in the company chest!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Leofish posted:

If they actually added Viera I would be really torn between staying as catgirl or switching.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick with Mary and Judas, is that the model they used for FF12?! I may utterly loathe anything and everything to do with the Tactics Advance games, but gah, that is a far cry from the kind-of-cute-in-their-own-way-manatee-looking-things in those games!

I think there was only one Nu Mou in all of FFXII and he was in the Clan Hall in Rabanastre, behind Montblanc.

I never managed to get to the end of XII though, so maybe there was another one.

Maybe they should add Seeqs as the new race.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
you know what I want even more than egi glamours

being able to make /vpose my actual end of dungeon pose

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

you know what I want even more than egi glamours

being able to make /vpose my actual end of dungeon pose

Try /joy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I mean the other way around

/vpose is way cooler than /joy so I want it to be my end of dungeon animation

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Virulence posted:

GC squadron is a good feature

I see you also recruited the best squad member.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Thundarr posted:

There's a chance of a new chemistry being unlocked for any squad member that finishes a Regular mission.
Oh, is it a chance of chermistry per squad member? I know they only have certain chemistries possible, baked-in. I guess you just kind of have to grind tier 2 reg missions to get a chemistry-heavy squad?

Unrelated but equally stupid question: Is there some site that is like a Wondrous Tails calculator? I really just need odds on rerolling a 7 better than an existing 7, because that is too much combinatorics for me.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Obligatum VII posted:

I see you also recruited the best squad member.
excuse me Khorchi would like a word with your opinion

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm just glad A9S isn't too long of a fight and I've got a ninja to goad me because gently caress there's a lot of AOEing to do in that fight.

They need to adjust monks because more and more skill speed is starting to make TP become a big problem even with a Ninja to toss you a goad or two in that fight and if you don't have a Ninja you're going to need a Bard to top you off, especially if you want to Rockbreaker and hit 3+ adds (plus the boss potentially) since monks drop down to 1.97-1.98 sec GCDs with GL3 and 250 crafted gear. To say nothing of when you get an Arrow from the AST and burn TP at a crazy speed because you turn in to a punchy blender.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What are the stat requirements for the squadron level 40 rank up mission? I just did 20 and can only see up to 35 and I'd like to at least get my stat training in the proper format to prepare, because it takes a day or two to rejigger it around.

It doesn't matter, you're going to need to constantly adjust your squad stat layout for the level 20-35 missions unless you're really lucky with the squad members you have to pick from and even then you're going to have to do so because you aren't likely to hit the 400+ stat requirements for some of them otherwise.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not a great monk by any stretch and I'm only in Aug 240 with a 250 weapon because I'm not spending or getting Alex loot for it but I'm still beginning to see the TP issues.

My number one change for Monk would be to make it so Elixir Field can also go >>>> instead of vvvv. Expansion, make it happen. At least let me throw a rock to range pull. Even if it does 1 damage.

I'm also not exactly sure why Purification only gives 300TP and has a long cooldown and 5 chakra cost while Invigorate does 400, has a long cooldown and is free. Surely Purification should give 500 or so, considering it's a 50+ move and class locked. I'm not massively impressed with any Monk 50+ skills. Elixir Field owns and Form Shift is good but the rest is too situational or rarely used to really change anything. I think they went a bit too far changing Bard into a caster and not far enough adding on Monk.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

They need to adjust monks because more and more skill speed is starting to make TP become a big problem even with a Ninja to toss you a goad or two in that fight and if you don't have a Ninja you're going to need a Bard to top you off, especially if you want to Rockbreaker and hit 3+ adds (plus the boss potentially) since monks drop down to 1.97-1.98 sec GCDs with GL3 and 250 crafted gear. To say nothing of when you get an Arrow from the AST and burn TP at a crazy speed because you turn in to a punchy blender.

Giving arrows to monks and ewers to BLMs is always funny.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Our bard did run a full army's paean in the middle of the fight to help us out. Ninja is lousy with skill speed also apparently.

i like A10S too. So far good raid tier although it's not that hard it's fun.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm not a great monk by any stretch and I'm only in Aug 240 with a 250 weapon because I'm not spending or getting Alex loot for it but I'm still beginning to see the TP issues.

My number one change for Monk would be to make it so Elixir Field can also go >>>> instead of vvvv. Expansion, make it happen. At least let me throw a rock to range pull. Even if it does 1 damage.

I'm also not exactly sure why Purification only gives 300TP and has a long cooldown and 5 chakra cost while Invigorate does 400, has a long cooldown and is free. Surely Purification should give 500 or so, considering it's a 50+ move and class locked. I'm not massively impressed with any Monk 50+ skills. Elixir Field owns and Form Shift is good but the rest is too situational or rarely used to really change anything. I think they went a bit too far changing Bard into a caster and not far enough adding on Monk.

The 3.0 monk abilities make sense if you look at it as patching up things monks were weak at in 2.x.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

hobbesmaster posted:

Giving arrows to monks and ewers to BLMs is always funny.

Also see: giving Spears to MCHs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I'm trying to think of there are any good (or bad) Hellsguard Roegadyns that have a story presence in the game, but the only one that comes to mind is Bronze Bull. In 2.0 he is the guard of the final gate of Halatali Hard who operates the mechanism to reach Mumuepo the Beholden, the final boss of the area. Outside of this place, he briefly appears in one of the final Blacksmith Quests (or was it armorer?). I don't think most people would even realize he's a Hellsguard because he wears a helmet obsuring his face.

Back in 1.0, he had a reasonable presence in Ul'dah's plot. "Bronze Bull" is apparently his pseudonym for the Coliseum. His real name is Greinfarr and he held the title of Coliseum Champion 15 years before the events of Realm Reborn. During this time he would also act as a bodyguard of sorts to F'lhaminn and Niellefresne.

Aside from him... I can't think of anyone. And that's kind of reaching, having to go all the way back to 1.0.

• Locked thread