Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah I mean I don't want to just pile on but she's literally inside the tree-guy's mouth and Cracker is bitching about how they're not only disobeying his orders, but protecting Nami as well. There are words next to the funny pictures of fat Luffy as well this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

key party favors posted:

I agree. it's a fun narrative trick that fits in nicely to One Piece. I don't get why so many people have a chip on their shoulder over it..

sometimes i think people get aggressive in trying to prove one piece as top tier shonen material so much more unique than your narutos or your bleachs and something like haki can clash with that

but yeah haki is neat

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Color of Armaments is important because it keeps logias from being too broken. Similarly, Color of Observation keeps sneak attacks in check, and Color of the Conqueror does the same to physically strong but mindless animals.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it was cool when zoro could hear the breath of all things or usopp was just an insanely good sniper. now it's something anyone can train in. in next year's one piece: the climatact has been mass produced, everyone can talk to animals, anyone can ignite a limb through haki

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

key party favors posted:

I agree. it's a fun narrative trick that fits in nicely to One Piece. I don't get why so many people have a chip on their shoulder over it..

yeah i think people should really sit down and consider: stupid magic systems should fit your narrative.

in stuff like lotr: its to add otherworldly-ness and mysticism to help grow the world and create a sense of wonder and propel a narrative. it seeps from the other layers of the narrative to make for a richer world and you don't often see it used cheaply.

for something like harry potter, it's used to develop a powerful culture, a world within a world, and the goal there is we get to explore it. it is used cheaply, but the purpose is to explore the cultural impact of how modern ideas of magic.

in something like avatar: again, its mostly a cultural thing. if people have magic, it impacts the way the world as a whole functions. its also very genetic and you can see the effects it has there. its also there to make magic and kung fu into visceral cartoon violence safely marketable for children.

in dbz, the magic is trash garbage. its just like "oh yeah well my number is higher" fsr. theres no sense or logic to it. people just do things. it developed at a natural pace which is why too few people call foul, but dbz stupid magic makes zero goddamn sense given the world. but at the same time. dbz however, was also basically being written chapter to chapter and was pretty ahead of its time in terms of Fightmagic Punchcomic so it kinda gets a slide.

in one piece, desire, will, dreams and ambition are all core elements of a story. luffy has arguably the strongest desire to do something out of anyone in the cast, and he's fighting other strong willed opponents. he doesnt kill them, he crushes their dreams which makes them unable to fight any further. the ability to pursue your dream: is magic. the themes of willpower and friendship are prevalent.

nen in hxh is basically the same thing but filled with additional overexplained rules that make it a chore to sit through (but can sometimes make for some clever fights since its sort of like liar game or something in that sense, outwit limitations within your own)

then theres poo poo that sanderson writes. he writes magic systems for the sake of having a magic system. often times they do not support the plot, but they have clear and explicit limitations. his books read more like the nen system than natural extension of the world or culture they live in, which is why he gets a ton of poo poo imo (and why i disagree w/ him).

magic is a tool and one piece does a good job with it

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You're praising OP's not-ki and dissing Sanderson's well-crafted magic systems. I guess this thread is the Bad Opinion Zone.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Sorry, but who is Sanderson?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

haki is neat, I like it

Mraagvpeine posted:

Sorry, but who is Sanderson?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Sanderson

All I know is that he seems to be really big on magic systems. To the point that even his wikipedia page talks about it. And he was brought in to finally finish Wheel of Time.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

oddium posted:

it was cool when zoro could hear the breath of all things or usopp was just an insanely good sniper. now it's something anyone can train in. in next year's one piece: the climatact has been mass produced, everyone can talk to animals, anyone can ignite a limb through haki

Anyone can be a great artist if they try hard enough.

That's kind of the point. Oda is making a statement. That's why it's actually really cool in my opinion. People are only special because of how hard they try.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

key party favors posted:

Anyone can be a great artist if they try hard enough.

That's kind of the point. Oda is making a statement. That's why it's actually really cool in my opinion. People are only special because of how hard they try.

That, and it looks and works interestingly.

I don't mind haki because if the only source of power were Devil Fruits it inherently limits the potential of every character that doesn't have one. It's a punchmagic named Ambition and that's clever as heck.

It should also surprise no one that I read Kill Six Billion Demons.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I hope that when Vegapunk is introduced and devil fruits are explained we learn that their nature is tied into willpower and such, hence why you can punch fire if you want to bad enough.

I like the explanation of haki as simply being able to do crazy stuff through sheer force of will. I mean, willpower is a finite resource. You can spend all day focusing on eating healthy and avoiding snacks in your office, but after dealing with work and whatever life throws at you your willpower can still give out and you'll grab a cupcake. Except in One Piece instead of caving and eating a cupcake you can't turn your muscles into balloons and punch guys hard anymore.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Advice posted:

Luffy just took out a yonkou's right hand man, aka a Jack equivalent, with a new move based on a stomach full of wet biscuits. Imagine what he could do with a stomach full of Sanji's cooking...

Doesn't he got like 200 power up recipes or something now? Fucker needs his fill, the future King's got a fight with Kaidou down in Wano

White Light fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 7, 2016

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Xarbala posted:

That, and it looks and works interestingly.

I don't mind haki because if the only source of power were Devil Fruits it inherently limits the potential of every character that doesn't have one. It's a punchmagic named Ambition and that's clever as heck.

It should also surprise no one that I read Kill Six Billion Demons.

KSBD is pretty wonderful. There are some great web-comics out there, but I am biased.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

anime was right posted:

in dbz, the magic is trash garbage. its just like "oh yeah well my number is higher" fsr. theres no sense or logic to it. people just do things. it developed at a natural pace which is why too few people call foul, but dbz stupid magic makes zero goddamn sense given the world. but at the same time. dbz however, was also basically being written chapter to chapter and was pretty ahead of its time in terms of Fightmagic Punchcomic so it kinda gets a slide.

give me an example cause dbz ki is basically just an outward extension of punchpower and the numbers never really mater.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Elfgames posted:

give me an example cause dbz ki is basically just an outward extension of punchpower and the numbers never really mater.

I don't remember where I heard the quote, but it was basically "Toriyama was a gag mangaka who fell rear end-backwards into one of the greatest fight shonen manga of all time" Some series are way more 'technical' about fights, I wouldn't call One Piece a 'Technical Fight Manga', it has it's own very loose narrative voice for fights, and I find that's the best way to look at it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sarcophallus posted:

Nami had the defense of her Homies. How's Cracker going to get through that?

after all the awful use of nakama i cracked up at homies being the translation

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jose posted:

after all the awful use of nakama i cracked up at homies being the translation

I don't think it's a translation, Oda is actually using the word "Homies" in katakana for their name. Which is pretty great.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

key party favors posted:

I don't remember where I heard the quote, but it was basically "Toriyama was a gag mangaka who fell rear end-backwards into one of the greatest fight shonen manga of all time"
This pretty much goes without saying given the tone of the original Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Super and the 2010s DBZ movies have ended up as this wonderful compromise of the original Dragon Ball's irreverence and humour and DBZ's COOL LASER BEAMS battles, it loving owns imho

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nen is really good and power levels never matter. in fact, they actively lie to you because people can hold back. I think the last time they were ever brought up was before freeza died. haki's not particularly different from dbz ki in practice

also I liked the magic system in the mistborn books. never read anything else of sanderson's but that was neat

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Remember when they introduced power levels for CP9 for one chapter, then never, ever brought them up again? Masterful trolling by Oda there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't think it's a translation, Oda is actually using the word "Homies" in katakana for their name. Which is pretty great.

lmao. does twat have katakana for it?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I think my extra distaste for haki comes from the fan base which is kinda unfair. It's just dbz ki. Gokus power level goes up? He's faster and stronger. Luffys haki goes up? He's faster (better color of observation) and stronger (better color of armament). The other guy itt that said many people try to avoid admitting that for OP resonated with me, cuz I feel our fan base avoids admitting that as well.

Honestly it's only annoying in the story when characters are saying poo poo like "your haki can't cut mine!!" Or "luffy needs to recharge his haki for 5 minutes!"

Other applications like cool gear 4th are awesome, but on the whole I wish oda didn't have to introduce it but whatever overall

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its because zorak threatened to probate you for it imo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The zorak era was kind of strange

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Remember when they introduced power levels for CP9 for one chapter, then never, ever brought them up again? Masterful trolling by Oda there.

I think it did come up again a couple of times, but only because the wolf guy kept bitching about being ranked third

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I think haki is ok. It's not dbz ki, though.

Also if you don't think Sanderson is a pretty good fantasy writer then you are wrong. Pretty much every (well regarded) fantasy series involving use of magic (in whatever specific form it happens to take) has a pretty rigorous system to contain its use. That's just good writing. A story that allows the limitless and uninhibited use of magic would be boring as hell.

Mistborn good, Stormlight Archive very good.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I think you guys are really missing the point when it comes to like haki levels and power levels. It's just the personification of battle experience, the experience gained in every fight goku/luffy have been through are measurable in their respective fictional worlds because they're fictional worlds. In one piece they use bounties now. Even this chapter had something like "luffy vs 800mil bounty guy"

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Xarbala posted:

Yeah but he got rid of a lot of the creepy people and pedos here though which is good imho

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'm going to clear this up for everyone. I'm the most right about One Piece, and I'm going to get the poneglyphs before all of you.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

This pretty much goes without saying given the tone of the original Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Super and the 2010s DBZ movies have ended up as this wonderful compromise of the original Dragon Ball's irreverence and humour and DBZ's COOL LASER BEAMS battles, it loving owns imho

people have a weird memory of og dragonball. its only a gag manga for like two volumes.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I like this arc because of all the crackers and homies in it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I should read original Dragonball, it looks like fun and I don't care about Z.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Law Cheetah posted:

people have a weird memory of og dragonball. its only a gag manga for like two volumes.

Yes, I remember the deadly serious scene where Master Roshi sealed King Piccolo in a rice cooker.

I mean it wasn't Dr. Slump but DB was pretty goofy up to the end.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

I think haki is ok. It's not dbz ki, though.

Also if you don't think Sanderson is a pretty good fantasy writer then you are wrong. Pretty much every (well regarded) fantasy series involving use of magic (in whatever specific form it happens to take) has a pretty rigorous system to contain its use. That's just good writing. A story that allows the limitless and uninhibited use of magic would be boring as hell.

Mistborn good, Stormlight Archive very good.

No they don't. Keeping your magic abstract and mystical without a rigid system beyond 'strong, smart, virtuous/evil and/or enlightened people can tell the laws of physics to gently caress off harder' is perfectly acceptable in a story. Consider the Force from
Star Wars (forget midi-chlorians, those never went anywhere meaningful), the magic of Berserk and Ancient Magus Bride, and the witchcraft of fairy-tales. There are technical details here and there in those, but they're window-dressing for a very personal, unpredictable process, where the logic is based on cunning and emotion rather than hard numbers. Sanderson treats magic as a science, with precisely-understood mechanisms, processes, and resources to achieve a specific effect. It's not a bad thing to treat it as an art.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Begemot posted:

Yes, I remember the deadly serious scene where Master Roshi sealed King Piccolo in a rice cooker.

Or Tien's deadly volleyball attack.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I think you guys are really missing the point when it comes to like haki levels and power levels. It's just the personification of battle experience, the experience gained in every fight goku/luffy have been through are measurable in their respective fictional worlds because they're fictional worlds. In one piece they use bounties now. Even this chapter had something like "luffy vs 800mil bounty guy"

Vegeta has Krillin fire a destructo disk at him when they're allies bc saiyans gain power number when they heal.

That said the whole point of power levels was that this alien group of bad guys had a way they measured power, except all the earth fighters had learned to hide their power and also sends the power of others. Then in the next arc Cell hides his own power until he's strong enough to start winning.

The whole point was always that scouters were unreliable and the very strong aliens actually had a certain disadvantage against Anime Guerilla Warfare.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Begemot posted:

its only goofy in the same way that One Piece is, and nobody talks about One Piece like its an irreverent gag manga

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's very good, and it's cool to see where many other manga artists got a lot of their inspiration.

Xarbala posted:

RIP C. Martin Croker :(

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The First 194 chapters of Dragonball are pure gold. I really recommend them, especially if you like One Piece ...and yeah, I don't really care for the Saiyan stuff, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Law Cheetah posted:

its only goofy in the same way that One Piece is, and nobody talks about One Piece like its an irreverent gag manga

I'd say that One Piece is a couple notches more serious than Dragon Ball, but you're right that neither are a straight up gag manga. That was Dr. Slump.

The biggest difference between Oda and his contemporaries is that he was clearly aiming to mimic Dragon Ball, while everyone else was shooting for DBZ. This is reflected in everything from the setting to the character designs to how haki works compared to chakra or reiatsu.