Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Vegg220 posted:

Gbs, 1986: oh so not only is she an expert on aliens she's also better at tactics than military commanders AND can fight in a power loader AND operate a machine gun and flamethrower as good as a marine after 20 seconds of training AND she's a supermom? This is why I'm voting for David Duke

Ripley karate chops Dallas before he lets Kane back into the ship then singlehandly pilots the Nostromo back to earth because she saw the captain do it and saves the crews from the alien (also the space army blows up the alien planet too).

Kyle Reese is about dive to save Sarah Conner from the Terminator when he is shot by the Terminator. Naturally, Sarah front flips over the Terminator, appears behind them, and crushes his head with between hands because she saw a bouncer do it. Then, she kisses Kyle Reese's sleeping body as she is teleported to the future where her waiting son John Conner (something something close time loop) hands her the shotgun Reese had and she leads him in war against the Machines.

temple fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Vegg I liked your posts in the CineD thread saying that the prequels were bad. You should go back and make more.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Krinkle posted:

Vegg ... You should go back ...to CineD

Thats better. Shes not a Mary Sue, she can just do everything and never fails, jeez guys misogyny much?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Wait Vegg isn't a Dare rereg? Could have fooled me.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Sarah Connor is about as far from a Mary Sue as you can possibly get, in the first movie at least.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't think Rey was a Mary Sue and don't really think it would be a problem if she was anyway but don't really care enough to argue. But I also thought the gbs consensus was against the Mary Sue thing because max landis said it first and no one likes him.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I think Rey is the definition of a Mary Sue. But people like Mary Sues and it offends them when you slur their favorite character. Its like calling someone a racist. Nobody thinks they are racist, that's what those other guys are.

If Luke was Rey, he would have force pulled Obi-Wan's light saber and fought Vadar in A New Hope. He would have force suggested the trash compactor to stop. He would have flown a ship himself from Tatooine. Luke blew up the Death Star but it was with the help and deaths of several other people.

temple fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 7, 2016

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

temple posted:

I think Rey is the definition of a Mary Sue. But people like Mary Sues and it offends them when you slur their favorite character. Its like calling someone a racist. Nobody thinks they are racist, that's what those other guys are.

If Luke was Rey, he would have force pulled Obi-Wan's light saber and fought Vadar in A New Hope. He would have force suggested the trash compactor to stop. He would have flown a ship himself from Tatooine. Luke blew up the Death Star but it was with the help and deaths of several other people.

you know who else was force overpowered.

anaken skywalker, aka DARTH VADER??

more proof rey is gonna turn evil.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Rey sort of sounds more like a modern teen anime protagonist. Is she sort of emotionally and socially awkward, though?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Luckily everyone dies but her in the third movie so we can get the 4th one which is the best one.

I really do like Resurrection better than Alien 3.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

JediTalentAgent posted:

Rey sort of sounds more like a modern teen anime protagonist. Is she sort of emotionally and socially awkward, though?

That raises an interesting question. The First Order Stromtroopers have been totally dehumanized. Their names were taken away, all they do is fight and follow orders. All they know is the First Order, they don't have access to culture. Has anybody tried singing to them?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Kylo Ren is Dark Helmet.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

temple posted:

Because it's trying to label something in a way that puts it in the same class as lovely self-insertion fan fiction, instead of actually trying to argue why the character is bad. And it's just meaningless and lazy. And what exactly is the argument, that she has a lot of abilities? Ok and that is so bad how? It's obviously part of the story that she is special somehow. Do you also think Clark Kent is a Mary Sue? It's just dumb to even use that phrase unless it's clearly self insertion.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 7, 2016

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
https://www.twitch.tv/previouslyrecorded_live/v/93230132

Click this link and about half an hour in Josh and Jay show up. Jay is never on camera.

Josh and Jack discuss Jazz and which Jazz you should and which Jazz you should not and why.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

reignofevil posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/previouslyrecorded_live/v/93230132

Click this link and about half an hour in Josh and Jay show up. Jay is never on camera.

Josh and Jack discuss Jazz and which Jazz you should and which Jazz you should not and why.

That sounds horrible to listen to. It was kind of lame for them to trash free form jazz in the review which actually has a lot of complex theory going on in it. Jazz in general is pretty cool from a technical perspective but I'm not too into it.

If they want to be elitist assholes then the first thing you take down is smooth jazz.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Anything Luke can do, Rey can do better.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Anything Luke can do, Rey can do better.

That's right, MariusLecter. Luke took three whole movies to learn how to wield a lightsaber enough to beat the bad guy, Rey did it in a few minutes.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
From what I remember from half listening to Jack and Josh; they think that jazz is good but a lot of it is not particularly easy to listen to if you have no prior appreciation for it. They then recommend some Jazz that should be good for everybody and talk about why some albums can be skillful but still not for everyone.

Idk Mike was probably just making a joke. Ha ha. That mike.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

reignofevil posted:

Jay is never on camera.

No surprise after all the mean comments earlier about his looks. You people ruined his self esteem.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Yes she can!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Yes she can!

No she can't!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

Because it's trying to label something in a way that puts it in the same class as lovely self-insertion fan fiction, instead of actually trying to argue why the character is bad. And it's just meaningless and lazy. And what exactly is the argument, that she has a lot of abilities? Ok and that is so bad how? It's obviously part of the story that she is special somehow. Do you also think Clark Kent is a Mary Sue? It's just dumb to even use that phrase unless it's clearly self insertion.

A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment.

Hmmmm seems to fit Rey to a T, except for the self insert part.

Superman is unable to save his dad and Lois at one point. He is often put in the position to decide between two people to save when only one can be saved. At least in the Chris Reeves movies, which are the last superman movies I watched.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 7, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
She's a self insert for every woman you think is too big for her britches / didn't date you?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Schweinhund posted:

JJ Abrams wants to be a pretty Jedi girl duh

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I just noticed this off to the side when I searched for mary sue:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
again max landis made a tweet about it and everyone rushed to make fun of him for it and go boy max landis sure is dumb and tweets dumb things but now everyone's forgotten he first postulated the "rey is a mary sue" theorem and everyone's fine with it now

so is slenderman, apparently, i was unaware that everyone loved slenderman and that he did things too well.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Schweinhund posted:

Because it's trying to label something in a way that puts it in the same class as lovely self-insertion fan fiction, instead of actually trying to argue why the character is bad.

You seriously can't recognize lazy writing and the lack of a real character arc?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

again max landis made a tweet about it and everyone rushed to make fun of him for it and go boy max landis sure is dumb and tweets dumb things but now everyone's forgotten he first postulated the "rey is a mary sue" theorem and everyone's fine with it now

I don't pay attention to Max Landis or his twitter. I came to the same conclusion as him by, you know, watching the movie.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Man; it seems like a million years ago that I thought that girl looks like the girl who plays Daenerys.

I haven't gotten any less faceblind but I've at least move on with my life.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Andro Dunos posted:

You seriously can't recognize lazy writing and the lack of a real character arc?

When ANH came out, you had to have an arc because you might not get a sequel.

TFA was basically written with the idea that it was one of three.

:tenbux: on Rey going evil and Kylo going good.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

When ANH came out, you had to have an arc because you might not get a sequel.

TFA was basically written with the idea that it was one of three.

:tenbux: on Rey going evil and Kylo going good.

Good Kylo would still be a fuckup though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

monster on a stick posted:

Good Kylo would still be a fuckup though.

That's what will make us love him. :3:

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
are people in CineD serious

I thought it was like a fyad-lite for movies, im so confused

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ThePeavstenator posted:

That sounds horrible to listen to. It was kind of lame for them to trash free form jazz in the review which actually has a lot of complex theory going on in it. Jazz in general is pretty cool from a technical perspective but I'm not too into it.

If they want to be elitist assholes then the first thing you take down is smooth jazz.

Jazz sucks

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Kylo will definitely become a good guy despite murdering dozens of innocent people in the first movie and being part of the team that blew up 3 planets. He'll smile and give us a thumbs up and then he'll be a good guy for sure, lets forget about the genocides

Rey will turn into a bad guy despite showing no darkness in her personality at all and generally being an upstanding super good guy throughout the first movie, constantly trying to save people to the best of her abilities. She'll suddenly dress in dark and frown a bit and then start genociding people for reasons

Sorry but the first movie didn't set any of this up so if their plan is for a role reversal they did gone done a bad job of it

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Scionix posted:

are people in CineD serious

I thought it was like a fyad-lite for movies, im so confused

to a certain extent yes it's serious, but they glaze a thin but sufficient layer of irony over it all so that they can have their cake and eat it to re: telling people who challenge them "you just don't get it" (except it's actually not hard at all to get and they're still ultimately just huffing their own farts)

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

JB50 posted:

A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment.

Hmmmm seems to fit Rey to a T, except for the self insert part.

Superman is unable to save his dad and Lois at one point. He is often put in the position to decide between two people to save when only one can be saved. At least in the Chris Reeves movies, which are the last superman movies I watched.

How does facing a tough decision go against being a "Mary Sue"? Plus (spoiler) Rey watched Han die right in front of her just like Superman with his dad, so by that logic she isn't a Mary Sue either. And Superman saved Lois by making the earth go backwards, lol. Seems like a perfect fit for "low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities".

The point though is calling something Mary Sue is just a cheap and lazy way to label it as being bad. A character with a lot of unrealistic abilities can be a good character if it's done right, like with Superman. And I think Rey is a good character too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I remember all the names of the main characters in Force Awakens so they are cool and good to me.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Luke and Rey will be training on the Jedi Planet with lots of unresolved sexual tension that explodes into a torrid affair that's part Last Tango in Paris part 9 1/2 Weeks. Luke will make those little just-add-water rolls using sweat from Rey's taut little tumtum and then eat them up very seductively and have a bunch of crumbs and poo poo in his bushy beard while he makes out with her and cums.

There Mike there's your sex in Star Wars.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Force cumming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Jay and Mike having severe alcohol poisoning, on stretchers in the hospital next to one another barely conscious, sharing the same IV

• Locked thread