Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Possibly, but I would guess that it's no more stigmatizing than going to Las Vegas. Families go to Vegas all the time and have fun. People of all sorts come and do whatever and then report back or not depending on what they get up to. I am sure the unofficial slogan of Vegas, "Whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" applies to Westworld, but only so much as it does to Vegas. You can have a fine time there without resorting to depraved amoral activities, but those activities are definitely there.

Pretty much this.

Though, it sounds like Westworld is way more luxury than Vegas. You don't need to be super rich to go to Vegas; a normal person knows what debauchery you can get into there. Westworld seems like something very few people could possibly access. It's probably so out of reach, the nuance and degree of hosed up poo poo you can do there is an absolute mystery to most people. Like, maybe people get you can rob the bank or capture an outlaw, but "rape a weeping farmgirl" is maybe not on the brochure.

(I think "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" was actually the official tourism board slogan. Which is pretty absurd to consider in and of itself.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Megaspel posted:

Yeah my bad, I was gonna put a efb on there. I tend to reply to posts before I've fully caught up, since the thread moves so fast and I usually read little bits over a longer period of time.

One thing that I never figured out an answer for consciousness, (okay I haven't figured out most answers for it,) what happens if you split someone's brain perfectly down the middle, 50/50, then gave each side a clone of the other half?

Which clone is the original, are both? What happens to the 'you', your consciousness/experience? Which side do you go on, or is it at that moment you split into two and the past you exists as two separate you's?

That question really messed with my sense of what defines me, there's so much of your brain that exists but isn't being used at any one moment. Even if you believe the real you is the parts of your brain that doesn't die and replenish, which part of those cells are you, and if you get alzeimers and those bits die, are you dead?

This reminded me of the split-brain problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah, but in (almost) every video game violence is in service to the plot so there are consequences to the violence, even of that consequence is nothing more than "that guy I killed would have killed me/needed to die so I could get to the warp zone." The point of the narratives is to establish consequence within the context of the park. Dumpy McHusband killed the bank robber because he was a wannabe hero, not a wannabe murderer. The lack of consequence works for him only as long as he doesn't hesitate or think too much because the park has given him God Mode. The second bandit will fumble with his gun however long he needs to so he can be gunned down. The park isn't a video game as much as it is a very detailed choose your own adventure.

That's why the rootin' tootin' black hat guest falls flat for me. The point of murder is finality and the consequences thereof. I'm sure that there are people who would commit random murder if they could, but I imagine that the knowledge that the victim could be put back into service the next day would leave the experience hollow. Hell, for the price of one week in the park you could probably murder like 3 real people without consequence in CertainPartsofAsiaWorld. Why on earth would you pay the same amount to cosplay the discount version?

Ummm, lots of people feel some kind of emotional turmoil when killing NPCs? If you've ever obeyed traffic laws in a GTA game or savescummed because a party member died in an RPG: you also fall into this category...

Also, in case anyone missed it by avoiding wading through the midweek thread, episode 1 is free-to-stream on HBO's website: no subscription required.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This reminded me of the split-brain problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8
Oh dang this is great, as well as the video afterwards. Thinking about what I am and the fuzziness of it really feels a bit like the androids asking the question that must not be asked. I need to start reading more about this stuff, I feel super smart when I come up with all the questions and thought experiments on my own but obviously there have been a lot of smarter people than me thinking about these concepts for a lot longer than I have.

Ummm, lots of people feel some kind of emotional turmoil when killing NPCs? If you've ever obeyed traffic laws in a GTA game or savescummed because a party member died in an RPG: you also fall into this category...

Also, in case anyone missed it by avoiding wading through the midweek thread, episode 1 is free-to-stream on HBO's website: no subscription required.

Undertale plays with the idea of empathy towards video game characters amazingly well, that's what the whole thing is sorta centred around.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Megaspel posted:

Oh dang this is great, as well as the video afterwards. Thinking about what I am and the fuzziness of it really feels a bit like the androids asking the question that must not be asked. I need to start reading more about this stuff, I feel super smart when I come up with all the questions and thought experiments on my own but obviously there have been a lot of smarter people than me thinking about these concepts for a lot longer than I have.

Undertale plays with the idea of empathy towards video game characters amazingly well, that's what the whole thing is sorta centred around.

Kurzgesagt is awesome, it's actually how I found the split-brain video! I feel you on the super smartness: I'm always left wondering whether I came up with the idea independently, or if I had just read/seen it somewhere else and don't remember. It's almost certainly the latter each time.

I've never played Undertale, but Heavy Rain toyed almost exclusively with this concept (if you can get past David Cage's obsession with 90's filmmaking). One of the Nolan's talked specifically about playing GTA and feeling guilty about running over an NPC: wondering whether they had a family and health insurance. I'm certain these concepts will be addressed more directly later in the season.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

I'm certain these concepts will be addressed more directly later in the season.

It's exciting to think about the different philosophical and ethical threads they can pursue. A lot of what it means to be a human, to be sentient, to be worthy of rights/protections.

And at some point they will probably shine the light on us, the viewers, watching this show as voyeurs of the same kind of violence that people in the show are paying to be a part of. Fascinating.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's always dick o'clock in Westworld

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

If you've ever obeyed traffic laws in a GTA game

I'm pretty sure almost nobody has ever done this. But I've heard plenty of people saying the torture scene with Trevor in GTA V was too much for them even if it was mostly an interactive cutscene.

I think the question is "does this NPC scream and cry and beg and how 'far' does the game let you go, and if it lets you go as far as you want how far is 'too far'"? Video game violence is usually a lot less graphic or brutal than people think, and it's usually either over stylized or exaggerated (like Postal 2) or kind of muted and de-emphasized (like a GTA game). No video game has ever really portrayed totally realistic violence with people who react like real human beings, not in the the way Westworld allows.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Yeah I'm one of those idiots.

I've become a lot more relaxed in recent years, however I still feel a compulsion to ensure as many nameless bots as possible survive.

One memory floats to the surface, was playing Sleeping Dogs, had a part of the story that was on rails where I couldn't save an NPC - when the mission triggered I immediately jacked a car and this was on the radio.

As was fanging it towards the objective (definitely not obeying traffic laws), I became certain I was too late and I just felt rotten - over a goddamn imaginary Cantonese gangbanger.

I also feel the compulsion to murder NPCs on general principal - I have saved screenshoots of one of the main characters in Farcry4 getting an elephant gun in the back before dragging their body and dumping them in a stream... don't know why I felt the need to document that but child soldiers is apparently something that sets me off :black101:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I don't savescum when losing NPCs because my failure as a leader caused this turmoil and I must live with the regret of fallen comrades

uftheory
May 30, 2003

JossiRossi posted:

The way Nolan explained it in an interview is that the guns are normal guns, but the bullets are special. He called them simunitions. The military uses something similar as practice bullets, they fire, and even hit people, but it's just a sting like a BB gun. However, if a simunition hits a Host, then basically their body tears itself open as if it'd been shot.

Nolan was pretty casual in explaining this, so maybe it will come up, maybe not? I don't think it is too spoilery but just in case.

Did Nolan really say anything about Hosts tearing their bodies apart or having squibs inside of them (including in the jaw and in the neck and anywhere else someone wants to shoot)? Wasn't in the interview I read....

Terms and conditions: posted:

All weapons and equipment used within Delos parks are the exclusive property of Delos, Inc. Gun ammunition contains proprietary safeguards related to bullet velocity

Sounds like from the materials it's about the bullet velocity so I just assumed if you point at a guest the velocity is reduced to non-lethal speeds.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Episode 2 is out.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

Episode 2 is out.

ughhhhhh

Is this how I finally sign up for hbo? at 12:30am on a school night???

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Even when replaying some games I sometimes make the same choices because I just can't do some evil alternatives in some quests :shobon:

I don't think I could do vile stuff even if it was against non sentient robots in some WestWorld parks.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Episode 2 is on hbogo.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i did like the refernece that guy made to going pure evil on his 2nd or 3rd play through

I normally play games straight but then i realize wtf am i doing its a game. so in fallout new vegas i decided to be the maniac of the wastes and eat everyone i met

got a perk for it!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

ughhhhhh

Is this how I finally sign up for hbo? at 12:30am on a school night???

Yes it is.

I just got to the Anthony Hopkins meeting his younger self/Back door into the game world.

I'm also wearing my Black Hat.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Oh and for all the good/evil people ITT. So far this episode is showing the great divide.

I'll, leave it at that.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kontradaz posted:

Episode 2 is out.

We're going to watch that poor, sweet little farmgirl android endure every form of perversion and fetish known to man, aren't we?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spoiler episode 2 chat for fucks sake.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

Spoiler episode 2 chat for fucks sake.

I'm speculating. I haven't finished poo poo yet.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Also I can sense some Buddhist allegory in the show.

The androids live a constant cycle of suffering. They exist within Samsara, taking on one form or the next, forever suffering and in ignorance of the true nature of things.

Those that gain enlightenment, see a glimpse of the truth of their world. But enlightenment is fleeting and temporary, and they wake up upon the next turn of the great wheel living in the same darkness.

Those that transcend, they know the truth. They see the world for how it really is, and transcend samsara (by being locked in a basement for all time)

I also suspect that Siddhartha Gautama would also say that it is right to treat the androids with dignity. Since we have programmed and improved them to have increasingly more humanlike reactions and motivations, it becomes less and less important to ask if they are philosophical zombies. They will respond in a humanlike way to what is done to them, and their choices are part of the endless knot of karmic causes and effects.

That's not to diminish the real differences between homo sapiens and the hosts. The hosts have a way of being debugged and reprogrammed like us being hypnotized with complete effectiveness. Hosts develop their identities in their own particular way. These and other differences contribute the the complexity of the knot.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DoctorGonzo posted:

Episode 2 is on hbogo.

HBONow, as well. :awesome:

Why did I have to notice seven hours before work... :smith:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

How do people still use that smiley, they changed it like 10 years ago.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Whelp, I'm hooked.

A lot of what we have discussed, got answered.

Go watch it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Krazyface posted:

How do people still use that smiley, they changed it like 10 years ago.

It's almost like I did it on purpose. :crossarms:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

It's almost like I did it on purpose. :crossarms:

Does that smile look like anything to you? :)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Comics writer Ed Brubaker is apparently a producer. I hope he does some writing too because Ed Brubaker is awesome.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
That Gentlemen gets whatever he wants.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Looking forward to another episode of Lead Writer Gets Owned next week :allears:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Holy fuckernuts, episode 2 is just as good as one. Im hooked.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Episode 2 is terrific. Answers a lot of questions that were asked in this thread, raises a ton more.

This show is amazing.

There are some truly terrifying scenes showing how the hosts are treated by the company as well. Scenes that make you want them to rise up and just murder everyone.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 7, 2016

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
"It's the details that keep people coming back."

poo poo's getting pretty meta up in here.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Trivia posted:

"It's the details that keep people coming back."

poo poo's getting pretty meta up in here.

The Devil is in the details. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WarLocke posted:

An argument can be made that even the brain is only the physical support structure for the actual 'you', which is the network of electrical impulses and chemical bath that contains your personality and memories. Changes to the brain can cause changes to the personality, but that's no different than suffering significant changes (amputation, etc) in other body parts - trauma can cause changes, whether to the brain or not.

It's similar to the (theoretical) problems with cloning - if you could make a perfect clone of someone, the clone's brain would be identical to the original. But their formative experiences and memories will be different, and thus result in a new, separate individual (who happens to be physically identical to their progenitor).

The clone's brain wouldn't be identical - the overall structure is the same in most humans, but on a detailed level our brains are continuously rewiring and changing the structure of the internal connections. The 'data' of who we are is encoded into the ever-changing physical layout.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

MikeJF posted:

The clone's brain wouldn't be identical - the overall structure is the same in most humans, but on a detailed level our brains are continuously rewiring and changing the structure of the internal connections. The 'data' of who we are is encoded into the ever-changing physical layout.

What time is it?

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy
EP 2 Chat: The Man in Black did a weird thing to his revolver's hammer before he shot the guy through the wall. I am not a gun guy, so IDK if that is an actual part, but in order to penetrate the wall, wouldn't the ammo have to act differently than it usually has so far?
I think he might be able to switch to actual bullet mode, which could mean he is trusted by the park to only use it on hosts, or that he brings his own gear, or that he is being provided equipment by some scheming company member.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

As somebody who's played his fair share of MMORPGs, I love how much this series seems to resemble one. I have no idea if it's because they're directly taking notes from the likes of Ultima Online and WoW, or if it's just the sort of natural conclusions that you would reach from creating a fleshed out world like this, but it's interesting to see the dynamic of (episode 2 spoilers) William and his friend. The friend is like the typical power gamer who beelines from main quest to main quest and doesn't actually read any of the dialogue, while William stops for every little quest hook like the old man who fell off the horse. Also like the touch of giving William the white hat and his friend the black.

But yeah, lots more questions now about everything that's going on. Hopefully they'll actually get answered instead of going the way of :lost:

LordThorn posted:

EP 2 Chat: The Man in Black did a weird thing to his revolver's hammer before he shot the guy through the wall. I am not a gun guy, so IDK if that is an actual part, but in order to penetrate the wall, wouldn't the ammo have to act differently than it usually has so far?
I think he might be able to switch to actual bullet mode, which could mean he is trusted by the park to only use it on hosts, or that he brings his own gear, or that he is being provided equipment by some scheming company member.

While he's sitting at the table, you can see him load an extra large cartridge into the middle of the cylinder. Tweaking the hammer causes it to fire that one instead.

Is that an actual weapon because that was sick as gently caress

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LordThorn posted:

he is a "gold" subscriber. I set out the difference in price by the estimate I posted earlier. Gold subscribers are given a "fast track" to the parks most deepest secrets and the best and most sophisticated weaponry.

He was seen adding a shotgun sized shell to his revolver, along with adjusting the hammer on his revolver before taking the shot. Also, his ammo belt holds three shotgun sized shells, which fit the center cylinder of his gun. the same gun he takes apart in front of the family. It looks like he has nine shots of "park ammunition" and one "special shot".

This is a person whom has purchased the "gold package" He is exempt from many of the parks, "regular rules"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Try 50 minutes before work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is there a synopsis anywhere or does anyone want to be a sweet heart and write a quick one? I'm actually out of town this weekend and I'm going to miss it.

• Locked thread