Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Schweinhund posted:

How does facing a tough decision go against being a "Mary Sue"? Plus (spoiler) Rey watched Han die right in front of her just like Superman with his dad, so by that logic she isn't a Mary Sue either. And Superman saved Lois by making the earth go backwards, lol. Seems like a perfect fit for "low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities".

The point though is calling something Mary Sue is just a cheap and lazy way to label it as being bad. A character with a lot of unrealistic abilities can be a good character if it's done right, like with Superman. And I think Rey is a good character too.

Except it was Superman's adopted dad who he grew up with. Han was some old grumpy guy Rey met a few hours before. I think most people would be more depressed at seeing their father figure die than someone who yelled "get off my lawn spaceship" but perhaps that is just me.

But keep on thinking Rey is a good character because something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
do movies even come out anymore?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Rey is a bad character and a Mary Sue but it's fine it'll probably be fine.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

reignofevil posted:

Josh and Jack discuss Jazz

I'm not sure I've ever heard a less appealing video description.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Sorry but the first movie didn't set any of this up so if their plan is for a role reversal they did gone done a bad job of it

Are you one of these people who like their plot neatly tied up with a bow and closure in the last 5 minutes of a movie?
Are you... a Mike?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
how about someone who likes a little motivation for their huge plot swings? I mean that's certainly not the only way things could go in the sequels but if it does go that way then it would be bad if there is zero setup for it in the sequels as well since there was certainly zero setup for it in TFA

or it could just get sprung on everyone in an m night shamylan style SUPER SURPRISE TWIST - that will sell tickets right?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

monster on a stick posted:

Except it was Superman's adopted dad who he grew up with. Han was some old grumpy guy Rey met a few hours before. I think most people would be more depressed at seeing their father figure die than someone who yelled "get off my lawn spaceship" but perhaps that is just me.

But keep on thinking Rey is a good character because something.
Keep believing she is bad because a guy with a my little pony haircut said so.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Schweinhund posted:

Xer name is Rainbow Dash ffs.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

Junkfist posted:

Rey is a bad character and a Mary Sue but it's fine it'll probably be fine.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

rey was kinda boring tbqh but then again so were all the other new characters and episode 7 was bad

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

reignofevil posted:

Josh and Jack discuss Jay's jizz

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Finn is terrified of war and has a comrade dying in his arms. Then proceeds to shoot people a lot and be very gung-ho about it too!

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Harrison-Ford-the-character is millimeters away from saying out loud "Well this is a Star Wars movie! we should do X, Y and Z! Wow, we did! And it worked!"

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Leia is good tho. I got nothing on Leia. gently caress that cripple dog.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

aren't finn and ray and pud supposed to be in their 30s why do they act like teenagers

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They're in their late teens early 20's if I recall. Rey is 19 i think.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
The Finn character is so great, love that they put a retard pussy coward in the sci fi space adventure. just what this franchise needs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Trunko posted:

The Finn character is so great, love that they put a retard pussy coward in the sci fi space adventure. just what this franchise needs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's definitely a thing that Rey is a little too universally competent and Finn doesn't seem to do much but I also think a lot of people jerkin hard about the Mary Sue thing fundamentally missed part of what was going on on screen, like that Kylo is more bluster and emotion than skill and is already mortally wounded by Chewbacca and emotionally on-tilt when the final duel starts.

Like it's ridiculous to compare her beating him to Luke beating Vader, when the entire point of the character is that he's a deluded wuss failing to live up the Badass Sith Lord reputation.

Follow my Blog, for More

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

wizard on a water slide posted:

Like it's ridiculous to compare her beating him to Luke beating Vader, when the entire point of the character is that he's a deluded wuss failing to live up the Badass Sith Lord reputation.

Follow my Blog, for More

Ren was the grandson of Vadar, trained by Vadar's son and Hero of the Republic, and empowered by the Sith.
Rey, literally nobody from a desert, probably iliterate and uneducated.

Who wins? Why?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

If Rey just didn't mindtrick that guy completely out of nowhere then I don't think I'd mind the character at all, but she does, so it's just...huh.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Im fine with her being a natural
Shes goku, basically

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
man did they really need to do a nearly one hour recap of the prequels just to lead in?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
fyi rey is probably some kind of force manifestation based on ep 8 leaks, so, yeah

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think just it's a trend in creating new characters in things. Sort of like the quote about Kung Fu Panda I think I quoted in the other RLM thread we had: "If you asked a Chinese to make this movie, the panda needs to be lovable but in a perfect sense," said Sun Lijun, a professor of animation at the Beijing Movie Institute, in the July 10 issue of Oriental Outlook magazine. "In the end, he would be so perfect he would be unlovable."

A lot of new characters in just about everything is presented in a way that sort of keeps them from being flawed and made lovable; they just have varying degrees of perfection. Even characteristics like vulnerability in getting bullied or made fun of is turned into a thing to show how perfect they are compared to the emotionally insecure or egotistical rivals they face.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
There is a scene where Rey meets Han Solo. She mentions that she thought Skywalker was just a myth. Han Solo says that everything she heard is real. It's not that far fetched to assume rey knew much of what had happened before but had always assumed they were fairy tales. After realizing that the events she had learned about were real, she may have realized what she could be capable of doing. Granted, this is a lot of "off screen" assumption but since it's star wars it isn't that far fetched. When i saw the scene where she mindtricks the storm trooper into releasing her straps, i immediately thought she had just heard of the mind trick in the stories, possibly even obi wan's quote about how The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded

anyway that's way too many words about star wars

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
which is the episode where mike goes on the fantastic slow haunted house ride

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Clawtopsy posted:

episode 40: sinister and paranormal activity 4 at 31 minutes.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Clawtopsy posted:

Oct 7, 2016 13:28

dreezy posted:

episode 40: sinister and paranormal activity 4 at 31 minutes.
Oct 7, 2016 13:35

This will never cease to amaze me.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Boy, I sure am sick of all these Star Wars (chat).

Not really, I just wanted to make a joke.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Oct 7, 2016 13:28

Oct 7, 2016 13:35

This will never cease to amaze me.

this thread is my life.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

dreezy posted:

this thread is my life.

dreezy, in how many episodes do they talk about zaat, in which episodes, at what times

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
The force and jedis are the worst and dullest part of every thing star wars movie every made, search your feelings, you know it's true.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Randarkman posted:

This is probably just me getting old but in particular I find that the bits with "funny" and/or "exciting" stormtrooper kills and such (Han using Chewie's crossbow, the traitor guy easily being killed by Han, phasma in the garbage and all that) to be kind of off-putting, especially in an adventure movie like this that isn't like gory or shockingly violent. I can't quite put my finger on why that bothers me as opposed to how over the top death and gore scenes can be funny in something like a lovely horror movie. In the original trilogy the stormtroopers were essentially henchmen to be killed, but the movies didn't treat them as essentially a joke (even though their marksmanship became one outside of the movies). Anyway I dunno really, but it feels really off to me, and I think the same thing kind of bothered me in the Hobbit movies as well.

its straight up inconsistency with the tone. with the hobbit movies its evident that they had too many ideas and not enough time to streamline them into a crafted narrative (maybe with some studio interference) so they just dumped a bunch of poo poo on the table and hoped 'scary man with ring' and 'funny fat neck goblin' go together to form 'fun adventure' (instead you probably fell asleep)

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
hack writers: hmm, we need to come up with a sci fi sounding name. what are some sciency words? photon? plasma? i've got it! "Phasma"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LordArgh posted:

hack writers: hmm, we need to come up with a sci fi sounding name. what are some sciency words? photon? plasma? i've got it! "Phasma"

It's a reference to Phantasm

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
"I feel as though people can really relate to the Captain Phasma character"

A 7 foot tall blonde woman in a bob cut. I know so many people who look just like that.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Actually it's a reference to Armored Core: Project Phantasma in that Phasma is a featureless grey robot with no emotions.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

A 7 foot tall blonde woman in a bob cut. I know so many people who look just like that.

but she never takes her helmet off :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

"I feel as though people can really relate to the Captain Phasma character"

I always feel bad for actors when they have to bullshit and fluff their way through interviews like that. It's not like she could have come out and said "she doesn't do anything in the movie! Leave me alone!!!"

• Locked thread