Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

d0s posted:

I don't think they meant to make it the exact dimensions of an arcade marquee, rather to make it the same shape as one and scale it down a bit so it's all on one page, which I would really prefer too. Making a book in the shape of a bezel would be pretty hilarious though
You could hide things in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

You could hide things in it!

Not if the covers are square-donut-shaped as well, which they should be.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's crazy how much better Sega was and is at everything than everyone else.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's crazy how much better Sega was and is at everything than everyone else.

I think VIZ should take credit for those ads. SEGA just okayed them.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow Hog posted:

It was at his GDC presentation this year, where he compared availability of original versions of video games (as opposed to ports and remasters) to availability of original versions of films; starts about here.

That was great! Thank you!

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Do I win a See-ga Megadrive now?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sega VR. Welcome to the next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd98RGxad0U

Just a game? No way.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
VR: Still only 25 years away

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It really is amazing how the aesthetic behind VR hasn't changed at all. That helmet looks better than Vive which is like an arm guard for a Gears of War character.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Did the new firmware for the SD2SNES enable any games that didn't work previously?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

falz posted:

VR: Still only 25 years away

Just like self-driving cars and automated houses

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

TeaJay posted:

Did the new firmware for the SD2SNES enable any games that didn't work previously?

Doesn't look like it, outside of:

quote:

BS-X: new bsx page file by LuigiBlood!

* contains a proper channel map, notably fixes Fuurai no Shiren: Surara o sukue and most likely more games
* revives the town

It was mostly dealing with in game hooks for the OS it runs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Sega VR. Welcome to the next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd98RGxad0U

Just a game? No way.

quote:

The Sega CD moved quickly to become a dominant force in video gaming.

I don't know how someone could write that with a straight face even in 1993.

Edit: The fact that the hot new hardware releases that were the big events of the year were the Amiga CD, the Jaguar, and the LaserActive just makes it funnier.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 7, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: The fact that the hot new hardware releases that were the big events of the year were the Amiga CD, the Jaguar, and the LaserActive just makes it funnier.

To be fair, anything that would possibly blow away the Nintendo and Sega hegemony in the console gaming space was eagerly hailed. It's not that people hated or were tired of those companies, but at the end of the day, the 16-bit consoles were more evolutionary than revolutionary (especially the Genesis). The games paradigm, by and large, was still sprite-driven 2D games, just with more colors and better sound. So the prospect of something coming out and doing even that better was something to contemplate, and there was always the exhilarating possibility that some dark horse would come out of left field and and cause a major black swan event in the industry. Or something like that.

Of course, we can't rule out that game reporting (as opposed to game reviewing) has probably always suffered from talking up stuff on the horizon; it's better to be positive and ultimately wrong than to be negative (even if you might ultimately be right in the end).

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
My brother just picked up a Nintendo 64 but it didn't come with a video cable. Are the aftermarket ones any good or should I look for an official multi-out? We just need composite for now.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Random Stranger posted:

The Sega CD seems a dead end today, but it nonetheless moved two million units and lasted almost three years. It really wasn't a failure; if it had been, Sega wouldn't have redesigned it and attempted another peripheral with the 32X.

And the Sega CD arguably WAS a major force in 1993, though not necessarily to a good end. It brought the FMV trend to consoles in a way that people couldn't ignore as easily as the TurboGrafx CD.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The CD's coming to the console were a really big and cool thing, and people actually liked the loving FMV games back in the early 90's. The intended goal for the CD systems was more Soul Star, Sonic CD, or Rondo of Blood. People just decided that a FMV game was quicker money and easier to make.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mush Man posted:

My brother just picked up a Nintendo 64 but it didn't come with a video cable. Are the aftermarket ones any good or should I look for an official multi-out? We just need composite for now.

If it's just composite anything should work.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Elliotw2 posted:

The CD's coming to the console were a really big and cool thing, and people actually liked the loving FMV games back in the early 90's. The intended goal for the CD systems was more Soul Star, Sonic CD, or Rondo of Blood. People just decided that a FMV game was quicker money and easier to make.

fmv games are godlike though. night trap is one of my favorite games of that era along with wirehead.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

The Sega CD seems a dead end today, but it nonetheless moved two million units and lasted almost three years. It really wasn't a failure; if it had been, Sega wouldn't have redesigned it and attempted another peripheral with the 32X.

Two million units is terrible for a hardware platform in 1993 and the redesign had more to do with the absolute chaos in Sega management at the time than any playing off of success.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

And the Sega CD arguably WAS a major force in 1993, though not necessarily to a good end. It brought the FMV trend to consoles in a way that people couldn't ignore as easily as the TurboGrafx CD.

TG16 CD wasn't really about FMV or ~multimedia~ though, it just added more storage and CD quality music, the vast majority of the games were still sprite based, maybe with some heavily compressed anime cutscenes in 8 colors

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kid Fenris posted:

It really wasn't a failure; if it had been, Sega wouldn't have redesigned it and attempted another peripheral with the 32X.

Doubling down on failure was Sega's greatest defining characteristic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The intended goal for CD systems was to bridge the gap between multi-media video games and consoles which were limited by storage. It was already a niche but popular genre in arcades throughout the 80s so when the opportunity to port it to consoles became available it's a no-brainer business decision. Digital Pictures produced the bulk of Sega Cd's multimedia games and they got started by buying up Hasbro's failed VHS game console, Night Trap and Sewer Shark were filmed in the late 80s and shelved. And Data East's Time Gal, Road Avenger, Cobra Command, and Taito's Ninja Hayate are all from 1985.

So Sonic CD and Rondo of Blood are the evolutions.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mush Man posted:

If there is S-Video on the display your brother and you are using, this cable is generally recommended for it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131782319627?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Otherwise, any general SNES composite cable should work OK, though official ones aren't too expensive (last I checked, anyway).

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

That can't be right, I was told Sega did what Nintendon't.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

The Titanic, much like Sega hardware was loving amazing, ahead of its time and sunk like a rock

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Kthulhu5000 posted:

If there is S-Video on the display your brother and you are using, this cable is generally recommended for it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131782319627?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Otherwise, any general SNES composite cable should work OK, though official ones aren't too expensive (last I checked, anyway).

We haven't even decided where to set it up, haha. I know about video quality but it's not a priority at the moment.

Is there somewhere online where I can buy the official cables though? Wasn't able to find them on my own.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mush Man posted:

We haven't even decided where to set it up, haha. I know about video quality but it's not a priority at the moment.

Is there somewhere online where I can buy the official cables though? Wasn't able to find them on my own.

Ebay is your best bet though, um, your profile suggests you're Down Under? There's this Australian Ebay seller that says they're located on your continent, selling used but original cables:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232006206553

Otherwise, pretty much anything you can find from a local retailer, OEM or not, should work well enough.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Ebay is your best bet though, um, your profile suggests you're Down Under? There's this Australian Ebay seller that says they're located on your continent, selling used but original cables:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232006206553

Otherwise, pretty much anything you can find from a local retailer, OEM or not, should work well enough.

Thanks a lot. Yeah, was about to edit in that I'm in PAL/AUS.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

PAL N64s don't do S-video for... some reason, so unless you get the thing modded you're gonna be stuck with composite anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doc Morbid posted:

PAL N64s don't do S-video for... some reason

Because it was cheaper that way :pseudo:.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Random Stranger posted:

Two million units is terrible for a hardware platform in 1993 and the redesign had more to do with the absolute chaos in Sega management at the time than any playing off of success.

Two million units (I've seen six million elsewhere) and two hundred titles is actually pretty good for a peripheral system, considering how those often go over.

d0s posted:

TG16 CD wasn't really about FMV or ~multimedia~ though, it just added more storage and CD quality music, the vast majority of the games were still sprite based, maybe with some heavily compressed anime cutscenes in 8 colors

FMV games figured prominently into the initial TurboGrafx CD push in North America, though. Look at the ads circa 1991 and you'll see It Came From the Desert and Sherlock Holmes promoted more than Valis II or Ys.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 7, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh hey, many years later, Saturn Policenauts got a translation patch.

Readme with notes/changes: http://policenauts.net/english/files/Policenauts_Readme_English_Sega_Saturn_V1.0.txt

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
This past weekend I saw someone selling a Sega Genesis on Craigslist for $30 and I couldn't pass up on it. I used to have a Model 1, but I sold it to my older brother to pay the bills back when I was going to university. Unfortunately, that one doesn't work any more, but my brother is letting me borrow all the games I sold him and in fact is trying to sell them back to me.

The Genesis I bought came with the console itself, one controller, and five games - Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Decap Attack, James Pond, and that horrible US Gold Winter Olympics '94 game. The rest of the collection was brought over by my brother:

Unfortunately, I don't have end tables, so I have things set up on a chair I wasn't using. I'm storing the cartridges in old Gunpla boxes so if I'm to spend more money I think my first priority should be getting some kind of better encasement rather than picking up rarer things the collection is missing. I don't really care for boxes, but some of the carts are in bad enough condition and I want them to be playable. I know this is missing a lot of really great Genesis games like M.U.S.H.A, the first two Shining games, etc. but I'm very happy with the collection so far. Here are all of the games (except for NBA Jam which is in its box):

There are two copies of Sonic 2. The one without the sharpie in the top left is the copy we already had. The one with the sharpie is the one that came with the Genesis. It is a Blessed Cart and it has always worked the first time I put it in the console. I haven't tested a few games, but I've been able to get all of the ones I have tested to work so far, with some persistence.

Oh, my brother also brought two more controllers and a Game Gear copy of Sonic 2. Only one of the three controllers works rather well so I need to pick up more of these, too.

What does a good price sound like for the rest of the games, if I'm to buy them off my brother?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Finally got my hands on a High Definition Graphics Genesis model 1 (VA6), and now I'm being bugged by how it overhangs my model 2 Sega CD. I check ebay and all the auctions for the extender and plate are more than I paid for the console. :suicide:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Zonekeeper posted:

Finally got my hands on a High Definition Graphics Genesis model 1 (VA6), and now I'm being bugged by how it overhangs my model 2 Sega CD. I check ebay and all the auctions for the extender and plate are more than I paid for the console. :suicide:

In the same boat. I'm toying with the idea of buying one with the extender plate and just selling off the console. :v:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I mean, the extender is just a piece of plastic you set under the Genesis, go get a black box.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There isn't a 3D print shape ways thing you can get??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh hey, many years later, Saturn Policenauts got a translation patch.

Readme with notes/changes: http://policenauts.net/english/files/Policenauts_Readme_English_Sega_Saturn_V1.0.txt

If anyone actually does the patching, could you do a "for-dummies" type of guide? I'm reading the official guide, but I can't get the patch running. I get an error like this:

"file open failed: read: POLICENAUTS_1-1.iso: The system cannot find the file specified."

Even though I have named the file exactly like that.

e: Disregard, I'm an idiot who names his files file.iso.ISO

This is pure Kojima though, haven't got past the opening movie yet.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 7, 2016

• Locked thread