Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bike tory posted:

Sorcs need one spell at each level as follows (in order from 1-9): 1- magic missile, 2- mirror image, 3- skull trap, 4- stoneskin, 5- breach, level 6 who gives a gently caress so maybe imp haste or that broken invisibility spell, 7- mordenkainen's sword, 8- ADHW, 9- timestop, 10- summon planetar

Anything else is nice but unecessary

Sleep is better than MM just because of how god tier it is in bg1. I also like slow better than skull trap because its party friendly and it turns encounters where enemies aren't immune to it into a joke.

Sorcs are cool and all though but what you really want to do is play a Wild Mage. A high level Wild Mage with Chaos Shield up = you can use a level one spell (Nahals Reckless Dweomer) to cast loving Dragon Breaths and Planetars and poo poo. Even a Sorc can't compete with that. It's like you have 15 level 9 casts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Thanks for the tips all! Being an inquisitor sounds good, wrecking mages sounds fun.

Is Neera a good wild mage? They sound fun reading the above.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Wild Mages are most fun when played Ironman, in that they're powerful but have a non-zero chance (especially at low levels) to just murder you and everyone you love accidentally

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wild Mages are most fun when played Ironman, in that they're powerful but have a non-zero chance (especially at low levels) to just murder you and everyone you love accidentally

Ah yes, the good ol' "accidental Pit Fiend" at level 1.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

queeb posted:

Thanks for the tips all! Being an inquisitor sounds good, wrecking mages sounds fun.

Yeah Neera is good. The only problem with Wild Mages is as MrL_JaKiri said it's easy to get bad surges at low levels which can devastate your party. They're still good, but in bg1 at least I'd steer mostly clear of Nahal's Reckless Dweomer and don't really start trying to use that until mid levels in bg2. The reason for that is every new level a Wild Mage gives them a better chance of getting positive rolls on their Wild Surges (and at higher levels you'll have more casts of Chaos Shield which will further improve your chances of a good surge).

And yeah they're very amusing in Ironman runs, though if you can survive well into bg2 they probably have as good a chance as any class of actually succeeding because they're stupidly powerful at higher levels when you start being able to consistently use Nahals to positive effect.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Hmm, might attempt a Wild Mage Ironman this year. Last years Berserker/Cleric was a little too easy, be nice to have more of a challenge.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

bike tory posted:

Sorcs need one spell at each level as follows (in order from 1-9): 1- magic missille
You spelled "chromatic orb" all hosed up

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ginette Reno posted:

That's my standard solution to the chess board fight in Durlag's Tower.

Probably not possible in the engine, but that fight would have been much better if it had played out turn-based like an actual game of chess. Done well, that could have been a laugh.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

queeb posted:

Neera has passable but not amazing stats. She gets no bonus HP due to average Constitution, so in BG1 she's prone to dying to stray arrows, which isn't always easily avoidable if you get ambushed by Bandits or something like that. In BG2 it rarely matters.

e: I should say that that's mainly an issue in the first half of BG1. At some point she should have Stoneskin up permanently, giving her a buffer until attacks start to hurt her. And once she has a 15+ HP she's usually going to have enough time to get Mirror Images up even if you get ambushed. She needs those defensive spells, though.

Her Dexterity and Intelligence, which are the other two main stats for Mages, are good.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 7, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I use mages mostly as wandbots at low levels so wild surges aren't terribly likely. Wild mages can however surge while scroll casting, which was a deadly, explodey bovine surprise to me. And I thought I was being so clever...

Apropos of nothing I have a new gimmick for this year's ironman, and a backup one if (when) the first one dies. They're not as good as Joe Average though.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

jBrereton posted:

You spelled "chromatic orb" all hosed up

I take this over magic missile as well

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Well in practice you don't have to choose one over the other but magic missiles is better all round. A 5% chance for an insta kill is not worth wasting a round on at high levels imo, while mm actually scales really well and continues to be a decent sight target damage spell. Also great for interrupting casters

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, but you should really let him off the hook to spend time with his family instead of loving off to deal with Charname's problems for half a year.

gently caress that noise, motherfucker should've been chaotic good then, lawful good means you gotta do your damm job, and anyway wizard-murder is more important than raising some dumb kid is going to die of, I don't know, orcish tuberculosis in a year or two anyway.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

bike tory posted:

Well in practice you don't have to choose one over the other but magic missiles is better all round. A 5% chance for an insta kill is not worth wasting a round on at high levels imo, while mm actually scales really well and continues to be a decent sight target damage spell. Also great for interrupting casters

I agree. I always build for the late game and, while Sleep is amazing early on, it loses its lustre fairly quickly and you can't swap out sorcerer spells for better ones later like in 3.5th edition. Magic Missile is quick, unerring damage that is solid and dependable and only gets better with age (by which I mean levels). Sleep is a better pick for the early game and I can understand taking it because low-level 2nd edition combat is rubbish, but if I'm just ranking level 1 spells over the entirety of the BG games then M&M takes the crown at 1st level. Sorcerers eventually get four or five 1st-level spell choices, though, so you can have everything worth having at higher levels.

As for wands, I always used the Wands of Frost the most. Good damage, never miss and party-friendly. Wand of Fire scorcher is good, but doesn't do quite the damage and can burn your allies. Wands of Paralysation are also pimp.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Wand of fire scorcher is crazy good because it hits twice, effectively making it deal 12D6 + 12 damage on multiple enemies. Wand of frost is good but it destroys loot if it gets the killing blow, so I only use it against critters that don't drop anything.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

bike tory posted:

Yeah, you can definitely get both. I never do, though, because my first spells invariably are Sleep, Shield, Magic Missile and Spook. And getting Chromatic Orb when you've got MM and Spook already is pointless. Unless you really, really want to insta-kill a debuffed boss with a level 1 spell at some point, of course.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, you can definitely get both. I never do, though, because my first spells invariably are Sleep, Shield, Magic Missile and Spook. And getting Chromatic Orb when you've got MM and Spook already is pointless. Unless you really, really want to insta-kill a debuffed boss with a level 1 spell at some point, of course.

Yeah, chromatic orb is fun when you can through Greater Malison and Doom into a sequencer with it , so I'll do it as a lark with Aerie occasionally, but it seems like too much work most of the time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The only trap choice for level 1 spells is Find Familiar

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

I tried to launch a flurry of them at Yaga-Shura plus finger of death, but like every boss in Throne of Bhaal he has "gently caress you" levels of immunities and magic resistance.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, Yaga-Shura is straight up immune to death effects.

If you want save-or-die effects, I still think Feeblemind is the way to go.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Would just jacking their levels and associated derived stats and class abilities up crazy high and backing off some of the immunities/magic resistance have helped make the ToB bosses more interesting? Sarevok was a terrifying boss in BG1 because, at level 16, he was just straight up vastly more powerful than you, perhaps more powerful than your whole party, and didn't need gently caress-you immunities to kick your rear end. Fighting a level 30 boss with a level 27 party just isn't the same.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No, because at those kinds of levels all you get is a little HP.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I think in ToB the party just has so much bullshit at their disposal that immunities are more or less required. Sarevok has the advantage of appearing during the mid levels, when the game is at its best. At that point most classes have hit their stride but the game is still relatively sane.

Some bosses, Illasera and Yaga-Shura especially, are kind of wet farts in the vanilla version, though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I played a Blade my last time through BG1:EE and it didn't occur to me for quite a while that Bards can have familiars too, so long as the bard is the main character. I think that I just tacitly assumed that only "real" mages could do that, but my Blade was CN so I ended up with a sweet little pussy cat (and a HP bonus) in a rare case of art imitating life.*

*I have a cat in real life, I mean... I assume that my HP are quite low.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

I think in ToB the party just has so much bullshit at their disposal that immunities are more or less required. Sarevok has the advantage of appearing during the mid levels, when the game is at its best. At that point most classes have hit their stride but the game is still relatively sane.

Some bosses, Illasera and Yaga-Shura especially, are kind of wet farts in the vanilla version, though.

Agreed. Sarevok and later Irenicus worked as bosses because they were still operating at the levels where mostly D&D works. Jon still had some immunities, but not so many that magic was useless and there were multiple ways to fight him- fire off protection removers and go for the jugular, poke him with summons until he exhausts his spells and contingencies (My way), etc. Throne of Bhaal's bosses are just "Nothing works, hit them with weapons or summons until done and accept their gimmicks, fight them the way WE want you to." because otherwise it's Improved Alacrity x Robe of Vecna = I'm Star Platinum in a wizard hat, gently caress you you're dead.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I do not like TOB and almost never pay through it. It's just a slog of samey fights at that point.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

This still cracks me up, his normal-rear end name seems so out of place.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bongwizzard posted:

It's short for Joneleth. The elves use his full name.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It was Jonaleth, downgraded to Jon when he was exiled. I like to imagine charname is just calling him Jonaleth non-stop during the final fight until he's a frothing mess.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Jon stop fuckin up the tree you rear end in a top hat

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
All plotting and no soul makes Jonny a dull elf.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Wasn't Irenicus referred to in BG1 as Jon Icarus by the spider queen you fight in the Cloakwood Forest?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 9, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Wasn't Irenicus referred to in BG1 as Jon Icarus by the spider queen you fight in the Cloakwood Forest?

In the original version. It was retconned into Irenicus in a later patch I believe. It doesn't make a lot of sense, though- she says she was his lover, but they portray him as completely obsessed with Ellesime.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
No, she says she was obsessed with Jon and did something to his lover, and as punishment he turned her into a spider queen thing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Use a scroll

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ginette Reno posted:

Use a scroll

He's saying that's the only super bad pick for a sorcerer, every other spell you can find a reason to cast more than once.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I'm pretty sure infravision also falls into the "completely useless" category. It's awesome in pen and paper, though.

Oh yeah, and shocking grasp.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Lol, I never really thought about it before and now this is all I can think about :

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Lol, I never really thought about it before and now this is all I can think about :

Silence [cat], you have no purpose but to die by my hand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wow Irenicus was way more beefcake than I remember, don't know where he found the time to lift with everything he was up to.