Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Ryoshi posted:

I realize it's entirely subjective but I feel like I have to ask anyway, is it like S;G where even though most of the characters are awful the story ends up being strong enough to stand on its own (and in fact make some of the characters redeem themselves), or is it something I should put down if I'm finding it entirely grating and hope the snaggletoothed little monster girl gets thrown off a cliff.

Man I am worried that I agree with 100% of the things that the guy with the MASSIVE DOUCHEBAG title has said so far

Although the S;G cast definitely grows on you I would say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Ryoshi posted:

I realize it's entirely subjective but I feel like I have to ask anyway, is it like S;G where even though most of the characters are awful the story ends up being strong enough to stand on its own (and in fact make some of the characters redeem themselves), or is it something I should put down if I'm finding it entirely grating and hope the snaggletoothed little monster girl gets thrown off a cliff.

Most of them are gonna die. I don't recall if anyone is thrown off a cliff, so why not find out?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the s;g cast is epic from the start, i must interject

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean the story is pretty strong on its own; you have an incredibly complex mystery on hand that you're actively encouraged to try to solve before the end, with innumerable perspectives and angles to consider and hints/foreshadowing galore that will be real forehead slappers by the end when you finally get the answers. It has a ton of twists and turns and is really engrossing. So you could in theory stay for the story/mystery and not get too involved or attached to the cast, though that will probably be hard in the Answer chapters given the characterization in them.

But I do consider Higurashi's cast to be quite excellent, and yeah I guess even maybe better than S;G's in some ways if I had to compare the two. It's just that none of their major revelations (really, you don't know jack poo poo about these people, even Keiichi, for a long while), character development, and bonding is built up very slowly. It's just not going to be readily apparent early on in the story, heck maybe not even until the Answer chapters in the second half.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ryoshi posted:

Seriously guys I really want to like Higurashi but when in the hell does anything actually happen? I've played the first chapter up to the picnic scene and not only is it twee boring nonsense but the main character and most of his friends are profoundly unlikeable. I keep hearing great things and I loved Steins;Gate despite a similarly slow-burn opening, but just nothing loving happens for hours and I am dying here.

That's really close to the beginning. And I'm shocked that you find the main character and most of the cast unlikeable, they're all pretty swell except maybe Satoko. It's just good friends having good times.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I think Higurashi really could have benefitted from a better localization. I'm also being generous and assuming the dialogue reads better in the original language, because it really seems bad to me. I still might power through it sometime, but the quality of the prose and dialogue is pretty low in the part that I've played.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think Higurashi really could have benefitted from a better localization. I'm also being generous and assuming the dialogue reads better in the original language, because it really seems bad to me. I still might power through it sometime, but the quality of the prose and dialogue is pretty low in the part that I've played.

Geez man, you should've seen the original English version they've taken years fixing!!!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I would probably be horrified!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

the s;g cast is epic from the start, i must interject
epic this ^^^

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

epic this ^^^

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean Kurisu and Suzuha are great from the beginning, Mayuri is harmless but at first I didn't like her because I thought her entire character was going to be "dumb girl" (like I didn't like having that as a character, not that I didn't like the character as a person), Daru is basically never not a creep even at the end, and Okarin isn't really all that sympathetic until he starts actually showing some real bravery/sacrifice which is more than halfway through the game

So I dunno, if you liked Okarin from the start or Daru at any point then that's cool but we are just gonna disagree forever I think

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think okabe was like a good cool person I'd love to hang with or anything but he was still entertaining and the dialogue in the early game made me laugh.

With Higurashi, I didn't like the dull slice of life stuff in it either. I don't think I hated it as much Ryoshi did, but... yeah, it's not great. I feel like everything else makes up for it, but if you're finding it intolerable and can't find anything likable about any of the characters, you should probably just stop. Because with Chapter 2 it starts right up again and you can expect a ton more of it. Same with Chapter 3. And 6, and 7... I think? And the characters have moments of growth but they're going to basically remain the same the whole way through.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 24, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Also if you are put off by the Carefree Club Activity part of higurashi ch 1, ch 2 does the same thing. You might wanna bail.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

With Higurashi, I didn't like the dull slice of life stuff in it either. I don't think I hated it as much Ryoshi did, but... yeah, it's not great. I feel like everything else makes up for it, but if you're finding it intolerable and can't find anything likable about any of the characters, you should probably just stop. Because with Chapter 2 it starts right up again and you can expect a ton more of it. Same with Chapter 3. And 6, and 7... I think? And the characters have moments of growth but they're going to basically remain the same the whole way through.
Definitely not the case with Chapter 7 (which is my favorite one overall), the opening to that one is NUTS and a total game changer. 5 and 6 I think have a little bit of the slow build up like some of the earlier chapters but they quickly dive into some pretty heavy stuff, especially since you're meant to contrast them with their complementary stories from the Question arcs so a number of elements immediately jump out.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
The problem is Ryukishi tries to write like this: here are your people, spend time with them so you care about them and then you will be like OH poo poo when poo poo goes down

Unfortunately the effect is basically lost if you already know bad things are gonna happen and hate slice-of-life, unless you make it through to the actual development parts and then re-read and cry about your precious suffering buds

That said, while I'd never recommend anyone watch the Umineko anime, the Higurashi is pretty serviceable and much less annoying of an introduction to the series. It's not the definitive work, but if you get through it and like it you might then want to look into bg stuff and the VN again

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

The problem is Ryukishi tries to write like this: here are your people, spend time with them so you care about them and then you will be like OH poo poo when poo poo goes down

That's largely how Japanese writers as a whole write. Ryukishi got much better at it over time for sure. Umineko is written pretty differently compared to Higurashi. It also had a slow start, but practically everything it does in its early stages is world building that is all relevant to the game's story. It all has a purpose, none of it feels wasted. With Higurashi, it's largely irrelevant slice of life stuff just for the sake of building a mood and trying to get the readers attached to the characters. It's very forced. Umineko built the proper mood and introduced the characters and the world much more organically.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's largely how Japanese writers as a whole write. Ryukishi got much better at it over time for sure. Umineko is written pretty differently compared to Higurashi. It also had a slow start, but practically everything it does in its early stages is world building that is all relevant to the game's story. It all has a purpose, none of it feels wasted. With Higurashi, it's largely irrelevant slice of life stuff just for the sake of building a mood and trying to get the readers attached to the characters. It's very forced. Umineko built the proper mood and introduced the characters and the world much more organically.

I mean, I don't disagree that the content in Umineko was more relevant but the problem with both is the heavy front-loading

There's a part in ep 1 Umineko that's probably a half hour of content that gets condensed to 18 seconds in the anime

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the difference is that in Umineko the front-loaded content more often than not are flashbacks that explore or expand upon new aspects of the characters and their stories in the lead up to the island events, whereas Higurashi's front-loaded content is often just silly shenanigans that don't necessarily accomplish that. Said shenanigans can and will take on a bit more meaning in hindsight as you learn more about the characters (for example, why Mion even wants to have the club in the first place and why with those specific people/friends) but they don't really add to the narrative in the same way Umineko's does.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A thread

About a VN

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792706

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

wow it's the 30th anniversary for the rokkenjima mass murder incident

umineko is good, so go (re) play it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RIP Ushiromiya family.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I've been reading through Higurashi, and after the novels move past their poo poo starts they're pretty riveting. Unlike Umineko, I can't even start to make guesses as to what's going on here; chapter 2 explained some things (like the very high possibility of a Hitman-style murder-impersonation scenario) but I'm completely lost about chapter 1 and especially chapter 3, which seemed to suggest that Keiichi isn't even close to a reliable narrator and threw everything off the rails.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to chapter 4 on the 7th, hopefully it doesn't have the traditional zany rear end start.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Chapter 4 is completely different from the rest and I think much shorter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah it's maybe half as long as the other question arcs. I can't really remember too much of its beginning but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any sort of zany start.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Wait, when does Higurashi take place? The newspaper clipping TIPS about the murder at the dam says it was from June 1979, but I don't recall seeing the current year anywhere.

I hope it's just something I missed and not a spoiler somehow.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

1984 I believe.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I just read part 3 -- it's June 1983.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cool, thanks. And I'm glad I stuck with it a bit, nothing has really happened yet other than foreshadowing and stuff but the slice of life stuff past the picnic is much more tolerable. The Old Bachelor scene was downright fun.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Silver Case remake came out on steam, i think it probably counts as a VN http://store.steampowered.com/app/476650/

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Welp god drat, spoiled what I assume is a major part of Higurashi from a random image in a random thread in GBS. Wonderful. :(

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Welp god drat, spoiled what I assume is a major part of Higurashi from a random image in a random thread in GBS. Wonderful. :(

Higurashi and Umineko are surprisingly resistant to spoilers, I'd say? It's not that there aren't things to spoil, it's that there's so much going on in the stories that any specific spoiler never seems to be that much an issue. Back when I read Higurashi it was almost impossible to read it blind due to the popularity of the anime; I went into it already knowing (trying to word these as vaguely as possible) about Hanyuu and who the mastermind is, arguably two of the biggest spoilers for the game, and I still enjoyed it immensely.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm not looking at those spoilers (I'VE BEEN BURNED BEFORE :() and not quoting the post so I don't see them but the image in question is this (linked for obvious reasons, not because it's NWS or anything): http://i.imgur.com/knmmL2b.jpg

I mean...it's hilarious, but......yeah.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

I'm not looking at those spoilers (I'VE BEEN BURNED BEFORE :() and not quoting the post so I don't see them but the image in question is this (linked for obvious reasons, not because it's NWS or anything): http://i.imgur.com/knmmL2b.jpg

I mean...it's hilarious, but......yeah.

If that's a spoiler for Higurashi I don't understand it. Possibly I just don't get enough of the other references? Aside from Rika I only recognise Yuki and presumably Okabe, which isn't enough to deduce any kind of pattern.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

If that's a spoiler for Higurashi I don't understand it. Possibly I just don't get enough of the other references? Aside from Rika I only recognise Yuki and presumably Okabe, which isn't enough to deduce any kind of pattern.
timeloops

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The one that's not an anime is Bill Murray from Groundhog Day.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah having one element of the Higurashi mystery doesn't do much to undermine the explanation in the final chapter IMO. You'd have to read like an essay on how everything fits together to do that

e: I watched the entire anime first and there were still large elements of the mystery I definitely did not understand until I read the VN.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 7, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Okay, I guess I can just about see that? That artist really cannot draw Bill Murray.

Yeah, I'd say that's not really as major a spoiler as you might think. Context is everything, after all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Who is the dude on the far-right in the glasses supposed to be? Only character I didn't recognize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Who is the dude on the far-right in the glasses supposed to be? Only character I didn't recognize.

In retrospect I'd guess it's Tohno Shiki - which is also not really a spoiler for the VN he's from.