Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, I miss Maribel and her commentary for everything. Hope she comes back soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Allarion posted:

Just 3 DLC tablets. They'll probably rotate back in at some point supposedly.
At what point does this unlock? I've just finished the 2nd island pretty much (including going there in the present).

I like that parents in this game are actually sensible and not wanting their children to put themselves in mortal danger. :v: Although they do acquiesce after a bit of arm twisting.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

irlZaphod posted:

At what point does this unlock? I've just finished the 2nd island pretty much (including going there in the present).

I like that parents in this game are actually sensible and not wanting their children to put themselves in mortal danger. :v: Although they do acquiesce after a bit of arm twisting.

When you unlock the Haven (which is the 3rd or 4th island), you can immediately recruit 3 villagers. After recruiting those 3, Haven will upgrade and have a download bar. Sharing and streetpassing will also be available, but it'll be a long while before you'll be able to create your own tablets to share. You could share the initial tablets you get from the villagers, but there's little benefit other than the unlikely chance of someone sharing their own tablet to you. Most people are still sharing those initial tablets still though unfortunately.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I started a new game for a second playthrough and I'm one of those assholes who shared Kingfisher Colloquy. :ninja:

But I got traded back someone's custom tablet with just three slimes so I guess I deserved that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm only 9 hours in, although I only started playing it on Sunday or Monday because I wanted to finish Spirit of Justice first. Hopefully this weekend I might be able to make some progress. :v:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Someone just shared a gem slime tablet with me, so my money troubles are over as soon as my characters are strong enough to kill one. But the weird thing is that the villager that arrived is an actual gem slime, and not using a disguise like you're supposed to use when trading villagers. Does anyone know how he did that?

Edit: I just took a look at the tablet and it's a level 0 gem slime leader with level 255 followers so, uh, :stare:

Edit 2: Wait, that's another tablet. So either something's really missing or I traded with two people who hacked their save files at the same time.

The level 0 tablet is just a single floor, and when I try to move onto the next I'm just warped back to the haven plinth.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 7, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I like how they gutted the intro, changed a random puzzle in Pomposo's Tower, and allowed you to reach the portal in flooded Wetlock, but didn't change anything about Alltrades

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm happy they kept Alltrades/Dharma temple in.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Are there any changes in the battle mechanics in the 3ds DQ7 or am I free to spam Vacuum/Thin Air the moment I get it?

The worst sting about jobs coming so late in DQ7 is how garbage the basic jobs are. Outside of Martial Artist, Warrior, and Mage, every other class actually makes you weaker until you pick up some rank 5-8 skills. 15-20 hours in the game is not the beginning anymore. All it makes you do is hard grind up a bunch of bitch jobs until you have some real classes like Sage, Dragoon, or Pirate before moving on the game after the events in Alltrades. The midgame isn't that difficult, but it sucks playing the game handicapping yourselves with terrible classes.

Monster classes are a cool idea, but the grind is longer and bottom bitch monster jobs are even worse. However, once you got some tier 2/3 monster classes you never want to become human again.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lord Ephraim posted:

Are there any changes in the battle mechanics in the 3ds DQ7 or am I free to spam Vacuum/Thin Air the moment I get it?

The worst sting about jobs coming so late in DQ7 is how garbage the basic jobs are. Outside of Martial Artist, Warrior, and Mage, every other class actually makes you weaker until you pick up some rank 5-8 skills. 15-20 hours in the game is not the beginning anymore. All it makes you do is hard grind up a bunch of bitch jobs until you have some real classes like Sage, Dragoon, or Pirate before moving on the game after the events in Alltrades. The midgame isn't that difficult, but it sucks playing the game handicapping yourselves with terrible classes.

Monster classes are a cool idea, but the grind is longer and bottom bitch monster jobs are even worse. However, once you got some tier 2/3 monster classes you never want to become human again.

Battle mechanics have stayed the same. Enemy stats (aside from HP, gold, and exp) also haven't changed much.

Apparently the classes got rebalanced though. Intermediate classes don't get to keep any skills they've learned.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lord Ephraim posted:

The basic jobs level up way faster so you'll be drowning in skills soon enough. Also, they tweaked it so basic job skills/spells are permanent while higher tier job skills aren't. And all monster skills are permanent (so stuff like drake slime and healslime are good ideas). YMMV as to whether this is good or not. Thin Air is still OP and is easier to get

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Is there something I'm missing about this Time Being guy in the painting or what, the two little dudes always reset the fight and if I try to sleep them or something it never sticks long enough

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Red Red Blue posted:

Is there something I'm missing about this Time Being guy in the painting or what, the two little dudes always reset the fight and if I try to sleep them or something it never sticks long enough

I, uh... I just killed his little minions pretty easily from what I remember.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Red Red Blue posted:

I had Thin Air for this part.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

How Ingratiating! posted:

I had Thin Air for this part.

I had boomerangs. My plan was basically Counting Sheep and boomerangs. Every time they woke up they went right back to sleep.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Alxprit posted:

I, uh... I just killed his little minions pretty easily from what I remember.

i forgot they could reset time, i just ko'd them asap on principle

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there a way to figure out what mini medals you missed without retracing the entire game systematically checking every single pot, closet, and barrel? :suicide:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

YggiDee posted:

Is there a way to figure out what mini medals you missed without retracing the entire game systematically checking every single pot, closet, and barrel? :suicide:

There's some that are invisible on the ground :shepicide:

Afaik the only thing way is to check a list. Here's one if you need it: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/688276-dragon-quest-vii-fragments-of-the-forgotten-past/74326503

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hiding that mini medal in the graveyard in Precipice Pass is such a dick move if you happened to miss it on your first runthrough. I assume Snoop exists just to find those particular mini-medals, but there's only 2 of them so far I've gotten to so far on my playthrough.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

IDK if it's been mentioned but the Terry's Wonderland 3D translation is out, thus proving there is a God.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm glad Sir Mervyn still joins with zero job experience after the rest of your party has probably mastered at least a couple

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
If you rename Mervyn does it keep the Sir?

It's the legendary hero of the past! Sir Real!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nope because I changed his name to Healie and it's just Healie

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Looper posted:

I'm glad Sir Mervyn still joins with zero job experience after the rest of your party has probably mastered at least a couple

Good to know my time was well-spent :negative:

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Ceramics posted:

IDK if it's been mentioned but the Terry's Wonderland 3D translation is out, thus proving there is a God.

WHAT.

Please provide any details you can. I did the browserhax mod on my original 3DS and imported Terry's Wonderland last year thinking I'd be able to play it using a translation guide, but I just couldn't make it work. Do I just put a patch on my SD card to make it work?

I just came into this thread to lament how I am only 15 hours into DQ7 and won't beat it before Builders arrives next week, and you hit me with THIS?!

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

gwarm01 posted:

WHAT.

Please provide any details you can. I did the browserhax mod on my original 3DS and imported Terry's Wonderland last year thinking I'd be able to play it using a translation guide, but I just couldn't make it work. Do I just put a patch on my SD card to make it work?

I just came into this thread to lament how I am only 15 hours into DQ7 and won't beat it before Builders arrives next week, and you hit me with THIS?!

Not as easy as that I'm afraid, you'll need CFW. The nice folks in the this thread can help you: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759546

But if you've updated to 11/11.1 to you might be out of luck.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Ceramics posted:

Not as easy as that I'm afraid, you'll need CFW. The nice folks in the this thread can help you: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759546

But if you've updated to 11/11.1 to you might be out of luck.

Oh, so is it different than the hacks that let you run region free? I haven't updated the thing since the New 3DS came out so hopefully I'm good to go. I've been playing DQ since Nintendo Power gave me a copy of Dragon Warrior, and after playing nearly every game and spin-off the Monster series has remained my favorite. I'm going to cross my fingers on this one.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ok but wheres the translation? im just finding old forums threads about different ones

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

baram. posted:

ok but wheres the translation? im just finding old forums threads about different ones

https://gbatemp.net/threads/translation-dragon-quest-monsters-terrys-wonderland-3d.431204/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How do I check my mini medal count in 7? I wasn't paying attention when I picked up my first one and I can't find the count in the menu. Doesn't really matter, I'd just like to make sure I have them all right now before I move forward past another missable one, you know?

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

It should be listed under attributes in the menu, I believe.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How do I check my mini medal count in 7? I wasn't paying attention when I picked up my first one and I can't find the count in the menu. Doesn't really matter, I'd just like to make sure I have them all right now before I move forward past another missable one, you know?

Attributes -> Everyone

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

How do you know which pieces of equipment you can use in battle can break? My prayer ring broke because I thought it was unlimited usage and I'm worried about the same thing happening to my Staff of Divine Wrath

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

How do you know which pieces of equipment you can use in battle can break? My prayer ring broke because I thought it was unlimited usage and I'm worried about the same thing happening to my Staff of Divine Wrath

Use Appraise on it in the menu.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I think it's just the rings that break. Your staves/swords/shields will stay intact.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dq games never really have reliable mp restoration options. just rare, expensive, or randomly breakable stuff.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dq games never really have reliable mp restoration options. just rare, expensive, or randomly breakable stuff.

Except this game because endlessly farming Single Phials is so easy. Save your Magic Water for boss fights.

I just feel like they won't ever put a full-MP restoratative item in a game that also includes Magic Burst.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Do I haved to strip Kiefer naked before they leave my party? Or does it all end up in the bag?

Same question for Maribel during their later sojourn out and back in.

e: awesome, thanks

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 9, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You'll get all of their stuff back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Since Maribel doesn't perma-leave she keeps all of her equipped stuff though, which isn't terribly important but still.