Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How can I get this job?

Apparently they're popular retirement prizes for navy seals and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I had a couple New Belgium Citradelic's last night that were good.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Drunk Nerds posted:

Almost all corporate beer distribution is such crap, and guarantees like 99% of beers will have old hops. I started breeding my own beer solely to ensure I actually get a beer with a bursting hop flavor every time, and not one a year like with storebought ipa

actually we spend a lot of money on quality control and rotation. certain suppliers like Boston Beer for instance keep our inventory at such a level that it is flipped ever 1-2 weeks. it would rare to find a case in the trade that doesn't have close to the max shelf life remaining.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

mintskoal posted:

I had a couple New Belgium Citradelic's last night that were good.

this was just launched in NYC (the entire NB portfolio) and it is flopping so hard. the hype machine was in full force and it has gone nowhere. in large part due to the absentee sales force

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
ipas = piss

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

yeah their esb is good poo poo

also just about anything from RBC and Ponysaurus has some good brew

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Senor Dog posted:

No one will ever complain about too many porters. Also friends, Pumking is good, great even
The problem with porters is that for some reason lots of breweries have to be "creative" with them - but a plain old brown porter made well with nothing but malt and not all crazy strong is beautiful. If I want coconut, cocoa beans, coffee, motherfucking ancho chiles or a hundred other goddamn things I'll consume them directly.

Also, gently caress every single pumpkin beer. Hey, let's make a shitass pumpkin beer, we can just dump some pie spice in our boring Irish Red, slap a really artistic orange and black label on it and put it out on shelves in August!

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Of all the Fall seasonals being dumped right now, Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest is the only one I keep going back to. It's a perfectly balanced festbier and you can put them back. Good poo poo.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
My girlfriend ordered a pumpkin bier by pfrem last night. She didn't really like it so I drank it. It seemed to be belgin based, more malty than most beers, and very light on the "pumpkin" flavors of cinnamon, anise, and coriander that you normally get in the candy Starbucks style pumpkin beers.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

get that OUT of my face posted:

currently drinking Dom de Dieu from Unibroue. everything they brew is excellent

la fin du monde is ridiculous, how the gently caress are these Canadians making the best beer

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

med school head posted:

yeah their esb is good poo poo

also just about anything from RBC and Ponysaurus has some good brew

ponysaurus is one of the few triangle breweries that lives up to the hype

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I used to spend all kinds of money on microbrews, but after spending years in Europe drinking a bunch of bland Pilsner and co. I just stick to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale when back in 'murica. I mean, buying non-piss beer with pocket change in Germany is cool and all, but drat you know your poo poo is bland when some standard green label Sierra Nevada is enough to blow your mind! lol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Christ I hate Double IPA's.

For anyone who hasn't tried one, it's like drinking paint thinner and gets your hosed up fast. Yum, 9% "beer".

I'd rather just chug wine like a suburban house wife.
some double IPAs are good, but at that ABV i'd much rather have a stout

nah
Mar 16, 2009

moflika posted:

I used to spend all kinds of money on microbrews, but after spending years in Europe drinking a bunch of bland Pilsner and co. I just stick to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale when back in 'murica. I mean, buying non-piss beer with pocket change in Germany is cool and all, but drat you know your poo poo is bland when some standard green label Sierra Nevada is enough to blow your mind! lol

Pale Ale is still one of the best beers in the country.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Drunk Nerds posted:

Almost all corporate beer distribution is such crap, and guarantees like 99% of beers will have old hops. I started breeding my own beer solely to ensure I actually get a beer with a bursting hop flavor every time, and not one a year like with storebought ipa

Lol all hops are "old hops". They only harvest them once a year. Any beer made this year is using hops harvested from the fall of last year, regardless of who is brewing it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

skip the liquid and eat a handful of hops

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.
alpine hoppy birthday, founders all day, and stone go-to ipa are good session ipas imo

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

Of all the Fall seasonals being dumped right now, Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest is the only one I keep going back to. It's a perfectly balanced festbier and you can put them back. Good poo poo.

It smells like a real Oktoberfest but tastes like a generic craft lager. Bell's is the only authentic tasting American Oktoberfest I've had.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Lactose Is Wack posted:

actually we spend a lot of money on quality control and rotation. certain suppliers like Boston Beer for instance keep our inventory at such a level that it is flipped ever 1-2 weeks. it would rare to find a case in the trade that doesn't have close to the max shelf life remaining.

Thats goodm because every beer i buy at any store here in los angeles is between 2 and 6 months old. What is your beer company?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

tap my mountain posted:

Lol all hops are "old hops". They only harvest them once a year. Any beer made this year is using hops harvested from the fall of last year, regardless of who is brewing it.

Factually correct, but I meant old as in "spent a few minths in the bottle." The difference between a 3 week old ipa and a two minth old ipa is shockingly stark

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Drunk Nerds posted:

Factually correct, but I meant old as in "spent a few minths in the bottle." The difference between a 3 week old ipa and a two minth old ipa is shockingly stark

Truth. It's like the difference between fresh vegetables and canned vegetables.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Hops are pellet-ized and are typically stored cold. That keeps them pretty fresh. Whole cone hops don't typically last as long. Also a lot of IPAs use hop extract to bump up IBUs in the beer on the cheap because hops are expensive as gently caress.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my city is filthy with em

im drinking a good ol lager beer right now

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

moflika posted:

Seriously, Sierra Nevada makes some of the best IPAs and they make it look easy.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

I live in Portland, Oregon - gently caress all the IPA's. Everywhere.

My go-to is by Tugboat Brewing (a hole in the wall place) called Chernobyl Stout, 14 percent.

That being said, I can deal with an IPA here and there, but if it's not a stout, the bitterness just isn't for me.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

moflika posted:

I don't think there anything wrong with standard Sierra Nevada IPA. It's reliably very good and reasonably priced. That and torpedo are often my choices when I go somewhere that has a lot of boring looking stuff on draft.

I heard years ago they use whole cone hops and not pellets too. Don't know if that still is or ever was true but I like it.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Quadrapellegiance posted:

I live in Portland, Oregon - gently caress all the IPA's. Everywhere.

My go-to is by Tugboat Brewing (a hole in the wall place) called Chernobyl Stout, 14 percent.

That being said, I can deal with an IPA here and there, but if it's not a stout, the bitterness just isn't for me.

Tugboat is a loving shithole. The worst beer on the planet.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Tugboat is a loving shithole. The worst beer on the planet.

Was about to reply with this as well. But you can read Mein Kampf while you drink it!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Honestly man I try every beer my friends get, and most of them are into craft poo poo but I haven't tasted one I wanted to buy on the regular. I've got an open mind but nothing has pulled me away from Yuengling yet.

That said, I gotta say nothing is worse than the "lol u don't drink only craft beer u fukkin plebe :smug: " types. Just gently caress man enjoy what you drink and who cares beyond that.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Hogge Wild posted:

ipas = piss

this is correct

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Honky Dong Country posted:

nothing has pulled me away from Yuengling

this is also correct

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

let it mellow posted:

this is also correct

Hell yeah bro. Yuengling owns. I'm also a fan of Michelob amber bock.

I don't pretend to have good taste I just like what I like. Iunno some day I might find a craft beer I like but across several years I just try a thing and conclude "ew loving yuck no thanks."

E: my posts can also be taken as an endorsement of liquor over beer because a beer gut sucks. Get wrecked without all the carbs, I say. George Dickel rye over beer in general, scrubs. But I still love beer :smith:

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 7, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yuengling is super cheap in pennsylvania. it's the one positive thing about the state's booze culture, which is ruined by the worst liquor laws in america

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I bought a different milk stout to try, since I haven't seen the other one in over a month, and it's also delicious. Apprently milk stouts own. PYF milk stout anecdotes itt.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Currently Drinking Trader Joe'a Simpler Times lager. $3.50 for a six-pack. Tastes like sour Coors Light. 6.2% abv. :cheers:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I prefer Trader Joe's Name Tag lager more.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Hogge Wild posted:

ipas = piss

:agreed:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Honky Dong Country posted:

E: my posts can also be taken as an endorsement of liquor over beer because a beer gut sucks. Get wrecked without all the carbs, I say. George Dickel rye over beer in general, scrubs. But I still love beer :smith:

Go away forever idiot

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I bought a different milk stout to try, since I haven't seen the other one in over a month, and it's also delicious. Apprently milk stouts own. PYF milk stout anecdotes itt.

Milkdrinker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Is liking IPAs the same as putting ketchup on steak or is it more akin to eating super spicy food for no reason

I just like bitter :(

• Locked thread