Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Wow this is one hell of a vault for D2. I hope I can come back and wipe it. First room had adder, worm, etc.

Thought I would show the rest of that air vault in Zot, too:

...taking out lightning spires from behind bars with portal projectile.

...Black Draconian Annihilator with a lightning rod.

...portal projectile really does NOT play fair.

...dumped about 60 arrows into the tornado generators. Thought I saw a bit of damage, might have been hallucinating. The draconians that spawned in these rooms were sure unhappy.

...and finally, the loot.

Bonus pic: some serious legolas poo poo went down in this orb vault:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

IronicDongz posted:

protip for zot 5: worship Xom whole game to get incredible mutation set, then have him randomly teleport you into the orb room 2 steps away from the orb with a permanent tele trap right next to it which teleports you near the upstairs
playable here in one of the experimental branches. They're like ogres but worse at melee, considerably better at magic(and with more MP than normal), and are somewhat stealthy.
With those mutations you could have won without equipment, geez.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Johnny Joestar posted:

people were talking about removing ogres if those spellcaster giants get added and I Just Can't Support That Idea

Can we please keep these people far away from Crawl

Austen Tassletine posted:

How about keep haste, but make you unable to gain xp whilst using it? That could create an actual significant trade off when deciding to use it in difficult but rewarding (in terms of xp) fights.

That seems like a really weird way to go about creating a drawback that I doubt would mesh with modern crawl design. More importantly, it wouldn't really address the big thing about haste; its basically a standard exp dump target for almost every single extended character. Even an idiot minotaur that has maxed out all his combat skills will have so much exp coming in that he can get haste castable. And once haste is online, a lot of characters really wouldn't care about exp anymore since they are already ridiculously buff. So that penalty would really only be relevant to a character that tries to use haste prior to extended or Zot.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Araganzar posted:

...dumped about 60 arrows into the tornado generators. Thought I saw a bit of damage, might have been hallucinating. The draconians that spawned in these rooms were sure unhappy.

Those are diamond obelisks. They have 10k HP and a mere 12 AC, so while you can definitely scratch them you aren't going to be killing them without a metric ton of arrows. And with a puny 8 HD, the experience gain from doing so is minimal! :science:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Haste could unavoidably slow you after a set duration the same way swiftness does, or it could be a charm/hex that has to pierce another monster's MR and steal that monster's speed, maybe. Or it could create a weird tradeoff where you gain attack speed but lose move speed, or vice versa (whichever one you just did makes the next action of the opposite kind slower). Or maybe it's the opposite and you have to keep taking different actions, because you lose the speed bonus on consecutive moves/attacks/spellcasts/evocations.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Can we please keep these people far away from Crawl

That seems like a really weird way to go about creating a drawback that I doubt would mesh with modern crawl design. More importantly, it wouldn't really address the big thing about haste; its basically a standard exp dump target for almost every single extended character. Even an idiot minotaur that has maxed out all his combat skills will have so much exp coming in that he can get haste castable. And once haste is online, a lot of characters really wouldn't care about exp anymore since they are already ridiculously buff. So that penalty would really only be relevant to a character that tries to use haste prior to extended or Zot.

Although I don't disagree that it goes against current philosophy, as I understand it most characters don't go to post game. Once you're going 15 runes and doing zigs, few things matter. But earlier on when your weighing up which branch to do or dodging a particularly tricky unique, the choice between hasteing and entering a dangerous fight or foregoing the exp and braving it without could be an interesting choice.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

That's a drawback that you can game around, though -- being hasted means that it's rarely difficult to just retreat around a corner, and then you can just kill the enemy when it wears off. If the -XP lasts for a while, then we're just forcing the player to spend more turns doing nothing.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
crawl history/trivia: robe of the archmagi used to be balanced by reducing your xp gain to 5% of normal

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Make enchantments great exist again!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

How about a stronger short duration haste that when it ends the enemies around you get to take the turns they missed (if they're not dead already). So you're strongly hasted but then paralyzed, effectively.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i have stayed away from crawl for close to a year only to return to see an advocate for the reintroduction of paralysis

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i have stayed away from crawl for close to a year only to return to see an advocate for the reintroduction of paralysis

Maybe if you go away for another year we can get rMut back

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Reintroduction? Paralysis never left.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

resistentialism posted:

How about a stronger short duration haste that when it ends the enemies around you get to take the turns they missed (if they're not dead already). So you're strongly hasted but then paralyzed, effectively.
That sounds too strong, we should balance it by restricting actions to melee attacks.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Casting haste has a 1 in 100 chance of instadeath. Bing bong bing so simple.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Hasting exponentially decreases the anti-scumming 200 million turn limit per use, because you're disrupting the space-time continuum or some poo poo.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Just multiply the contamination by a hundred.
Also make monsters with haste cast it at the player offensively.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Sage Grimm posted:

Those are diamond obelisks. They have 10k HP and a mere 12 AC, so while you can definitely scratch them you aren't going to be killing them without a metric ton of arrows. And with a puny 8 HD, the experience gain from doing so is minimal! :science:

Diamond obelisks are hard-coded not to take damage at all anymore.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Is the new basajaun race available in offline trunk or just the experimental branch online?

I haven't been playing for the last few weeks but I might play one of these dudes

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Bring back haste, but it's only castable by Ogres.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Bring back haste, but it's only castable by Felids.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Bring back haste, but it's only castable by Ogres.

It's called skullcrusher

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

I am Otis posted:

Is the new basajaun race available in offline trunk or just the experimental branch online?

I haven't been playing for the last few weeks but I might play one of these dudes

Only in the experimental branch, sorry. It might go into trunk in 0.20?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

pathetic little tramp posted:

Casting haste has a 1 in 100 chance of instadeath. Bing bong bing so simple.

This is literally how a lot of AD&D GMs liked to "balance" things

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

Only in the experimental branch, sorry. It might go into trunk in 0.20?

Thanks for the reply man

dcss is my game but I'm putting it on pause for a while. I like the direction of the game but I'm waiting till some new editions come out.

I've played since 2011 I think and it's never been better in my opinion.

Thanks for the good work.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LogicNinja posted:

This is literally how a lot of AD&D GMs liked to "balance" things

Well, that was right out of the core rules as Haste aged you by a random number of years permanently. In AD&D, haste was definitely an emergency spell.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Balance haste with stat rot, -5 to all three stats or something that goes away with xp. You aren't doomed if it wears off in combat, but your spells will be weaker and harder to cast, your armor might over encumber you and you defences will be weaker. For flavour say that the magical energies unnaturally age you, which fades over time (xp gain).

This gives you a tactical choice (Do I want to go fast), and a strategic choice (Can I deal with the stat rot). It also stops you from spamming it as you won't be able to afford to have your stats sink so low.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I am Otis posted:

You should be able to build it from the basajuan branch on GitHub.

After you clone, git checkout basajuan, then build.

build instructions are in INSTALL.txt

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Arivia posted:

Well, that was right out of the core rules as Haste aged you by a random number of years permanently. In AD&D, haste was definitely an emergency spell.

Add age as a random stat, from 60+ you can randomly die of natural death, or earlier with mutations.

_The shining eye gazes at you.
_Strange energies course through your body.
_Your heart feels weaker.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Eating pizza slightly lowers the age before it starts checking for heart failure.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Add age as a random stat, from 60+ you can randomly die of natural death, or earlier with mutations.

_The shining eye gazes at you.
_Strange energies course through your body.
_Your heart feels weaker.

i could have sworn there was a roguelike where you actually could die of old age in pretty much that way. angband, maybe?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Certain ghosts in ADOM age you on hit IIRC.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Yep, killed a char recently by dying of old age after drinking from a pool.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Please don't trigger ADOM flashbacks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PleasingFungus posted:

i could have sworn there was a roguelike where you actually could die of old age in pretty much that way. angband, maybe?
Well, A Quest Too Far is entirely based around being old(you start with an inventory full of powerful items, but every X turns as your old-age-pains set in your inventory limit decreases by one and you must drop an item to continue moving)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
I'm pretty sure I was thinking of ADOM, but A Quest Too Far sounds more interesting.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

whoops

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bowling with spiders

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like the pattern on their backs being S shapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Internet Kraken posted:

Bowling with spiders
Would be nice if your pictures ended up on the Arts page at some time, they're very beautiful! Pester PleasingFungus with this :) Many style points for the tile-letter legends, too.

• Locked thread