Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

a bone to pick posted:

Like just set up that she was aware of the force in some way and instantly her Mary sue card is revoked.

They literally had a scene where Han Solo tells them the Force is real and not the mumbo jumbo like in the stories where they heard about the Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Capntastic posted:

If Rey's characterization seems hollow it's because all we learn of her is "junk scavenger" and she had no other characters to communicate woth before the plot kicks up. Compare to Luke who is a poor teenager who collects model spaceships and dirtbikes with his friends when he can skip out on farm chores. If anything Rey living in abject poverty should have provided more opportunities to drum up sympathy but they portrayed her as a stoic, working class schmuck who has no real goals or aspirations.

She wanted to go into space. She had a helmet.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

a bone to pick posted:

None of these complaints would be valid if they had like one little scene showing her using the force when scavenging, like force pulling a piece of junk towards her or using the force to swing on her rope to grab some junk.

Like just set up that she was aware of the force in some way and instantly her Mary sue card is revoked.

Just show her having supernaturally good instincts at picking scrap piles to dig through and being able to drive a cartoonishly hard bargain on the scrap dealer just by asking nicely and the guy is confused about why he's so nice to her. Show her being unaware of these powers and abusing them without knowing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Rei wasnt really the big issue with the movie

the fact that the entire movie was just rehashing poo poo from the old ones was the biggest issue

"we're finally making a new star wars movie! It's EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE OLD ONES"

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Capntastic posted:

Just show her having supernaturally good instincts at picking scrap piles to dig through and being able to drive a cartoonishly hard bargain on the scrap dealer just by asking nicely and the guy is confused about why he's so nice to her. Show her being unaware of these powers and abusing them without knowing.

Maybe she could have a scene with another scavenger and she explains that she gets intuition of where to look and when danger's approaching. Maybe because she can sense danger and the other person can't, the other person ends up dying. Or even a moment where she's being super assertive and shouts something like, "You're not going to screw me over on this" and the giant pig-man gives her those food packets and repeats, "I'm not going to screw you over on this."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zzulu posted:

the fact that the entire movie was just rehashing poo poo from the old ones was the biggest issue

"we're finally making a new star wars movie! It's EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE OLD ONES"

It's like they didn't think it was worth the time to have any sort of character development or show people's origins or really explain who characters are because we already know which character they're re-hashing. "Oh she's the new Luke, right, poor on a desert planet and super good at the force, you don't need to tell me anymore I know who luke is."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

MrSlam posted:

I must be in the category of 'bad nerd' cause it always bothered me that Luke suddenly knew how to use the force to move things in Empire. I didn't equate Force with Telekinesis. Same for when he did that super-jump during the Vader fight, but then he had the excuse of training with Yoda.

When I saw Empire I was a little baby (it was still my fav. tho because I was a cool baby) and it didn't bother me because the force was all mysterious and poo poo and since Darth Vader could choke people it wasn't like I hadn't encountered the idea that it could do physical stuff before.

Five year old me says Luke pulling his lightsaber toward him is legit.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The TFA almost review was good but not nearly good enough to justify a solid month of no half in the bag, et al, videos.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Jive posted:

They literally had a scene where Han Solo tells them the Force is real and not the mumbo jumbo like in the stories where they heard about the Force.

So somehow that translates into her instantly knowing how to use the force?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Rey not wanting to do the force stuff or go on adventures is a JJ Abrams inversion thing

Where they're taking plot points wholesale from a movie and then reverse some of them. Example: what if SPOCK yelled KAAAHN this time.

Luke wants to live Tatooine, Rey wants to stay on "Tatooine". They're similar characters who want opposite things.
It turns out it's a terrible idea and makes her less interesting but they weren't thinking of that.

The inversion thing is a really stupid practice and it's an excuse to be even less original than they'd be otherwise eg, they're not making up a new thing and thinking through how it works, the entire point of doing it is still motivated by what the original did.

I remember seeing several other things that were "Let's do the opposite of something the first Star Wars movie did and say we're being clever" but I can't really remember them well.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It always seemed like a huge miss that the saber isn't something that can only be used via the force manipulation.

Like, normies can't even activate them specific. Something about the crystal or how long the blade is could be explicitly linked to a wielders knowledge and use of the force. Not just deflecting shots and junk.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

It always seemed like a huge miss that the saber isn't something that can only be used via the force manipulation.

Like, normies can't even activate them specific. Something about the crystal or how long the blade is could be explicitly linked to a wielders knowledge and use of the force. Not just deflecting shots and junk.

I see your Schwartz is longer than mine.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I actually thought for a long time that the ability to use a light saber was only linked to jedis and siths because of the force. Like, I don't know where I got that idea from.

Like, the idea of robots using sabers in the prequels was not weird?

Plus then you can have cool stuff like finn being able to fight, even poorly, as something relevatory because it means he's attuned in some degree

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Why doesn't a force user just sit behind some sturdy metal and fight by levitating a hundred glowing lightsabers around, like this but with lightsabers

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

RaySmuckles posted:

except that the whole original trilogy, the one we all like, was about luke searching for someone to teach him the ways of the force. you know, teacher characters like "obi wan kenobi" and "yoda." its already established that its something that requires a teacher, training, and years of practice.

Yeah that's fair. Still, what did they really teach him? Obi Wan was all "Use the Force trust in the Force trust your emotions" and Yoda was all "Stop trying to do it and just do it." Nobody taught Luke how to descend into the third level of subawareness and use midichlorians to connect the locii of his hand and the lightsaber.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
let's make a 3rd death star, but EVEN BIGGER and it can BLOW UP MORE PLANETS LIKE A SPACE SHOTGUN

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

I actually thought for a long time that the ability to use a light saber was only linked to jedis and siths because of the force. Like, I don't know where I got that idea from.

Like, the idea of robots using sabers in the prequels was not weird?

Plus then you can have cool stuff like finn being able to fight, even poorly, as something relevatory because it means he's attuned in some degree

I always thought it's not that you literally have to use the force to turn on a light saber, it's just that you need crazy magic powers to ever make it a practical weapon. Any rando today could take a sword and slice open a dead farm animal to crawl inside and stay warm, but to fight a battle with a sword where everyone else is shooting you with guns and you're just deflecting that poo poo you have to have space magic.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Do we really need a training sequence? Can we just kinda move on to something more interesting?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Do we really need a training sequence? Can we just kinda move on to something more interesting?

Why develop characters? Just have them do things!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Jive posted:

Yeah that's fair. Still, what did they really teach him? Obi Wan was all "Use the Force trust in the Force trust your emotions" and Yoda was all "Stop trying to do it and just do it." Nobody taught Luke how to descend into the third level of subawareness and use midichlorians to connect the locii of his hand and the lightsaber.

Well, we see obi wan training him with the helmet and laser ball, but your point is well taken. I figure its like obi wan just left him some text books and he did some self study. or he at least taught luke some rudimentary exercises and luke just practiced those a bunch. because its definitely true that there wasn't much one on one time with obi wan considering he gets snuffed in the death star early on. the moving poo poo thing seems pretty low level to me, so luke could have been aware he could move stuff (told by obi wan), practiced moving small stuff, and then the lightsaber was like the biggest thing he'd ever tried and he struggled with it but got it just in time!

also, lol, i'm more inclined to believe the force is more fluid than your hilarious last sentence. man, people dug too deep into how it all works, lol.

CharlestonJew posted:

let's make a 3rd death star, but EVEN BIGGER and it can BLOW UP MORE PLANETS LIKE A SPACE SHOTGUN

yeah, this was hands down the dumbest part of the whole loving movie.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Why doesn't a force user just sit behind some sturdy metal and fight by levitating a hundred glowing lightsabers around, like this but with lightsabers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yModCU1OVHY

Zzulu posted:

PLEASE! STOP DOING THINGS THAT ARE DIFFERENT!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
different but good would be good

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Krinkle posted:

The TFA almost review was good but not nearly good enough to justify a solid month of no half in the bag, et al, videos.

They could have made a BotW without Mike. But they chose not to.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
a wise decision

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

dreezy posted:

I loving hate copyright and what it's done to media criticism and analysis. those montages at the end of the clones and sith reviews flawlessly juxtaposed the emotion and magic of the original trilogy with the utter soullessness of the prequels. they're easily the best editing rlm has ever done, exemplars of the film essay format. thank gently caress the moneygrubbing capitalist pigdogs didn't remove the force theme from the end of the ep2 montage and neuter it like they did to ep3. it's absolutely fair use and youtube can suck the poo poo out of my b-hole.

I rewatched the ep3 reviews and I agree completely - the trench run music carries so much emotion for that part and that royalty free music is just awful. with the death of blip, there's no way to see the original either :(

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Zzulu posted:

a wise decision

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Grondoth posted:

"Can't we just know they drove there?"

Also, R2D2 is the Mary Sue in these movies.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Grondoth posted:

JJ just screams this at his writers until they push out a script.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bunch of cool guys nodding and repeating to themselves that episode 7 was bad itt.

There's pre-rec vids up currently where Rich Evans refuses to accept Starship Troopers is a satirical film and doesn't openly endorse fascism.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know what's funnier, fascists who thought Starship troopers was a rad movie that totally showed their military dystopia as awesome and a good society and totally wasn't mocking them, or the ones who understood it was a parody and were extremely upset that the movie mocked the poo poo out of the "political philosophy" of the book ?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Paul Verhoven, survivor of Nazi occupation and fascism supporter

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Starship troopers is amazing because it is both very satirical and very sincere at the same time and actually makes it work. It's also a war movie that has two high school love triangles going on concurrently and solves them by having the third guy/girl in each one killed by aliens. Paul Verhoeven is brilliant.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

"Can't we just know they drove there?"

Also, R2D2 is the Mary Sue in these movies.

I think there's a decent argument to be made for this yeah.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The part that surprised me the most during TFA was the part when finn revealed to ray in that bar that he was lying the whole time about being a resistance fighter and is actually a defected imperial troop and ray understood/forgave the deception like an adult and didn't immediately flip the gently caress out and throw a tantrum because he lied to her like every loving annoying rear end side character does in every single movie ever made any time someone discovers they were lied to regardless of its justification.

other than that ray sucks rear end, has as much personality as a prequels character and I hope she does get irreversibly turned to the dark side and kyloren reluctantly becomes good because that is supremely my poo poo and would make both characters way better :-]

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Force Awakens was a well made movie for eight year olds, featuring a character eight year old girls would absolutely love, and my eight year old daughter thought it was super awesome, and I was very happy to watch a movie with her that I didn't hate.

5 loving stars. Succeeds on all levels.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Starship troopers was really good and probably the first movie that made me realize what a satire is. That and Top Secret!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I figured Rey knew how to use force things because she'd been training with Luke when she was, like, three. Then she was taken away and dumped in the desert for some reason. Or no reason. But she was too young to really remember the details of the training, but it still left her with subconscious force skills.

It would be really neat if the next movie actually explained her background, and they're clearly setting that up by having her meet (or return to) Luke.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

temple posted:

Starship troopers was really good and probably the first movie that made me realize what a satire is. That and Top Secret!

Top Secret and Airplane have those scene framing gags that are some of the funniest things in cinema because they are so unexpected.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If the new films don't have at least one where they bring BoShek back, they can 'GoFeck' off. (I hope Rey is really BoShek's daughter.)

Echo Chamber posted:

I'd argue that Batman, Jason Bourne, Frank Underwood, and Liam Neeson are all Mary Sues. I find the hyper-competent Sue way more annoying than the self-insert Sue. And Rey isn't really either.

Also, that bitching about Mary Sues is a lame and lazy avenue of film criticism, and that's why old-timey film critics as well as RLM didn't go there.

Also, gently caress Max Landis; he's just annoying.

Conversely, a character like Batman has sort of been tempered with being constantly presented as emotionally unstable, an rear end in a top hat and alienating to the people closest to him (which might make him the greatest, truest self-insert character/Mary Sue of them all.)

Another thing is that a lot of characters like Batman are being critiqued a lot recently in criticisms that put them in a very negative light due to their characterization. Half the posts in some threads are about how Batman is NOT a heroic figure and is in-fact the greatest criminal menace in Gotham, that he's a piece of poo poo for even BEING Batman at all and he's worse than useless, etc..

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Half the posts in some threads are about how Batman is NOT a heroic figure and is in-fact the greatest criminal menace in Gotham, that he's a piece of poo poo for even BEING Batman at all and he's worse than useless, etc..

I hate how in recent films (not just Batman) theyre doing this thing where they argue that the heros ARE the problem because the bad guys come to fight them. Thats like saying the police are the problem when people commit crimes. Its a dumb argument, and if the heros werent there youd all be slaves or dead.

• Locked thread