Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Startyde posted:

https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-heat/
Of all the things they could be announcing an OTO biscuit isn't one of the things I'd be excited about. Might be real fun for acid but at the price you sure could buy a lot of RATs.

Hm, $750 seems okay to me with the filter, EQ, modulation and soundcard/Overbridge thrown in. I *think* +22dBu max is okay for modular levels. Hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'm so curious. I'm gonna need to hear a lot of demos though. Why no compressor?

Those are all things I want... but not from Elektron. If that were say a Moog box (and half the price) I'd be pre-ordering to throw it after my MD or something but those are all weak points for Elektron, IMO/E. Though I'm commenting mostly based on the digital boxes, and I'm constantly surprised and inspired by for things I never would have expected looking at their copy materials.

It would make a cool I/OTB setup with the Roland boxes, though... If I were to sell all my stuff and rebuild a minimal acid setup, this would be the year.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
The new elektron thing looks like it would be way more useful for a guitarist/bassist than a synth geek.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Yeah I'm surprised it doesn't have a hi-z in on the front or something.
Apparently it does have CV in so I imagine some modular dudes will be excited to use it to do something. Too bad not cv out though.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

If I'm using a guitar pedal as a send, do I want a DI box or a pre-amp to get it back to line level?

Its a Boss RE-20 Space Echo specifically, and it outputs at -20 dbU I believe.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

JamesKPolk posted:

I'm so curious. I'm gonna need to hear a lot of demos though. Why no compressor?

It has a (presumably software) envelope follower, so you're most of the way to a compressor right there. The demo tracks on their SoundCloud have a bunch of that side chain pumping going on. But yeah, I'll need some demos and probably a Sonicstate review. I'm sure they're going to bury a lot of features in the firmware.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

JamesKPolk posted:

If I'm using a guitar pedal as a send, do I want a DI box or a pre-amp to get it back to line level?

Its a Boss RE-20 Space Echo specifically, and it outputs at -20 dbU I believe.

It depends on the pedal. The RE-20 should be fine as long as you don't push the levels going into it.

Most delay, reverb, and modulation pedals that are usually placed in a guitar amp's effects loop should be able to handle line level.

Have you tried it yet? Some guitar pedals might require hi-z conversion to get the best out of them, but signal degradation is an essential part of the sound of tape delays like the RE-20.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Tatumje posted:

Have you tried it yet? Some guitar pedals might require hi-z conversion to get the best out of them, but signal degradation is an essential part of the sound of tape delays like the RE-20.

Yeah and I HATE it - it's been a thorn in my side for years. I'm just about to give up on it, I just want to make sure I've at least tried everything (cause I do like the sound when I hop through the absurd gain staging hoops I have to hop through). It's clearly designed for a guitar first and foremost and I realize I'm not the main use case, but the manual makes it seem like it works for non-guitar sends as well as guitar loops.

Anyway, pardon the venting. It seems like it handles the line signal well, by attenuating it. Its the output.

When I get it tuned to the right input (with the peak light briefly flashing, per the manual, or just under there, per my ears), I can get it to make the noises I want when I have my return cranked to +20 db... compared to the ones where I get that result at unity and I have headroom (and even then it's quiet to my tastes).

This makes sense comparing the -20 db output on the RE-20 to higher level ones, but isn't ideal workflow wise. So what do I do? I feel like it's a pre-amp reading what I typed... but I don't really know anything about guitars or DI so I wanted to ask.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
What model audio interface do you have?

It sounds like you need either a DI box, a different audio interface, or (hopefully) a different setting on your current audio interface.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

It's all into an old Mackie SR series mixer (which then runs into a 828 but the goal is to have it handled before I hit that stage).

I have an old Boss rack delay that does similar things (the input knob sits at about 2, the output is cranked, and I do a bunch of boosting through the preamps) but there are YouTubes about modding them for better output, as it apparently comes with the "guitar delay" territory, or did when Boss was releasing full racks.

DI box seems like the cheaper solution, at least...

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Yes. A DI box should work. I made some assumptions on your original question that I should not have. Most audio interfaces come with at least one mic/instrument-preamp input, which is basically what you need to add to your mixer setup.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Cool, thank you! I'll give it a shot.

JamesKPolk posted:

Yeah I think I phrased it badly - I'm looking for something that will send MIDI start/stop based on note (or something).

I think anyway.

Solved this with a x0xb0x fw update to SokkOS 2.0 which gives pattern selection via MIDI!

...and remembering the SQ-1 only outputs MIDI clock anyway.

Does anyone know if its possible to use a Volca to send MIDI start/stop to the SQ-1?

(and RIP DJ Spank Spank)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
fukken brains !!!!!

it was working last patch with a clock to clk in and taking gates from the last gate out on the latter pressure points but now its just doing that step when its on that step. wth!
god this is what i get for trying to make a playable instrument inside my case :smith:

e ofc its gotta make a liar outta me
but it only works by pulling the cable half out
ee i mean yeah i can mult the clock feeding it but it was working how i patched and then it stopped working like that. maddening!

byob historian fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 24, 2016

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Does anyone have the Speak & Spell eurorack module? https://www.modulargrid.net/e/synthesis-technology-e950
I think that might be my next module purchase. Every demo I've heard using it sounds really awesome.

edit: Wow, apparently the guy who sells this module worked on the Speak & Spell in the '80s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpz3mVPos6U

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 2, 2016

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
off-topic, nevermind.

Jerry Bindle fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 2, 2016

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Ohai, here's a new track I made. :frogc00l:

https://soundcloud.com/mattwalters/ympektid-interference

This is the first track I've made which includes the Machinedrum. I won't claim to know it well yet but I am really impressed. Other than the MD, this is all my modular. The RYO Optodist I finished building yesterday got a bit of a workout here and will continue to do - it sounds loving amazing and has sweet spots all over the place.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

HandlingByJebus posted:

Ohai, here's a new track I made. :frogc00l:

https://soundcloud.com/mattwalters/ympektid-interference

This is the first track I've made which includes the Machinedrum. I won't claim to know it well yet but I am really impressed. Other than the MD, this is all my modular. The RYO Optodist I finished building yesterday got a bit of a workout here and will continue to do - it sounds loving amazing and has sweet spots all over the place.

Nice stuff, I wish that I could support a machinedrum and live out my early 2000s IDM fantasies :( Want to hook a brother up with some sample chains?

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
I want to like the Machinedrum more - it's quite versatile in sound and some of its workflow is pretty nice (p-locking, pattern chaining, etc), but anything involving menu-diving is a pain in the arse.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Just when you thought the new Behringer synth couldn't have any more weird features and interface options:

HoloLens Integration

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
[img]http://i.imgur.com/zphTM0r.jpg][/img]

Arturia uncages the DrumBrute, a $499 all-analogue drum machine

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Makenoise uploaded a video to their youtube showing all the different farts you can make with the 0-Coast.

For some reason I'm thinking about getting one more and more now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ooooh my. I was idly eyeing the TR-8 but a 64-step sequencer vs. 16 is... gonna be very hard to resist.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Wow. DrumBrute makes me regret getting a TR-8. All analog, song mode, 64 step sequences, individual outputs, flams (without purchasing the 7x7 upgrade), and a useable stutter effect for the same price as the TR-8.

Is NAMM or something else happening now? This seems like a huge announcement to drop outside of a trade show.

Edit: DrumBrute also looks a lot better without the neon green that Roland insists on putting everywhere.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 7, 2016

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
God I have such mixed feelings about Arturia. I really like the products themselves but they're so damned flakey and their support is awful.

That being said I am unreasonably excited about the Drumbrute and will likely buy it the minute it's out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tatumje posted:

Edit: DrumBrute also looks a lot better without the neon green that Roland insists on putting everywhere.
Whereas I would happily put neon green all over the Drumbrute but I never claimed to have good taste.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Looks cool, but after all the issues with their stuff I'm not buying.

That and it doesn't record knob movement like even the Volcas are capable of.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hol2hnQEePg

Sequencer looks deep (for $500) (bar the motion sequencing), lots of outs, and it sounds good too. I have all the bases covered but I still kind of want it (my reaction to literally every drum machine, though).

Tatumje posted:

Wow. DrumBrute makes me regret getting a TR-8. All analog, song mode, 64 step sequences, individual outputs, flams (without purchasing the 7x7 upgrade), and a useable stutter effect for the same price as the TR-8.

Is NAMM or something else happening now? This seems like a huge announcement to drop outside of a trade show.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Whereas I would happily put neon green all over the Drumbrute but I never claimed to have good taste.

I'd like to see the wood panels and the neon swapped between the two, PERSONALLY. Both schemes feel like misses.

(and thanks for the Space Echo tip, night and day when I run it through a normal inst/mic channel vs a return).

algebra testes posted:

Makenoise uploaded a video to their youtube showing all the different farts you can make with the 0-Coast.

For some reason I'm thinking about getting one more and more now.

I adore mine.

On top of the stuff in the video, I've gotten some lovely triangle-based sub bass sounds dialing the transistor-LPG back a bit and doing just a bit of harmonic motion - kind of half way between an upright bass and an 808. If you're in to shaping envelopes, it's incredible.

I bet its even better if you have Euro stuff to link it with but I've gotten a ton out of it just interfacing with pedals and other semi-modulars. Or just itself (but get a delay if you can).

The one thing I find myself missing is an input to the waveshaper. MIDI Clock-syncable LFOs would be nice too, but being able to tap tempo covers a lot of bases, and I MAY just need to configure things better.

On the other side, the menu functions are a pain, but it's a set-and-forget thing for the most part.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Thumbs up for individual outputs.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Watching drumbrute preview on sonicstate. No cowbell? Dropped

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Everything else looks so right, I can only hope they didn't shoot themselves in the foot by not having automation capture somewhere in the sequencer.

After watching the failure of the Tomcat, I'll wait until I see some reviews and have to wait a couple months to beat back demand.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
why would they bother with motion sequencing on an analog machine?
that would make it way more complex, and arturia certainly dont need any extra complications.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I got a Bitranger over the weekend. The production quality is a little less than I expected, but time just flies by while I've got my headphones plugged in.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

why would they bother with motion sequencing on an analog machine?
that would make it way more complex, and arturia certainly dont need any extra complications.
There's no direct voltage control of parameters, so the only way you could do envelope/lfo/etc kinds of modulations on those parameters would be through midi cc. At least with my workflow, all the drum track baking to achieve the same effect would slow me down so much that I'd probably avoid modulating parameters entirely...that's why my minibrute has been collecting dust lately.

Even mfb gets it right on midi while maintaining a similar price and build quality to arturia.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I picked up the E950 Circuit Bent VCO when I was in Portland this weekend, and it's my new favorite module.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Received my order of the new PO 20 series superset, but one of the LEDs on the Arcade is stuck forever in super bright on mode.
It's abit sad because the Arcade was the one I was looking forward to the most.
I've sent an email to TE, and I'm hoping something can be done.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

JamesKPolk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hol2hnQEePg

Sequencer looks deep (for $500) (bar the motion sequencing), lots of outs, and it sounds good too. I have all the bases covered but I still kind of want it (my reaction to literally every drum machine, though).

I'd like to see the wood panels and the neon swapped between the two, PERSONALLY. Both schemes feel like misses.

(and thanks for the Space Echo tip, night and day when I run it through a normal inst/mic channel vs a return).

I adore mine.

On top of the stuff in the video, I've gotten some lovely triangle-based sub bass sounds dialing the transistor-LPG back a bit and doing just a bit of harmonic motion - kind of half way between an upright bass and an 808. If you're in to shaping envelopes, it's incredible.

I bet its even better if you have Euro stuff to link it with but I've gotten a ton out of it just interfacing with pedals and other semi-modulars. Or just itself (but get a delay if you can).

The one thing I find myself missing is an input to the waveshaper. MIDI Clock-syncable LFOs would be nice too, but being able to tap tempo covers a lot of bases, and I MAY just need to configure things better.

On the other side, the menu functions are a pain, but it's a set-and-forget thing for the most part.

The 0 Coast is an utterly brilliant machine. I've had mine for about six weeks and use it every day - to me, it perfectly scratches that "Music Easel" itch to have a thoughtfully laid-out West Coast voice that's endlessly explorable without just being a dumb noise machine. I've played two shows now just using the 0-Coast, something to sequence it, and a few effects and the thing just goes SO far. I can't recommend the keystep enough as a partner for it - it feels like they were designed for each other. I like tapping out the square wave (that you'd otherwise not hear without patching it somewhere) and sending it to a Makenoise LxD to run in parallel with whatever the shaped triangle wave is doing onboard. Comparing a vactrol-based lowpass gate to the transistor-based lowpass gate onboard is really interesting - I'm surprised at how well the transistor-based sound fares against the "real" optical LPG. I love this thing!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I got a silver machine

Was sort of going for a ghetto synthi. It's fun with an SQ1 and a beats on the top deck. Having trubs with the trap gen though, I don't think it likes the switchers I'm using for power. It won't cycle properly on its own like it will on my doepfer linear. :(

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Have any of you gotten hands-on with one of those TipTop Mantis cases? The price is good considering it's got power and doesn't use sliding nuts but I worry how flimsy it might be and the lack of a cover makes me a bit hesitant as well.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Bolange posted:

Have any of you gotten hands-on with one of those TipTop Mantis cases? The price is good considering it's got power and doesn't use sliding nuts but I worry how flimsy it might be and the lack of a cover makes me a bit hesitant as well.

I have one. It's not flimsy at all, I was surprised at the build quality honestly. The multi-position thing isn't a gimmick, either. I'm using mine in desktop mode right now and am digging it, especially for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I think I'm having a coming-of-age experience as a synthesist. I'm considering selling my whole modular setup. Dear god how have I arrived at this black pit of despair?