Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

DrSunshine posted:

I had an idea for a spell-related thing. How about allowing players to charge up certain offensive spells by casting them as a ritual? Like, being able to cast an even bigger fireball if you prepare and concentrate on the various magical incantations and writings and so on for like 10 minutes or so. It might be kind of cool to have like a boss fight or something where the players need to protect their wizard as he charges up his super destructive spell.

10 minutes is 100 rounds of combat. Just by casting the humble Fire Bolt cantrip during those rounds you could've gotten 200d10. I don't know what sort of benefit the Turbo Charged Fireball is supposed to get, but it sounds like a nightmare to balance this sort of thing. (Let alone the practicalities of spending 100 rounds of the spellcasting doing nothing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Spending 100 rounds of combat saying "I charge up some more" sounds cool and good

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it'd be an interesting gimmick to tell a player that they can "cast-and-hold" a spell as a ritual so that it doesn't cost them a spell slot, with the trade-off being that they have to roleplay-out holding that concentration the entire time, and that the first thing they do as combat starts always has to be releasing the spell before they can do anything more complicated than movement.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I'm ok with 100 rounds of charging as long as you still have to roll to hit at the end.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Look, the issue is that I would love to use Magic Circle in combat somehow and it's just not possible with the one minute casting time.

You can't even use it as a trap before combat begins because it's hard to
hide when "Glowing runes appear wherever the cylinder intersects with the floor or other surface" and if you cast it before monsters are in it, they just can't get in the circle! I want to trap monsters in my magic circle!!

Edit: also, why is it not a ritual spell?

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 7, 2016

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Doresh posted:

Everything is better with Chrono Trigger.

(Then again, technically everyone in Chrono Trigger is a caster to some extend.)

You know you want it.

Not everyone...

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

djw175 posted:

Not everyone...

She can heal and summon dinosaur parts. Must be some weird monk prestige class.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Those proportions are hosed up, as is her right thigh.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
It's not actually official art, I just hate Ayla's official art for mostly club based reasons.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Toriyama's art is the worst thing thing about Chrono Trigger and I will go to my grave confident in the righteousness of my beliefs.

Ayla owns, though.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 7, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Sage Genesis posted:

10 minutes is 100 rounds of combat. Just by casting the humble Fire Bolt cantrip during those rounds you could've gotten 200d10. I don't know what sort of benefit the Turbo Charged Fireball is supposed to get, but it sounds like a nightmare to balance this sort of thing. (Let alone the practicalities of spending 100 rounds of the spellcasting doing nothing.)

Yeah that's true! I thought about it some more and came to the same conclusion. Considering most combat is over in like less than a dozen, it would be rather unwieldy and unfun.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

The Crotch posted:

Toriyama's art is the worst thing thing about Chrono Trigger and I will go to my grave confident in the righteousness of my beliefs.

I'd say his style works best with monsters. And at least he isn't into fanservice and bishies.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Crotch posted:

Just like some of history's greatest monsters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah that's true! I thought about it some more and came to the same conclusion. Considering most combat is over in like less than a dozen, it would be rather unwieldy and unfun.

The World of Warcraft d20 RPG tried something similar with it's Pyroblast spell. You could charge it for X Number of rounds adding on a flat amount of damage per level for a maximum number of rounds equal to your caster level. In theory a 20th level mage could deal upwards of 600 damage if he charged for 20 rounds.

Or you could exploit the Mana Gem spell which, rather than restoring spell slots, let you store spells. So as a part of your morning prep you spent 2 minutes creating a move-action nuke that you could use once that day.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Doresh posted:

You know you want it.

Just in case, the DBZ rpg was a real thing and you'd literally spend multiple rounds screaming at each other before firing a single attack that ended combat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

Just in case, the DBZ rpg was a real thing and you'd literally spend multiple rounds screaming at each other before firing a single attack that ended combat.

I kind of want to play that now

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Curse of Strahd party question:

I was tagged to DM CoD for a group of 3-5 people (always in flux). They want to do a set of pregen characters to start with. What's a good handful of characters to give them for the campaign?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cat Face Joe posted:

I'm choosing to take your use of the term "literally" literally and "you" to mean the players

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Cat Face Joe posted:

Oh, I am aware of that. It's the one where you can roll a couple thousand d6s for damage and play forcefield ping pong till someone runs out of energy and explodes, isn't it?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Andrast posted:

It definitely has its short term charms.

Splicer posted:

I'm choosing to take your use of the term "literally" literally and "you" to mean the players

I don't use "literally" figuratively.

Doresh posted:

Oh, I am aware of that. It's the one where you can roll a couple thousand d6s for damage and play forcefield ping pong till someone runs out of energy and explodes, isn't it?

That's the one!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Andrast posted:

It is real bad and extremely busted.

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/lynx-winters/dragonball-z-the-anime-adventure-game/

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Doresh posted:

I'd say his style works best with monsters. And at least he isn't into fanservice and bishies.

Bishies are cool, you homophobic piece of poo poo.

Edit-or maybe you are just the garden variety fat and ugly piece of poo poo, which exaplains why you dislike depictions of good looking men.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nancy_Noxious posted:

Bishies are cool, you homophobic piece of poo poo.

Says the guy assuming that all Bishonen are homosexual or created to appeal to homosexual audiences :psyduck:

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Kurieg posted:

Says the guy assuming that all Bishonen are homosexual or created to appeal to homosexual audiences :psyduck:
Vocally disliking depictions of good looking men usually has homophobic motivation. Or just plain envy if we are talking about fat, smelly, ugly monsters.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Why are we talking about an artist that can only draw three male faces and one female face in the 5e thread?

Its october, howd that belmont class work out, whichever goon was giving it a whirl?

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Being able to do things only a handful of ways despite decades of experience is pretty appropriate for the 5e thread.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A Single Sphink posted:

Being able to do things only a handful of ways despite decades of experience is pretty appropriate for the 5e thread.

At least Toriyama is good at drawing the few faces he knows how to draw.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

A Single Sphink posted:

:vince:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nancy_Noxious posted:

Vocally disliking depictions of good looking men usually has homophobic motivation. Or just plain envy if we are talking about fat, smelly, ugly monsters.

And now you're ascribing your standards of attractiveness onto other people.

I know you're a Troll but at least put some effort into it.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Nancy_Noxious posted:

Guilty Gear's Bridget is my homie. I'm just suspicious anytime characters are drawn the way they are in an obvious attempt at fanservice.

It is also very biased to assume that homos are all hot, androgynous pretty boys. Give old and/or ugly homos a chance, man.

(And why would I be envious? I'd rather look like a cross between Alucard and Guts).

Andrast posted:

At least Toriyama is good at drawing the few faces he knows how to draw.

Didn't he stop using that vanilla DB women with the split personality disorder (that also changed her appearance) because he forgot how to draw her?

Doresh fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 7, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Doresh posted:

Didn't he stop using that vanilla DB women with the split personality disorder (that also changed her appearance) because he forgot how to draw her?

No, she just didn't appear for so long that he entirely forgot that the character existed.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013

NovaLion posted:

Curse of Strahd party question:

I was tagged to DM CoD for a group of 3-5 people (always in flux). They want to do a set of pregen characters to start with. What's a good handful of characters to give them for the campaign?

If you follow the treasure in the book without modifying it, core is cleric and/or paladin. Plus anyone who can wield a long sword or short sword. Lawful good alignment will make some of the content easier, but my group of neutral goodish pcs had a fun time anyway. Most used non healing spell was dispel magic followed by silence.

Good luck with your Call of Duty campaign.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Doresh posted:

ummmmm. did you even watch dragonball?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

KittyEmpress posted:

No, she just didn't appear for so long that he entirely forgot that the character existed.

And here I was always wondering why Toryiama never tackled complex plots.

Machai posted:

ummmmm. did you even watch dragonball?

Dragonball is like Sailor Moon for me in that I've read and watched just about everything of that IP, except for that one anime that made it famous and everyone else immediately thinks about when hearing the name (mainly because I wasn't into anime at that time and really don't feel like sitting through 400+ episodes of cheap animation and tons of filler). I'm the worst otaku ever.

Aka I just read the manga and played the video games. I guess vanillay DB had some very silly fanservice.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 7, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Chi Chi is Japanese slang for "boobies". Bulma's japanese pronunciation is the same as the super short gym-shorts girls had to wear at school.

I'm pretty sure the only girl not put in the series for the purposes of fanservice is Videl.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Kurieg posted:

Chi Chi is Japanese slang for "boobies". Bulma's japanese pronunciation is the same as the super short gym-shorts girls had to wear at school.

I'm pretty sure the only girl not put in the series for the purposes of fanservice is Videl.

I give it a past because it started as a very, very silly gag manga. I mean, at one point they used the power of nosebleeds to defeat an invisible enemy.

Meanwhile most harem anime have that kind of fanservice that makes you want to strangle whoever came up with it. Then again that's what harem anime is all about, amirite?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
All anime is bad. Hope this helps.

What's the best way I can use Conjure Animals? Eight wolves with pack attack was fun but I'm leaning towards 4 bears. Either way they seem to do a bunch of damage for two turns before they all go poof from soaking up attacks.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Neither of those is fanservice. There is very little actual fanservice in dragon ball unless you count all humor regarding sexuality/nudity to be fanservice.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

FAT BATMAN posted:

Edit: also, why is it not a ritual spell?

I've wondered that about a lot of spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
Off the top of my head, I can't think of a spell that would break the game being used as a ritual. I guess it would give wizards access to every spell in their book, not just prepared ones. Yeah that would be ludicrous.

What if we extend this to every class ability? Ignore your usage restrictions as long as you take 10 minutes doing it.

Oh I guess that would allow infinite healing per day.