Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How is normal mode Sophia? I haven't even tried that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You're not wrong! This not only does exactly what I wanted it to, it also looks like poo poo. I literally thought it did not work until I hit ctrl-A to see the numbers were actually there just impossible for me to see :allears:

Huh. I have no idea why THAT would happen.

e: also,

quote:

Can probably just make the button say "don't shuffle until seven/can't shuffle with eight" and call it a day.

Wish granted! This should be live in a minute or two.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 7, 2016

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Lemon-Lime posted:

Except for elves.

Around elves watch yourselves.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

How is normal mode Sophia? I haven't even tried that yet.

Good fun and pretty easy. Easy aoe dodges and the adds are manageable. The main mechanic just requires you to able to count and move, and not run off the edge when main tanking like I do every other time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thundarr posted:

The books are listed as requiring 2nd Lt rank to buy, just like the new jackets and hats. So good luck doing things the hard way first!

This is good to know.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SettingSun posted:

Good fun and pretty easy. Easy aoe dodges and the adds are manageable. The main mechanic just requires you to able to count and move, and not run off the edge when main tanking like I do every other time.

Ah. Not too crazy as a healer?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

NOT AN OF POST:

I really wish I could work out a good flow with cleric stance. I never feel like I have ever since I started playing this game over two years ago, worked out a comfortable way to use cleric stance in combat that allows me to easily switch between DPSing and healing.

Right now, I have all my heals on bar 1 and cleric stance and my DPS abilities on bar 2. When just soloing about, I just swap bar 1 into bar 2, so i can use my 1-10 keybinds for DPSing. But that''s no good when it comes to dungeons as I can't react fast enough.

I don't want to keybind my DPS abilities to CTRL + # because I hate using two button keybinds. This leaves me mostly just clicking abilities while I'm DPSing, which then leaves me unable to quickly react to movement as much.

I'm thinking of dedicating 1-5 to heals and 6-10 to DPS abilities so they're all easy one button keybinds. I really wish the #1 hotbar worked like WoW's rogue/druid stealth hotbar. When you swap into cleric stance, it automatically swaps to another hotbar. I know you can do this through macros, but that method is flawed and can gently caress you.

I also wish that every time you casted a heal, you automatically dropped cleric stance.

The best thing 4.0 could bring is abolishing cleric stance and just letting WHM/SCH/AST dps abilities function off mind.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have a stupid question. How do you heal? Physically how do you hit the keybinds, I mean.

Like, don't you find yourself wanting more than ten buttons period, even if you're literally never swapping into DPS mode? Admittedly, I've never played healer very intensively, but ten buttons is so few.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

VHGS posted:

Huh. I have no idea why THAT would happen.

If I missed :thejoke: then uh, joke's on me. But yeah. Just change the font or the background :(

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean, i don't understand how you could find reaching across for 6 to be easier than just hitting ctl-2, but different strokes, i suppose

the best advice i can give you in that case is to aggressively cannibalize other keybinds--you need wasd to move around, but you can unbind q, e, z, x, c, r, f, v,~ at the minimum and put those onto other skills. also, if you refuse to use modifier keys, you can just put abilities onto those keys too.

what works for me is to put cleric stance on the middle mouse button, which means i can always hit the command regardless of what else i'm doing on the keyboard. if i was learning scholar again from scratch today, my binds might look something like this:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mordiceius posted:

Ah. Not too crazy as a healer?
If you can heal A11 or A12 and not go insane you can handle SophEX, let alone SophHM. At least in terms of throughput :v:

Mordiceius posted:

NOT AN OF POST:

I really wish I could work out a good flow with cleric stance. I never feel like I have ever since I started playing this game over two years ago, worked out a comfortable way to use cleric stance in combat that allows me to easily switch between DPSing and healing.

Right now, I have all my heals on bar 1 and cleric stance and my DPS abilities on bar 2. When just soloing about, I just swap bar 1 into bar 2, so i can use my 1-10 keybinds for DPSing. But that''s no good when it comes to dungeons as I can't react fast enough.

I don't want to keybind my DPS abilities to CTRL + # because I hate using two button keybinds. This leaves me mostly just clicking abilities while I'm DPSing, which then leaves me unable to quickly react to movement as much.

I'm thinking of dedicating 1-5 to heals and 6-10 to DPS abilities so they're all easy one button keybinds. I really wish the #1 hotbar worked like WoW's rogue/druid stealth hotbar. When you swap into cleric stance, it automatically swaps to another hotbar. I know you can do this through macros, but that method is flawed and can gently caress you.

I also wish that every time you casted a heal, you automatically dropped cleric stance.

The best thing 4.0 could bring is abolishing cleric stance and just letting WHM/SCH/AST dps abilities function off mind.

One of those MMO mice with the 1 through = buttons under the thumb is worth its weight in gold for things like this. On all three healers I have main healing abilities on 1-6, DPS abilities on 7-=, short cooldowns on Ctrl 1-=, Cleric Stance on shift-1, and "oh gently caress" level cooldowns on Shift 2-=. Thanks to the mouse I can reach them all quickly and instinctively after practice, no bar swaps necessary.

But yeah I wouldn't be sad either to see Cleric Stance go away

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Guys, Mordiceius has been bitching about dpsing as a healer in this thread since it's inception. He's kind of a lost cause.

But to add content, if you really can't do ctrl+ buttons, then mix and match heal and DPS spells into 1-5 like I do. #1 on all of my healing classes is my spamming DPS spell (stone 3 / broil / malefic 2), and #2 is always my basic heal spell (cure / physick / benefic).

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
okay, you could hypothetically set up a keybind system for sch without modifiers; here's a completely contrived example but it would probably work:

middle mouse: cleric stance
mouse rockers: swiftcast, lustrate
1-5: bio2 / miasma / bio / aero / shadowflare
q: aetherflow
e: physick
r: adlo
z: energy drain
x: bane
c: sacred soil
tab: deployment tactics
`: move fairy
caps lock: broil
shift: emergency tactics
control: dissipation
alt: sprint
f: eye for an eye
v: virus

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 7, 2016

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
poo poo, i missed rouse and sustain uhhh put fairy stuff on f1-f4?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I just don't think Cleric Stance is a fun ability that adds much to gameplay.

How many times do you all bitch about "Honest Healers"? I'm not one of those and I [i[do[/i] DPS in dungeons/raids (although I know I'm not the most efficient at it).

But getting rid of Cleric Stance and letting healers just cast everything based off Mind would literally make everyone's life better. Cleric Stance makes things less fun, not more.

Stance Dancing should be a thing of the past.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love pushing a huge number of buttons all day.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have a stupid question. How do you heal? Physically how do you hit the keybinds, I mean.

Like, don't you find yourself wanting more than ten buttons period, even if you're literally never swapping into DPS mode? Admittedly, I've never played healer very intensively, but ten buttons is so few.

I have all my heals on like 1-8 or however it shakes up (don't remember the exact numbers). I think I have card abilities on 9 to =. Most of my long cooldown abilities are on bar 3, and I'll just click them when relevant. My DPS abilities are on bar 2. If we're at a point in the fight/dungeon/whatever where there is a lot of downtime, I just drop hotbar 2 ontop of 1 and use keybinds for abilities. if I need to quickly be switching betweens heals/dpsing, I'll just use keybinds for my heals and click the DPS abilities.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If I missed :thejoke: then uh, joke's on me. But yeah. Just change the font or the background :(

Oh, I see now. The text is green there, but it has an outline/shadow. I guess your browser draws it kind of wonky and it overlaps the text, making it look mostly black. It seems visible without it, so I'll just remove the border entirely.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I fuckin' love pushing the buttons to do the abilities, and I use my cooldowns all day just so I can hit the button and watch a thing happen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love pushing a huge number of buttons all day.

If all 4.0 does is add more abilities without reducing what we have, I will legitimately enjoy the game far less.

Most classes have somewhere between 30-35 abilities when you add in cross class skills. Granted, with many classes, a good 5 or so abilities are never used. But for the most part, most classes use majority of their skills frequently.

This is my personal preference, but I would love it if no class had more than 15 or so abilities at any time (before cross class abilities). I feel like when you're getting beyond 20 or 25 abilities, you're just adding complexity for complexities sake and I personally do not find it as fun.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
cleric stance is interesting because of the opportunity cost involved--it makes the healer look ahead ~5s into the fight to confirm that it's ok to dps. it promotes proactive play instead of reactive. square's made a very conscious design decision that you can enter cs at any time but you can't leave it until you've been in it for ~5s. it's interesting.

i say this as a person who's cast more 400 hp adlos than i really want to admit to.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In fact since I'm bored let me see if I can remember my binds for AST off the top of my head

1-=: Benefic, Benefic II, Aspected Benefic, Helios, Aspected Helios, Essential Dignity, Malefic II, Combust, Combust II, Aero, Gravity, Sprint
Ctrl: Draw, Spread, Royal Road, Luminiferous Aether, uh esuna??, Synastry, that single target buff extender, Lightspeed, Collective Unconscious, Celestial Opposition, Blizzard II, Protect
Shift: CS, Shuffle, card-cancel macro, swiftcast, resurrect, that one attack that causes Heavy, Malefic, GOING HAM CHAT MACRO (most important button), Diurnal Stance, Nocturnal Stance, Limit Break

So not remotely as clearly or cleanly organized as I thought but gently caress it muscle memory takes care of it :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

If all 4.0 does is add more abilities without reducing what we have, I will legitimately enjoy the game far less.

Most classes have somewhere between 30-35 abilities when you add in cross class skills. Granted, with many classes, a good 5 or so abilities are never used. But for the most part, most classes use majority of their skills frequently.

This is my personal preference, but I would love it if no class had more than 15 or so abilities at any time (before cross class abilities). I feel like when you're getting beyond 20 or 25 abilities, you're just adding complexity for complexities sake and I personally do not find it as fun.
I don't even give a poo poo about what abilities I use in what order, I just like to see the numbers happen when I push the thing and it sparkles and makes the sounds.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
a summoner player after my own heart

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

a summoner player after my own heart
I like Scholar because healing is fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So I picked the class that never has to do any.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't even give a poo poo about what abilities I use in what order, I just like to see the numbers happen when I push the thing and it sparkles and makes the sounds.
Play black mage, I regularly forget what I'm doing because I am a mothlike creature and am mesmerized by the pretty fire effects

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
please don't black mage is arguably the game's worst class about "cast these spells in a specific order or else you'll lose enochian and your vr helmet will fry your brain and you'll die irl"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ninja is probably the easiest dps to build for, since their skillspeed is already taken care of by Huton? Like it's apparently really bad to have super high SS unlike the other melee classes?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I keep forgetting Palce of the Dead exists, atleast its getting a lot of traffic on Adamantoise

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Mordiceius posted:

NOT AN OF POST:

I was thinking yesterday about tank stances. They're mostly important because in 8-24 man content, you're gonna have one main tank and 1+ off tanks, and that one person is going to need to be able to wrest hate from everyone around them.

Cleric stance doesn't work the same way though, and yeah, I think it's something that should be fixed. I would say remove it from the game and just have all abilities operate on MND instead of having Cleric Stance around to switch MND values to INT. I'm open to ideas on why this would be a bad thing, but right now it seems like Cleric Stance just acts as an artifical gate to switch on and off, which just limits newer players and many pick-ups.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Personally I hate having a million buttons to press because I guarantee you I will forget about all but the top six most commonly used and I will be the laughingstock of the team.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Whats the general streotype for Au Ra players?

F:Anime
M:
Chaulk white skin: Vampirewannabe
Black skin with bonus red highlights:Demonwannabe
Me: 8ft tall Vegeta

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The Grimace posted:

I'm open to ideas on why this would be a bad thing, but right now it seems like Cleric Stance just acts as an artifical gate to switch on and off, which just limits newer players and many pick-ups.

That's my thought on it all. It doesn't feel like Cleric Stance makes more healers dps, it feels like it works as pointless gate to stop new and less skilled people from dpsing

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Unless a game is like WoW currently is with some classes having like 4 buttons to press I don't understand anyone calling for "more buttons!! more abilities!!" when FFXIV already has some ability bloat.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WoL is clearly a Seawolf. :cmon:

Ryanbomber posted:

The Rising Stones is just as complicated of a sub-area and that doesn't stop Mor Dhona from having an Aetherlyte.

Either they thought they obnoxious walk was a good thing or huffed their "this in-game faction needs to be neutral" farts a little too hard.

The Mor Dhona isn't under the Syndicate's control. That's one of the major reasons the Scions leave and head there.

Eopia posted:

Had a chance at 3 lines but I didn't even get two. I think I'm going to end up hating the rng o Wondrous Tails.

My WT at 7 marks:
XOOO
OOOO
XXXX

My WT at 9 marks:
XOOO
OOOO
OXXX
OXXX

At least I had one line. That Demimateria though... :sigh:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

4.0 should cut the amount of abilities we have in half and then give us 4 new abilities.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

UHD posted:

Personally I hate having a million buttons to press because I guarantee you I will forget about all but the top six most commonly used and I will be the laughingstock of the team.

This is me too. I don't know how often I get halfway through the final boss of a dungeon and remember "oh yeah I have virus/e4e/enkindle" and mash all of them pretending I was doing so from the beginning. :downs:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The Grimace posted:

I was thinking yesterday about tank stances. They're mostly important because in 8-24 man content, you're gonna have one main tank and 1+ off tanks, and that one person is going to need to be able to wrest hate from everyone around them.

Cleric stance doesn't work the same way though, and yeah, I think it's something that should be fixed. I would say remove it from the game and just have all abilities operate on MND instead of having Cleric Stance around to switch MND values to INT. I'm open to ideas on why this would be a bad thing, but right now it seems like Cleric Stance just acts as an artifical gate to switch on and off, which just limits newer players and many pick-ups.

People who come from WoW can probably point to specific examples of this, but I do believe it's possible to "over-streamline" a class. Someone above already pointed out that Cleric Stance forces healers to take a more proactively approach to identifying safe times to dps versus times where your tank/party will NEED you to be at full healing capacity. Maybe stance dancing isn't the most ideal way to accomplish this, but from playing all three healers to 60 I can say it's a lot more engaging than "click 1 to heal ally, 2 to boom enemy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

4.0 should cut the amount of abilities we have in half and then give us 4 new abilities.

You still wouldn't be able to DPS as a healer.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I keep forgetting Palce of the Dead exists, atleast its getting a lot of traffic on Adamantoise

Please be excited for the same thing but 4 times longer, coming in 3 weeks.

• Locked thread