Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I liked the idea, especially the twist on the Consulting Detective formula of getting negative points for being foolhardy or otherwise accepting needless risk. But a game like that lives or dies by the quality of the writing (not just technically but also whether the cases are well constructed, etc) and the print and play demo did not impress me much on that front.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the production one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I basically never have luck thrifting board games, but today I got Sushi Roll (https://www.amazon.com/Mindtwister-...roll+board+game) and a very pretty copy of Mhing (https://www.amazon.com/Mhing-Classi...mhing+card+game) for 3 dollars a piece. Both are fairly beat up, but I'm looking forward to playing them at some point.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

I liked the idea, especially the twist on the Consulting Detective formula of getting negative points for being foolhardy or otherwise accepting needless risk. But a game like that lives or dies by the quality of the writing (not just technically but also whether the cases are well constructed, etc) and the print and play demo did not impress me much on that front.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the production one.

My biggest complaint is that the cases are either stupid easy or loving stupid.

Now your mileage may vary since my group spikes the goddamn ball on Sherlock (eight cases into the original with an average score of 105), but the cases in mythos are either so blatantly obvious that a monkey could solve them under score, or they have serious logic jumps akin to the English to French back to English and change the solution bullshit from Sherlock case #3.

It isn't bad if you are hankering for more like Sherlock, or even if you just love Lovecraft, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I just need one person to tell me Seafall is good and worth my time and I'll probably buy it. Pandemic Legacy was so good.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ouch, that's a shame.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Gort posted:

I just need one person to tell me Seafall is good and worth my time and I'll probably buy it. Pandemic Legacy was so good.

I got bad news for you

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gort posted:

SUSD said buy the game, look through all the packaging to see the cool legacy stuff, then seal it up and sell it so you didn't actually have to play it

Better hope gloomhaven is good!

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

MikeCrotch posted:

SUSD said buy the game, look through all the packaging to see the cool legacy stuff, then seal it up and sell it so you didn't actually have to play it

Better hope gloomhaven is good!

My friends played Gloomhaven at Gencon and said it was pretty freaking awesome.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Durendal posted:

My friends played Gloomhaven at Gencon and said it was pretty freaking awesome.

I'd still wait. "Gencon Glow" can be a real problem that impacts one's ability to judge games.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
So good news I guess: FFG is going to publish Siege of the Citadel 2nd Ed which is currently in kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/274643038/siege-of-the-citadel-2nd-edition-techno-fantasy-bo

The Dev list alone gets me wet

The miniatures boardgame set in the Mutant Chronicles Universe, designed by Richard Borg with Eric M Lang & Kevin Wilson Read more

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

the panacea posted:

So good news I guess: FFG is going to publish Siege of the Citadel 2nd Ed which is currently in kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/274643038/siege-of-the-citadel-2nd-edition-techno-fantasy-bo

The Dev list alone gets me wet

The miniatures boardgame set in the Mutant Chronicles Universe, designed by Richard Borg with Eric M Lang & Kevin Wilson Read more

The designers have impressive resumes but that kickstarter project pushes every danger button for me. It is all about more of everything. More miniatures, more designers, more expansions, more more more. But very little gameplay info. A couple of videos at the end of the page with very early components.

Sorry to be a downer, but my kickstarter spidey senses are tingling and not in a good way.

Did anyone here play the original game. Was it any good?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Across those three designers, that's a middling to good reputation. Not really the pedigree to get excited about. Lang has had the most 'hits', but his two best games are basically iterations on the same design (Chaos and Blood Rage)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beffer posted:

The designers have impressive resumes but that kickstarter project pushes every danger button for me. It is all about more of everything. More miniatures, more designers, more expansions, more more more. But very little gameplay info. A couple of videos at the end of the page with very early components.

Sorry to be a downer, but my kickstarter spidey senses are tingling and not in a good way.

The game isn't going to fail to deliver, I don't think. But it may not deliver a good game.

Can anyone actually think of a good game with more than two designers, by the way? Exclude "base design" credits for reworks, like Legendary Encounters.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The only games with three listed designers that I have are Rococo and Warhammer Diskwars, which are both good. Warhammer Diskwars lists two of the designers of the original Diskwars, but maybe they're still at FFG.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Wizard Styles posted:

The only games with three listed designers that I have are Rococo and Warhammer Diskwars, which are both good. Warhammer Diskwars lists two of the designers of the original Diskwars, but maybe they're still at FFG.

Yeah, well, Petersen is FFG's CEO. Still, I think it's original's designers for legacy reasons + Litzsinger doing the actual work.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Gort posted:

My group is still enjoying the hell out of it at our leisurely pace of one game every two weeks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How's Mayfair's support? My agricola box was short a purple stable.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

If I'm thinking of getting into Eminent Domain, what expansions should I buy?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Tekopo posted:

If I'm thinking of getting into Eminent Domain, what expansions should I buy?

Escalation is a must.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The End posted:

Escalation is a must.
Anything else or is it just Escalation that is a must?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Anything else or is it just Escalation that is a must?

The only other expansion is Exotica. I haven't played it, but I don't feel the lack.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When I searched, there seemed to also be 'Battlecruisers' and 'Microcosm'. Are those mini-expansions that don't provide as much as Escalation/Exotica?

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, answered my own question, they are stand-alone games and not actually Eminent Domain!

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

CommonShore posted:

How's Mayfair's support? My agricola box was short a purple stable.

My dog chewed up the purple family. I emailed Mayfair and they sent replacements right away and with no fuss at all. Very satisfied.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

There's a new Premium Edition of Love Letter being released at the end of the year. It looks like they're adding a bunch of new card effects, making the cards tarot sized (I like the fact that they're including tarot sized sleeves with the game), and expanding support for up to 8 players.

https://www.alderac.com/loveletter/products/love-letter-premium/

I like Love Letter for what it is, a simple little filler game that's easy, accessible, and inexpensive. I don't know if it really needed to be expanded upon.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kamikaze Raider posted:

There's a new Premium Edition of Love Letter being released at the end of the year. It looks like they're adding a bunch of new card effects, making the cards tarot sized (I like the fact that they're including tarot sized sleeves with the game), and expanding support for up to 8 players.

I like Love Letter for what it is, a simple little filler game that's easy, accessible, and inexpensive. I don't know if it really needed to be expanded upon.
I really dislike how that website is formatted.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mayfair says my new purple stable is in the mail

:woop:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I really like that assassin card.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I really dislike how that website is formatted.

It's the most generic Squarespace template. It's the white text on black background with <frames> that was late 90s web design.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Beffer posted:

Did anyone here play the original game. Was it any good?

I played the original when it came out and I liked it, but only one of my friends liked it enough to play it with me. I am not sure I would like it as much today but at the time there was very little like it. I ended up selling it to that friend. It became one of his all time favorite games and now he is on the team doing this new version. I hope you enjoyed my story of vague connection to one of the many games on Kickstarter.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Speaking of Eminent Domain does anyone have a preferred tech tree printout for teaching the game? Technologies are the biggest hurdle there since it's not obvious how they work together at first glance

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kamikaze Raider posted:

The main complaint we've had with Love Letter is that it only holds four. You could in theory kludge something together around using two sets of cards, but it would be very slow - twice as long per round, twice as slow to eliminate possibilities and potentially twice as many rounds. Adding some new, more interactive abilities that can also cause more than one token to be gained each round is a better route.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Speaking of Eminent Domain does anyone have a preferred tech tree printout for teaching the game? Technologies are the biggest hurdle there since it's not obvious how they work together at first glance

I just made copies of the back of the manual.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Should I play eminent domain by itself first or just go for the expansion?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anybody who played High Frontier is it possible to run out of prospecting sights in the base game? I think there are 7 locations with automatic success so technically the answer would be "no" even in a 5 player game but majority of the sights require a roll of a 1 on a 1d6 which seems absurd. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this game is supposed to flow.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rumda posted:

Should I play eminent domain by itself first or just go for the expansion?

I would buy them together and play a game or two of base first just to get a handle on it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Re. New mutant chronicles, the old was good for its day but is pretty dated now compared to earth reborn, imperial assault and descent with the app.

Hopefully they make a bunch of improvements but its coming into a pretty crowded genre and will need to be something special to stand out

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MikeCrotch posted:

Re. New mutant chronicles, the old was good for its day but is pretty dated now compared to earth reborn, imperial assault and descent with the app.

Hopefully they make a bunch of improvements but its coming into a pretty crowded genre and will need to be something special to stand out

The RPG is good. Not good enough for me to fund the KS for the RPG-companion stuff, but solid.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

al-azad posted:

Anybody who played High Frontier is it possible to run out of prospecting sights in the base game? I think there are 7 locations with automatic success so technically the answer would be "no" even in a 5 player game but majority of the sights require a roll of a 1 on a 1d6 which seems absurd. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this game is supposed to flow.

The few games I've played, most people try to be the first to get factories on the Moon, Mars, Ceres, and maybe Mercury or Venus. If you miss out on the first three and don't want to fight over the Mars sites, you can go prospecting or try for a science site. After that, you're usually trying to get a ship with advanced modules together to either send a crew for a colony or go for the 2nd factory to progress the game. Been a while since I've played the base game, are there achievements for getting a crew to X and bringing them back safe? That's another common thing, especially once you have an efficient engine.

Really though, the game end can come as a surprise if you're not paying attention to everyone else. You'll be plotting your own missions and suddenly enough people drop factories to finish it.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

The best thing about Love Letter is that you can easily learn all the cards and make deductions about what your opponent might have. Adding a bunch of new cards mucks that up. The new cards look like they will push it more towards Fluxx-style lolrandom bullshit.

But then again I've only ever played Love Letter 2p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Sailor Viy posted:

The best thing about Love Letter is that you can easily learn all the cards and make deductions about what your opponent might have. Adding a bunch of new cards mucks that up. The new cards look like they will push it more towards Fluxx-style lolrandom bullshit.

But then again I've only ever played Love Letter 2p.

The Lost Legacy games, which were effectively Love Letter expansions, were really bad. Love Letter is a super simple game obviously, but you appreciate some of its design decisions more once you how it can completely fall apart.