Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

just don't even bother trying to do oop poo poo in javascript hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HoboMan posted:

i think you'll find java is right in the name so bloated piles of boilerplate classes are implied

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

if your third party library doesn't provide .d.ts files then it's probably scrub tier poo poo that you should avoid anyway hth

I did have the d.ts files. I'm done with it for now, already half done with my lovely pjavascript code.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HoboMan posted:

im not sure if were expected to or not. this portion of the class is called "javascript basics", but the framework is asp.net with c# as the code behind so i cant imagine wed be using js for much more than client-side data validation and some dynamic ui poo poo.

they waste a whole bunch of time talking about how we create namespaces by making objects that just house objects and functions and poo poo, which worries me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I prefer d.va files

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

im not sure if were expected to or not. this portion of the class is called "javascript basics", but the framework is asp.net with c# as the code behind so i cant imagine wed be using js for much more than client-side data validation and some dynamic ui poo poo.

they waste a whole bunch of time talking about how we create namespaces by making objects that just house objects and functions and poo poo, which worries me.

Your use of the term "code behind" is worrying. Sounds like they are only teaching you Web Forms. Do not use Web Forms full stop. Use ASP.NET MVC and Web API (if you need some web services).

What you're describing about the objects is how you do namespaces in pjavascript before the more recent ecmascript standards. It's fine, really. I would follow that standard otherwise you have all these functions and variables on the global namespace and you can inadvertently clobber built-in functions or even your own (more likely).

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 7, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

I prefer d.va files

:same:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

jony neuemonic posted:

a friend of mine is doing a programming bootcamp right now, using javascript. trying to answer their questions is really making me appreciate how wacky javascript is.

i pity them

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

oh god triggered my ptsd from trying to learn React a few months ago

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah i thought i might try some dynamic java-scripty front end for something i was working on last year and started from knowledge of such things in 2013

i discovered everything i knew was broken and/or abandoned

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

this is too accurate to be funny

also i just remembered i promised drag-and-drop on one of our pages :suicide:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Finster Dexter posted:

Your use of the term "code behind" is worrying. Sounds like they are only teaching you Web Forms. Do not use Web Forms full stop. Use ASP.NET MVC and Web API (if you need some web services).

um... i dont have a choice? our client framework is asp.net with web forms. that is what we use. so that is what the training is oriented around.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

That was 100% worth reading to the end.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

um... i dont have a choice? our client framework is asp.net with web forms. that is what we use. so that is what the training is oriented around.

Yeah, same here. That sucks then. Just try not to put too much business logic into the code behinds. Devs who come in later will thank you.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, same here. That sucks then. Just try not to put too much business logic into the code behinds. Devs who come in later will thank you.

heh hahahaha AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA :unsmigghh:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Finster Dexter posted:

well, the tradeoff to make is that the other place business logic can execute is the caché server which would require that you serialize any data it would need, send it to the server as strings in an rpc, gently caress with the data, then send it back as strings with the rpc, parse and do whatever with it in the c# web server, then pass that back to the client. so, u know, slow as poo poo and frankly a lot of the logic is probably easier to do efficiently in c# than it is in mumps.

its fuckin dumb dude.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Finster Dexter posted:

What do you mean by "natural keys"?

if you have a row with a stable column (or combination of columns) that uniquely identifies the row you don't need a synthetic key. just use that as the key

like if your database deals with transaction ids, just use the transaction id as the key. or if you are dealing with account ids, use that

note that if you can edit the column, it's not a great candidate key as you'll have to update it everywhere it appears. so don't use email addresses or account usernames if you let users edit them. use a surrogate key in those cases

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

in javascript, every single idiot thing is an object, or two objects in a trenchcoat. if it's a noun, it's an object.

this is good, because you can do tricky and clever things if everything is data

but it's bad, because you can do tricky and clever things if everything is data

EDIT: js has only the most notional idea of how OOP is supposed to work. "objects, got it"

EDIT EDIT: vvvv "yeah, totally cool, you do you, man. you do that. you do it recursively, never stop"

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 7, 2016

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

"yospos".constructor.constructor("console.log('bithc');")();

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

well, the tradeoff to make is that the other place business logic can execute is the caché server which would require that you serialize any data it would need, send it to the server as strings in an rpc, gently caress with the data, then send it back as strings with the rpc, parse and do whatever with it in the c# web server, then pass that back to the client. so, u know, slow as poo poo and frankly a lot of the logic is probably easier to do efficiently in c# than it is in mumps.

its fuckin dumb dude.

You should still, at the least, be able to create some folder structure with business logic classes in them. Even that will go a long way. Just don't fill up the aspx.cs files with all that garbage. I almost weep every time I open up one of ours.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

all i know about javascript is if i need some i go on snackoverflow and find something close and then head over to jsfiddle or bootply and change stuff until it works

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Finster Dexter posted:

You should still, at the least, be able to create some folder structure with business logic classes in them. Even that will go a long way. Just don't fill up the aspx.cs files with all that garbage. I almost weep every time I open up one of ours.

oh yeah we definitely do that. our old vb6 code intermingles the business logic into .ctl files way too much. we're trying to be very strict about encapsulating business stuff into classes specifically for that purpose.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

:same:

just do what i was thinking of doing with our code and implement you own jank MVC. the code behind is just for passing objects and data around AND NOTHING ELSE. call functions that exist in or on other things to actually logic them up

e: perhaps i should reload the page before posting

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

i think you'll find java is right in the name so bloated piles of boilerplate classes are implied

java has significantly less boilerplate involved in OOP than javascript by a significant margin. i don't even know what the "right" way of doing OOP in javascript is these days, but a quick googling suggests it's still insane.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

javascript is a functional language, duh

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

pointsofdata posted:

javascript is a non-functioning language, duh

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pointsofdata posted:

javascript is a functional language, duh

barely!!!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

.net core might be a bunch of janky, half-working nonsense but at least no one can sneak loving web forms in there on me.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

jony neuemonic posted:

.net core might be a bunch of janky, half-working nonsense but at least no one can sneak loving web forms in there on me.

:agreed:

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
js is kewl, whiners. in that everyone hates it so much there's so many god damned jobs around here. it's got the biggest rift b/w poo poo and good programmers you get treated like a god in interviews

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HoboMan posted:

altho I got denied in an interview becuase I didn't (pointlessly) oop my js. bad company

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Flat Daddy posted:

js is kewl, whiners. in that everyone hates it so much there's so many god damned jobs around here. it's got the biggest rift b/w poo poo and good programmers you get treated like a god in interviews

yeah but then you have to work with pjavascript all day every day

NO THANKS

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
javascript is the comic sans of programming languages

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaman Linavi posted:

all i know about javascript is if i need some i go on snackoverflow and find something close and then head over to jsfiddle or bootply and change stuff until it works

btw this is most people's experience and then they bloo bloo about how javascript is a terrible language when the copy paste job they cobbled together breaks down in production.

javascript has its warts but it is, by no means, the worst of the plangs. not by far, imo

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

qntm posted:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i loving hate software "engineers" so much. there's currently a conversation in the newbie thread in coc about coming in late and how people get annoyed at them and why shouldn't they be able to waltz in at noon?

loving man-children with a god complex each and every one of them

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

qntm posted:

closer to times new roman

ubiquitous, boring, and ugly compared to actual good fonts. ruby is truly the comic sans of programming languages. it's a garbage fire of tiny little garbage fires and i loving hate it

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Blinkz0rz posted:

i loving hate software "engineers" so much. there's currently a conversation in the newbie thread in coc about coming in late and how people get annoyed at them and why shouldn't they be able to waltz in at noon?

loving man-children with a god complex each and every one of them

I love using .NET and c# at work but I kind of hate the CoC .NET thread.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

I love using .NET and c# at work but I kind of hate the CoC .NET thread.

i post there on occasion but i honestly prefer just coming in here and lighting the shaggar signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Blinkz0rz posted:

closer to times new roman

ubiquitous, boring, and ugly compared to actual good fonts. ruby is truly the comic sans of programming languages. it's a garbage fire of tiny little garbage fires and i loving hate it

comic sans was designed by an expert

• Locked thread