Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Please be excited for the same thing but 4 times longer, coming in 3 weeks.

{I'm looking forward to it!}

PotD really burned me that I basically benched the game until this new patch came out. I can't imagine them expanding it can be any amount of fun, cause you're running effectively the same thing (kill x amount of mobs in a random dungeon layout) except for the early floors you're at least leveling your class and stuff, but now you're already 60 and just going through the same poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i actually kind of think that potd would solve an interesting problem--that being that people have no idea what their chosen class plays like at 60, and only find out 30 hours later that blood of the dragon/enochian/greased lightning/whatever makes them want to blow their brains out. the problem is that potd combat is so nonrepresentative of actual combat that it doesn't really provide any useful information.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leal posted:

{I'm looking forward to it!}

PotD really burned me that I basically benched the game until this new patch came out. I can't imagine them expanding it can be any amount of fun, cause you're running effectively the same thing (kill x amount of mobs in a random dungeon layout) except for the early floors you're at least leveling your class and stuff, but now you're already 60 and just going through the same poo poo.

From the rumors it sounds like 51 to 100 it'll be more of the same but 101 to 200 are more tuned for raid level difficulty, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm hoping any new abilities in 4.0 are passives. Maybe even passives you can choose from! But given the history of that sort of thing in MMOs it'd probably just be a fake choice anyway.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Reiterpallasch posted:

i say this as a person who's cast more 400 hp adlos than i really want to admit to.

Anyone who says they haven't is lying through their teeth.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Obligatum VII posted:

Anyone who says they haven't is lying through their teeth.

I got a 1500 Essential Dignity crit once :unsmith:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
actually, in the hopeless hope that maybe it'll help someone and also because i'm really bored, here's my opinion on where all the dps classes are right now, just in terms of playstyle/fun, not usefulness

BLM:
+ "You use Fire IV! Critical! 22104 damage!", only having one possible non-stupid button to press at any given time is kind of liberating in a deranged sort of way
- like any other endangered mammal, a blm is a majestic but fragile beast who cannot be moved, disturbed, distracted, or blown upon without immediately dying

SMN:
+ chillest class imaginable, you just roll dots and use a satellite cannon. easiest class by far to get 80% of your theoretical dps out of. king poo poo of dungeon aoe. you get a free healer for leveling one.
- all 58 levels before you get satellite cannon mode are beyond boring. pet mechanic disappointingly underutilized. last 20% of theoretical dps requires watching more timers than the goddamn rain man.

MNK
+ you do insane single target damage, your playstyle is very fluid and you have multiple usable punches at any time. lots of player agency.
- fast-paced stack system makes boss invulnerability especially annoying, other dps constantly bitching at you to play drg instead.

DRG
+ powerful buffs to your other dps, meaty-feeling combos, has all the good cross-class skills for other physical dps so you'll level it anyway
- leveling experience beyond miserable, almost no flexibility in rotation, your jump skills have hilarious animation locking

NIN
+ able to boost entire party's damage with trick attack, very straightforward rotation that still has some slack, able to get annoying pub healers killed almost at will
- completely ridiculous buttons-pushed-per-second baseline makes this a poor fit for clumsy people like me, dumb running animation, people whine at you over trick attack timing

BRD
+ extremely fluid and easy rotation, with low penalties for messing up. songs make you extremely valuable. 95% of bards are godawful anyway so you can stand out with ease.
- unconscionable bait-and-switch at level 54 suddenly puts cast bars on everything, cons[BLOODLETTER]tantly [BLOODLETTER] wat[BLOODLETTER]chi[BLOODLETTER]ng hotbars for [BLOODLETTER] procs

MCH
+ a really good mch is basically the rarest of pokemon; even a kind of mediocre mch is popular beyond a melee's wildest dreams
- there's a reason for this: you need to press approximately 62 buttons in a 15 second span to do wildfire right or you lose a huge chunk of damage and turn into a corncob. same bait and switch as brd.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Thundarr posted:

From the rumors it sounds like 51 to 100 it'll be more of the same but 101 to 200 are more tuned for raid level difficulty, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm hoping any new abilities in 4.0 are passives. Maybe even passives you can choose from! But given the history of that sort of thing in MMOs it'd probably just be a fake choice anyway.

Wait, POTD 101+ are going to be for raids? What?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Reiterpallasch posted:

MCH
+ a really good mch is basically the rarest of pokemon; even a kind of mediocre mch is popular beyond a melee's wildest dreams
- there's a reason for this: you need to press approximately 62 buttons in a 15 second span to do wildfire right or you lose a huge chunk of damage and turn into a corncob. same bait and switch as brd.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

BRD
+ extremely fluid and easy rotation, with low penalties for messing up. songs make you extremely valuable. 95% of bards are godawful anyway so you can stand out with ease.
- unconscionable bait-and-switch at level 54 suddenly puts cast bars on everything, cons[BLOODLETTER]tantly [BLOODLETTER] wat[BLOODLETTER]chi[BLOODLETTER]ng hotbars for [BLOODLETTER] procs

This actually made me upset when I was leveling bard - after BLM, the extreme mobility was a breath of fresh air. And that's probably the reason why it was taken out back and shot.

I still prefer BRD over BLM though.

This tweet will never not be funny.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Mordiceius posted:

4.0 should cut the amount of abilities we have in half and then give us 4 new abilities.

Monk has the right amount of buttons, except form shift and one ilm punch which can go.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

UHD posted:

I love that corncobbing has become a minor part of the vernacular, yeah

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Verranicus posted:

Wait, POTD 101+ are going to be for raids? What?

I believe yoship said in a letter or interview that the latter floors were meant to be really, really hard.

Liver Disaster posted:

Monk has the right amount of buttons, except form shift and one ilm punch which can go.

One ilm punch, sure. But saying form shift can go is like the platonic ideal of a bad opinion.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

UHD posted:

This actually made me upset when I was leveling bard - after BLM, the extreme mobility was a breath of fresh air. And that's probably the reason why it was taken out back and shot.

I still prefer BRD over BLM though.

60 bard feels AWFUL compared to 50 bard and all of mch, I was super disappointed.

The best dril tweet will always be the goodyear blimp one though

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Liver Disaster posted:

:catstare: excuse me???

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
1 ilm punch can kill a lot of boss stoneskins.

Feint, otoh, is completely useless.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Thundarr posted:

One ilm punch, sure. But saying form shift can go is like the platonic ideal of a bad opinion.

I think about working it in during the one time every month or two that another dps is outrunning me, but I get to monk tank enough as it is I don't need more dps until I get into a static.
Learn when you have to, be lazy the rest of the time.

TomVanDam
Apr 25, 2010
So I picked this thing up for 10 quid on the ps store sale. I played a whole bunch of wow back in the day, will I have too hard a time getting to grips with it all and how does the game pad stack up to mouse and keyboard?

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Except for elves.

MFW I hear a wrong opinion.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TomVanDam posted:

So I picked this thing up for 10 quid on the ps store sale. I played a whole bunch of wow back in the day, will I have too hard a time getting to grips with it all and how does the game pad stack up to mouse and keyboard?
The gamepad controls are very good, I have never felt compelled to play this game on a keyboard, even on PC.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Liver Disaster posted:

I think about working it in during the one time every month or two that another dps is outrunning me, but I get to monk tank enough as it is I don't need more dps until I get into a static.
Learn when you have to, be lazy the rest of the time.

So you don't actually know what that button does. There is no "working it in" to a rotation.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

SperginMcBadposter posted:

So you don't actually know what that button does. There is no "working it in" to a rotation.

I spent more effort typing this out than I'm willing to put in to push another button in my opener.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

terrified of my bathroom posted:

60 bard feels AWFUL compared to 50 bard and all of mch, I was super disappointed.

The best dril tweet will always be the goodyear blimp one though

Wrong. Best dril tweet is about candles.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Liver Disaster posted:

I spent more effort typing this out than I'm willing to put in to push another button in my opener.
You literally don't use Form Shift in your opener, it's used before the pull

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You literally don't use Form Shift in your opener, it's used before the pull

The fight beginning phase of my button pushing, you know, the starter.

Spoz
May 25, 2006

Liver Disaster posted:

"I don't actually care about getting better/being good"

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

terrified of my bathroom posted:

I've been working on Bard again after messing around with some other DPS classes solely due to the dumbass switch to full caster in the 50s. It removes like 80% of the fun of the class and you don't even really get anything interesting out of it. I'm hoping 4.0 gets rid of that, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

Luckily, now that I've gotten some gear on it, at least it's still pretty drat easy for an idiot like me to play.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Form shift is for actual effort openers, but far more important is using it to make sure you don't drop your drat stacks during the twenty thousand times that bosses in this game make you stop attacking them.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Asimo posted:

I've been working on Bard again after messing around with some other DPS classes solely due to the dumbass switch to full caster in the 50s. It removes like 80% of the fun of the class and you don't even really get anything interesting out of it. I'm hoping 4.0 gets rid of that, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

Luckily, now that I've gotten some gear on it, at least it's still pretty drat easy for an idiot like me to play.

I'll honestly never get this line of thought. What does Wanderers Minuet exactly remove? Running around when nothings going on? It's also completely OK to drop out of it when you need to move for a mechanic and still put out some DPS, which you'll land auto attacks at a target behind you now while doing. Or just use Feint and get the damage bonus without the cast time. Even with it up, the 3/5s cast time(which is mechanically closer to 2/5s vs the GCD) still leaves Bard as highly mobile ranged DPS.

Bard has more important weird issues than Minuet. Songs should be cancellable off GCD for one.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 7, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TomVanDam posted:

You'll probably slide right in, though the first while might be a bit boring because it's designed to teach idiots like me that hadn't played an MMO outside of PSO everything. Gamepad is insanely good but if you're on PS4 you can plug in a keyboard and mouse and switch to standard hotbars if you want to.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

cleric stance is interesting because of the opportunity cost involved--it makes the healer look ahead ~5s into the fight to confirm that it's ok to dps. it promotes proactive play instead of reactive. square's made a very conscious design decision that you can enter cs at any time but you can't leave it until you've been in it for ~5s. it's interesting.

i say this as a person who's cast more 400 hp adlos than i really want to admit to.

No joke, I love healing in FFXIV because of cleric stance and how damage bursts are more manageable than other MMOs. I tried healing in WoW and its always a constant stream of "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo" that I feel like I cant do anything but heal despite what they did this last expansion with making dpsing much easier.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

VHGS posted:

Oh, I see now. The text is green there, but it has an outline/shadow. I guess your browser draws it kind of wonky and it overlaps the text, making it look mostly black. It seems visible without it, so I'll just remove the border entirely.
Yeah, it looks way better with the combination of "on home computer so work-manded Firefox settings are not awful" and "you made the border go away so it's bright green and visible now"

e: COMPLETELY UNRELATED: someone summarize this "Spell Speed Breakpoint" thing for me, a BLM. Are the 1019 and 1072 values on Sheet 2 of the spreadsheet the breakpoints to hit?

TomVanDam
Apr 25, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

You'll probably slide right in, though the first while might be a bit boring because it's designed to teach idiots like me that hadn't played an MMO outside of PSO everything. Gamepad is insanely good but if you're on PS4 you can plug in a keyboard and mouse and switch to standard hotbars if you want to.

Cool, my downloads almost done so I'll find out soon enough, thanks!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah, one class in particular (lancer) has, for a significant chunk of its leveling experience, a rotation that consists of only one button

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Skaw posted:

I'll honestly never get this line of thought. What does Wanderers Minuet exactly remove? Running around when nothings going on? It's also completely OK to drop out of it when you need to move for a mechanic and still put out some DPS, which you'll land auto attacks at a target behind you now while doing. Or just use Feint and get the damage bonus without the cast time. Even with it up, the 3/5s cast time(which is mechanically closer to 2/5s vs the GCD) still leaves Bard as highly mobile ranged DPS.

Bard has more important weird issues than Minuet. Songs should be cancellable off GCD for one.
If you don't understand that "can move around at will whenever with no penalty" is more fun than "have to stand still to do anything" I'm not really sure what to tell you? :shrug: And yes, sure, you can toggle it on and off but that's a few extra button presses and you're losing a noticeable amount of damage while it's off, both due to the buff itself and the attacks you lose access to.

That and spending 50 levels with freedom of movement to suddenly becoming a full caster is dumb as poo poo from a design and player satisfaction perspective. If I wanted to play a caster I would have just rolled black mage or summoner at the start, the only reason I went with archer as the first clas was because it felt a lot nicer to play.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Asimo posted:

If you don't understand that "can move around at will whenever with no penalty" is more fun than "have to stand still to do anything" I'm not really sure what to tell you? :shrug: And yes, sure, you can toggle it on and off but that's a few extra button presses and you're losing a noticeable amount of damage while it's off, both due to the buff itself and the attacks you lose access to.

That and spending 50 levels with freedom of movement to suddenly becoming a full caster is dumb as poo poo from a design and player satisfaction perspective. If I wanted to play a caster I would have just rolled black mage or summoner at the start, the only reason I went with archer as the first clas was because it felt a lot nicer to play.

You're not losing damage from turning Wanderer's off while moving for a mechanic. It's literally the opposite effect. You're not getting the 30% bonus, but doing any damage is significantly more than doing zero. There's Feint available to you as well if you don't want to drop stance. You can also still very much move around at will with it up. Cast times are not the entire GCD.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 8, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also regarding the politics thing with the Scions and their move from Vesper Bay to Revenant's Toll, politics in Revenant's basically boils down to 'Scions helped build this place up and don't gently caress with Rowena.'

Reiterpallasch posted:

yeah, one class in particular (lancer) has, for a significant chunk of its leveling experience, a rotation that consists of only one button

20 potency is not worth your sanity, it is ok to hit more than one button.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 8, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Skaw posted:

You're not losing damage from turning Wanderer's off while moving for a mechanic. It's literally the opposite effect. You're not getting the 30% bonus, but doing any damage is significantly more than doing zero. There's Feint available to you as well if you don't want to drop stance. You can also still very much move around at will with it up. Cast times are not the entire GCD.
Yes, but you're missing that the point is that it feels less enjoyable. To me, personally. And to many other people judging from the usual responses I've seen about it. If it is less enjoyable then I would prefer to enjoy it more and would like to be different, like when I was enjoying it previously. Something can be perfectly mechanically effective and not be fun. :what:

EponymousMrYar posted:

20 potency is not worth your sanity, it is ok to hit more than one button.
Even if you go out of your way to do other stuff you still wind up using like... what, two or three buttons tops before 30ish? Not that a lot of classes are all that complex early on, but Lancer's kind of a standout there and getting it up to 34 was spectacularly tedious.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Skaw posted:

dropping minuet in many circumstances means not being able to iron jaws, which is such an unimaginably huge dps loss that you're honestly better off doing 0 damage on another gcd if you have to

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also brd play requires juggling minuet on/off during your opener just as a matter of course, which is hilariously dickish design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pros of ninja:
-DPS is usually just reapplying dots and huton. It's pretty freeform on dps outside of that whenever your cooldowns become available.
-You barely change game styles. Huton is the only real gamechanger past 50, otherwise you get more ocd moves to spam.

Cons:
-I don't like the bat outfit for PVP I guess
-Eats up TP like hell, cross-class for TP Restoration once you get Huton.

• Locked thread