Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've been reading the crash test thread, so now I'm ready to get a proper pair of boots. Looks like the A* SMX-5 boots are gone (at least in my size), are the SMX-6 the new hive mind boot? Just looking for something under $300, and I don't really care about walking in them. I wouldn't mind a non-A* boot since their sizes correspond to 12.5 and 13.5, and I'm a 13 (US).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I've been reading the crash test thread, so now I'm ready to get a proper pair of boots. Looks like the A* SMX-5 boots are gone (at least in my size), are the SMX-6 the new hive mind boot? Just looking for something under $300, and I don't really care about walking in them. I wouldn't mind a non-A* boot since their sizes correspond to 12.5 and 13.5, and I'm a 13 (US).

I wear a 13 as well, and 13 Sidi Vertigos are my jam. They're comfy to walk in to boot (no pun intended).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's worth noting that Sidis are narrow in the toe box, or at least that was my experience with them :(

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'll try to go check them out, my feet fit fine in most shoes, but I had a hard time finding dress shoes that didn't cramp my toe. I wonder what the chances are of Cycle Gear having them in stock in 13?

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I'm looking for a riding shoe/boot that isn't flashy but is good protection for the money.

How is the TCX X-Street Waterproof Shoe? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, are Corazzo Cordero Gloves pretty hand death or are they actually good gloves? I have armored Bilt gloves that hurt like crazy and I'm tired of hurting my hands when I ride.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Anyone have an Icon Airframe Pro helmet? Last new helmet I bought was a Shoe RF1100, Icon still kinda had a reputation for making poser bullshit that they appear to have moved beyond now. Need a helmet for a long oval head and although I love the fit on Arai the cost is really loving high, I hate the shield mechanism, and I'm not a fan of the looks on their street helmets

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

McStephenson posted:

I'm looking for a riding shoe/boot that isn't flashy but is good protection for the money.

Also, are Corazzo Cordero Gloves pretty hand death or are they actually good gloves? I have armored Bilt gloves that hurt like crazy and I'm tired of hurting my hands when I ride.

If the footwear isn't high enough and stiff enough to cover and protect your ankles, they're worthless. And those look like gardening gloves, not actual protection.

Stop being hipster trash, embrace the spacelord look.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

McStephenson posted:

Having used the previous iteration of the TCX shoe, I can tell you that while it is waterproof, because it's so short, it's gonna essentially just pour water down into the shoe if you get splashed while you're riding. I don't recommend them, either, because they just don't have good ankle protection.

I get wanting a certain aesthetic, but if you actually want to stay dry, you're gonna have to suck it up and get the "ugly" gear.

TCX makes some great tall boots (adventure stuff, with Gore-Tex) that I've worn for 2 winters now, and they're fabulous. Good shin and ankle protection, my feet have never gotten wet, and I even wear them in the summer.

What size glove do you wear? I have a pair I'd be glad to send you if they'd fit. They're waterproof enough for most folks (not me, because my rides are usually at least 45+ minutes in the rain), so they might work for you if you're just trying to save money.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

If the footwear isn't high enough and stiff enough to cover and protect your ankles, they're worthless. And those look like gardening gloves, not actual protection.

Those look like they actually *do* have ankle protection - my Dainese street boots are similar design (if a little beefier-looking) and provide a lot of lateral stiffness for the ankle. However they're also, weirdly, considerably less comfortable to walk in than full-length boots, because they don't flex longitudinally more than enough to change gears.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

HotCanadianChick posted:

As a huge pile of steaming hipster trash, I looked these up to see what they look like and this is a picture I found

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is about the most completely descriptive picture of who those vehicles are for that I've ever seen.

McStephenson posted:

Forma's and chill.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-adventure-low-boots

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Don't forget the folks who buy the touring versions of those things that would have bought a Goldwing or full dresser HD but don't feel comfortable riding something with only two wheels

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Lynza posted:

Having used the previous iteration of the TCX shoe, I can tell you that while it is waterproof, because it's so short, it's gonna essentially just pour water down into the shoe if you get splashed while you're riding. I don't recommend them, either, because they just don't have good ankle protection.

I get wanting a certain aesthetic, but if you actually want to stay dry, you're gonna have to suck it up and get the "ugly" gear.

TCX makes some great tall boots (adventure stuff, with Gore-Tex) that I've worn for 2 winters now, and they're fabulous. Good shin and ankle protection, my feet have never gotten wet, and I even wear them in the summer.

What size glove do you wear? I have a pair I'd be glad to send you if they'd fit. They're waterproof enough for most folks (not me, because my rides are usually at least 45+ minutes in the rain), so they might work for you if you're just trying to save money.

I wear Large size gloves: I really appreciate you being willing to send me a pair to try!

HotCanadianChick posted:

I know I'm the worst for wanting things without tons of extra poo poo/designs on it but I also want good protection- I wear a full shoei helmet instead of a lovely 3/4 deal with a bubblevisor like I would want but I value my jaw.

I'm trying to make it werk :cmon:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
So, In that case, what do you have against the forma's? I'd also recommend the revit cayanne or other styles, since they offer things in earth tones and have more "authentic" designs, while still being top rated gloves.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Coydog posted:

"authentic"

Not gonna lie, when I got to this part of your post, I felt a little vomit come up in the back of my throat.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Not gonna lie, when I got to this part of your post, I felt a little vomit come up in the back of my throat.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

McStephenson posted:

I wear Large size gloves: I really appreciate you being willing to send me a pair to try!

I know I'm the worst for wanting things without tons of extra poo poo/designs on it but I also want good protection- I wear a full shoei helmet instead of a lovely 3/4 deal with a bubblevisor like I would want but I value my jaw.

Formas, man. I broke down and bought a pair and they're visually low impact. I wear them through 16 hour shifts in a hospital with no issues.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

McStephenson posted:

Protect your feet too. What if you meet a vegan beauty with a foot fetish?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HotCanadianChick posted:

*Always-on nanorecorders point into a dimly lit Transport Storage Cube. A young man can be seen using a hacksaw to remove the fairings from a pristine condition f4i. An earnest and forward narrator breaks into the spectacle with an air of wisdom and experience.*

"My father died tragicly just before I was born, taken in the prime of his youth when an 80 mph stoppie went wrong. Happened right there in the old McDonalds parking lot. All I have of him is pictures, memories, tales told to me by those of his fellow riders who still survive. I began this project in order to capture a piece of my heritage, a bit of the father I never knew, and to relive a time when motorcycles were real, and authentic. I'm glad to bring you along, to have you take part in this scrapbook I call my journey of manhood.

I hold in my hands a bit of history, from when motorcycle gear was real, like a knights armor, and not the energy field quackery of today. My father's remaining old revit cayanne glove, found 70 ft from where he last sat astride a powerful machine. The hard plastic on the top of the hand was called a knuckle slider. You can see here they are worn down. Bikers of the era clearly did this to reduce wind resistance and increase speed. I managed to find one last remaining pair at a flea market, in perfect condition, that I ground down in the same manner. The smell, as I was enveloped in the smoke of burning plastic, was like being wrapped in the fog of history.

Here, too, another gem of history. An old icon helmet from 2004, 23 years old now, yet still as protective as the smoke and mirrors headgear of today. As my father, and the real riders of their era did, this helmet never leaves it's ornamental spot hooked to the tail of the bike. They still haven't learned what was discovered in times gone by; helmets kill, sure as a snakebite.

By some stroke of luck, I found the perfect base for my journey, both literal and metaphorical. A pristine and well cared for 2006 GSXR 1000. Made by honda, I believe, under their performance group 'Suzuki'. Truly a diamond in the rough. In the coming weeks I'll set about converting it to it's true form. In times gone by, the riders had to make bikes fast and agile on their own, with grime under their nails, and sweat on their brow. I intend to follow this tradition by creating the fabled "streetfighter", and going on a journey in homage to my lost father figure."

*nanorecorders pan and zoom on footage of the hacksaw's haggard cuts through mirror smooth paint, eventually leaving mere bits of plastic attached to fairing mount screws. A shower of sparks flys as these screws and mounts are ground down by an angle grinder. Fallout Boy plays softly behind the narrator's struggles to dent the top of the gas tank inwards to the chosen degree. Logos on stickers come in and out of focus at a rapid rate as they are applied across the now ravaged tank and tail sections. One can be seen to read 'NO GRENADES' as the image fades to black*

*fade in to the finished gsxr sitting next to a landfill. Three figures make a show of laughter and earnest human connection, as they toil over their hexiform organic artificial coffee suppliment substitute. Two can be seen carefully fist bumping their ground down knuckle sliders. The scratchy and heartfelt narrator returns, unbeckoned, and unwanted*

"Out here, among the wastes of our ancestry, we find a true connection. A bond of brothers, and sisters, in authenticity. The fumes of unburnt gasoline hang in the air as we chase our dreams, hunt our potential, and remember a simpler time. When I began this, I did it for my father. Ending, I realize I've been doing it for myself all along. This is what an authentic connection to a united biker past brings you. It brings you to yourself. It brings you home."

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:popeye:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

*Always-on nanorecorders point into a dimly lit Transport Storage Cube. A young man can be seen using a hacksaw to remove the fairings from a pristine condition f4i. An earnest and forward narrator breaks into the spectacle with an air of wisdom and experience.*

"My father died tragicly just before I was born, taken in the prime of his youth when an 80 mph stoppie went wrong. Happened right there in the old McDonalds parking lot. All I have of him is pictures, memories, tales told to me by those of his fellow riders who still survive. I began this project in order to capture a piece of my heritage, a bit of the father I never knew, and to relive a time when motorcycles were real, and authentic. I'm glad to bring you along, to have you take part in this scrapbook I call my journey of manhood.

I hold in my hands a bit of history, from when motorcycle gear was real, like a knights armor, and not the energy field quackery of today. My father's remaining old revit cayanne glove, found 70 ft from where he last sat astride a powerful machine. The hard plastic on the top of the hand was called a knuckle slider. You can see here they are worn down. Bikers of the era clearly did this to reduce wind resistance and increase speed. I managed to find one last remaining pair at a flea market, in perfect condition, that I ground down in the same manner. The smell, as I was enveloped in the smoke of burning plastic, was like being wrapped in the fog of history.

Here, too, another gem of history. An old icon helmet from 2004, 23 years old now, yet still as protective as the smoke and mirrors headgear of today. As my father, and the real riders of their era did, this helmet never leaves it's ornamental spot hooked to the tail of the bike. They still haven't learned what was discovered in times gone by; helmets kill, sure as a snakebite.

By some stroke of luck, I found the perfect base for my journey, both literal and metaphorical. A pristine and well cared for 2006 GSXR 1000. Made by honda, I believe, under their performance group 'Suzuki'. Truly a diamond in the rough. In the coming weeks I'll set about converting it to it's true form. In times gone by, the riders had to make bikes fast and agile on their own, with grime under their nails, and sweat on their brow. I intend to follow this tradition by creating the fabled "streetfighter", and going on a journey in homage to my lost father figure."

*nanorecorders pan and zoom on footage of the hacksaw's haggard cuts through mirror smooth paint, eventually leaving mere bits of plastic attached to fairing mount screws. A shower of sparks flys as these screws and mounts are ground down by an angle grinder. Fallout Boy plays softly behind the narrator's struggles to dent the top of the gas tank inwards to the chosen degree. Logos on stickers come in and out of focus at a rapid rate as they are applied across the now ravaged tank and tail sections. One can be seen to read 'NO GRENADES' as the image fades to black*

*fade in to the finished gsxr sitting next to a landfill. Three figures make a show of laughter and earnest human connection, as they toil over their hexiform organic artificial coffee suppliment substitute. Two can be seen carefully fist bumping their ground down knuckle sliders. The scratchy and heartfelt narrator returns, unbeckoned, and unwanted*

"Out here, among the wastes of our ancestry, we find a true connection. A bond of brothers, and sisters, in authenticity. The fumes of unburnt gasoline hang in the air as we chase our dreams, hunt our potential, and remember a simpler time. When I began this, I did it for my father. Ending, I realize I've been doing it for myself all along. This is what an authentic connection to a united biker past brings you. It brings you to yourself. It brings you home."

:vince:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
:stare:

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Coydog posted:

Um.

What?

Also the revit cayennes are pretty cool- thanks for the find!

e: this is incredible on a second read gj

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 7, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Please don't post my diary tia

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Well done, you monster.

Also goddammit ReelBigLizard, stop having a life and write more Network Traffic, I needs ma fix!

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I'm also looking for winter gear. Colorado can get cold in the winter but is generally dry, so I'd like to ride as many days is possible.

IDEALLY I'd want to just get a one piece thing but aerostich is $$$ and if there are pants/jackets that work good I might as well do that.

So far my "winter gear" is close the vents in my helmet, put my crab claws over my latigo RR gloves, wear thermals under my pants (which are under my mesh overpants) and a windbreaker under my mesh jacket. This works out pretty good to the 40s, but I only have a 20-30 minute ride to work.

What should I get? Also how recommended are the zoidberg gloves anyway?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

The only negative of this post is how niche it is, I can't share it with the world.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Coydog posted:

Made by honda, I believe, under their performance group 'Suzuki'.

I lost it here.

:five:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That was beautiful, thank you for sharing.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Coydog posted:

Please don't get our gear thread goldmined I like to post in it thanks

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Not sure if this has been posted yet but I'm super excited that Arai has their new versions of the Quantum X and Signet X coming out. I was worried that they would eventually move all their helmets to Intermediate Oval since the Corsair V and Corsair X and RX-Q and Defiant are all IO fit. But the Quantum X returns to Round Oval fit and Signet X is Long Oval fit so those with rounder heads or longer heads won't have to compromise. I don't know why other helmet manufacturers don't offer multiple fits like Arai. Both IO and RO Arai work for me and I have tried so many other helmets but none fit as well for me.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

-Inu- posted:

Please don't get our gear thread goldmined I like to post in it thanks

Just keep posting and you'll keep it out of the goldmine. With your posts.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Day Man posted:

Just keep posting and you'll keep it out of the goldmine. With your posts.
Great thanks!!

Space Whale posted:

I'm also looking for winter gear. Colorado can get cold in the winter but is generally dry, so I'd like to ride as many days is possible.

IDEALLY I'd want to just get a one piece thing but aerostich is $$$ and if there are pants/jackets that work good I might as well do that.

So far my "winter gear" is close the vents in my helmet, put my crab claws over my latigo RR gloves, wear thermals under my pants (which are under my mesh overpants) and a windbreaker under my mesh jacket. This works out pretty good to the 40s, but I only have a 20-30 minute ride to work.

What should I get? Also how recommended are the zoidberg gloves anyway?
Just get non-vented jackets/pants, and buy a heated liner and heated gloves (NOT heated glove liners). That'll keep you going into the teens.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the appreciation for my neo-hipster blurb. :) I really enjoyed writing it.

Question- Today I found out that the ENTIRE CAN of scotch gaurd rain repellent that I put all over my Olympia Odyssey, as recommended by Olympia, does absolutely nothing in the rain. I got drenched this afternoon. I know the suit can be super waterproof, because it was that way until I washed it. I thought I could restore that, though. What should I try next?

I'm also super upset with myself for not buying the ARC Battle Born ADV suit earlier this year. It was about $350 for pants and jacket, and reviewed as favorably, or more so, than Klim. Of course, I wasn't thinking about buying a winter suit in the middle of summer. Now, that I'm ready to buy, it's out of stock and discontinued forever, with no replacement planned.

I love the Odyssey 1 piece, and CA member who gave it to me was super kind in doing so, I'd just like a two piece so I can just remove my jacket when I get to school for short classes.

Right now my choices seem to be just the Icon Raiden, and for a few bucks more I could get the Klim Overland. But that's about 800 for the suit, which is way way too much for me to spend. :homebrew:

I can't search ADVrider for used gear, because those fools are all at least six sizes larger than I.

Am I just stuck with what I have for the winter? Also, doesn't anyone make gear in hazard orange, instead of neon yellow?

VVVV But... It's my favorite color, and I want to match my Ktoom. :(

Coydog fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 8, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Give up on orange rain gear, it doesn't exist. :(

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

Thanks for all the appreciation for my neo-hipster blurb. :) I really enjoyed writing it.

Question- Today I found out that the ENTIRE CAN of scotch gaurd rain repellent that I put all over my Olympia Odyssey, as recommended by Olympia, does absolutely nothing in the rain. I got drenched this afternoon. I know the suit can be super waterproof, because it was that way until I washed it. I thought I could restore that, though. What should I try next?

I'm also super upset with myself for not buying the ARC Battle Born ADV suit earlier this year. It was about $350 for pants and jacket, and reviewed as favorably, or more so, than Klim. Of course, I wasn't thinking about buying a winter suit in the middle of summer. Now, that I'm ready to buy, it's out of stock and discontinued forever, with no replacement planned.

I love the Odyssey 1 piece, and CA member who gave it to me was super kind in doing so, I'd just like a two piece so I can just remove my jacket when I get to school for short classes.

Right now my choices seem to be just the Icon Raiden, and for a few bucks more I could get the Klim Overland. But that's about 800 for the suit, which is way way too much for me to spend. :homebrew:

I can't search ADVrider for used gear, because those fools are all at least six sizes larger than I.

Am I just stuck with what I have for the winter? Also, doesn't anyone make gear in hazard orange, instead of neon yellow?

Buy some NikWax, wash your Odyssey with it. You can get it at any REI or on Amazon. It isn't perfect - if water pools anywhere on the suit it will eventually get through - but it works pretty damned well

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Rev it crab claws, Latigo RR Gloves under the crab claws, thermal pants under my jeans (under my riding pants), sweat wicking undershirt, polo, wind breaker, riding jacket; helmet worked fine in the 30s.

Except my neck got cold as poo poo until I popped the polo's collar. gently caress that.

Scraping hoarfrost off of your dash and seat is new to me. Every wet spot on the road I kept thinking OMGISITBLACKICE. Thankfully the sun and leaving after 8 made that almost impossible.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
My advice from commuting at 6am through a horrendous British winter is just buy cheap oversized rain jackets and trousers from Amazon and rubber banding around boots/sleeves over your riding leathers. Bone dry in the foulest weather.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

Do you mind just having an over suit for the rain? I have one similar to this and it's extremely orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

First of all, I bought one of those Blue/Orange Scorpion helmets on closeout from motorcylegear.com. For $50, I couldn't be happier - its extremely comfortable, SNELL-certified, quiet, and I kind of like how obnoxiously bright it is in person. It has definitely made me realize how a "proper" fitting helmet should feel; it doesn't cause any head pain, and it makes my previous helmet feel sloppy in comparison.

Second, its getting colder, and I want to get another month or month and a half of riding in still. I currently have a speed and strength textile jacket with a hoodie that goes underneath it, but with the weather in the mid-50s the wind is definitely overcoming it. Will leather or a more windproof textile material help? Or is this just a matter of having to wear extra layers?

I'm going to need some heavier gloves too. Will gauntlets or something that has a longer cuff to go over my jacket rather than under help? Or do I just need to get something inherently warmer?