Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

Should I have received the Halo Warthog? Pre-ordered the Ultimate Edition and I don't see it anywhere.

You better loving not have. You're driving two of them in that bugged out championship I'm going to abandon.

Also you probably got it as a separate message from Microsoft rather than dumped directly into the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
What's your favorite big SUV/Offroad trucks?
-The Escalade is a total sleeper. Its so loving long and has such a huge suspension travel with the rally suspension I actually slammed its ride height and don't bottom out but still have like 8 inches of travel. The length of it actually allowed me to convert it to RWD and with its super wide super long body its never rolls or even attempts to spin out unless i am being really stupid on the gas. I think I have it tuned to B700 but I can't remember.

-The old Bronco is hilarious and does wheelies. Its also incredibly fast for a D400 truck. Like 120mph over dirt easy. Kept AWD on it for max hoonability.

-The buggies are, well.... buggies. But for the Extreme Offroaders that Bowler is pretty sick. The trophy truck is a handful but a lot of fun. I actually enjoy the RAID Ranger the most probably.

-The Barn Find Lambo can be upgraded wildly, check it out.

-The Warthog (bought on AH) is pretty lame tbh. No customization possible.

Co-op Campaign is pretty much takes the entire solo experience and just lets you do it with a friend or up to 3 other players. Not a single feature is locked in that mode.

All the other stuff online (12 player roaming lobbies, etc) just put you in the map and you can start events manually, but there is no career progression.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I grew pretty attached to the Urus, which I thought was pretty good despite being a freebie or something. Normally i would have chosen the Bronco, but I was mad that it said it had illegal parts on it. I really was scrambling to beat Howdy/Gutbomb/whoever to form the GRRC because that's the kind of ridiculous nonsense my life is based on so I didn't have time to rebuild the Bronco from scratch.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Very informative, Endbuster, thanks!

What is Freeroam? Is it just single-player with online drivers or is it a lobby thing?

Basically I am trying to figure out what the different modes are (Online adventure, etc.) I'd like to do one where I can bank XP,/Credits, and maybe complete events.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Endbuster posted:

What's your favorite big SUV/Offroad trucks?

750hp Volvo station wagon with rally suspension and tires. Hovercraft between trees at 190mph.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all that info the background makes it make more sense to me because I understood what the numbers meant physically, just not what sort of applications they have.

sandoz posted:

750hp Volvo station wagon with rally suspension and tires. Hovercraft between trees at 190mph.
Also everyone should get a BMW 300, drive it around for 2 minutes down the road, then bring it back and put the I4 motorbike engine and turbo on it. Do not do anything else to the car to try to offset the new hosepower and torque. Whoever designed that car should get a medal because I rolled and flipped it end over end it about 150 times in 10 minutes and not once did it fail to upright itself and keep on going.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the '69 Fairlady is on sale for my fellow Nissan nerds out there:

CapnBry posted:

Thanks for all that info the background makes it make more sense to me because I understood what the numbers meant physically, just not what sort of applications they have.

:tipshat:

One huge thing you can do in tuning is convert to AWD then use the differential to divert power mostly to the rear. This lets you have a car that feels like a RWD car but will let you naturally straighten out when you floor it like an AWD or Front-wheel car. This is the main thing people are exploiting at the top tier leaderboards because points seem to stack faster and higher when you come flying into the drift zone at a 90 degree angle and use the drivetrain to regain control instead of spinning out like you would in a purely RWD car.

as someone kind of mentioned earlier, irl in rwd shitbox drift missiles you'll see kids literally welding bolts and screws into the rear differential to lock break it so that the back wheels spin at the same time and break loose easier. I would only ever consider this in a car with very low HP.

usually the differential prevents this by making the inside wheels spin at a different rate than the outside wheel which helps during turns because outside of drifting, spinning tires is bad more often than not. welded diffs are a makeshift crutch for inexperienced drivers and you don't usually see people doing it on their 2nd and 3rd cars.

Thief fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 7, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Keket: you're about to receive some likes for your vinyls.

Folks, if you don't know how to like a vinyl group, it's because it doesn't pop up readily.
If you download a vinyl, I don't think you can like it right away. AFTER you download a vinyl, like it by starting to add it to a car. You don't have to actually use it. Just select it to add from the "LOAD A VINYL GROUP" menu. Select each one you think is good and select "LIKE." It's that simple.

Anyone who makes tunes, designs, and vinyls loves to see their work used. If you make them, you know there is precious little money in it. Nothing feels better than to see someone LIKED it. But the game hides liking in a weird place.

If you download a vinyl, even if you find a better one and don't use it, give that creator a LIKE.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 8, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

give that creator a LIKE.

Where is the LOVE button?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

I don't think that balloon could support that truck, I'm pretty done with this games terrible physics.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 360 days!

Thief posted:

the '69 Fairlady is on sale for my fellow Nissan nerds out there:

it's a good one

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How do you guys upgrade your cars in general? When I buy a new car I usually just glue everything available to it until it's X999 or something, but I feel like I'm missing out on the fun. Do you try to max it out in a specific class? Is there some golden ratio of upgrades that makes it the most fun?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

GutBomb posted:

Where are you loving goons?

Sorry i missed the endurance race this week gutbomb. i was busy getting blown

I did finally spring for horizon 3, which is everyones cue to move to another game. (after 12 hours of downloading: 34%)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 8, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

How do you guys upgrade your cars in general? When I buy a new car I usually just glue everything available to it until it's X999 or something, but I feel like I'm missing out on the fun. Do you try to max it out in a specific class? Is there some golden ratio of upgrades that makes it the most fun?
I think every car in this game can be upgraded to S1 status, but that would be pretty samey if every car was just a variation on the same performance. I definitely like keeping cars in their class with the upgrades, but if you use the auto-upgrade to make it X99 or X00 you really need to crank up the AI to keep it from being too easy. What I love about this game is the game doesn't give a fuuuuuuck about what you do, so it lets you do whatever you find to be more fun. You get the same number of fans/money/XP if you take the 1974 Toyota Celica and do a race with it as a D class as when you do it as an S2 class, and the race will match the class of car you bring to it. The only thing that changes is the money if you change the difficulty settings, so even if you race all D cars all D time :haw: you still finish the game at the same time as someone who takes every car to S2 assuming your difficulty is set the same.

If you're really sporting like @Thief, take the car out for a race and see if there's something you don't like about it, then just upgrade or tune that part.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I really just like driving the cars stock. That's how they feel the most different from each other. As soon as you start tuning them they end up feeling the same as one-another.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNlGgH64HKM

quote:

I did finally spring for horizon 3, which is everyones cue to move to another game. (after 12 hours of downloading: 34%)
So I finally had that weird glitch where the game sets your race brakes to 10% for no reason. I set it back to where I like it but I read it just randomly comes back. WTF? This is on the console.

I had a blast online with GutBomb this afternoon! My first time playing online in FH3. So much XP to be had. Very few problems, too!

I have to hit bed soon but I hope someone online will invite me to play co-op. I tried to hang out with Endbuster and DAShoe but they are on PC and we can't chat.

Looking for goons to goof around with for a few until I have to go to bed. Tomorrow night I'm down for online fun until late Tuesday morning. C'mon. Let's do it.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Note the total lack of craftsmenship. I found all that wood in the trash ~2 hours before the storm hit. Home depot is for lame-os.

As a meth addict that choked me out said once: "This 'aint my first party, ace".

Howdy that song rocks and i look forward to racing you again.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

The game really fucks with the PI if you want to make a B class or C class car out of a D class car. Sport tire upgrade on a D254 car, SUDDENLY ITS AN A754 NOW.

Bullshit.

So to circumvent this I've been doing what Gutbomb does and been goin' all or nothing.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Howdy that song rocks and i look forward to racing you again.
Yeah, it's a cool song. I hoped you'd like it.

I predict the heat-death of the universe will be closer to the bright hot excitement of the big bang before you and I "race" again.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Thief posted:

bro, just alt tab into itunes or even vlc player.

the only thing you're missing out on is muffled background music when you enter a festival menu. skill songs still happen with the volume at 1%.

the worst thing that'll happen is you'll mess up your "Favorite Radio Station" stats on the loading screen lmao

playing on console but thanks for the tip anyway

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Endbuster posted:

The game really fucks with the PI if you want to make a B class or C class car out of a D class car. Sport tire upgrade on a D254 car, SUDDENLY ITS AN A754 NOW.

Bullshit.

Yeah, none of the other Forzas are like that. They hosed with the tire PI increase something fierce, and it annoys the poo poo out of me. Good luck taking a D class car to the top of its class. Upgrade tires--lol hope you like getting your doors blown off by AI with engine upgrades. Upgrade engine instead--lol not possible to reach D500 even with like 300hp under the hood and poo poo tires.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i haven't been playing fh3 much due to college but i played it for a good several hours today and man, it is a pretty fuckin good game y'all.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

L_Harrison posted:

Yeah, none of the other Forzas are like that. They hosed with the tire PI increase something fierce, and it annoys the poo poo out of me. Good luck taking a D class car to the top of its class. Upgrade tires--lol hope you like getting your doors blown off by AI with engine upgrades. Upgrade engine instead--lol not possible to reach D500 even with like 300hp under the hood and poo poo tires
This. I've noticed the AI cars can corner on rails but regardless of my tune I either have insufficient grip or insufficient power. In the corners, if I weight-shift to the front tires I'm likely to slow down too much and exit too slowly. If I take the corner faster I drift and slide off the course, and exit too slowly.
I think I tried to tune a mid-grade PI car today and just stock to street tires cost almost 200 PI. I knew that if I kept that I'd be woefully under-powered.

I try to compensate by just widening tires. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes, it feels as if something isn't right.

Cubey posted:

i haven't been playing fh3 much due to college but i played it for a good several hours today and man, it is a pretty fuckin good game y'all.
V Cubivore on his Bi-polar up-swing. V

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 8, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mean drat son. fh1 had a real cool map but was ultimately really content-lacking. fh2 had more than enough content but i really found the map lacking as poo poo. fh3 is the best part of both games.

this is as giant a jump for horizon as forza 3 was for the main series. it has reached the potential that was teased by the first two games.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

L_Harrison posted:

Yeah, none of the other Forzas are like that. They hosed with the tire PI increase something fierce, and it annoys the poo poo out of me. Good luck taking a D class car to the top of its class. Upgrade tires--lol hope you like getting your doors blown off by AI with engine upgrades. Upgrade engine instead--lol not possible to reach D500 even with like 300hp under the hood and poo poo tires.

Its loving obnoxious. The Falcon XY can't compete in B600 or lower. Period. Max width stock tires front and rear (like 325w or something crazy) and every single other possible upgrade to the car except tire compound puts it at around 1200hp and just barely manages to hit B600. Of course its an undrivable mess at that point.

Put sport tires on it, not its B600 with about 200hp and weighs a gently caress ton with no room to do anything else.

Like, cmon man. Not everybody wants to X999 their poo poo or drive stock.

Its a pain in the rear end to find cars that you can lightly modify and stick be drivable.

And I'm someone who is pretty drat good at racing games, so I know the PI system is a little hosed.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm kind of confused how Playground managed to break the PI system so completely in this game, since Forza 5, FH2, Forza 6 and FH3 all share the same engine, and the first three Xbone Forza games all had pretty similar PI systems.

It wouldn't be as bad if the AI didn't seem to have a different understanding of physics than the rest of the universe, since I've seen AI muscle cars with huge power upgrades on stock tires and suspension taking corners in the rain like they were glued to the road.

Since the issue seems to be a fundamental change with how the game calculates PI (instead of just having a few car/upgrade combos that break the PI system), I'm guessing that we're probably never going to get the PI system addressed until FH4 comes out in 2018.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

of course someone out there already made this skin: http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/12/turning-a-lamborghini-into-a-drift-machine/

also @keket:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I did it! All roads and bonus boards :toot: That loving XP board in the train tunnel pissed me off until I figured it out

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Dr. Faustus posted:

Keket: you're about to receive some likes for your vinyls.

Wait what?

Think I might spend today doing some paintjobs. Also @theif nice way of selling out ya bitch, did you make it awd too?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Keket posted:

Also @theif nice way of selling out ya bitch, did you make it awd too?

though I think it comes AWD stock iirc ...btw, you're already on there with a S class car that is infamous for only having 200-205HP - the same as a Civic Si. :bigtran:

I hope someone tries the Lexus LFA before I get around to it so that we can have this proper situation at that turn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keFvE446z08&t=56s

If someone made this design you must convert to V8 asap:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
You know the graphics in this game are good when I couldn't figure out if some of the photos in that article were from this game or real.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Thief posted:

though I think it comes AWD stock iirc ...btw, you're already on there with a S class car that is infamous for only having 200-205HP - the same as a Civic Si. :bigtran:

IDGI?

350(ish) bhp

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Keket posted:

IDGI?

350(ish) bhp

Weab.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Someone on the Forza forums figured out why FH3 stutters on the pc: Playground Games programmed PC memory usage exactly like how the Xbox One works.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
It's also getting a kicking because of how well GoW runs on PC, apparently.

Keket posted:

IDGI?

350(ish) bhp

..sorry :)

Pinny fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 8, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I got all the bonus boards now but I am missing one road and I just can't find it. So annoying.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Someone on the Forza forums figured out why FH3 stutters on the pc: Playground Games programmed PC memory usage exactly like how the Xbox One works.

So then this can be fixed I hope?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If it was that easy there would have been a PC port of "Red dead redemption".

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Idgi? I used a Japanese car?

Pinny posted:

..sorry :)

Took out a 900bhp car too and managed to mostly match you duder :) you need to nudge me next time you're on so we can drift around, i found a few neat spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I love that every car with rally history has rally upgrades now. Even the 240z has extra lights and mudflaps.

• Locked thread