Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

This LP got me back into playing. :unsmith:

Me too. I finally broke my fear of Veteran missions.

Then I hit Champion and it wrecked my poo poo. ;_; (And then lost one of my heads while drinking.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I would personally love to see a gimmick run that relies entirely on movement skills. Who cares if the party that spends every fight shuffling itself gets shuffled.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Night10194 posted:

This LP got me back into playing. :unsmith:

Same here, and it also got me out of my comfort zone. I used to play even safer than Highwang, always at max light, always using multiple healers never used certain classes because they didn't fit the play style. Now? Now I'm running around on Champion missions in eternal darkness hunting certain relics, terrified of every step forward but loving every minute of it. Thank you Highwang for unintentionally pushing me out of the rut I was in.

However you're still wrong about Lepers. They're amazing, especially with Hew.

I had a long rant lined up about proper use of Hew and the like, but y'know what? Who cares.

Edit: (Three posts down) Oh my god, that sounds awesome. The best I've had is a focused Arbalest

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 7, 2016

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Tylana posted:

(And then lost one of my heads while drinking.)

You know, as much as I'd like some kind of story/novelization of this game, that is the story I really want to read. Hell, I'd settle for some artwork of the table's response to someone putting up a severed head as collateral.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Same here, and it also got me out of my comfort zone. I used to play even safer than Highwang, always at max light, always using multiple healers never used certain classes because they didn't fit the play style. Now? Now I'm running around on Champion missions in eternal darkness hunting certain relics, terrified of every step forward but loving every minute of it. Thank you Highwang for unintentionally pushing me out of the rut I was in.

However you're still wrong about Lepers. They're amazing, especially with Hew. I'd do a full page write up but I'm fairly certain 2/3rds of the thread wants me drawn and quartered at this point.

I wouldn't mind going down defending the glory of King Baldwin and his shitwrecking strength.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

However you're still wrong about Lepers. They're amazing, especially with Hew.

I had a long rant lined up about proper use of Hew and the like, but y'know what? Who cares.

I had a Leper hopped up on pig juice go Powerful.

There were no survivors.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Krumbsthumbs posted:

:justpost:

btw, episode's uploading but its 3gb since Premiere is dumb like that. Also plan to post the Flesh fight info today but man I've been """""busy""""" lately.

Also also, 1k replies wut.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Night10194 posted:

I had a Leper hopped up on pig juice go Powerful.

There were no survivors.

It's amazing how a simple +2DMG buff to his max and min damage took the Leper from a pretty bad choice to complete shitfucker.

There's one video I've been itching to post that shows just how loving powerful the Leper is but sadly that will have to wait until the end of the game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halser posted:

It's amazing how a simple +2DMG buff to his max and min damage took the Leper from a pretty bad choice to complete shitfucker.

There's one video I've been itching to post that shows just how loving powerful the Leper is but sadly that will have to wait until the end of the game.

The thing is, what it did was take his accuracy problem and adjust it next to his damage to make his overall damage come out ahead, but with a higher chance of whiffing completely. So he has higher average damage, just more of his damage is going to be lost to missing a swing compared to just not doing as much damage, if that makes sense. Which suddenly makes the risk-reward proposition really reasonable.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Night10194 posted:

The thing is, what it did was take his accuracy problem and adjust it next to his damage to make his overall damage come out ahead, but with a higher chance of whiffing completely. So he has higher average damage, just more of his damage is going to be lost to missing a swing compared to just not doing as much damage, if that makes sense. Which suddenly makes the risk-reward proposition really reasonable.

There's also the matter of his accuracy issue being a bit blown out of proportion once you get good trinkets like the Sun Ring and level him past lvl 1 skills.

Due to his targeting flexibility, he's rarely going to be going after dodgy assholes, those usually sit in the back row. There's one particular dodgy rear end in a top hat that shows up later in the weald that makes me grind my teeth every time.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 20: Highwang's Dull, Long and Unfunderful Day

Today we're introduced to both veteran missions and Purify missions, combining to form the slowest and most agonizing run for me. Also, apparently Chitlin's worried about me wut.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
The LP curse is a slow and assiduous killer

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man Grave Robbers are great. Is there anything they can't do? :allears:

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Ok, I'll edit that and get it in here after people have a chance to enjoy this latest episode.

Chitlin is right about the Brawlers adding stress damage at higher difficulties. Also those mushroom men do 5-7ish damage with their attacks, but they do 50% extra damage against marked targets. With a crit that's some serious damage.

Mushroom men are assholes.

Jesus, you have the worst luck with these "shine activation" missions. Granted, this is the Weald, and the Weald wants to hate you to death. Even so, that's some RNG showing up.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 7, 2016

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I think I've had a character starve to death looking for the last curio to interact with. Can those missions turn up as Long? That would be horrifying.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Highwang posted:

Also also, 1k replies wut.

A thousand posts, a thousand ways to die against the blight of my failure.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Gosh darn it stop stunning with the Crusader and either smack poo poo around or use Battle Cry on the Vestal. Could have avoided a resolve check there.
Battle Cry is amazing, I prefer running that over Stunning Blow and slotting in Holy Lance and his heal.

Also, Treebranch Smackdown crits for 61 damage on champion dungeons. It's really amazing to see. The only weak point is that it only hits the front two rows, so you can half-reliably use Guards(dodge guard preferably) to completely nullify it.

Confuson Spores is there to make up for Treebranch Smackdown's issue with targeting. It has an annoying tendency to crit(dealing more stress damage than it has any right to) and it also debuffs accuracy, a terrible synergy considering how the Giant usually keeps dogs and witches as companions.

Another few notes for Veteran+ dungeons, based on the enemies we saw.
Stressful incantation marks enemies. Rend for the Old Gods deals +50% damage to marked targets.
Eldritch Push + Pull deal stress damage.
Groping Swipe has a chance for a blight DoT. Oddly enough, Rend the Marked doesn't.

Some of the changes are really subtle but provide extra challenge without it simply being "enemies deal a gajillion damage".

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You don't get nothing for the minus 3 Inventory slot missions; each one causes a specific town event. There's one for the Warrens(?) in particular that gives you the free Quirk treatment which is worth its length in gold.

I don't mind the ones that start you off with three items all that much since if you get lucky you can bumrush for the closes quest curios to clear the items out of your inventory.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Genocyber posted:

You don't get nothing for the minus 3 Inventory slot missions; each one causes a specific town event. There's one for the Warrens(?) in particular that gives you the free Quirk treatment which is worth its length in gold.

I don't mind the ones that start you off with three items all that much since if you get lucky you can bumrush for the closes quest curios to clear the items out of your inventory.

It's essential to have good scouting if you bother doing these, since otherwise you'll probably waste a bunch of time searching for the correct curios.

It's also good in those scary champion dungeons, since you can avoid a fair number of fights if you just rush to the curios. This is more effective in the Warrens, since the maps there tend to be more interconnected, with more opportunities for taking alternate paths.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
What I like about the multi-target skills like hound's harry is that you can use them to finish off something that's at a sliver of health remaining and get a headstart on taking down everything else on the same action.

Like, it doesn't matter how good your single target abilities are if the target only has 3HP left anyway.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Tendales posted:

What I like about the multi-target skills like hound's harry is that you can use them to finish off something that's at a sliver of health remaining and get a headstart on taking down everything else on the same action.

Like, it doesn't matter how good your single target abilities are if the target only has 3HP left anyway.

That's the idea, but in effect there are very few situations where that happens. For a good bunch of heroes you'll probably have room for an AoE without sacrifing much, so it's nice to have.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I appreciate your Metalocalypse reference Highwang.

You're all gonna die. You! Dead!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Grapplejack posted:

Man Grave Robbers are great. Is there anything they can't do? :allears:

Pay their bills without resorting to desecrating a tomb or six, apparently.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Well that's was an interesting mission. Been playing along and haven't run into those monsters on veteran yet. Ran into some annoying stuff in the ruin we haven't run into yet though.

If you ever locate the trinket Guardian's Shield, you should do a run with a MoA in the far back. One of my favorite team setups so far, though you need all the -stress stuff on him you can get.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

"So I don't have any food. Besides that 12 stack at tehe end of the first row."

So much gold died on this run.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Ok, so here we go. I apologize for the wall of text, but uh, screw it.

Area of Effect (AoE) attacks are the one of the biggest traps in Darkest Dungeon. A few mistakes on longer dungeon runs can add up to several extra monster attacks, and more chances for bullshit crits to ruin your day.

Here are a few rules to guide you on when you should and shouldn't use AoE attacks. There are dozens of exceptions to these rules and I'll try to hit some bigger ones along the way, but most are too niche to point out on a basic outline like this.

1. Most of the time it is better to use a single, more accurate and damaging attack.

Damage mitigation is king in Darkest Dungeon, and a dead enemy is 90% preferable to two badly injured enemies. Focusing one enemy allows you to remove an irritating enemy before they can cause too much hp/stress damage. Single target attacks usually hit harder and are more accurate, so stick with those until the enemy is weak.

Exceptions: The Rake on the Abomination. Since this is a rev up skill for longer fights, Rake can allow the Abom's other single target attacks to kill in later rounds due to the damage boost. The Plague Doctor is also better served using DoT attacks unless they can kill a nasty target off with one knife swing.

2. Only use an AoE attack if you're certain you're going to kill at least one enemy with it.

Example: A Leper can use Hew to deal 7-11 damage to two targets with 7 and 19 hp respectively.
This is the bread and butter situation for AoE attacks. The Leper cannot reliably kill the target with 19 hp outside of a crit, so it is better to secure one dead target and wound another rather than just killing the weaker one.

3. When using AoEs with Damage over Time (DoT) effects, make sure the DoT will always activate before relying on it to finish off an enemy.

Few things are more annoying than hoping a Jester's Harvest will put a bleed effect on an enemy with 2 HP left, only to see that resist icon pop up. Always check the enemy's resistance before using the attack. If they have a higher resistance than you feel comfortable taking a risk on, use a more direct damage attack instead.

Exceptions: Plague Doctors can usually ignore this part since they can crank their blight attacks up to obscene levels, but keep an eye out for large enemies taking up rows 2-3 with high blight resist. It might be better to use the dagger instead to finish off said large monsters rather than gambling on a blight chance.

4. Always check the damage variance on each enemy before making the attack.

It seems simple, but checking the minimum damage on the AoE attack on each target every time you use it will save you from human error. Depending on trinket layout, enemy prot%, quirks and other misc. effects, an AoE can deal different amounts of damage to two targets that would appear to take the same damage from an attack.

Example: A Leper can hit an Occultist Brawler and a Pelagic Grouper with Hew. The two targets have 9 hp left respectively due to Ripostes from the Highwayman in the group. The damage range from Hew is 8-11 on the Brawler, so it would appear to be better to use Chop to secure a kill. However, the Leper has a quirk of Eldritch Hater (15% damage boost against Eldritch enemies) and his minimum damage is 9 against the Grouper. Hew would kill the Grouper and likely kill the Brawler as well.

If you have an issue with remembering who has what damage boosts against what type of enemies, try using post it notes on the side of your monitor before entering the dungeon. It seems silly, but it can save you some heart ache.

Ok, so that covers some basic stuff for AoE stuff, but this list doesn't take into account evasion, niche party comps, any boss fight and a million other things that pop up. If people have any suggestions or major ideas not on the list I would be thrilled to hear it.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 8, 2016

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Ok, so that covers some basic stuff for AoE stuff, but this list doesn't take into account evasion, niche party comps, any boss fight and a million other things that pop up. If people have any suggestions or major ideas not on the list I would be thrilled to hear it.

I've got you covered with a quick and dirty guide to AOEs vs bosses who I don't think are spoilers.

Necromancer: Yes
Prophet: Eh
Hag: No
Brigand Pounder: Yes
Swine Prince: nooooooooooooo
Flesh: Strictly better than single target damage
Siren: No
Drowned Crew: Maybe but not really
Shambler: You can if you want.
Collector: Yes

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

ZeroCount posted:

I've got you covered with a quick and dirty guide to AOEs vs bosses who I don't think are spoilers.

Flesh: Strictly better than single target damage

Assuming you're dealing DoT. Otherwise, most of the Flesh's pieces aren't that fleshy at all and you're better off going for the heart instead.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Halser posted:

Assuming you're dealing DoT. Otherwise, most of the Flesh's pieces aren't that fleshy at all and you're better off going for the heart instead.

This is correct. I was just thinking of the Houndmaster and the Plague Doctor.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

If I could make a request, can you do a no-healer run soon? Healers are in somewhat short supply, so getting tips on how to do one would be appreciated.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
FYI your playlist is missing episode 16

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New update - Episode 21: Cannonball Run

Today we fight the 8-Pounder and realize just how lucky I can get with things. One thing of note: I did do research, and that cleansing quest I did last episode did contribute to the events at hand but it only increased the odds of it happening.

Also my apologies Kaboom Dragoon but I can't read.

By the way, if anyone is remotely interested, Cattle Drive:catdrugs:

TheCog posted:

FYI your playlist is missing episode 16
Remedied.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 10, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Highwang posted:

New update - Episode 21: Cannonball Run

Today we fight the 8-Pounder and realize just how lucky I can get with things. One thing of note: I did do research, and that cleansing quest I did last episode did contribute to the events at hand but it only increased the odds of it happening.

Also my apologies Kaboom Dragoon but I can't read.

Remedied.

Wow, couldn't they have the gun possessed by something? Or use something like roundshot, heat-shot, grapeshot?

That seems an incredibly easy boss.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I took a random party to this fight blind on the first time, and I never even saw the cannon fire once.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Samovar posted:

Wow, couldn't they have the gun possessed by something? Or use something like roundshot, heat-shot, grapeshot?

That seems an incredibly easy boss.

gets real loving hard in later versions, but the beginner one is pretty easy.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Really liking this LP. I'd like to sign up for duty but I'm not really sure which classes are likely to be hired at this point.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Elth posted:

Really liking this LP. I'd like to sign up for duty but I'm not really sure which classes are likely to be hired at this point.

Right now, all healer classes are filled and most likely we won't be seeing another jester and PD until extreme late-game where death is a possibility.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I took a look at the recruitment sheet like I should've in the first place!

Sign me up as "Elth" for Highwayman, Antiquarian and Graverobber in that order of priority, please!

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Halser posted:

gets real loving hard in later versions, but the beginner one is pretty easy.

In the game I'm currently running the champion fight is the only one I haven't beaten or even tried to do. Champion Weald runs are always dicey with those damned giants.

We have a max of 28 slots for people, so at least 2 of the 15 classes will not have a double up. I left out a 2nd PD and a Bounty Hunter, but what did everyone else do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Krumbsthumbs posted:

We have a max of 28 slots for people, so at least 2 of the 15 classes will not have a double up. I left out a 2nd PD and a Bounty Hunter, but what did everyone else do?

Cheat. :smug:

Seriously though, you can dig through your DD folders and find the stage_coach, and open the file in Notepad and change the unit cap each upgrade gives you. Ben and I ended up going up to 36. We mostly use it for alternates (like I think we have 2 musketeers plus one arbalest) and to do gimmicks, like one recent video where he hired 3 jesters fresh off the coach and an antiquarian to go on a dark run to see if they'd make it out or not.

• Locked thread