Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

kaesarsosei posted:

They took smoke and HE away from all except the Premium Belfast IIRC (and maybe the T5 keeps HE). This is good because there is too much smoke in the game.

They said they gave he smoke *back* to RN cruisers for testing, but it's only one "puff" so it can stay hidden from sight or break contact, but ships with torps can also easily saturate the location if it just sits there.

Edit: Here's the relevant leaks on test for what they are trying right now:

RN cruisers get their smoke back, but its 1 puff with 1.33* radius of normal smoke with similar duration as normal smoke. They are still AP only except the premiums (perth/belfast). Their paper armour has been returned so they are fragile once more.

This means the smoke has more of a utility role since its easier to predict where to torp the smoke to hit the cruiser + shell trails let you know where the cruiser is inside the smoke to aid this w/ blind fire, its mostly for escapes/turns and ambushes given you only have 1 puffs duration to do anything

Repair - Repair Party - repairs 40% of the ships HP in 20secs (2% per sec)

The single fire torpedoes remain, but their utility is mostly gimmicky IMO, I cant see a huge value to it , only in some scenarios where duking someone with torps is viable (close range, where they have already turned to avoid initial torps for eg)

This does seem more paletable than version 2 which was strong AP german style roles without smoke. That seemed kinda lame and uninteresting even if it was powerful and counter intuitive to a light cruisers role

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So what do they do against DDs with only small caliber AP?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Heartcatch posted:

If you've played the Farragut, the Lo Yang is similar to that, though you sacrifice your speed boost and instant torpedo dodging ability for hydroacoustic. The minute playstyle changes involve longer ranged torpedoes that you'll have to deal with and in order to make smoke effective, you'll have to drag it out instead of smoking a circle and a half or so in order to maximize effectiveness and minimize torpedo spam into your smoke. Always use hydroacoustic if you're inside the smoke and there is an enemy DD within striking range if just to prevent being torpedoed. However, if you can take the gamble with not using hydroacoustic, you may be able to turn matches right around by negating enemy smoke and removing a destroyer from the game.

You'll want to hug low hills to fire your catapult launchers over or medium-sized ones if you want to sit a good distance away. Never engage in the open against any ship that has hydroacoustic or radar. Abuse islands to the best of your capability, if you must reveal yourself, make sure that you can escape within ~5 seconds. US DD shell arcs take a lot of getting used to and you'll often find yourself having a hard time hitting targets beyond 8km before you acclimate. Until you're sure of accuracy, my suggestion is to start walking shots with your absurd rate of fire to get a feel for the trajectory.

I guess I was playing this thing way too aggressively, since I'm used to the Russian line which does fine in gunnery duels.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Night10194 posted:

So what do they do against DDs with only small caliber AP?

Small caliber AP works against DDs. Big caliber overpens, but tiny caliber ones can penetrate the armor and hit inside for damage. You won't want to aim for the superstructure on those DDs you'll want to aim for the main body of the ship, but that's fine.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Victor Surge posted:

They said they gave he smoke *back* to RN cruisers for testing, but it's only one "puff" so it can stay hidden from sight or break contact, but ships with torps can also easily saturate the location if it just sits there.

Edit: Here's the relevant leaks on test for what they are trying right now:

RN cruisers get their smoke back, but its 1 puff with 1.33* radius of normal smoke with similar duration as normal smoke. They are still AP only except the premiums (perth/belfast). Their paper armour has been returned so they are fragile once more.

This means the smoke has more of a utility role since its easier to predict where to torp the smoke to hit the cruiser + shell trails let you know where the cruiser is inside the smoke to aid this w/ blind fire, its mostly for escapes/turns and ambushes given you only have 1 puffs duration to do anything

Repair - Repair Party - repairs 40% of the ships HP in 20secs (2% per sec)

The single fire torpedoes remain, but their utility is mostly gimmicky IMO, I cant see a huge value to it , only in some scenarios where duking someone with torps is viable (close range, where they have already turned to avoid initial torps for eg)

This does seem more paletable than version 2 which was strong AP german style roles without smoke. That seemed kinda lame and uninteresting even if it was powerful and counter intuitive to a light cruisers role

Single fire torpedoes?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wow, British CAs sound kinda meh tbh.

I'll probably get a premium if they have a decent one for captain grinding.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I've seen a lot of people complaining about XP gains post-economy balance and would tend to agree it feels much lower. However credit gains definately feel better and I can spam T10 games at will (with Premium account) and at worse break even. But I had this interesting game just now:

Fairly mediocre XP gain but massive creds

I potential-tanked nearly 2.5m dmg....I haven't paid much attention to this stat to know if its much. Turns out that tanking a lot of damage is rewarding. I was only running premium account, no flags and no mission rewards. At one point my Moskva was reversing away from a Yamato, Bismarck and F deG, and there really wasn't a good deal they could do about it aside from secondary fires. I don't understand why the Moskva is such a tank tbh.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I think it's the combination of having just enough armor and you doing a good job of angling.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

im trapped in rank 11/10 purgatory

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/compplay-na-eu/

Round 2 looks to be pure comedy. 12 Shimakazes vs. 12 Shimakazes, torpedoes only, on Ocean.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

im trapped in rank 11/10 purgatory

I've decided to do Ranked as more of a marathon. Ten matches a day during the late afternoon/early evening, before the worst pubbies come online. So far I'm at Rank 9+2 stars, with four earned yesterday (7 wins, 3 losses) and two today (5 wins, 3 losses, 2 losses with me in first) and it seems to work relatively well.

Lord Koth posted:

Round 2 looks to be pure comedy. 12 Shimakazes vs. 12 Shimakazes, torpedoes only, on Ocean.

12*Bismarcks on both sides in a secondaries only battle should also be stupid fun. I'm just not sure if it's gonna be more stupid or more fun.

Magni fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 6, 2016

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly I think Umikazes on Islands or a smaller map in general would be even better

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 6, 2016

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
After several months hiatus I returned to WoWS. Just in time to play ranked. Fuso swiftly carried me to rank 15 but unfortunately only tier 8 ship I have is Mogami and with current meta playing ranked in a cruiser feels... not as fun as other kind of ship. So I am grinding hard to get Amagi (I am theorycrafting that only necessary upgrade to freexp for it will be hull B while in Fubuki it seems I will have to spend more freexp) so thread please give me advice on how to use the ship.

Speaking about Mogami it seems that her 8-inchers got buffed and have same fire rate as Myoko. Which turns Mogami into stealthier Myoko with better torpedo armament. Now the question I have is what the point of putting 8-inchers on her? Yes turret turn rate get buffed a lot but it seems you lose a lot of DPS. Potentially in 30 seconds with 6-inchers you will put 60 shells in the air while only 30 with 8-inchers. You are not getting increase in range. Advantage of more damaging 8-inch shell seems to be negated by advantages of 6-inch battery. So what am I missing here? Is better penetration and turret turn rate worth that much?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Magni posted:

I've decided to do Ranked as more of a marathon. Ten matches a day during the late afternoon/early evening, before the worst pubbies come online. So far I'm at Rank 9+2 stars, with four earned yesterday (7 wins, 3 losses) and two today (5 wins, 3 losses, 2 losses with me in first) and it seems to work relatively well.

12*Bismarcks on both sides in a secondaries only battle should also be stupid fun. I'm just not sure if it's gonna be more stupid or more fun.

42 battles later and I'm at 8 + 1 star

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Actually came close to sending in a video to report an utterly worthless poo poo that managed to go over and above what I normally see. Not AFK, or normal meandering bot behavior. No, he sailed his Fuso as far away from the enemy team as he could, parked himself behind an island (one tall enough he couldn't shoot over), and when three damaged enemy ships started moving towards that location, ran away. Was still at 100% health as of the end of the match. Like, even crappy bots aren't normally that bad. Not sure if it would have been a win even if he had joined in since the whole team was poo poo (150k damage game for me, along with mostly shutting down the enemy CV, team still couldn't pull through) but he certainly didn't help. This fucker, specifically: https://na.warships.today/player/1006210904/gallente99.

I also could barely go even a single game tonight without getting at least one person on my team AFK for the entire match, so don't know what the hell is up with that either. Occasionally, sure, but nearly every single match?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
You know, I'm really surprised at how well the dunk works for in the t6 ranked bracket. Everyone in their new mex, warsprites, bayerns, and fusos just don't take you seriously while you just happily pummel them with 8x 330s. And when they do shoot, they seem a little miffed when I'm bouncing their shells or taking minimal damage.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Lord Koth posted:

Actually came close to sending in a video to report an utterly worthless poo poo that managed to go over and above what I normally see. Not AFK, or normal meandering bot behavior. No, he sailed his Fuso as far away from the enemy team as he could, parked himself behind an island (one tall enough he couldn't shoot over), and when three damaged enemy ships started moving towards that location, ran away. Was still at 100% health as of the end of the match. Like, even crappy bots aren't normally that bad. Not sure if it would have been a win even if he had joined in since the whole team was poo poo (150k damage game for me, along with mostly shutting down the enemy CV, team still couldn't pull through) but he certainly didn't help. This fucker, specifically: https://na.warships.today/player/1006210904/gallente99.

I also could barely go even a single game tonight without getting at least one person on my team AFK for the entire match, so don't know what the hell is up with that either. Occasionally, sure, but nearly every match.

Gallente99 what? I see the problem here. He was just trying to mine some veldspar in peace until those mean gankers came along. :mad:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lord Koth needs to learn the most important goon mantra: shoot blues.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I just want to give a special shoutout to that idiot on your team who dies right away and then says CAP CAP CAP in chat even though the other team has a 400 point lead, twice as many ships, and would prison sex you if you even tried to get within 5km of a circle.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lord Koth needs to learn the most important goon mantra: shoot blues.

There used to be a second part to this mantra :smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lakedaimon posted:

I just want to give a special shoutout to that idiot on your team who dies right away and then says CAP CAP CAP in chat even though the other team has a 400 point lead, twice as many ships, and would prison sex you if you even tried to get within 5km of a circle.

Don't you know that death instantly makes someone an ~expert tactician~? God, it's like you don't even know how to bote.

Also, it's physically impossible for a pubbie to care about winning until he or, well, *he*, let's not kid ourselves here, dies. Because since *he* was the only one who could have carried the team to victory against IMPOSSIBLE ODDS, all you chucklefucks can do is "pute bote in wround thig." :downs:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I think you'll find that the person who survives the battle the longest is the best player on the team, and doesn't need to listen to any of the players who already sunk :colbert:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 7, 2016

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

really starting to love the bayern. Kraken in a ranked match :chord:

Very much helped by the fact my team other than a very competent mutsuki ran away from the enemy including a fuso that was shooting HE at everyone :psyduck:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

I think you'll find that the person who survives the battle the longest is the best player on the team, and doesn't need to listen to any of the players who already sunk :colbert:

"ur ded stuf"
"sutf"
"fu"

*runs into an island or doesn't react to a torpedo line in time trying to type 'stfu' right, dies, quits out of the battle, goes and shits up another match*

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Honestly I do that a lot. " Why should I listen to a DEAD GUY?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Honestly, if you're going to sit around after dying in a match, spectate the 'best' player left alive on your team and be a second pair of Mark I Eyeballs for him. On the off chance he actually listens, which means don't ALL CAPS type at him, you can do fun poo poo like keep track of people trying to maneuver on him because you can spend extra time watching the minimap while he applies damage as best he can.

Of course, this means you're also probably solo-pubbing in a Wargaming game, or playing Ranked, where everyone is convinced they're an Armchair Doenitz, Nimitz, or Yamamoto-san.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yamamoto-san.

You mean they'll split their forces, lose all their carriers, and then be shot down by a P38?

Checks out for the average pub.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just lost a certain win because a Colorado and a Konig were so desperate to sink a Ranger that had no planes left they let a Schors that gave them 90 seconds worth of 11km broadsides burn one of them down, and then get a third cap point just in time for a points win. In 4 minutes of chasing the stationary Ranger hiding behind an island, neither of them ever had an open shot at it.

e: Then again, sometimes it's better to get that daily a couple battles later when the Yorck, just, works.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 7, 2016

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Do you folks hang out in Discord or in Mumble these days? Shooting boats alone with pubbies is a chore.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Reinstalled this game to give it another try because why not.

Uninstalled again. Game still terrible. It didn't help that I keep hitting R and F trying to alter my speed setting because of Steel Ocean, mind.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

NTRabbit posted:

I can't tell if you're being sincere or ironic here.

On the one hand, players who go off and get sunk early tend to be really lovely. Living longer while fighting tends to correlate with better playing. On the other hand, so often there's That Guy who goes and tries to snipe with his ship and ends up contributing nothing to the match because he was a coward. Survives until the end just because he didn't show up to play.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Is there an eu clan? Semn is us only it seems

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lakedaimon posted:

On a related note, I keep getting poo poo for going after the point the rest of the team isn't.

Which is odd because, like, I'm only one ship, so I'm not going to contribute hugely by following everyone else, and at best I cap an undefended point, at worst I spot the rest of the enemy team before they flank around, and maybe distract several of them while the rest of our team fights the rest of theirs.

I can't really see a situation where sending a single ship to screen the last point isn't a good idea?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cobbsprite posted:

I can't tell if you're being sincere or ironic here.

On the one hand, players who go off and get sunk early tend to be really lovely. Living longer while fighting tends to correlate with better playing. On the other hand, so often there's That Guy who goes and tries to snipe with his ship and ends up contributing nothing to the match because he was a coward. Survives until the end just because he didn't show up to play.

Whoosh

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

OwlFancier posted:

On a related note, I keep getting poo poo for going after the point the rest of the team isn't.

Which is odd because, like, I'm only one ship, so I'm not going to contribute hugely by following everyone else, and at best I cap an undefended point, at worst I spot the rest of the enemy team before they flank around, and maybe distract several of them while the rest of our team fights the rest of theirs.

I can't really see a situation where sending a single ship to screen the last point isn't a good idea?

If and only if you aren't feeding the enemy a ship ineffectually. If you get blatted out of existence to little gain, that's what they expect. Also if they're going the same way as the enemy an extra ship could matter.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

OwlFancier posted:

I have zero faith in the competence of randos and always assume that the one guy heading in by himself to "just poke my head in, boss" is just going to die alone, unloved and unmourned.

e: IJN DDs can get a pass here.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 7, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
sometimes you are the pubbie

and sometimes, you are a god

Not pictured: 20k commander xp from flag porn

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Thats another one of my pet peeves. Some guy on the team says "B & C" when im way closer to A. You never know what the enemy team is going to do so why not at least scout it out. Lord knows how many times ive capped that objective, or found only a weak undertiered ship going that way. And then those same dummies who wanted B & C hang back and snipe.

Just had a Standard Battle game. About 5 minutes in one flank begins to crumble. I ask everyone to go back to base. There was plenty of time to make a last stand. Nope, we only have like 6 ships now and 4 of them sail right towards the enemy base like they will somehow be able to outcap the multiple ships already in our base. Despite my team only having 4 kills (2 of which were mine), I literally had more than twice as much xp as the second place ship on my team and only one ship on the enemy team slightly beat my score.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Chat can be disabled via mods and it was a very popular topic and requested feature on the official forums in 2015 between the people that wanted to ignore Hazdocs and the people who couldn't stand to be criticized for poor play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Heartcatch posted:

Chat can be disabled via mods and it was a very popular topic and requested feature on the official forums in 2015 between the people that wanted to ignore Hazdocs and the people who couldn't stand to be criticized for poor play.

UHH RUDE?