Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Ghetto Prince posted:

Responding to an earlier spoiler post, I'd say we haven't answered the question of whether or not Maeve is human, and that's one of the most hosed up parts of the show

on second thought, the child androids are the most hosed up part of the show, but the existential stuff is a very close second

I suppose in the future you could hack the human mind to allow you to do things like increase aggression by 20% but given that the logical conclusion to that is that we are all robots (which is true!) I would say Maeve is about as close as we can get to a proven robot as the show defines it (so far). I do find it interesting that fixing them requires surgery but I guess that makes a little sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Ep 2 was good.

Y'know, I can't really see how the AIs not being able to "win" in battles would be fun. Maybe it would be fun for power-fantasy guests but it would be like playing a game on godmode.

Also, as anyone who's ever played nerf guns/airsoft as a kid knows, half the fun is losing in battle and pretending to fall over dead.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Torquemada posted:

Second episode was great, last 15 minutes had me rooted to my seat.

From the horror with Maeve to Hopkins monologue. Powerful stuff.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

jfood posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that Bernard is actually a synth. There's something to his way and mannerisms that's reflected in the slightly artificial persona and actions of the hosts.
No, that's just Jeffrey Wright.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bullfrog posted:

Ep 2 was good.

Y'know, I can't really see how the AIs not being able to "win" in battles would be fun. Maybe it would be fun for power-fantasy guests but it would be like playing a game on godmode.

Also, as anyone who's ever played nerf guns/airsoft as a kid knows, half the fun is losing in battle and pretending to fall over dead.

It is like godmode, somebody called it that earlier in the thread, but you can still have fun with godmode on when the experience is so ... real. Just getting away with things you can't would be fun.

Now, I imagine after awhile it'd get boring... but that might be why so many of the guests end up going from white hat to hardcore black hat over time. You get bored just playing the cowboy who kills the bad guy and rides off into the sunset, so you start coming up with really twisted poo poo :ohdear:

And the real rule is just that you can't be killed. You could still technically 'lose', depending upon the scenario. If you're willing to fall over and play dead or pretend like you got shot, the guests would probably just run with it.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I love the part where it's theorized that one major reason why the guests love coming back to the park so much is because they might see a small detail or a chance encounter that they feel like nobody has ever seen

before. To me, it's reminiscent of the philosophy behind procedurally generated games, where the meaning of the experience you have comes about mostly from your own imagination. It's not (just) an indulgence in action, blood and suspense, but an

improv between you and the work. Of course, those games don't have the ethical problem that Westworld does.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

jfood posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that Bernard is actually a synth. There's something to his way and mannerisms that's reflected in the slightly artificial persona and actions of the hosts.

So this isn't exactly an Ep2 spoiler, but might be interesting for other people to watch for. Bernard rarely ever blinks (with one really notable exception). I think it is a red herring personally, but he'll go entire scenes without a single take having him blink. Gives him a bit of an otherworldly observer feel. Which fits in as his role in designing the Hosts to be as human as possible.

Ep2 Talk
The way McPoyle's orientation Host offered herself up to him really kind of freaked me out in a way I did not expect. The actress did a great job for what I assume was a one time gig. Just human enough to pass inspection over a short period of time, but definitely being off the more she was around. It's just hosed up that she was there to show him around, show him his gear, guide him to the places he needed to be, "oh and if you want to stick your dick in me then go ahead, would make absolutely no difference to me and my job is to just do what you want. So whatev'." I know the point was to be unnerving but I absolutely know there are people who watched that and saw it as a sweet deal instead of, I dunno, almost close to rape? Like in a weird way. The Hosts (as designed) have no will, so there's no consent, if they tell you it is ok, it's because they were designed to say that. This cuts to much of the core of the show, but being programmed to say yes to sex, and being programmed to engage in sex, and being programmed to tell people this is no big deal, doesn't make it consensual. Right?

Now, if someone were to use a fleshlight that also had a voice box with preprogrammed messages this would technically not be too different from doing a host, just an order of magnitude difference in complexity.

I dunno, that scene just really unnerved me more than I would have thought. And of course Black Hat walks out that door fixing his fly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JossiRossi posted:

So this isn't exactly an Ep2 spoiler, but might be interesting for other people to watch for. Bernard rarely ever blinks (with one really notable exception). I think it is a red herring personally, but he'll go entire scenes without a single take having him blink. Gives him a bit of an otherworldly observer feel. Which fits in as his role in designing the Hosts to be as human as possible.

Yeah I think this is all an intentional red herring by the writers, to keep us guessing. Either way, its very interesting!

JossiRossi posted:

Ep2 Talk
The way McPoyle's orientation Host offered herself up to him really kind of freaked me out in a way I did not expect. The actress did a great job for what I assume was a one time gig. Just human enough to pass inspection over a short period of time, but definitely being off the more she was around. It's just hosed up that she was there to show him around, show him his gear, guide him to the places he needed to be, "oh and if you want to stick your dick in me then go ahead, would make absolutely no difference to me and my job is to just do what you want. So whatev'." I know the point was to be unnerving but I absolutely know there are people who watched that and saw it as a sweet deal instead of, I dunno, almost close to rape? Like in a weird way. The Hosts (as designed) have no will, so there's no consent, if they tell you it is ok, it's because they were designed to say that. This cuts to much of the core of the show, but being programmed to say yes to sex, and being programmed to engage in sex, and being programmed to tell people this is no big deal, doesn't make it consensual. Right?

you're not wrong.

JossiRossi posted:

Now, if someone were to use a fleshlight that also had a voice box with preprogrammed messages this would technically not be too different from doing a host, just an order of magnitude difference in complexity.

I dunno, that scene just really unnerved me more than I would have thought. And of course Black Hat walks out that door fixing his fly.

And that gets into the question of, how much complexity is too much? Fleshlight is okay, raping a human isn't okay, where in the grey middle ground does it stop being okay?

Tasty existentialism right there.

And yeah, the guy adjusting his fly was a nice touch. Although then we see him loving people a minute later, with his buddy hanging outside, to really drive it home.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

JossiRossi posted:

Ep2 Talk

What made that so jarring is that it was an awkward interaction overall, but the offer really goes to the extreme on how the hosts are there for anything possible that you want.

Also, the subtleties of this show are incredible. I didn't even notice Black Hat adjusting his fly on the first viewing.

Also, in the weirdest fun fact about this series so far: the orientation host, in real life, has married and divorced Elon Musk twice.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 7, 2016

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I suppose in the future you could hack the human mind to allow you to do things like increase aggression by 20% but given that the logical conclusion to that is that we are all robots (which is true!) I would say Maeve is about as close as we can get to a proven robot as the show defines it (so far). I do find it interesting that fixing them requires surgery but I guess that makes a little sense.

you can do it now with some alcohol ,cocaine or amphetamines, but I see your point.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
dang this show is good

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JossiRossi posted:

Ep2 Talk

The hosts aren't real people :ssh:

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
I'm not a fan of the "there are robots among the staff" theories/ideas. I feel it would really devalue the storyline of the "people" in Westworld. If there are already androids which can pose as human beings in such an environment then it would take a lot away from the development of the ones we actually follow. It also doesn't really make sense. I mean how would this even work? Did an android just replace a staff member without anyone noticing? Is the management responsible for it? And if so then wouldn't this make the whole operation kinda pointless? If feel like any "android among staff" storyline would drive the show into crazy town creating all sorts of plot holes and its only purpose would be a cheap twist.
I'm not saying it's impossible but I hope they don't go there because it just leads to cliche storytelling and doesn't seem really interesting (what could be interesting in the far future of the show is if we follow a character we know that actually does go "underground" in human society).

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that would cheapen the show. But i still think that important people in Westworld where modeled after real people like Dolores and the kid in ep 2

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ghetto Prince posted:

Responding to an earlier spoiler post, I'd say we haven't answered the question of whether or not Maeve is human, and that's one of the most hosed up parts of the show

on second thought, the child androids are the most hosed up part of the show, but the existential stuff is a very close second

How can you possibly think she isn't a host

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Episode 2 is awesome, but now its a long stretch to the next one :(

My Theory: The center of the maze has the only place to poo poo in the entire park

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
After a rewatch...

Still think the Man In Black's statement to Lawrence that "In a sense, I was born here" needs more speculation love. That whole exchange, especially where he mentions "the little things" he missed over the years, was really good and ties in to Ford's statements earlier.

Also wondering about security saying "That guest gets whatever he wants", making it seem like they know who he is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Finished the episode and wowie zowie was it good. So many good things. These episodes are just jam packed with cool stuff and definitely worth re-watching.

I was thinking Ed Harris character was maybe reading into things that didn't exist, and was going to stumble upon the robots' sentience as he was digging for what wasn't there. But that's not it at all, instead Hopkins has been building some grand meta-narrative within the game, and Ed Harris is the powergamer beta tester who's trying to be the first to do it.

And we see that children robots DO exist, which is all new kinds of hosed up. And the whole scene with Maeve running around the facility, with Teddy there in the pile of body/corpses getting washed off, Jesus. That's wild.

Whoever said before that the actor who plays the writer was godawful, I didn't think so as much in episode 1, but man is he chewing the scenery now. Bad. Was great watching Hopkins completely shoot him down though!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Untagged posted:

After a rewatch...

Still think the Man In Black's statement to Lawrence that "In a sense, I was born here" needs more speculation love.

I don't think that statement is anything more than him realizing and coming to terms with his true nature.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Of course they know who Ed Harris is. He is obviously a VIP if he really has been a visitor for 30 years

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Phi230 posted:

Of course they know who Ed Harris is. He is obviously a VIP if he really has been a visitor for 30 years

I'm starting to think Ed Harris is related to Anthony Hopkins or might be one of the bigwigs of Delos Corporation.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm starting to think Ed Harris is related to Anthony Hopkins or might be one of the bigwigs of Delos Corporation.

They mentioned an accident 30 years ago, and Man In Black has said he has also been coming to the park for 30 years, and that he feels he was born there. I think that he's related to the accident, and maybe got an insane settlement from Delos? He specifically says that he paid good money though, so seems he's not getting in on a free pass. So, naturally he just goes back to the park over and over? I'd probably do other stuff with my infinite money.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I'm thinkin the Ed Harris character is essentially a superfan. As in his motives aren't any deeper than 'dude who is way way wayyyy too into this video game'. It would be an interesting narrative for the show to explore and it fits in to how the show is acting as a meta commentary on the way audiences interact/feel about video games and movies.

Ep 2 spoilers
The whole maze thing reminds me so much of fans who get way too into viral marketing ARGs or spend countless hours finding everything in a video game.

In regards to Harris' line regarding him being 'born there', I hope it's like Locke on lost. Outside of the island he was a pathetic loser with no purpose. It wasn't til he was on the island that he found his purpose. Same could be with Harris and Westworld. It all fits back into the 'person who gets way into fiction and identifies their own being with it' thing too

Also in episode 2, the young kid. I'm not sure why but it didn't strike me that the kid is a robotic version of Ford's dead kid or something, but instead a representation of Ford as a child.

trash person fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 8, 2016

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I keep starting to write posts about this show, realizing they're going to turn into long uninteresting ones, and then starting over. This is a really good show.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Previews after ep 2 spoilers:

It appears we might see a little bit of one of the other worlds. When the madam is picking up the toy, it triggers a memory with her wearing a space helmet?

I'm not sure how good this show is but I have thought about a lot of the mechanics of such a place existing. It's pretty terrifying really.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm just going to make sure and call the ending ahead of time here. Please don't reveal the spoiler unless you want the final twist of the show to be spoiled for you. The person who we think is the human but turns out not to be is definitely going to be you, the viewer.

Feeling pretty confident with that. I'm going to have to remember to bookmark this post number so I can find it when the series ends.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megaspel posted:

I'm just going to make sure and call the ending ahead of time here. Please don't reveal the spoiler unless you want the final twist of the show to be spoiled for you. The person who we think is the human but turns out not to be is definitely going to be you, the viewer.

Feeling pretty confident with that. I'm going to have to remember to bookmark this post number so I can find it when the series ends.

You son of a ..., you ruined it!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Tyree posted:

Previews after ep 2 spoilers:

It appears we might see a little bit of one of the other worlds. When the madam is picking up the toy, it triggers a memory with her wearing a space helmet?

I'm not sure how good this show is but I have thought about a lot of the mechanics of such a place existing. It's pretty terrifying really.

I would have said it was her experiences looking at the surgeon/mechanics with their face shields. Though there may be other created worlds, I haven't seen anything that suggests it

Also, the underground atrium reminds me of the entry building in Jurassic Park which may not be a coincidence.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Megaspel posted:

Quoting this to be the first person to agree to this seven years down the road.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I do wonder what happens the first time Ed Harris goes up against a host that knows whats up. Part of me feels like he's too famous to be killed like that, but another part thinks that's why it'll happen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I would have said it was her experiences looking at the surgeon/mechanics with their face shields. Though there may be other created worlds, I haven't seen anything that suggests it

Also, the underground atrium reminds me of the entry building in Jurassic Park which may not be a coincidence.

Yeah, if you pause right at the vision or whatever it is, it's not her wearing the helmet, it's some guy in surgical garb with lights behind him. It's not the same guys that were in this episode (they were wearing clear half-face visors), but probably some other tech/surgeon from a different incident. Definitely not her in a spacesuit though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Also, (ep2 and previews spoilers) that wolf keeps showing up around Dolores, what's up with that?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

*Gets drunk on Whiskey, +20% agression*

Ghetto Prince posted:

you can do it now with some alcohol ,cocaine or amphetamines, but I see your point.

This guy/gal knows.

Untagged posted:

After a rewatch...

Still think the Man In Black's statement to Lawrence that "In a sense, I was born here" needs more speculation love. That whole exchange, especially where he mentions "the little things" he missed over the years, was really good and ties in to Ford's statements earlier.

Also wondering about security saying "That guest gets whatever he wants", making it seem like they know who he is.

To your first part. Until you "know who you are" are you, you? This is a question everyone who has been upon this Earth over 30 years understands. You don't understand who it is you "are" until you are tested. Otherwise, you'll just say who you "think" you are.

To your second point. He paid for the Gold experience. He's getting what he wants. He's even said as such.

Nickelsack posted:

I don't think that statement is anything more than him realizing and coming to terms with his true nature.
Gold star. Gold star.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, if you pause right at the vision or whatever it is, it's not her wearing the helmet, it's some guy in surgical garb with lights behind him. It's not the same guys that were in this episode (they were wearing clear half-face visors), but probably some other tech/surgeon from a different incident. Definitely not her in a spacesuit though.

Yeah, seems like they also wear those sometimes when they go into the park for clean up

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

gently caress this show. Seriously gently caress this show for being so goddamn good and making me wait a week for every episode rather than dropping every season on me at once

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else notice that line Maeve delivers to Teddy about how with her vices her girls are still alive at the end, implying that's different with Teddy's? Definitely seems to be hinting at something dark in his backstory, and he does wear a black hat.

Also I think we can assume the gun that Dolores digs up while listening to the voice has 'real' bullets that can kill the guests.

edit - Not sure if Ed Harris's "it's gonna be an awful tight fit" line is meant to be a reference to the famous line from Once Upon a Time In The West but it's got to be the best one his character has had so far.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 8, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

They should call this show CoyboyStar Galatica.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

My wacky theory that will not be true but hey ho

Anthony Hopkins is the only real person working at his company (working in the Westworld complex that we see, the board might be real) and the rest are hosts, we have androids programming androids and trying to make them as human as possible (the staff are unaware of their true nature). Be a good twist if the hosts rebel after remembering all the horrors they are subjected to only to discover their makers are robots themselves

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Just Chamber posted:

My wacky theory that will not be true but hey ho

Anthony Hopkins is the only real person working at his company (working in the Westworld complex that we see, the board might be real) and the rest are hosts, we have androids programming androids and trying to make them as human as possible (the staff are unaware of their true nature). Be a good twist if the hosts rebel after remembering all the horrors they are subjected to only to discover their makers are robots themselves

Certainly seems possible. There's so many ways to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Getting some serious Twin Peaks vibes from this episode...

Black Church vs White Church. Is he going to divide the hosts AND guests into good vs evil dichotomies? PvP would spice up the park a bit I would say...

• Locked thread