Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Sir Lucius posted:

I understand if you have years left and have to drink some kool aid to make the pain go away. But getting rid of rates with no transition period was a horrible idea. Like, it's embarrassing how bad an idea it is, and pretty much makes me lose all confidence in the decision making capabilities of the navy.

That is again what makes me go "what". Normally, the navy does weeks and years of research before literally coughing. I mean for the gay changes, they had weeks of change. But for this bullshit, it was lol get wrecked we remove rates with no plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
The more information I see the more convinced I am that this was forced on the Navy by SECNAV without buy-in by the CNO.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

heh if you were out you wouldn't have any reason to care

Sucks for you scrubs

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

The more information I see the more convinced I am that this was forced on the Navy by SECNAV without buy-in by the CNO.

So rates to return in 4 months then?

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

heh if you were out you wouldn't have any reason to care

Sucks for you scrubs

Makes me so glad for my blue ID card.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

So rates to return in 4 months then?

As well as the announcement of the shittiest ship to sail the seas, named after Mabus, primarily compiled of ropes, sheet metal, and chewed bubble gum.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Eh, Mabus did some cool poo poo.

Remember when the Navy decided that new born children should have a parent around for a while and the Navy was going to support that?

That was pretty cool.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I think the gay, women, and transgender changes were all good and welcomed by most. This change doesn't even make sense from a political correctness motivation. It was a dumb idea last week, and as dumb ideas go I usually just say gently caress it and end up accepting them. But somehow it's an even dumber idea this week. I just see there being years of confusion until they work their poo poo out, if not an entire decade. I predict most enlisted to still be refering to themselves as a series of letters 2 years from now.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Boon posted:

Eh, Mabus did some cool poo poo.

Remember when the Navy decided that new born children should have a parent around for a while and the Navy was going to support that?

That was pretty cool.

Yeah, on the whole Mabus made a lot of good changes.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
The reactors just needed more power...

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Lucius posted:

I think the gay, women, and transgender changes were all good and welcomed by most. This change doesn't even make sense from a political correctness motivation. It was a dumb idea last week, and as dumb ideas go I usually just say gently caress it and end up accepting them. But somehow it's an even dumber idea this week. I just see there being years of confusion until they work their poo poo out, if not an entire decade. I predict most enlisted to still be refering to themselves as a series of letters 2 years from now.

One good thing has come of this change. A week of snarky email signatures incorporating NOS codes until a good balance was found with what the command will accept. My email signature now has a solid Loveshack by the B-52's reference in it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

We've been calling our poor instructors by their full title and everyone is getting a little tired of all the extra syllables.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
I honestly never really minded it. I guess if you cross-rate, you don't put your entire identity on a job title.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I work at a place that is strictly first names only, so I haven't really had to deal with the effects of the change, aside from altering our outgoing correspondence. But yeah, it's looking like something is very wrong at the top with how this is being implemented.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Minority report: some of the best changes to have ever come to the Navy happened more or less like this. Zumwalt's beards, beer on ships, kicking the then two century old tradition of wearing full dress uniform to every meal, it all happened with him pushing the "NAVADMIN" button in his office without telling anyone outside of his immediate staff. Putting chiefs in khaki got unironic opposition in congress. Big Z once said that if there's a change you want to make and it's 60/40 for/against, "do it and see how loud the screaming is".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Zumwalt was the best CNO ever for bluejackets and unless someone basically hides that part of themselves long enough to slip under the radar to the top spot we'll never see someone like him again.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I love reading Zumwalt poo poo in here what a saint

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Zumwalt was cool, but a lot of his stuff was quality of life improvements. How is your life better now that rates are gone?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sir Lucius posted:

Zumwalt was cool, but a lot of his stuff was quality of life improvements. How is your life better now that rates are gone?

Gray Matter posted:

Silver lining in the rate change: IYAOYAS no longer applicable

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sir Lucius posted:

If it really gives an easier path than crossrating for people to get new jobs then it fixes a metric fuckton of enlisted retention problems. If you can pick up an NOS like an NEC then there are a lot more opportunities for people to rotate to shore commands and in some cases just stay in the navy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Like all the blah blah about tradition is dumb. MML has some very valid complaints with lack of communication and implementation directives. In the end, though, if this makes it easier for people to stay in then it's a net positive for the good of the fleet and will have a tremendous impact on morale.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think it's gonna be a painful mess for the next shortwhile but will be fine soon enough and I think it's a great idea altogether

Ya they could have not blindsided everyone and had a smoother transition but everyone would still bitch about "mah traditions!" So idk :shrug:

As someone that's not in I find it pretty hilarious to watch from the sidelines. People freaking the gently caress out

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
I think this about sums up how nukes feel about this whole rate thing.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

The Navy Times posted:

The Navy’s overwhelmingly unpopular decision to eliminate its time-honored job titles was conceived and advocated by its former top enlisted sailor who, with the backing of its top two admirals, pushed for the controversial change despite having gathered very little input from the rank-and-file personnel principally affected, Navy Times has learned.

Ultimately, the decision was made by Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, whom multiple sources described as eager to announce the new policy before his impending departure after more than seven years atop the the sea service. Mabus, the first to broadcast this new policy Sept. 29, was motivated by a fervent desire to promote gender neutrality across the Navy and the Marine Corps, which he also oversees. He was presented with four options for removing the word “man” from nearly two dozen job titles — what the Navy calls ratings — and opted for the most extreme option.

Article

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Still going to do the same job, who cares

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

If it really gives an easier path than crossrating for people to get new jobs then it fixes a metric fuckton of enlisted retention problems. If you can pick up an NOS like an NEC then there are a lot more opportunities for people to rotate to shore commands and in some cases just stay in the navy.

"If"

What is their plan to implement this cross training system? As far as I can tell there is no plan. So you can have more than one NOS? Why not just make a plan to have more than one rate and leave rates alone?

That would have required work, discussion, actual implementation outside a closed door. Instead we get sweeping changes to inflate the ego of a lame duck secnav. As the details of this come to light it's becoming more and more clear that the Navy has no loving clue what they're doing. I can't believe they let us have nuclear weapons.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Didn't they already start a pilot program for easier cross-rating a few months back? Something about if there was a reasonable similarity/need between your actual assigned duties and another NEC, you could go to school to pick it up? The petty officer change might benefit some of the people who work for me in that case. Ashore they perform the duties of a YN with a special NEC, at sea they're actually ISs. I'd love to be able to send them to a quick school so they can have two NOSs instead of one NEC that usually doesn't describe what they actually do.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

"If"

What is their plan to implement this cross training system? As far as I can tell there is no plan. So you can have more than one NOS? Why not just make a plan to have more than one rate and leave rates alone?

That would have required work, discussion, actual implementation outside a closed door. Instead we get sweeping changes to inflate the ego of a lame duck secnav. As the details of this come to light it's becoming more and more clear that the Navy has no loving clue what they're doing. I can't believe they let us have nuclear weapons.

You'll see it take effect about the time you're retiring and after Mabus dies as one last "gently caress you" to him from the service.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
According to the current events thread, the USS Mason had something shot at it from Yemen.

The statement totally makes it seem like they noticed right away. Suuure.

Really poo poo that the rebels have enough missile stock to lob them....and the oth targeting capability to determine military ships from civilian.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Laranzu posted:

According to the current events thread, the USS Mason had something shot at it from Yemen.

Really poo poo that the rebels have enough missile stock to lob them....and the oth targeting capability to determine military ships from civilian.

They were using an etch-a-sketch and telescope.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Laranzu posted:

Gulf of Tonkin 2

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Welp, power just came back on after 2 days since the tip of the hurricane blasted Virginia Beach. Just in time too, I was so bored I was polishing the laminate floors in my house.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

? Moved into a beach rental on dam neck and other than blown down trees, swampy grass and siding ripped off is relatively normal.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Well yeah, while you were there, 10,000+ people were without power for 48+ hours. This place is hosed up, man.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I went 5 days without during hermine and some people over a week. loving sucks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yikes sorry man.

sweg420blazeit
Oct 11, 2016
Sup gents. I'm currently applying for the Navy's NUPOC program. It's not a done deal by any means, I haven't even done interviews yet.

Found this thread through a google search, and I've been reading through its 157 pages for a couple of days now (there's some serious knowledge in here!!!). It's been nice to see the side of the Navy that isn't on a brochure or in a recruiter fairy tale.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It seems you've made two poor life choices

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Got my packet submitted for the November Pilot/NFO board, now I've just gotta hurry up and wait for December to hear the results! :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Cool you have a couple months to get a real job and forgo this retard parade

• Locked thread