Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Mace Bacon posted:

Shout has that great cover of Are you Experienced

valid

Mace Bacon posted:

Total Devo has Some Things Never Change

I'd Cry If You Died and Plain Truth are all right too

Mace Bacon posted:

Post Post-Modern Man . . . the only good song from that album)

if you strain real hard, Devo Has Feelings Too kinda sounds like a reworked Q&A-era song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Too lazy to take pics myself but I now am the proud owner of this thing.

https://twitter.com/radiohead/status/781131694514565120

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
poo poo I started doing the discog thing and I'm just disgusted with myself for a) actually filling out my collection on discog and b) the money spent so far and I've only just done about through the letter B so far

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Mace Bacon posted:

Also blame Gerry for any DEVO nonsense, he's the one who made "Don't Roof Rack Me Bro" and agreed to donate some profits of Whip it to PeTA.
I think my favorite Gerry is a loving Dick moments was watching the Residents' Theory of Obscurity documentary and Jerry talks about how Devo started off anonymously and was eventually sunk by Mark's desire to be a front man and the trademark goggle glasses and if it were up to Jerry, Devo would have stayed anonymous fake robot people. Cut to three months later and Gerry was all over the news for having a 9/11-themed wedding with 9/11 cakes and individually engraved box cutters as a gift for each guest.

Gerry is a loving dick.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

This thread is why I picked up the B Stiff EP with very little knowledge of Devo

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gerry has always been bitter that Mark was seen as the face of the band. It's kind of amazing that they have continually gotten back together for tours (though it sounds like that's over). He's always quick to point out how he sang lead on many of the studio tracks, and the only reason Mark would sing more live is because Gerry couldn't play and sing at the same time very well. He clings on to the early 70s iteration of Devo as if they ever would have gotten anywhere without Mark's direction. I personally like Gerry's musical influence on the band much more than Mark's, but there's no denying that they probably wouldn't have gotten out of Kent State without him coming on.

Though to be fair, some of Mark's actions come across as pretty selfish. Supposedly around 2010 he "agreed" to commission an official documentary about the band, but under the condition that a couple old friends of his make it. When Gerry didn't agree, he threatened them with ending the deal to make Something For Everybody. Ultimately that documentary never got made and now there's a different documentary sitting completed (it was a kickstarter project), but Mark won't give his blessing to have it released. Of course you only hear Gerry's side these days because Mark stays quiet, so take that with a grain of salt.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I did not expect a recent pressing of Toto IV to have any sort of value but discog lists it at $55. :psyduck:

edit: oh yeah https://www.discogs.com/user/wordyrappinghood/collection

took a bit of the day and I need to fix some but there you go, hope you like dad rock

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 2, 2016

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I haven't done one of these... ever, at least on this site.

MF Doom - ]Operation: Doomsday
[Kanye West - The College Dropout - was curious if the mix was any different. snagged it for a buck
Hamilton Bohannon - Bohannon Disco Symphony
Angel Olsen - My Woman
Crystal Castles - Amnesty (I)
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Preoccupations - Preoccupations
Touché Amoré - Stage Four
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise - Original pressing with the "I Got A" track missing from future pressings
Anti-Flag - Mobilize
Glass Animals - How To Be A Human Being

Jerry Harris - I'm For You...I'm For Me
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
The Colson Unity Troup - No Reservation
Liquid Liquid - Optimo
Lord Laro - Yu Have Fe Dread
Mary Jane Girls - Mary Jane Girls

Daryl Hall John Oates - Rock 'N Soul Part 1
Cosmic Machine: The Sequel: A Voyage Across French Cosmic & Electronic Avantgarde 70s-80s
Terence Trent D'Arby - Introducing The Hardline According To Terence Trent D'Arby - This one came as padding for the cosmic machine record.
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

edit: oh yeah https://www.discogs.com/user/wordyrappinghood/collection

took a bit of the day and I need to fix some but there you go, hope you like dad rock

Very similar to mine, minus my love for hair metal. Also you have more Queen.

If you like that Elvis Costello album then This Year's Model and Armed Forces are must haves.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Two cool finds today, the Sorcerer soundtrack by Tangerine Dream and the Eyes of Laura Mars soundtrack, both from a record dealer booth at an antique mall.

FInally a soundtrack somebody should actually buy

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I heard you guys like video game soundtracks?

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Oh neat, Discogs now shows me a "collection value range," so I see in black and white about how much I've pissed away on this hobby.

Oh god no

https://www.discogs.com/user/DrHolmesPhD/collection

I've been trying to find more of those Louisville Orchestra commission records, it's a pretty neat concept

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I thought about adding my collection to Discogs but I already spent so much time looking at matrix numbers on runouts when finding values for a huge lot I bought. I never want to go through that again, even if technically I'd only have to do it once and then from then on just whenever I buy a handful of records.

But I guess technically if you only want a list of what you own you can ignore the exact pressing you have and just enter the albums.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I don't have a huge collection yet, but I should probably at least have a list of my albums that I can access on my phone. Already had a few instances of buying an album I already had, or passing on one that I thought I had.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I decided to re-bag my collection and keep the records behind the outside sleeve and at that point i figured I might as well catalog it. I've saved myself from rebuying a few things and was able to upgrade the condition on some by having that list handy.

But if it wasn't for bagging I wouldn't bother.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I think I started cataloging up to Classic Rock "B" and sorta lost interest. Plus I had a bunch of un-filed poo poo. Maybe I'll enter them in as I buy them? Haha. Who am I kidding.

This weekend's haul.

Technically not from this weekend. Was browsing Amazon bored a few weeks ago and the Highwaymen was $7 and Leon Bridges was $11.

Weird seeing Stoner Witch with a Third Man label. Kinda a lovely pressing though. there are some raised bumps in the grooves. Been looking for Budgie for a minute. Found a copy for $16 and jumped on it. You get what you pay for. Lots of surface noise and some skips but pretty playable. What it is box set from an insound sale. 25 funky 45's.

Reissues galore. Charles Bradley scene on Luke Cage reminded me I should have some of his stuff.

Where the Buffalo Roam OST. Some pretty terrible Neil Young stuff, Bill Murry singing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and not enough dialog from the film. Oh well it was $5. For some reason I thought Quasimoto was out of print and hard to find. Guess not. Happy to finally add it to the collection.

Selling some old black metal records from years ago helped me with my purchases.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 4, 2016

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Got my package from Ninja Tune. There's Machinedrum Human Energy limited white marble vinyl, Bonobo Days To Come and Run The Jewels the first one as the European deluxe edition with clear green splatter vinyl.

The Machinedrum album is amazing. I seriously recommend it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Light in the Attic just put up the pre-orders on their Camberwell Now (Charles Hayward's band after This Heat broke up) releases a couple of minutes ago. Color variants limited to 400 on both The Ghost Trade and the EP collection:

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/2601-the-ep-collection
http://lightintheattic.net/releases/2600-the-ghost-trade

Oh yeah, already posted online for nearly double what the label wants. :hehe:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/9121681?ev=rb
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/9121716?ev=rb

Cabernet Sovereign
Jun 14, 2008
Any record stores in Berlin worth checking out? Close to city center is a plus.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
If any of y'all order records through Amazon or their 3rd party sellers, I'm going to suggest that you stay away from "beaches_entertainment"

terrible shipping and customer service.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
beaches_entertainment has made a powerful enemy

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Haha nah they just looked like a big one and thought I'd throw it out there :shrug:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

For any fans of The Caretaker, An Empty Bliss Beyond This World repress is going on sale tomorrow (oct 6th) at https://www.boomkat.com . Its been repressed a few times and every iterations selling for a hundo plus on discogs.

flubber nuts fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 6, 2016

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
An Empty Bliss is outright fantastic, as is every other Caretaker record and pretty much everything Leyland Kirby released under his own name. Most of Kirby's output is streamable on his Bandcamp, but his stuff always sounds fantastic on wax since they're cut and mastered by Lupo at D&M. Plus his sleeve art is invariably excellent. You really can't go wrong, although An Empty Bliss is definitely the most approachable album he ever made.

Collecting his stuff sure can be a disastrously expensive habit, though. I was lucky and managed to get hooked on his stuff right around the time that he started History Always Favours The Winners and pressing limited runs on colored vinyl, but getting his oldest stuff on wax kicked my bank account square in the dick.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I've been mashing refresh since midnight (central us here) and still no listing. They usually sell out within hours of dropping too so a nights snooze could mean missing out.

After all, the sublime is disappointingly elusive.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sublime sucks

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Cabernet Sovereign posted:

Any record stores in Berlin worth checking out? Close to city center is a plus.

hard wax

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

I've been mashing refresh since midnight (central us here) and still no listing. They usually sell out within hours of dropping too so a nights snooze could mean missing out.

After all, the sublime is disappointingly elusive.

live now, limited to 250 copies, go go go:

https://boomkat.com/products/an-empty-bliss-beyond-this-world

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blind buy for me as people seem to think a big deal of it, and shipping rate to the US was really reasonable. Looking forward to checking out the MP3 now.

E: oh crazy, might have got the last color copy in stock or the site knows I've bought already and is just stopping me from getting it again (wasn't trying that, I promise!)

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
nope, it's definitely sold out; he posted a link on his FB page 25 minutes ago and commenters are already complaining about it being gone. repress of his new album should be landing in a few weeks if anyone's interested:

https://boomkat.com/products/everywhere-at-the-end-of-time

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Blind buy for me as people seem to think a big deal of it, and shipping rate to the US was really reasonable. Looking forward to checking out the MP3 now.

Yeah I grabbed a copy of it based on the description alone and its reputation, and squeaked into the colored version. :getin:

Edit I didn't create an account when I checked out and I don't see any way to access the MP3 version. Am I missing something?

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 6, 2016

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Oh snap, woke up just in time to grab a colored copy. The standard edition is still available for anyone interested.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The Protest the Hero Pacific Myth EP preorder is available for Bandcamp subscribers. There's a colored 12 inch version and a 6x10 inch boxset with each track and instrumental on its own record.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

https://mondotees.com/products/luke-cage-original-soundtrack-2xlp-pre-order

The show was pretty good but the music really stood out. Pretty stoked to see this getting released so quickly.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So the Stranger Things OST is coming out as a 4-LP box set. I liked the soundtrack a bit but am struggling to figure out how they can fill up four records with the score. It was basically opening theme, like, three or four John Carpenter-esque incidental synth songs and... that's it? Or are they including the songs they licensed in the show? I didn't see anything indicating that's what they did.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There are two volumes of it on iTunes et al already. Check em out. If you can't tell the difference between tracks you might be happy with just volume 1, if you feel a need to buy it at all.

Cabernet Sovereign
Jun 14, 2008

Thanks for the recomendation. I could have spent a day in that shop. Kreuzberg is pretty dang neat.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
If you like chill music Minority Records has the Samorost 3 soundtrack by Floex up for preorder. Like the Macninarium soundtrack it'll come with some neat art reproductions.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Need horror film soundtrack recommendations stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
anything by david carpenter