Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Maybe they can finally make the cancelled LORD OF THE CLANS into a movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNFrbpOSTE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
Warcraft's shots are too quick and it's editing is horrible.

Travis Filmmel is trying to replicate his Vikings performance, but again, the camera work is poo poo.

I'm enjoying the movie though because I know the original vanilla campaign like the back of my hand.

Costumes and sets are excellent BTW, and so are the CGI characters.

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 10, 2016

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Vanderdeath posted:

Canonically, the Azeroth side of the Portal is supposed to be just as big but they probably didn't want to make the resources for it in Vanilla and it just stuck.

it's a good technical innovation. I remember older games where if the portals/teleporters/etc weren't exactly the same size on both sides the game couldn't work out where to put you and you died :(

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Vanderdeath posted:

Canonically, the Azeroth side of the Portal is supposed to be just as big but they probably didn't want to make the resources for it in Vanilla and it just stuck.

All this is dumb though, because canonically Medivh opened the Dark Portal in a swamp while being attacked by a bunch of magical time warped dragons lead by big dragon boss whose name is suspiciously the same name of a different dragon boss only backwards, and a little gnome warlock ran around CORRUPTING them while a big blueberry ran interference so that warlock could grab the key to his magical tower and then get 10 of his friends together so he can beat up "Romulo" and "Julianne" in a big ghost opera

Also canonically that gnome warlock shows up at every other important point in Azeroth's history as well. They should make a movie about that little guy

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

but when they opened it in the good game it's just a bunch of humans standing around and the gate isn't very big.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Feldegast42 posted:

All this is dumb though, because canonically Medivh opened the Dark Portal in a swamp while being attacked by a bunch of magical time warped dragons lead by big dragon boss whose name is suspiciously the same name of a different dragon boss only backwards, and a little gnome warlock ran around CORRUPTING them while a big blueberry ran interference so that warlock could grab the key to his magical tower and then get 10 of his friends together so he can beat up "Romulo" and "Julianne" in a big ghost opera

It's been forever and a day since I've done that instance, but I think thematically what the players did there was more in the background / running interference, and while Medivh was doing his thing, he was more focused on his spell than what we were doing. Granted, it's a stupid excuse to see the opening of the Dark Portal.

Movie-related, I kinda dug how the opening of the Portal on Azeroth's side was parallel to the ground. Made it a slight bit trippier and weirder in that you couldn't just walk casually through.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

just saw this and i don't think even SMG could come up with an interpretation that makes it good

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The voice treatment for the orcs was a weird choice.

"Hey voice actor, just talk all rough and wheezy, and do it through a desk fan like your Tommy Boy doing a Darth Vader impression."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Warcraft was was released for streaming yesterday and I made the mistake of purchasing it. Thinking of asking Amazon for my money back because it is horrendously bad. Just an assault on all the senses and stupid to boot.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I bought the movie today and really enjoyed it, im not sure how much money it made but im hopeful a second is made!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The voice treatment for the orcs was a weird choice.

"Hey voice actor, just talk all rough and wheezy, and do it through a desk fan like your Tommy Boy doing a Darth Vader impression."

When Guldan is soulsucking while talking the other orcs should be "SORRY WHAT? COULD YOU SPEAK UP? DABU."

What a weird movie. The orc stuff is good, but all the human stuff was awful. Lothar acts like he's permanently hammered, the Warcraft aesthetic does not lend itself to real life armor and masonry, and while the movie can't be blamed, it's hard to take King Jesse and Queen Tulip seriously.

Even if you've played Warcraft, it's ridiculous how most of the movie is characters meeting only to talk about what location they'll go to next. And the king telling Garona to kill him in order to save him, gently caress me. That's some contrived bullshit.

edit: wait, Travis Fimmel is Australian? From his bizarre accent, I figured he was Polish or something. At one point he turns the words "our priority" into a single, long sylable.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 30, 2016

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey uh if you guys got Hearthstone promo codes with the movie purchase and don't give a crap about that game, well, I could put one of those to use.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

davidspackage posted:

edit: wait, Travis Fimmel is Australian? From his bizarre accent, I figured he was Polish or something. At one point he turns the words "our priority" into a single, long sylable.

The whole film I was convinced he was Scandinavian. Since he's in Vikings I guess he's just doing the accent he does in that?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

They should do an Arthas movie next

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looke posted:

They should do an Arthas movie next

Seeing that every single human was miscast I sure hope they never touch this again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Doing an Arthas movie right would be a singularly depressing experience for the audience. Take a noble paladin/Prince archetype, subject him to multiple cases of terrible poo poo, and watch his inner Pride crack the dude's mind into doing terribler and terribler things. All the while the evil force he's trying to stop is laughing at him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Will there be a scene of him killing children in Stratholme?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The next Warcraft movie should skip ahead to Mists of Pandaria, the best expansion

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The next movie is just an hour and a half CGI render of a decent raid group that wipes at the final boss several times until they call it a night.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The next movie will be direct to DVD with Chinese actors cause nobody saw it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Macaluso posted:

The next Warcraft movie should skip ahead to Mists of Pandaria, the best expansion

ummm beyond the dark portal???

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I purchased the Blu-ray off Amazon. It doesn't state whether it comes with the digital downloads for the Blizz games goodies. Can anyone confirm if all the first print Blu-rays and DVDs include these? Oh and the movie disc I guess.

Edit - gently caress phone typing

Ronnie fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 11, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Groovelord Neato posted:

ummm beyond the dark portal???

more like beyond the fart portal

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Freakazoid_ posted:

The next movie is just an hour and a half CGI render of a decent raid group that wipes at the final boss several times until they call it a night.

Finally, Uber Town gets the cinematic treatment it deserves.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Ok, mystery solved it does contain the download gifts just doesn't ruin the nice case art with promos.

Do you think I should watch the movie?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ronnie posted:

Ok, mystery solved it does contain the download gifts just doesn't ruin the nice case art with promos.

Do you like Syfy TV movies? If you do, go for it.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Finally watched this. Surprisingly enough I agree with most of the reviews: it's not great, but not terrible. While it had many flaws, it didn't have parts that were embarassingly, godawfully terrible like all the video game movies. In fact it had flashes of pretty darn good going on.

Good things: (male) orcs and dwarves. Didn't look great at first glance in trailers, but they really came to life. Khadgar, who is a terribly boring character in the games, but who here held the whole movie together. Some really sweet action moments, the kind that bad movies don't get. Effective villain. Beautiful lications. Actually held my attention.

Bad: Hectically edited story. Female orcs, particularly the half-human one looked wack. Humans' grotesque wear in general. Preacher Royal Family was badly miscast. Probably fairly hard for a casual non-gaming viewer to care about very much.

All in all I'm pretty okay with this movie. I'm wondering which I truthfully liked more, this or Episode 7, and I can't make up my mind.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ronnie posted:

LOl you're one of those loving losers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Who do you think is having a worse case of the Mondays, Garfield, or Gul Dan?

*Trying to open a portal to Outland, gets roped into a challenge with Durothar*
:byodood: "Man I don't have time for this poo poo!"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm annoyed at this utterly forgettable movie for having a legitimately interesting sequel hook.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So forgettable I forgot there was a hook. What was it?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Thrall floating down the river like Orc Moses?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

well why not posted:

The whole movie was a sequel hook. It starts in medias res with a man narrating about the blood vendetta between the Alliance and the Orcish Horde in a scene reminiscent of the opening dream sequence from Warcraft 3.

Why the hell they didn't just do a Warcraft 2 story for the movie is beyond me.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

Mr Bloodhoof, I'd like to talk about the Horde initiative...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
You know, if you drop the resolution down to 240, and add in a few artifacts, the bits with the humans would look like FMV cutscenes of a PC game from the nineties. Like if Westwood studios published Warcraft.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Vanderdeath posted:

Why the hell they didn't just do a Warcraft 2 story for the movie is beyond me.

Blizzard's core problem with this movie was that Warcraft starts with Warcraft 3, but they kinda had to do Warcraft 1 first. But Warcraft 1/2 itself doesn't really fit in with the rest of the Warcraft universe anymore, nor the story the higher ups want to tell.

The whole not-all-orcs-are-onboard-with-Guldan subplot comes straight from this. They didn't want the whiplash the games had (The orcs are horrible, evil, bloodthirsty monsters! No, wait, they were highjacked by demons and were actually Noble Savages!), but that complicates the narrative.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Now that I'm pressed, I've forgotten much of it, but the woman orc seeming to betray the humans in order to get the leadership of the horder, coupled with Ragnar thinking she's actually betrayed them and the orc warlock losing the respect of much of the horde.

It's not brilliant, but it leaves everyone in a kind of interesting place.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They should of released 2 movies, the human movie and the orc movie. Just like the first game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

No one would see the human movie because who seriously cared about the dumb human campaign when you could be burning down the world and building skull fortresses on the ruins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

No one would see the human movie because who seriously cared about the dumb human campaign when you could be burning down the world and building skull fortresses on the ruins.

Especially since the Human and Orc campaigns in the first game were antithetical to each other, and the Human one doesn't even happen, story-wise.

I think the story would've been a lot more interesting if they exclusively followed the Horde, focusing on the tragedy of the non-corrupted Orcs failing to stop the rest of their people from being monsters. We don't need to see humans being aghast at the orcs rampaging, just give us orcs being aghast at Hellscream butchering women and children. It would've made the scene where the green orcs respect the battle between White Dude and Buffed Out Orc Guy more compelling: there's still shades of goodness in the Orcs.

We didn't need the humans as protagonists. Humans aren't the protagonists in Warcraft. The orcs that want to avoid being fel corrupted (or those who want to atone for being fel corrupted) are the protagonists.

• Locked thread