Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZokdmzvDGA So between Watchdogs, AC Unity, Pro Skater 5, Homefront Revolution, No Man's Sky, Recore, this and a bunch of other games I don't remember at the moment, can we assume that AAA game developers are just cutting game testers out of the picture entirely and using consumers for QA?

LOL!

I ran into a few on the PS4. Aside from crashing, which frankly should never loving happen on a console, (Especially when it is obvious it was happening in the same drat spot for everyone after the soup kitchen area), I had an NPC I needed to interrogate for Vito and after I did so, I killed him, with a knife to the head. He got back up, pointed his finger at me (Without a gun in it) and yelled, "I'm coming for you now!".... Then the zombie corpse with the imaginary gun chased after me for about 2 minutes and then vanished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Utnayan posted:

LOL!

I ran into a few on the PS4. Aside from crashing, which frankly should never loving happen on a console, (Especially when it is obvious it was happening in the same drat spot for everyone after the soup kitchen area), I had an NPC I needed to interrogate for Vito and after I did so, I killed him, with a knife to the head. He got back up, pointed his finger at me (Without a gun in it) and yelled, "I'm coming for you now!".... Then the zombie corpse with the imaginary gun chased after me for about 2 minutes and then vanished.

Nemesis system confirmed for Mafia 3

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So far the worst thing about this game for me are the Cops. They are such horse poo poo. Sometimes I can lose them pretty quickly, most times I feel like they chase me for 10 minutes before I even escape the circle. They love to do the whole spawn cop cars in front of you thing, even when I break LOS.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol jesus this looks like poo poo.

what can you even do in this game that you can't in GTA anyway, besides writing and characters that aren't legit retard-level

It's not poo poo; I don't think the engine is as good as GTA V, but that's not saying much since almost no engine is that good. It's got some pretty typical open-world jank.

Mafia 3 has great gunplay - things get destroyed and people get hosed up by bullets. It's much more kinetic than GTA; you're moving around from cover to cover much more.

Mafia 3 is a decent game.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've done some googling and it seems that the reason the game won't start for me is because my CPU has SSE4a instead of SSE4.1? I'm able to run MGSV, Witcher 3, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Hitman etc all with pretty good settings, I didn't even consider that would be an issue. Welp, guess I'll have to wait and see if that gets patched

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Had my first glitch in 5 hours on PC. As I arrived at a jetty, the boat I was meant to get in whizzed up and about in the air all over the place like a balloon with no knot, taking damage as it did until it blew up and crashed into the river, creating a boat shaped bottomless hole for the water to pour into.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I've literally never been chased by the cops in this outside of story missions. They never show up when people call them. :shrug:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
yeah ive always been able to get out of the area before the cops arrive except for once in the french ward

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I've literally never been chased by the cops in this outside of story missions. They never show up when people call them. :shrug:

They show up right fast if cause a ruckus in the ritzy white hoods.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Junkenstein posted:

Had my first glitch in 5 hours on PC. As I arrived at a jetty, the boat I was meant to get in whizzed up and about in the air all over the place like a balloon with no knot, taking damage as it did until it blew up and crashed into the river, creating a boat shaped bottomless hole for the water to pour into.

See I know the game is glitchy but I just can't get mad at things like this.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I've never seen mirrors behave like this in a game, ever.

https://a.pomf.cat/dsurlj.webm

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So apparently the PC version is also locked at 720p and upscales from that. The PS4 version is 900p and upscales. The PS4 version is literally the best looking version of the game. What the actual gently caress?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

What? I think this game could be one of the best of the year. It's really excellent and brings a lot of nice new touches to the genre.

I was a little bit worried about it getting samey like some people complained but then there was the amusement park and everything kicked back into high gear.

p.s. oh there are PC port issues? Running great on PS4 (not trying to sound smug)

It might be a fantastic game, but since I couldn't play it for longer than 20ish minutes without it making GBS threads the bed I never got to find out.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So apparently the PC version is also locked at 720p and upscales from that.

That doesn't sound right. Where did you read that?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

It's his PTSD causing dissociation. Obviously.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Junkenstein posted:

That doesn't sound right. Where did you read that?

Not sure about the 720p, but that does make sense since no one can go past 1080 resolution without it completely crushing the resolution. Which leads me to believe it's 720p upscaled to 1080p and everything after that gets crushed.

Yeah about the cops, if you commit crimes in the black neighborhoods they tend to not care... Do it at a country club though, and they will be after you for hours.

Also, I think when people see massive shadows hit the game it could be the clouds creating shadows from the sun. Not entirely sure on that though.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Utnayan posted:

Not sure about the 720p, but that does make sense since no one can go past 1080 resolution without it completely crushing the resolution. Which leads me to believe it's 720p upscaled to 1080p and everything after that gets crushed.

Yeah about the cops, if you commit crimes in the black neighborhoods they tend to not care... Do it at a country club though, and they will be after you for hours.

Also, I think when people see massive shadows hit the game it could be the clouds creating shadows from the sun. Not entirely sure on that though.

Use DSR, looks great

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Where do you deliver these contraband medical supplies to? The game gives you no notification for it or mission tracker.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Another Person posted:

Where do you deliver these contraband medical supplies to? The game gives you no notification for it or mission tracker.

There is, it's just a black/grey icon that's fairly small. Up north.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How is the game preforming on PS4?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The pissing sound doesn't turn off. I just saw some guy come out of a jazz club bathroom and he was still making the sound. Followed him out onto the street and it persisted. The polish on the game is Mafia quality indeed.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Gunder posted:

How do you unlock the Samson Drifter? I see it as locked in the vehicle delivery menu. It's Lincoln's personal car, right? The black hot rod?
Finish taking over the starting district for Vito - there's actually a plot reason you can't call for it yet.

Really enjoying the game so far. Missions are a bit repetitive, but the shooting and driving are both fun, AI is mostly competent if nothing special, and I've (touch wood) not had any real crashes/glitches on PS4. The story's good and the character writing's great - Sammy and Ellis are the most fleshed-out guys who die in the prologue I've seen in a game, and I keep getting surprised by how genuine stuff like Emmanuel opening up about his family, or Burke revealing there's more to his personality than 'drunk Oirish rear end in a top hat', or Nicki telling you she's gay comes across.

Plus, all the cutscenes with the Senate Committee are great:

:mad:: Mr. Donovan, did you conspire in a criminal enterprise with Lincoln Clay to murder Sal Marcano and multiple members of the Marcano crime family?
:haw::gently caress yeah I did!:haw:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
More games need to have good shotguns like this. I blasted some hillbilly in the stomach with one from a good thirty feet and he loving folded in half :stare:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The pissing sound doesn't turn off. I just saw some guy come out of a jazz club bathroom and he was still making the sound. Followed him out onto the street and it persisted. The polish on the game is Mafia quality indeed.

The patch notes for this game are gonna be amazing

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I can easily believe that the game is running @ 720 upscaled because its blurry as gently caress.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

http://imgur.com/a/jao7e

Trust no one not even your reflection

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

More games need to have good shotguns like this. I blasted some hillbilly in the stomach with one from a good thirty feet and he loving folded in half :stare:

I shotgunned some dudes leg off and I'm pretty sure he gave me the finger before he faded out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/187042

Plus, the PS4 version isn't nearly as blurry as the PC version either, there's still a fair amount of blur due to the upscaling but it's still better looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALoQyGj9R00

Again, the PS4 version is a little sharper looking. Still not great, but it's shameful that the PC version is graphically inferior to the PS4 version on top of the 30 fps lock which I thought sucked, but could live with. Is this another dumb decision some idiot suit at 2K thought was a good idea? It's either that, or there is some bug that prevents the game from using higher graphical settings because this video shows very little difference between low and high settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtjfXZnNCds

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Is there any gameplay reason to get the collectibles? Also do the shops actually do anything?

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 8, 2016

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Seems like its not upscaling but it has some retarded film grain/blur filter going

comparison slider image - https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/44654/full/

download - https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/6215/

Pretty massive difference when it gets corrected.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 8, 2016

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Corrected? I don't think hitting the sharpening filter to 200% is a "correction"

Last night I noticed that my settings in game were lower than the settings from the launcher, so people should check that out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Qmass posted:

Seems like its not upscaling but it has some retarded film grain/blur filter going

comparison slider image - https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/44654/full/

download - https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/6215/

Pretty massive difference when it gets corrected.

Geez. I'm willing to bet all high settings really do is put on a bunch of post-processing effects that just smear vaseline on everything because that is a pretty drastic difference.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I legit laughed at the boys joking around in the garage, it was pretty amazing. There's some great writing in this goddamn.

Spoiler conjecture on starting plot: I'm trying to guess whose going to kill Lincoln's dad. It hasn't happened but it has too. I'm thinking his brother is going to do it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Was going around the open world and went into a restaurant with a bad guy. Lured him back towards the office and performed a stealth kill from around the corner. Lincoln jumps out, stabs him in the throat, and then starts ushering him back into the office. But, thanks to the small doorway, this happened.

He saw some poo poo in 'Nam man. He saw some poo poo...

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
After playing for a bit, I think the game would have been much better if all that filler missions between actual "story" missions were cut off. But then it might be ridiculously short...

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
What's the general concensus? I'm getting a mixed bag here. I loved Mafia 1 because of its storytelling but Mafia 2 felt like a huge disappointment for me, so I'm kind of wary about this game. I admire its setting and the presentation looks great, but I can't get a bead on the gameplay.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

You should wait and see if they patch it up. There is a pretty good game but its hidden beneath a mountain of woe.

HORMELCHILI posted:

Corrected? I don't think hitting the sharpening filter to 200% is a "correction"
I don't know anything about what they are doing and usually I would agree - I have seen enough screenshots of injector preset fallout/skyrim to know the usual artifacting and loss of fidelity you get from sharpening but that simply isn't the case here. I don't really care what you want to call it but this cheap work around does show how bad the game is by default.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 8, 2016

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

So, I've got a weird glitch on the PC. Traffic has decided to go berserk. Cars will just randomly decide to start doing donuts in the middle of intersections. Every intersection is a huge traffic jam with crashes and cars on fire everywhere. Sometimes they'll just swerve into the middle of a building and drive against the wall until they clip through it and explode. It's chaos everywhere. Like the riot from GTA: San Andreas is permanent. It's pretty much impossible to do the tailing missions. The target always crashes before he reaches his destination. Anyone else getting this glitch?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

So, I've got a weird glitch on the PC. Traffic has decided to go berserk. Cars will just randomly decide to start doing donuts in the middle of intersections. Every intersection is a huge traffic jam with crashes and cars on fire everywhere. Sometimes they'll just swerve into the middle of a building and drive against the wall until they clip through it and explode. It's chaos everywhere. Like the riot from GTA: San Andreas is permanent. It's pretty much impossible to do the tailing missions. The target always crashes before he reaches his destination. Anyone else getting this glitch?

you need to video this lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Qmass posted:

You should wait and see if they patch it up. There is a pretty good game but its hidden beneath a mountain of woe.
I don't know anything about what they are doing and usually I would agree - I have seen enough screenshots of injector preset fallout/skyrim to know the usual artifacting and loss of fidelity you get from sharpening but that simply isn't the case here. I don't really care what you want to call it but this cheap work around does show how bad the game is by default.

Like I said everyone should make sure to check the in game graphic settings. I thought things looked blurry, with everything set to high in the launcher, but looking in game everything was set to medium, and after correcting that the game looks fantastic.

• Locked thread