Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zo posted:

Why do you think that?

Neither team has done anything to deserve a direct invite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If Wisp eats cheese does the healing get shared with whoever it is tethered too? I assume it does but I just wanna make sure.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Nah they'll both be direct invites for sure lol

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Internet Kraken posted:

If Wisp eats cheese does the healing get shared with whoever it is tethered too? I assume it does but I just wanna make sure.

yes, but only for the amount that it heals Io. so if your Io is at 500/1000 HP and your carry is at 500/2500, the carry's only going to get 750 HP through the tether ("only", but it's still a bigger heal if the carry uses it directly)

e: haha holy poo poo one of the players on Butterfly Effect is using a Model M at this WESG LAN (lumi/sheever casting!!!)

Majuju fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 6, 2016

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

OG and Secret finished 3/4 at MDL they'll probably get invited...

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

This cameraman is garbo

who are the rest of these teams

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 7, 2016

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Wezlar posted:

OG and Secret finished 3/4 at MDL they'll probably get invited...

Placing 4th in an 8 team tournament where two teams were trying out their incredibly young B teams isn't all that impressive.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There is something called the Dota 2 Professional League (holy gently caress that's generic) going on featuring the wings gaming, but no one is casting it :rip:

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

you'd think they were faceless nobodies that noone cares about or something

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sphyre posted:

you'd think they were faceless nobodies that noone cares about or something

:irony:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How much do major tickets cost

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

lol drat,

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Does anyone else get nothing but Faceit (and maybe a tournament) games when using the watch tab? For about 2 days now it doesn't show any "regular" game going on but defaults to that league and I have no idea why that is the case as it wasn't happening before and I don't really give a drat about some 3rd party inhouse games.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
yeah the watch live list is completely screwed up now

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I'm starting a project to do some machine learning analysis on pro dota games. Has anyone used the opendota API, is it good or do they not share the fine-grained minute-by-minute stuff? What about datdota, is that workable?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Is there a goon discord or anything to find a Battlecup group?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

lljk still exists, dude

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
With the full complement of 14 goons idling in it. Its activity dropped dramatically.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I don't think anyone here actually plays Dota.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Like it or not, TCJimbo was the life of the party and when he left for blizzard dota all of the fun disappeared from the lljk channel.

Instead of being spergy in a fun, playful way the community became spergy in an elitist, nasty way.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If there was not a TCJimbo it would be necessary to invent him.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

more like dICK posted:

I don't think anyone here actually plays Dota.

That's why this thread is still open ;)

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I dunno what is worse tcjimbo or watching SingSing vs Ar1se tourney play, I think it's sing and ar1se though

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Love Stole the Day posted:

Like it or not, TCJimbo was the life of the party and when he left for blizzard dota all of the fun disappeared from the lljk channel.

Never met TCJimbo, but every community I was a part of died when Reborn came out. That update pulled you out of all the custom channels you had set to auto join and defaulted to showing you some regional pubbie channel full of people swearing up a storm.

In addition to that, it was too buggy to be an everyday client for about six months, but kicking everyone out of their chat rooms and refocusing the heart of the HUD on tournaments and treasures hurt custom channels a lot.

2015 in Dota was a great summer with TI5 and a re-energized meta, but an otherwise terrible year with the Sniper/Troll meta in the early year and Reborn troubles in late year.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 9, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I keep hearing this explanation but there's no way "Reborn happened and 80% of the lljk population suddenly got too loving retarded to rejoin a channel" plays. Something else happened to cause that channel to shrivel like it did. I have no earthly clue what but I can't believe dozens of regulars just couldn't figure out the arcane process of rejoining a goddamned channel.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reborn actually killed Dota off for the most part, not just LLJK. Don't be fooled by the numbers, that's just an increase in Peruvians and Pinoys. The lovely launch of custom games, which really could have been what made Dota the #1 video game out there, really opened a lot of people's eyes to how lovely Valve was and always will be. The quality of Dota (skill, etc.) also took a nose-dive around the same time. Most of the long-time players I knew stopped playing right around then as well. You can't just change the client completely, into a half-asses design that gets changed right away because it's obvious how half asses it was, and expect people to not change opinions about the game.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
DOTA is fun and good.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dota has the highest highs and the most painful lows.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Don't play dota.

Watching it is ok though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

JollyPubJerk posted:

Reborn actually killed Dota off for the most part, not just LLJK. Don't be fooled by the numbers, that's just an increase in Peruvians and Pinoys. The lovely launch of custom games, which really could have been what made Dota the #1 video game out there, really opened a lot of people's eyes to how lovely Valve was and always will be. The quality of Dota (skill, etc.) also took a nose-dive around the same time. Most of the long-time players I knew stopped playing right around then as well. You can't just change the client completely, into a half-asses design that gets changed right away because it's obvious how half asses it was, and expect people to not change opinions about the game.

Solid JPJ post right here.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

JollyPubJerk posted:

keep posting good posts man, good stuff

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Alliance HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
322 poo poo

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

JollyPubJerk posted:

mental_illness_conspiracy_theory.txt

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Boing posted:

I'm starting a project to do some machine learning analysis on pro dota games. Has anyone used the opendota API, is it good or do they not share the fine-grained minute-by-minute stuff? What about datdota, is that workable?

I don't think you can get the actual content of the replay from either of those sites, just the parsed results.

You'll need to hit Valve's game API directly with replay numbers (match IDs?) to get the full replay file to parse yourself (use https://github.com/skadistats/clarity ) if you want to know everything.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Kinda hope Horde sticks together and goes through open qualifiers for the major or something, I like that team.

Aleque
Sep 20, 2010

Toonhaze Animator
Guys, I really need some help. I want to make some Dota2 animations. Here are the details: https://playdota.com/threads/dota2-leavers-animation-need-supporters.629/#post-6648

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Aleque posted:

Guys, I really need some help. I want to make some Dota2 animations. Here are the details: https://playdota.com/threads/dota2-leavers-animation-need-supporters.629/#post-6648

Isn't this the guy who made the pudge raping cm animation and posted it in the last thread? Lmao I didn't forget about you motherfucker

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I've not read it yet, but the top looks like it might be EE calling out Team Secret: http://npgame.gg/blog/himitsumonogatari.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

TheRat posted:

I've not read it yet, but the top looks like it might be EE calling out Team Secret: http://npgame.gg/blog/himitsumonogatari.html

The players don't even know how much money they should be getting.... and they don't even seem to care?

No wonder orgs take advantage of them

• Locked thread