Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Eiba posted:

giant flesh monsters fighting biplanes and ironclads

cant wait for the king kong ending :getin:

Wellwinds posted:

Grisha would make six wouldn't he? Or did he just juice up and hope he managed to chomp historia's sister?

nah he shanked himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Plus it doesn't explain how grisha reverted to human before the child warriors were sent to the walled country

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

It was said that two of the nine titan powers were still under Elodia / the king's control, right? Could it be the case that one of those two was the armor serum Eren got from Rod's bag?

I guess Grisha / Eren's titan could be the second titan held by Elodia too, though.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

I'm glad that Grisha's ancestors appreciated the understated beauty of macaroni pictures

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It seems to me like some went as shifters and some went as food to transform the shifters, and a problem is going to happen where Grisha has to run away and then gets to the walls somehow.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
So, i'm going to wait for the chapter release before reading all those spoilers.

Is it good?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Frionnel posted:

So, i'm going to wait for the chapter release before reading all those spoilers.

Is it good?
The official release is up at Crunchyroll , and spoiler: it's good.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Its awesome that large portion of the back story has finally been revealed, but I have to admit I'm going to miss the speculation that comes with not knowing.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Xy Hapu posted:

So it's heavily implied that this:

doesn't actually represent what Grisha thinks it represents (the bringing of riches and infrastructure and agriculture via titan powers), opening it up to the question of what the heck it actually shows. For lack of being able to come up with a better alternate interpretation I'll go on a limb and say that the picture depicts some kind of Titan-aided interstellar travel. Those look like stars above the bridge, and a thousand feet up two disconnected mountains is a very odd place to depict a bridge as being, unless a 'bridge' between two mountain-worlds was a primitive people's best available understanding of space flight. A sci-fi bent might also help explain where titan powers come from, which is still up in the air, and leaves the door open for the bloody title making sense one day.

Admittedly it's super out there but it beats the hell out of this 'it was just a bunch of humans being dicks to each other all along' thing we've got going on now.

I hope you're right and Grisha Motel of the Mysteries'd this poo poo really hard.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

This whole story reeks of following ideologies that are based on hearsay and events that your ancestors told you about that may or may not have actually happened the way it was described.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

In It For The Tank posted:

Here's the nine different shifters, eight of which are known:
1. Progenitor (Royal Bloodline -> Grisha -> Eren)
2. Rage (Grisha -> Eren)
3. Armored (Reiner)
4. Colossal (Bertolt -> Armin)
5. Female (Annie)
6. Monkey (Zeke)
7. Dancing (Marcel -> Ymir)
8. Mule (???)
9. ???

Uh, where did the name of Ymir's titan come from? And why do you think Eren has 2 types? Seems like he just has the Progenitor titan.
EDIT: Okay Grisha's transformation was definitely not just a mindless titan but there might be a way to control your titan form without necessarily having one of the 9 types.

EDIT: I think this chapter explains why the Reiss family never freed the people within the walls. If they made a move they knew they'd just get crushed by Marley.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 8, 2016

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

RatHat posted:

Uh, where did the name of Ymir's titan come from? And why do you think Eren has 2 types? Seems like he just has the Progenitor titan.
EDIT: Okay Grisha's transformation was definitely not just a mindless titan but there might be a way to control your titan form without necessarily having one of the 9 types.

EDIT: I think this chapter explains why the Reiss family never freed the people within the walls. If they made a move they knew they'd just get crushed by Marley.

The "Dancing Titan" is a fanon name for Ymir's titan form (I was just going by the wiki), and Eren now holds two of the nine in him: the Progenitor Titan and Grisha's. Grisha was definitely a shifter even before consumed the Reiss family because he transformed by inflicting self-harm, which is something only shifters can do.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So does Eren have to eat all of the other shifters now to regain the one true titan god's original memories/powers?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Torix posted:

This whole story reeks of following ideologies that are based on hearsay and events that your ancestors told you about that may or may not have actually happened the way it was described.

That's, like, all of human history.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Just to point out, since some people seem unsure. If I remember right it's only the coordinate ability and the "shifter" ability that is only obtainable via eating the previous Titan. The Reis family had serums that allowed them to customise the physical capabilities of Titans. Reis' titan form was specifically engineered to be huge and powerful, and Eren got his ability to harden his skin by using an injection of magic juice. So it's probable that that all the Colossals in the walls are mindless.

I am wondering how this all squares with the Coordinate's ability to control minds only working on people of a certain ethnic background. Is it possible that the Ackermans cant even be turned into titans at all, as well as being immune to the coordinate power? Does the coordinate only work on Eldians, and since all Titans are Eldian thats why it can control them? A lot of questions answered, some more raised. Good chapter.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Squidster posted:

The official release is up at Crunchyroll , and spoiler: it's good.

Thanks, i'm reading it now and uhmm. UHMMM holy poo poo :dogbutton:

change my name posted:

So does Eren have to eat all of the other shifters now to regain the one true titan god's original memories/powers?

yes, have him eat Armin please please

Also, the wiki has this, which is uhmmmm interesting

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 8, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Frionnel posted:

Thanks, i'm reading it now and uhmm. UHMMM holy poo poo :dogbutton:

yes, have him eat Armin please please

Also, the wiki has this, which is uhmmmm interesting

I was kind of disappointed to find out that this apparently doesn't take place on Earth anymore, but this owns if true.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Unfortunately it doesn't work, that map is a mirror of Africa rather than an upside down Africa. Whoever put together the comparison flipped the image that's in the manga. A lot of fantasy maps seem to be thinly disguised real world ones, I guess it's difficult to make fully original coastlines.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its hollow earth and youre looking at it from the inside

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slartibartfast is totally loving with Eren.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Or the earth smacked into the titan planet and left an Africa-shaped dent. That's not ocean surrounding the continent, it's just a huge rear end plateau. Armin's dream is dead.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I really don't think Ymir is the actual Ymir, I think its just a popular/biblical name, like how some people are named Jesus in Mexico.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

"Hey, can you read this?"
"No, but I'm almost certain it says that Eldians are the greatest and Marleyans suck and always leave the toilet seat up and should be purged. VIVA LA REVOLUCION"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
tfw you're trying to scroll through all the non-spoilered text to avoid seeing anything except a chapter link

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Xy Hapu posted:

Unfortunately it doesn't work, that map is a mirror of Africa rather than an upside down Africa. Whoever put together the comparison flipped the image that's in the manga. A lot of fantasy maps seem to be thinly disguised real world ones, I guess it's difficult to make fully original coastlines.

At the time when we were discussing the release of Pillars of Eternity on these forums, I think it was forums poster Eiba that came with the feedback that the riverbanks wouldn't work the way they were drawn at the reveal of the map, so the developer took the feedback to actually change the coastline to correspond with the feedback.

It's one think to sit down with cartographer and drawing a coastline and getting something "good enough" and another one to make something that holds up to purview and criticism from experts in the field. It takes quite a lot of work to do these things to a point where people can be satisfied.

Albeit I would say I'd zoom in on a different coast in Europe or the US if I was making a coastline that seemed alien to a Japanese audience, rather than just pick one at random off a globe. Africa kinda does the job, but it's also kinda sad to lift the curtain up and seeing what they did.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

just popped in to read the latest chapter and Grisha's "history books tell us our people engaged in ethnic cleansing and tried to subjugate the entire continent, but what they don't tell you is INFRASTRUCTURE" spiel is so stupidly on-the-nose it's hilarious

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Sub Harrison posted:

I really don't think Ymir is the actual Ymir, I think its just a popular/biblical name, like how some people are named Jesus in Mexico.

Clearly she's not the original one, but the way she described her situation sounded like she was sacrificed for a large group of people, maybe she was like a Dalai Lama type figure that earlier Eldian rebels revered and the fallout from that was her getting sent to utopia and the oppression of the Eldians intensifying.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I don't think the series are set in Madagascar either (i never thought it was set on Earth), but it's one thing to draw a map and have it end up looking vaguely like something from Earth and it's another when it looks exactly like something from Earth. The author definitely just drew while looking at a map of Africa. Unless something is confirmed I just think it's a fun curiosity.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Also I really enjoyed the reveal of "we did all of this so we could take their oil".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

standard owl posted:

just popped in to read the latest chapter and Grisha's "history books tell us our people engaged in ethnic cleansing and tried to subjugate the entire continent, but what they don't tell you is INFRASTRUCTURE" spiel is so stupidly on-the-nose it's hilarious

But enough about the American elections...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Holy poo poo that was a lot of new information to parse

This manga was loosing me after the last endless battle but now I'm definitely hooked again

edit: so what was the point of the Scouting Legion? Just population control?

edit 2: for me the biggest question remaining is: why did the king decided to flee and wall himself up and erase the history out of the mind of his followers? It cant be just to "avoid conflict" or whatever Fritz said

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 9, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The point of the scouts was that they were founded based on the premise that there was nothing but titans outside the walls.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The scouts are just there to get rid of anyone curious enough to threaten the system.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

The point of the scouts was that they were founded based on the premise that there was nothing but titans outside the walls.

The scouts are pretty useless now, the only mission that everybody needs to get into is capturing the shifters and preparing for an invasion. There is nothing outside the walls but titans, then the ocean and on the other side a continent hell bent on genociding them. It seems pretty obvious to me that as soon as they don't need to keep them alive to use their kids as titan wranglers against the island they are going to gas chamber the whole lot.

Navik
May 13, 2005

Her sweet, sweet, sw-sw-sweet can

MeLKoR posted:

It seems pretty obvious to me that as soon as they don't need to keep them alive to use their kids as titan wranglers against the island they are going to gas chamber the whole lot.

This is my take on it as well - I actually fully suspect Reiner, Bertholdt, and Annie's families have already been killed. There's no point to keeping them alive once the Coordinate is eliminated as a threat to them - they don't even really need to take Eren, the holder of the Progenitor Titan, alive. If he's dead, nobody holds the power and the Wall Titans are eliminated as a threat. I'm assuming Marley wants him taken alive, though, to publicly execute him as a show of power prior to them genociding the rest of the Eldians on Paradis Island, and then the remaining ones inhabiting the ghettos.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Sub Harrison posted:

So all the Eldians who break the rules are sent to Paradise island to wander mindlessly and eternally to beseige the walls. Most titans are men because it's mostly soldiers sent to heaven, and I guess the tiny titans are actually children and teenagers. I think it was less hosed up when they were just deformed giants who liked to eat people.
and it's zeke's titan that sends them to heaven

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

And it seems settled that the mule titan is a being of his own too.
s/he's going to end up being the strongest titan

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Navik posted:

This is my take on it as well - I actually fully suspect Reiner, Bertholdt, and Annie's families have already been killed. There's no point to keeping them alive once the Coordinate is eliminated as a threat to them - they don't even really need to take Eren, the holder of the Progenitor Titan, alive. If he's dead, nobody holds the power and the Wall Titans are eliminated as a threat. I'm assuming Marley wants him taken alive, though, to publicly execute him as a show of power prior to them genociding the rest of the Eldians on Paradis Island, and then the remaining ones inhabiting the ghettos.

I don't think they're going to want to get rid of it, whoever has the coordinate can hold the world hostage with the threat of the wall titans. That's like flushing your one-way ticket to world domination down the drain, and if the stuff about oil is true then Marley definitely wants to stay the leader of the world. I don't think executing the family of your agents before they've completed the mission it's all hinging on is something anyone would do either.

Navik
May 13, 2005

Her sweet, sweet, sw-sw-sweet can

yellowyams posted:

I don't think they're going to want to get rid of it, whoever has the coordinate can hold the world hostage with the threat of the wall titans. That's like flushing your one-way ticket to world domination down the drain, and if the stuff about oil is true then Marley definitely wants to stay the leader of the world. I don't think executing the family of your agents before they've completed the mission it's all hinging on is something anyone would do either.

You raise good points, I admit I didn't consider that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So who's side is Zeke actually on? Is he still following Bert and Reiner's original mission?

He certainly can't be too happy with Grisha, but seems sympathetic to Eren.