Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
On Monday, a man in Guangdong province did perhaps the worst thing you could possibly do with a pair of magnets, he got them stuck on his balls.

At 4:48 a.m. that morning, emergency services in Zhongshan city received a desperate cry for help. 10 firefighters rushed off to the scene where they found a 45-year-old man in extreme pain. According to Southern Metropolis Daily, the man explained that he was practicing some "magnetic therapy" at home early that morning and in the process had unwittingly got his testicles trapped between two powerful magnets and was unable free himself.

Understandably, the firefighters didn't know quite what to do. The commander decided that they should take the poor man straight to the hospital. At the hospital, the firefighters and doctors argued over what should be done. In a video of the delicate operation, one of the firefighters is seen explaining to the man that they have "never encountered anything like this before" and are trying to decide who will take responsibility (if something should go wrong).

http://shanghaiist.com/2016/10/07/balls_magnet.php

Pictures within, blurred but still kind of :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
When they got the jaws of life on your balls... welp.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Randyslawterhouse posted:

Obligatory magic roundabout picture...

Used to live near this beauty and after the terror of the first time, it's actually pretty easy to understand/use.

I won't try to explain how it works though.

Is that, like, a ring of rings?

E:

1) Yes, yes it is.

2)It only makes a little bit of sense if you're driving on the wrong side of the road

3) Insert bad LoTR joke here.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 7, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nope.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Randyslawterhouse posted:

Obligatory magic roundabout picture...

Used to live near this beauty and after the terror of the first time, it's actually pretty easy to understand/use.

I won't try to explain how it works though.

Which of the old gods is this designed to contain?

Or summon?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

JoelJoel posted:

Platystemon posted:

Home made couch hoist

gallery
Yeah, loving pleb doesn't have a woodshop on their condo.
he very nearly does. He could've built a futon frame and put cushions on it for the same effort

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Roundabouts with traffic lights are my favorite things

gently caress you Washington DC

And traffic cameras!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

mostlygray posted:

Roundabouts are the worst thing ever. You have to make a full lap to read the signs and they make you lose your orientation when there's no sun. I've got a good sense of direction in general, but roundabouts make me lose my poo poo.

If you live in the Twin Cities, see "Opus Circles of Death." They're not roundabouts, but you lose your orientation when you go through.

My "favorite" is the diverging diamond interchange on 13 and I-44 in Springfield, MO. I'm still shocked there aren't more head on collisions between people who don't know what's going on there. Any exit looks like a game of chicken.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 7, 2016

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Or summon?

Drive round it three times anti-clockwise and you'll find out. :cthulhu:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Or summon?

Straight out of Good Omens. Crowley doing good work

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

GotLag posted:

Sounds fair to me. Trains are blameless, holy creatures.

Here's a warning device they could install: one or more pairs of steel rails, embedded in the road surface, to indicate where trains might cross.

Agreed.

Look at this poor train:
http://www.theonion.com/video/autistic-reporter-train-thankfully-unharmed-in-cra-20098

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGvj7GZSIo

I've driven it a few times and I still have no idea what I did.

Look at the 50s mark and try to follow some of the routes you can take. I am sure some of them bend space and time.

spog fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 7, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

if you put traffic cameras on roundabouts you'll just encourage the use of airframe parachutes

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I accidentally ran a red in Washington and didn't get a ticket. Maybe the camera was broken.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Minnesota may or may not suck with roundabouts, but at least they were smart enough to declare red light cameras unconstitutional.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol, owned

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like it hydroplaned out of control ! ! !

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It had hydrophobia, like a dog!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

More like hydrophilia

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

:stare:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hyperlynx posted:

Bullshit. Prove it. Link your sources if you're going to make such outrageous claims.

Australian capitalism is really awful

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

dis astranagant posted:

My "favorite" is the diverging diamond interchange on 13 and I-44 in Springfield, MO. I'm still shocked there aren't more head on collisions between people who don't know what's going on there. Any exit looks like a game of chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5JtZMPTNAY

That is straight up madness!

Everything I said about roundabouts is wrong. I want them everywhere.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't remember if I posted this before or not.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Volcott posted:

I accidentally ran a red in Washington and didn't get a ticket. Maybe the camera was broken.

At least where I am, they admit that they put up way more red-light cameras than are actually taking pictures. The idea is that you drive better when you see one, even if you don't get ticketed.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Non roundabout-related post from YOSPOS picture thread that seemed kinda OSHA:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's utterly amazing

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It's better than the alternative, I guess. And at least it's clearly posted.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't have experience with American nuclear plants; are those manual controls for every rod?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

I don't have experience with American nuclear plants; are those manual controls for every rod?

Yes, Manuel controls all the rods.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Or summon?

I think there's a Neil Gaiman novel where it's featured as a work of Satan.

But really, it's not that bad when you conceptualize it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

steinrokkan posted:

I think there's a Neil Gaiman novel where it's featured as a work of Satan.

But really, it's not that bad when you conceptualize it.

Yeah Good Omens with Terry Pratchett

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Nah that's just the M25, which can indeed be pretty hellish.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BattleMaster posted:

That’s B Reactor at the Hanford Site. It was the first serious nuclear reactor ever constructed, finished 1944.

Oak Ridge’s X‐10 opened a year earlier, but it was more of a proof‐of‐concept. It stopped making plutonium for bombs in January 1945, despite the fact that World War II was still ongoing.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 8, 2016

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I still love the story about how SCRAM stands for Safety Control Rod Axe Man. Even though it probably isn't true

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MausoleumExtremist posted:

Non roundabout-related post from YOSPOS picture thread that seemed kinda OSHA:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

"Dammit Bill we were at 500MWT why are we at 30MWT now?!"
"ACK! THBBBT!"

Aside

code:
CORE_DRYWL1_T: ??? DEG F
CORE_DRYWL2_T: ??? DEG F

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 9, 2016

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

BattleMaster posted:

Google says that those are pressure indicators.

That'd make sense as damaging a pressure indicator could cause a low pressure SCRAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: wrong thread