Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pash posted:

Kickstarter page meanwhile is full of people bitching about not getting the retail box of the two player starter set.
As in they didn't get all of the contents or literally did not get the actual box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Safety Factor posted:

As in they didn't get all of the contents or literally did not get the actual box?

The loving box.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I guess there'll be a market for those "just a box" ebay auctions.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Safety Factor posted:

Yep, got all the content, Hawk is just not sending the actual box.

People are also moaning about us not getting a better price on things than retail... while we get a whole bunch of free things that easily make ours a better value...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

gently caress the box, it only goes in the recycling anyway. Stupid fucks.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, goddamnit. I'm not surprised at all, but maybe I thought these complaints might be legitimate given how complex shipping all of this stuff actually is.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So question to those with the times and or play time under their belt

Outside of the starter will the phr or the shaltari give the most different play style?

I'm still going back and forth which starter i also need
I really dig the look of the shaltari and even with dropzone the models are growing on me immensely

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Mind you all whining aside Ive just rechecked my package and realised there's an entire starter fleet missing. A little annoyed

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Outside of the starter will the phr or the shaltari give the most different play style?

I really dig the look of the shaltari and even with dropzone the models are growing on me immensely

I've only played UCM vs Scourge at a demo-day - but from what I understand, the Shaltari will be as different in Fleet as they are in Commander, with Gates allowing redeployment of ground forces etc

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Yeah from my brief rule book reading ( I play Shaltari) they use gates to deploy troops as opposed to bulk landers as the. Other factions do. They have special rules around having a shields up order that gives them improved saves at the expense of lighting themselves up like Xmas trees in terms of scanning. They seem cool

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Flipswitch posted:

gently caress the box, it only goes in the recycling anyway. Stupid fucks.

Having a shrink wrapped box would have made it easier to trade for cash or a DZC box, for those of us who ended up with two starter boxes but aren't really into UCM or Scourge and we weren't allowed to upgrade from Captain to Commodore in the pm after picking wrong in the campaign :smith:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Chalupa posted:

PHR play a lot differently in that they want to broadside, and they get extended scan range and armor to pull it off. Though Shaltari have the portals and shields to make them play different.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Bought the two player starter, A desolator and a Kodiak today. Once I get to grips with the rules I'll order some additional reinforcements. Getting all this for less than the cost of the starter itself sure is nice!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Kickstarter comments are so angry. There was a period where it was ok but this week has totally broken them.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

wdarkk posted:

Kickstarter comments are so angry. There was a period where it was ok but this week has totally broken them.

I'm a little miffed to be honest. My book cover was damaged in one corner and I thought little of it assuming it must have taken a knock in transit to me (although the package Itself wasn't damaged). I look on FB and there's a number of other backers with the exact same damage on their books too. Clearly Hawk received from the printers in this state and they still sent them out. Not a massive issue but along with no ship base stickers and a whole starter fleet missing I'm not overly impressed. I don't think that's unreasonable whining to be fair.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Serotonin posted:

I'm a little miffed to be honest. My book cover was damaged in one corner and I thought little of it assuming it must have taken a knock in transit to me (although the package Itself wasn't damaged). I look on FB and there's a number of other backers with the exact same damage on their books too. Clearly Hawk received from the printers in this state and they still sent them out. Not a massive issue but along with no ship base stickers and a whole starter fleet missing I'm not overly impressed. I don't think that's unreasonable whining to be fair.

I'm referring to the "how dare you fulfill your contractual obligations" stuff.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
In more cheerful news than internet moaning I went to the Hawk-run open day at Wayland Games today. In an impressive display of confusion it started 45 minutes late because somehow Hawk had been informed the event would be beginning an hour before the shop was supposed to open, and the earliest we could be let in was 9:45 for a printed 9am start (to allow the shop staff to do things like prepare the tills).

That said the event itself was excellent fun, I was the only person there whose stuff had arrived early enough to get any of it built or painted and so I was the only PHR player among the demo tables of studio-built UCM and Scourge. The Hawk team, Dave especially, are all excellent people who really seem to be trying to do their best and were very open about the nature of the delays and their efforts to get stuff sent out as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I played two games, both using a fleet of 1 Orion with 2 Europas, 1 Ajax with 2 Medeas and 1 Bellerophon. I won both, the first after a very bloody battle which left the only ships alive a damaged Seattle, a damaged Toulon, one Medea and one Europa and the second a more decisive affair where I lost only the Bellerophon (which Dave advised my opponent focus on because he believes it's possibly a bit too cheap but he couldn't reasonably increase its cost further).

Things I learned:

- PHR bombers are great, but all bombers are incredibly nasty. Even a Seattle can put out an awful lot of crits at 24" range.
- The Moscow on weapons free is terrifying and will quite easily eat most of a cruiser in one salvo with some decent rolls.
- Burnthrough lasers are really swingy damage-wise, but are a hell of a lot of fun.
- An Orion with some Europas is a really solid and cheap (minimum 188 points) bruiser unit for PHR, effectively putting out 11-15 dice hitting on 4s on each side. In my second game the Orion sniped the Moscow (which my bombers had already taken 4 health off) from across the map thanks to its major spike, rolled 5 crits and then got the double six on the crippled chart, causing the thing to suffer a further 5 damage (3 from the double 6 then another 2 from the second crit) and blowing it up spectacularly.

The spike mechanic is incredibly flavourful and I really think PHR need to go silent running for the first turn or two to move up, then get between enemy formations and let it rip. Don't do what I did and go weapons free on an Orion with a cruiser in each arc and roll 14 1's and 2's out of 16 dice. I like the idea your ships have a firing range for all weapons rather than BFG's mess of "this gun shoots 45cm but this identical-looking gun on a different ship shoots 60cm, and because I bought this 10 point upgrade which isn't visually distinct this third ship which is identical-looking to the second ship shoots 30cm but gets a to hit bonus," and that ships are very clearly distinct and weapon profiles are standardised within a faction. It's an elegant game and I can't wait to play more.

EDIT: Medeas are awful, awful excuses for a ship and PHR are completely hosed if a frigate hides in atmosphere until the Echo comes out.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Atm I'm a bit uncertain how you get to the atmosphere level strike carriers as non-Scourge. Curious to see how that pans out. Weapons free Moscow and hoping for a 6 isn't my idea of a good play.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

Atm I'm a bit uncertain how you get to the atmosphere level strike carriers as non-Scourge. Curious to see how that pans out. Weapons free Moscow and hoping for a 6 isn't my idea of a good play.

The answer for PHR, straight from Hawk Dave, is a Standard Orders Ajax.

His words: "throw a fuckton of dice"

Not being able to use CAWs in atmosphere seems a potentially really annoying thing, it would kind of work to shoot missiles/lightning bolts at stuff your main guns can't easily hit.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bob Smith posted:

EDIT: Medeas are awful, awful excuses for a ship and PHR are completely hosed if a frigate hides in atmosphere until the Echo comes out.

Did the Medea do anything for you? I haven't played too many games with the beta, but so far it has done a whole big bag full of nothing. It doesn't have the shots to make bombing count with all the rolls you have to make.

It will be interesting to see when the corvettes come out. I assume they are in the official rulebooks?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Sad I missed the Wayland demo day :( no shipping notification yet but I'm working from home next week so fingers crossed.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I ordered a starter fleet online and kinda expect it to arrive before my pledge. I'm a little annoyed, but I understand. Really can't wait to play the game and build spaceships. The people on the kickstarter comments are acting like hawk just killed their dog or something.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I backed for two wholly selfish, self-serving reasons:

1. To get more poo poo for my cash than buying from a store.
2. To get some swank ships that I otherwise couldn't.

The only things that will piss me off are finding out that I paid past the retail for the stuff I got, which is unlikely given the stretch bonus stuff, and the stuff arriving all hosed up. And even that won't really ruffle me unless they don't make good on replacing damaged parts in a decent timeframe. I can live with a bent rulebook for a few weeks, and I don't care about having a retail box.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I was kinda pissed off at seeing all the people who went to demo days suddenly waving their free promo fleets months ahead of people who'd paid money. That stuck in my craw a little. But then I looked at Facebook and Kickstarter and saw all the wonderful human beings I was sharing a platform with, and got over myself real drat fast.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone who cries over a promo sprue for attending an event and preordering (they weren't free) should just asphyxiate themselves imo.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

LordAba posted:

Did the Medea do anything for you? I haven't played too many games with the beta, but so far it has done a whole big bag full of nothing. It doesn't have the shots to make bombing count with all the rolls you have to make.

It will be interesting to see when the corvettes come out. I assume they are in the official rulebooks?

It landed troops and in one game got some CAW crits to kill a Toulon. I also managed to kill something with bombardment but quickly found it was easier just to land more tanks on top of their tanks.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I just forget about everything I kickstart and it's like a present from my past self when a parcel arrives. At the end of the day it's a small team getting a couple thousand parcels out.

Also the scourge scheme is surprisingly hard to replicate without accidentally going too dark.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

ijyt posted:

I just forget about everything I kickstart and it's like a present from my past self when a parcel arrives. At the end of the day it's a small team getting a couple thousand parcels out.

Agreed. It's a free wargaming gift.
I'm disappointed into package errors but I'm not going to be all over FB slagging Hawk. I'm sure it will be sorted in time

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I think packing errors are pretty much inevitable, mostly I am a bit leery of these temp workers they are bringing in. If you are turning up some place to pack boxes for a couple of weeks then moving on, how much of a crap do you give?

Just so long as it does not turn into a "Mantic shipping KoW/Dungeon Saga" level FUBAR and we see the typical level of service from Hawk in making things right then I will be happy in the end.

I'm going to watch the BoW video now to see how sad Dave looks. He really did want to deliver this KS on time and to backers first, I cant imagine he is happy with how things have ended up.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

I'm going to watch the BoW video now to see how sad Dave looks. He really did want to deliver this KS on time and to backers first, I cant imagine he is happy with how things have ended up.

He's pretty upfront and honest about needing to meet contractual obligations with his retailers. He dances a bit around a few points in a noticeable way, but I'm prepared to cut him some slack based on how willing he is to discuss their problems with printing and shipping. At one point he mentions a total of 5-6 tons of Dropfleet goods arriving at Hawk's warehouse in 150+ pallets.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Yeah, fair play. At a guess there is probably something in their contract guaranteeing that they would deliver by X time no matter what, and we are now hitting that.

Ultimately the game must hit retail and be supported otherwise it becomes another kickstarter flash in the pan that nobody will be playing 2 years from now. The fact they are pushing back multiple waves of releases to fulfil the kickstarter is s big deal. I think the video said waves 2 and 3 would be delayed, so here is the next question.

Wave 1 is the 2 player starter set and plastic fleet/cruiser/frigate boxes.

Wave 2 is battleships.

What then is wave 3? Battlecruisers? A smaller class?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Smaller class only leaves corvettes at the moment.

And yeah, when it comes down to it i'd much rather have a game that people actually play than my stuff a week earlier.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Ugleb posted:

What then is wave 3? Battlecruisers? A smaller class?

I'm fairly certain the 3rd wave is the individual cruiser boxs and individual frigate boxes. I think the first wave is just the 2 player starter and the fleet starters.

Also the space station comes in one of those later waves.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Corvettes and Dreadnoughts are coming friends.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

Corvettes and Dreadnoughts are coming friends.

As wave 3? Would not have expected them for a little while tbh.

Space stations must not be far off release, given how they are all done.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

End of November I think. Dreadnoughts are first expansion book.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah that makes more sense, thought Dreads were meant to be awhile off. Still, Corvettes a month or two after launch is not long, assuming they don't get pushed back along with the Battleships.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Am i right in saying that the only way to get the plastic kits is via the starter armies? Am i also right in thinking that if you have the UCM starter from the 2 player starter box that you'd like to expand, that getting the starter box isn't the worst idea?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Frobbe posted:

Am i right in saying that the only way to get the plastic kits is via the starter armies? Am i also right in thinking that if you have the UCM starter from the 2 player starter box that you'd like to expand, that getting the starter box isn't the worst idea?

For Dropzone? Yeah all things plastic are in the army boxes, you can't just buy a few plastic condors by themselves, but you could get them in resin if you really wanted.

Buying a second army box is generally not a bad idea, but it is mostly for the medium dropships. Sabres don't get used much in large blocks really.

If you are expanding Scourge on the other hand, the meta just shifted with the Overseer and people are throwing down Hunters like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Ugleb posted:

For Dropzone? Yeah all things plastic are in the army boxes, you can't just buy a few plastic condors by themselves, but you could get them in resin if you really wanted.

Buying a second army box is generally not a bad idea, but it is mostly for the medium dropships. Sabres don't get used much in large blocks really.

If you are expanding Scourge on the other hand, the meta just shifted with the Overseer and people are throwing down Hunters like crazy.

i checked the prices, and for 3 resin condors, i can buy a starter army box! Anyway, i dived in a bit more and ordered the scourge and UCM command card decks, plus desolators and dropships and wolverines plus dropships. that gives me two pretty equal 850 or so points forces. perfect for attempting to suck in other players in my gaming club!