Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Ah, the days when every carrier in every country/region had it's own unique snowflake model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Remember when HTC said they were going to just focus on one model: the HTC One, with the flagship One X.

...and the HTC One S

...and the HTC One V

...and the HTC One X (international with Tegra)

...and the HTC One X+ (Tegra, refresh)

E: the Snapdragon One X was actually a really nice phone except for the USB port on the side. They had pogo pins for a dock, but the dock availability was spotty. I never ended up with one.

carticket fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 8, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

comper posted:

No, back then you couldn't use the play store version on Verizon. Well I guess you technically could but you'd be stuck on 3G. The differentiation of hardware included the CDMA modem that allowed for LTE on Verizon.

E: vvv

Yeah, you're right. Memory served me that this was around the time when they started getting a little less fragmented in that sense but that wasn't until later on.
I know that. But you could use the play store version on ATT or T-Mo.

The play store 3G, the verizon was first gen LTE. Totally different radios.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yes, the play store one only had GSM radios, no CDMA radios and no LTE radios. So it couldn't work under Verizon or Sprint at all.

Also, don't forget that the international versions were updated by, I believe, Samsung and not Google. It's was common to reflash them to the Google version.

Google versions, there were two: yakju and takju. The takju version had Wallet in the system image and was for the US, the yakju was for the EU.

The other international versions were updated by Samsung and there were a shitload. Here's the list with regions:

• yakjudv - Variant for Australia
  • yakjujp - Variant for the Middle East
  • yakjujt - Variant for Turkey
  • yakjukr - Variant for South Korea
  • yakjusc - Variant for Japan
  • yakjuux - Variant for Canada
  • yakjuvs - Variant for Brazil
  • yakjuxe - Variant for Russia and the former Eastern Bloc
  • yakjuxw - Variant for certain carriers in Western Europe
  • yakjuzs - Variant for China and Hong Kong

Mine was a yakjuzs I bought prior to Play Store availability during the Verizon exclusivity period. It was a good phone.

Just for completion's sake, the other two versions were the CDMA versions, the mysid and mysidspr for Verizon and Sprint, respectively. As noted they were completely different with different radios, shell sizes, and batteries from the GSM models.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Is the Huawei P9 a good phone? My mum's phone just kicked the bucket and her company is offering her this phone on her plan. Before everyone says buy a phone outright, phones are expensive in Australia and the plan with the phone is barely more expensive than the plan without a phone. Plus it's my parents doing it and they want to get a plan, not my call. The other phone on option is an S5, which I'm obviously not very hot on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Only buy Nexus phones

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh man, Pogo pin dock. I loved that poo poo. Had two, one on my nightstand and one at work. When was that, Galaxy Nexus? I thought I lived I the goddamn future.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BurritoJustice posted:

Is the Huawei P9 a good phone? My mum's phone just kicked the bucket and her company is offering her this phone on her plan. Before everyone says buy a phone outright, phones are expensive in Australia and the plan with the phone is barely more expensive than the plan without a phone. Plus it's my parents doing it and they want to get a plan, not my call. The other phone on option is an S5, which I'm obviously not very hot on.

Spec-wise, it's good enough (Kirin is great for single-thread poo poo), but reviewers consistently rate Huawei/Honor's Android changes as "trash".
If she's not a power user, it'll be "fine".

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Spec-wise, it's good enough (Kirin is great for single-thread poo poo), but reviewers consistently rate Huawei/Honor's Android changes as "trash".
If she's not a power user, it'll be "fine".

I'll probably give the go ahead to my dad then, but I'll make sure to intercept the phone and install google launcher/keyboard and delete as much trash as possible. My mum is about as far from a power user as possible, but she loves pintrest/casual web browsing so I want something that isn't laggy and has a nice big screen. Her last phone was this

Thanks for giving a real answer and not just the nexus circlejerk.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm only not recommending Nexus because they're too old, and the 6P is a chunky beast.
As for Pixel, if you had the money, I'd say jump ship to Apple.
I'm gonna wait for the S, and see if Google lights a fire under Apple's rear end to upgrade the screen and battery some more (unlikely).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 8, 2016

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Well looks like every carrier is offering to replace Note 7s now. Do y'all think the Pixel camera is legitimately good? The low light picture taking ability on Samsungs is pretty amazing and I will miss it. I just can't believe traveling for work with a potential bomb in my pocket all the time

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nobody will know for sure until the reviews come out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Well looks like every carrier is offering to replace Note 7s now. Do y'all think the Pixel camera is legitimately good? The low light picture taking ability on Samsungs is pretty amazing and I will miss it. I just can't believe traveling for work with a potential bomb in my pocket all the time

These are the pictures they took on it for the press conference.

https://goo.gl/photos/jVLTGpuvD8ezDWU2A

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

ilkhan posted:

I know that. But you could use the play store version on ATT or T-Mo.

The play store 3G, the verizon was first gen LTE. Totally different radios.

I was saying that you couldn't really make fun of people back then for buying it from Verizon instead of the play store like you had originally said as the situations are totally different between then and now.

E: vvv

Okay now you're just shifting this to a whole different thing. Fact is, no one was making fun of someone for buying a Nexus device through Verizon back then instead of the play store because that literally was not an option. So it's not "history repeating itself" in the context of your first post at all, that's all I was ever saying.

comper fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 8, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

comper posted:

I was saying that you couldn't really make fun of people back then for buying it from Verizon instead of the play store like you had originally said as the situations are totally different between then and now.
Sure you could. You just had to simultaneously laugh at them for paying for Verizon.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

These are the pictures they took on it for the press conference.

https://goo.gl/photos/jVLTGpuvD8ezDWU2A

Looks like a good number of them were processed with Snapseed and VSCO http://phandroid.com/2016/10/04/google-pixel-photo-samples/

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'm getting a new phone and I'm in need of a case pretty much like my current diztronic case. Are those still the go-to recommendation for that style (thin rubber cover) or is there some new hotness?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

BurritoJustice posted:

Got a Huawei P9, couldn't be happier, the last phone I had was Note 4. Never going to get a Samsung again.

If you've got any questions about the P9, let me know, and I'll try and answer them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

withoutclass posted:

Looks like a good number of them were processed with Snapseed and VSCO http://phandroid.com/2016/10/04/google-pixel-photo-samples/

Still though, those are both on phone editing programs. It's not like they took the RAWs and spent hours in Capture One with them.

You still have to have a good source not matter how much post processing you do on them. There's a lot of those pictures that have pretty drat good frozen motion in them which means that the camera does live up to the AF claims. Dynamic range is great in a lot of the photos too which is likely due to the HDR+ processing.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 8, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also as someone points out the aspect ratios on some of them are not native so who's to say they didn't just use an app to crop them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My 2013 Nexus 5 spontaneously died today. For the last week, it's been having microphone problems, and today it keeps losing picture. Something's probably loose, because if I reboot it, I'll have picture for a few minutes until I tip the phone oddly or something and then it'll die again.

Anyway, love nexus phones, haven't looked at them since 2014, see they're called Pixel now, and that we're like two weeks away from a release. Anyone have any rough estimate on how much the 6P will drop in price when the new Pixels come out? Money is pretty tight right now, and I can't decide between a slight upgrade or a major upgrade.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bobulus posted:

My 2013 Nexus 5 spontaneously died today. For the last week, it's been having microphone problems, and today it keeps losing picture. Something's probably loose, because if I reboot it, I'll have picture for a few minutes until I tip the phone oddly or something and then it'll die again.

Anyway, love nexus phones, haven't looked at them since 2014, see they're called Pixel now, and that we're like two weeks away from a release. Anyone have any rough estimate on how much the 6P will drop in price when the new Pixels come out? Money is pretty tight right now, and I can't decide between a slight upgrade or a major upgrade.

Going from the 5 to the 5X is a solid upgrade. If you don't want to drop $650 on a phone I'd go for that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hmm... I might just do that. Shame all amazon seems to have are the white ones.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CFox posted:

I'm getting a new phone and I'm in need of a case pretty much like my current diztronic case. Are those still the go-to recommendation for that style (thin rubber cover) or is there some new hotness?

The blue Diztronic case stained my white 5x. But they still make good cases. Someone recommended me a Pleson clear case a few pages back, and I am very happy with it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I hadn't heard about this, but AP is reporting that ATT is considering possibly dropping the Note 7 entirely because of the whole explosion debacle.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/08/please-dont-buy-a-galaxy-note7-at-least-for-now-returning-yours-is-a-good-idea-too/

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bobulus posted:

Hmm... I might just do that. Shame all amazon seems to have are the white ones.

Buy it on Fi for $200/$250.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Luchadork posted:

I hadn't heard about this, but AP is reporting that ATT is considering possibly dropping the Note 7 entirely because of the whole explosion debacle.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/08/please-dont-buy-a-galaxy-note7-at-least-for-now-returning-yours-is-a-good-idea-too/
We all know that this ends with the Note 7 pulled from the market by Christmas.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Daring Fireball guy pointed out how Samsung owes Apple $120 million for stealing slide to unlock, which Apple doesn't even use anymore.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Boy, am I glad that I ordered a new phone. The power button is dying on my 5 again. I've already replaced it once.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Thanks to the recommendations in this thread regarding installing a new screen in my Nexus 5. Ended up replacing the battery as well although it's only going to be a temporary thing. Not sure if it's the fault of the screen or something I did when replacing it but it seems to have damaged the antenna as it's now become pretty lovely at picking up signal. Even with a new battery it's often not lasting the full day because it's spending half the time searching for network signal (most annoyingly my bedroom is now a deadzone so no one can phone or message me once I'm going to bed or if I've left my phone charging).

No reviews out yet for the Pixels but it sounds like people aren't too hyped for them, I'll probably wait until there's been at least a few full reviews published but it's sounding like I might get a cheap 5x and wait for the next round for a big upgrade. Or do some people think they might be worth the price point?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MrNemo posted:

No reviews out yet for the Pixels but it sounds like people aren't too hyped for them, I'll probably wait until there's been at least a few full reviews published but it's sounding like I might get a cheap 5x and wait for the next round for a big upgrade. Or do some people think they might be worth the price point?

It's really going to be hard to know til there actually are some reviews that aren't from Google's marketing campaign.

There doesn't seem to be anything revolutionary going on with them (an allegedly nice camera and Google Assistant aside, since neither are exactly proven technology) but they could be really well-made phones. We just don't know.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

MrNemo posted:

Thanks to the recommendations in this thread regarding installing a new screen in my Nexus 5. Ended up replacing the battery as well although it's only going to be a temporary thing. Not sure if it's the fault of the screen or something I did when replacing it but it seems to have damaged the antenna as it's now become pretty lovely at picking up signal. Even with a new battery it's often not lasting the full day because it's spending half the time searching for network signal (most annoyingly my bedroom is now a deadzone so no one can phone or message me once I'm going to bed or if I've left my phone charging).

Check you've properly clicked all of the back panel in, especially in the centre

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm super excited for the Pixel and will probably shove mine straight into my anus so I can be as close to it as possible

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

Boy, am I glad that I ordered a new phone. The power button is dying on my 5 again. I've already replaced it once.
Hit it with a desk.

I'm not even kidding, this is a real thing with the N5.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Couldn't be arsed waiting a month or paying £80-120 over the asking price for a oneplus3 so went with a P9. Not a huge fan of the interface after having a Nexus since the 4, but it's very nice that aside. Camera is amazing.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Tunga posted:

Hit it with a desk.

I'm not even kidding, this is a real thing with the N5.

I'm aware. That's how I broke the bootloops from the button being pressed before.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
e: Never mind.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Shannow posted:

Couldn't be arsed waiting a month or paying £80-120 over the asking price for a oneplus3 so went with a P9. Not a huge fan of the interface after having a Nexus since the 4, but it's very nice that aside. Camera is amazing.

Bought a P9 here too. Also couldn't justify the extra cost and wasn't trusting eBay for a Xiaomi MI5 with no support etc. etc.

Seems like a nice phone. Surprised I've been able to remove/disable as much as I have and generally pleased that it just seems to get out of my way and be nice to use. Fingerprint sensor is a cool thing to have, and the camera, as you say, is a vast improvement over the N4. With a change of theme, even made it look not half bad.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm aware. That's how I broke the bootloops from the button being pressed before.

It fixed mine too. It's something in the white switch on the PCB that fucks up, not that actual switch (or it still remains clicky when it's hosed.) I removed my power button and taped over the hole, got an app that let's me turn it on using the power button and now I'm constantly stressed about it running out of battery and me breaking it again by turning it on. When I get a new one I might see if I can get the part and solder it on.

I'm just going to buy a OnePlus 3 when I can decide if I want one of the official cases if I can't find a decent slim one. It's more recent than a 6P, cheaper in the UK and not £600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

withoutclass posted:

They still look amazing, even with Snapseed you need a good starting shot. I really want Pixel full reviews to come in, I'm really wondering about battery life for one.