Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh hey, just realized - black hole sun could be a hint at a dyson sphere

heheheheheh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Anyone think that Bernard was uneasy because Dolores asked a direct question to him?

Seems outside of character for hosts to question employees.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

And Paint it Black and No Surprises in ep 2. Someone likes the same music I like.

The Nolan's seem like cool peeps.

Trivia posted:

Anyone think that Bernard was uneasy because Dolores asked a direct question to him?

Seems outside of character for hosts to question employees.

Yeah, that seemed to unnerve him, since he made the additional effort of deleting the conversation and erasing her event log.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Lovin' the show so far.

This popped back into my mind last night, and I thought it might be appreciated here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rO-I7butL4

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 9, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Poor Bernard having to hook up with his miserable cigarette smoking boss.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

etalian posted:

Poor Bernard having to hook up with his miserable cigarette smoking boss.

Not sure she is his boss - could see them being at the same level as head of programming and head of security

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Better than raping a robot.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
#HostLivesMatter

This tweet was liked by @AlienQueen

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
So far this show is okay? I guess. It feels like a Fox show with more tits and blood and a bigger budget. There are evil humans who love murder raping, innocent good guy robots who are discovering their humanity, a bitchy CEO, an obnoxious syncophant writer guy, scientists who don't believe anything can go wrong, a Geppetto, and a guy who is basically looking for the hatch from Lost. Beyond the GOT-like giant sprawl of random storylines, you'd expect the some unconventional plotting, or crazy visual aesthetic, or deep nuanced thematics. Something only a cable show, with its smaller but more invested audience, could pull off besides saying gently caress alot. Although I guess saying gently caress alot does make the show "darker" that what you could get on network TV but the grimness is a bit cartoonish. I mean if you're going to borrow from video games, the paragon/renegade morality system (which is simplistic only because of the limitations of branching story paths) is probably the last thing you should take.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

emoticon posted:

So far this show is okay? I guess. It feels like a Fox show with more tits and blood and a bigger budget. There are evil humans who love murder raping, innocent good guy robots who are discovering their humanity, a bitchy CEO, an obnoxious syncophant writer guy, scientists who don't believe anything can go wrong, a Geppetto, and a guy who is basically looking for the hatch from Lost. Beyond the GOT-like giant sprawl of random storylines, you'd expect the some unconventional plotting, or crazy visual aesthetic, or deep nuanced thematics. Something only a cable show, with its smaller but more invested audience, could pull off besides saying gently caress alot. Although I guess saying gently caress alot does make the show "darker" that what you could get on network TV but the grimness is a bit cartoonish. I mean if you're going to borrow from video games, the paragon/renegade morality system (which is simplistic only because of the limitations of branching story paths) is probably the last thing you should take.

It's borrowing it from Westerns. :ssh:

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 9, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's the unsettling themes from Ex Machina in a western setting.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

emoticon posted:

Might I draw your attention to the great acting and dialogue?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Alehkhs posted:

Lovin' the show so far.

This popped back into my mind last night, and I thought it might be appreciated here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rO-I7butL4

An Arpoovian Shebber-Shenty cameo on this show would be absolutely incredible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

emoticon posted:

So far this show is okay? I guess. It feels like a Fox show with more tits and blood and a bigger budget.

The closest Fox show thematically is (was) probably Almost Human, but they're so far apart quality wise it's not even funny.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Might I draw your attention to the great acting and dialogue?

BAH! Who watching a show for that poo poo? PASHAW!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think the other thing, and the movie did this too, is that it's knowingly borrowing those elements since that's what people know and expect. It's playing up the renegade / paragon themes because, well, that's how those sorts of things are written, and it's what someone would expect in that world.

I can enjoy Teddy's character because he's just such an obvious stand-in for the try-hard hero player, and the writers know that.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

emoticon posted:

innocent good guy robots who are discovering their humanity, a bitchy CEO...scientists who don't believe anything can go wrong

Who are you referring to with these?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Dr. Sam Beckett can only reference things within his own adulthood.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Lycus posted:

Dr. Sam Beckett can only reference things within his own adulthood.

:lol:

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

whalestory posted:

Who are you referring to with these?

I wouldn't worry about it; that poster obviously didn't really comprehend a lot of what they were seeing when they looked at the show.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Max posted:

I think the other thing, and the movie did this too, is that it's knowingly borrowing those elements since that's what people know and expect. It's playing up the renegade / paragon themes because, well, that's how those sorts of things are written, and it's what someone would expect in that world.

I can enjoy Teddy's character because he's just such an obvious stand-in for the try-hard hero player, and the writers know that.

Spoilers from the preview: It looks like BH and Teddy are going to team up, with Ed Harris at one point saying something like "I didn't know you could do that" and Teddy quipping "you don't know me." I'm hoping that, as BH delves deeper into the metamaze, he'll have to deconstruct Teddy's White Hat Hero personae to get to the meat of his character. Especially since Teddy is the newbie guy who guides you around, taking him out to the badlands must have some epic purple drops.
:pcgaming:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

esperterra posted:

So, Canadians? And I would assume plenty of other countries. The equivalent of HBO Go up here doesn't get Ep2 until after Sunday.

I mean I've watched it, but I'm sure plenty of people haven't.

God's own time zone in god's own country

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Spoilers from the preview: It looks like BH and Teddy are going to team up, with Ed Harris at one point saying something like "I didn't know you could do that" and Teddy quipping "you don't know me." I'm hoping that, as BH delves deeper into the metamaze, he'll have to deconstruct Teddy's White Hat Hero personae to get to the meat of his character. Especially since Teddy is the newbie guy who guides you around, taking him out to the badlands must have some epic purple drops.

I just wanted to reply to this to tell you I appreciate the purple drops reference.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
FYI - The original movie is running on SyFy right now. It just started about 5 min ago...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Please Eat A Vegetable posted:

FYI - The original movie is running on SyFy right now. It just started about 5 min ago...

It has Yul Brynner and Yul Brynner owns

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder where the host computational substrate is. It'd have to be somewhere the guests can't damage. And it seems pretty integrated, to the degree that they can't pull and replace a host's brain and reuse their body. Maybe their skeletons?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Please Eat A Vegetable posted:

Thank you!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's worth noting that in the first episode we see that Teddy wears a black hat, has previously visited the town in the narrative and acts as a guide for the extreme areas of the park. I would guess that if he has a hidden background it wouldn't be as friendly as Lawrence's

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Watching episode 2 again, it's weird to me that the Host that tries to sleep with William knows she's a host.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

IMB posted:

Watching episode 2 again, it's weird to me that the Host that tries to sleep with William knows she's a host.

I would imagine that everyone who gets laid in Westworld knows they are banging a robot.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I would imagine that everyone who gets laid in Westworld knows they are banging a robot.

No, she seems to be aware that she's a host by making the comment "if you can't tell what's the difference."

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Right, but not every host that gets laid knows they're a host.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rad Lieutenant posted:

No, she seems to be aware that she's a host by making the comment "if you can't tell what's the difference."

The other side of the argument.

She could be mentally preparing an obviously naive guest for what is about to come. In an attempt to get him to immerse himself in the coming environment.

Much like what his friend is doing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Maybe she's not a host?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe she's not a host?

Maybe, but that makes her a human employee paid to sometimes sleep with arriving guests of a park that has robots who already do that?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

The other side of the argument.

She could be mentally preparing an obviously naive guest for what is about to come. In an attempt to get him to immerse himself in the coming environment.

Much like what his friend is doing.

Exactly. So she's either programmed to speak that phrase or at least aware that the park is populated with artificial hosts.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Maybe, but that makes her a human employee paid to sometimes sleep with arriving guests of a park that has robots who already do that?

I guess? Maybe it's intended to get people questioning their reality?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I guess? Maybe it's intended to get people questioning their reality?

Here's the hiccup.

This is a paid reality. An expensive, paid reality. People start to sweat over financing a car. Some can't take the pressure of a thirty year mortgage.

The people whom attend this park are paying, for a car to a multi-level mansion, to experience a fantasy.

So, dream up a fantasy. Whatever it is you want. Whatever it is you can dream. As long as you are willing to put forth the cash to experience it, you can, in WestWorld.

Do you want to be the sheriff that brings law to a lawless town? It's this much.
Do you wish to be the villain that bed's the mayor's daughter? It's this much.
Do you wish to be the single greatest hero of a battle for the confederacy, or the union? It's this much.

Instead of spending money on objects, the people whom attend this park are spending it on the ultimate experience.

I've gone scuba diving, took a road trip around the country, rode horseback in Montana, shot clays, experienced fine dining, danced to jazz and blues in New Orleans. They all had a dollar price attached to them.

This entire thing, isn't different at all.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

VendaGoat posted:

Here's the hiccup.

This is a paid reality. An expensive, paid reality. People start to sweat over financing a car. Some can't take the pressure of a thirty year mortgage.

The people whom attend this park are paying, for a car to a multi-level mansion, to experience a fantasy.

So, dream up a fantasy. Whatever it is you want. Whatever it is you can dream. As long as you are willing to put forth the cash to experience it, you can, in WestWorld.

Do you want to be the sheriff that brings law to a lawless town? It's this much.
Do you wish to be the villain that bed's the mayor's daughter? It's this much.
Do you wish to be the single greatest hero of a battle for the confederacy, or the union? It's this much.

Instead of spending money on objects, the people whom attend this park are spending it on the ultimate experience.

I've gone scuba diving, took a road trip around the country, rode horseback in Montana, shot clays, experienced fine dining, danced to jazz and blues in New Orleans. They all had a dollar price attached to them.

This entire thing, isn't different at all.

Sorry, I don't follow. How's that a hiccup?

e:Just to clarify, I meant question the reality of the outside world, not Westworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
"follow the blood arroyo to the place where the snake lays its eggs."

I wonder if that's where Anthony Hopkins took his (presumably) younger self.

Also when Lawrence tells Ed Harris to "go home," he replies "No, im never going back."

Something tells me that he thinks the maze is the key to staying in the game forever, no resets.

My guess is it's something along the lines of he lost a child during one of the park gently caress ups (I've been coming here for 30 years,) but since the park is presumably turning the DNA of its guests into the production material for some of the hosts, Harris wants to find his child and live there forever with him/her.

• Locked thread