Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Experiences with Fostex TH610 vs Beyerdynamic T90, Sennheiser HD650?

Primary use is: Games, some videos, movies, late night music. movies/music isn't that important since it will mainly be played on my Opticon 8s.

Needs to be Over-Ear and comfertable over long sessions (4h+). Packing a punch is important. Preferably not too analytical or flat.

Open for other suggestions as well :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bump_fn posted:

What's a decent sub $100 pair of IEMs that have a microphone (and preferably volume up/down)? The SteelSeries Flux in the headphone buying guide, which seemed the nicest, in the OP is discontinued and now sells for $125 and gently caress that noise. I just want a pair of headphones for commuting and gym (and I don't want bluetooth), preferably a pair where the thing loving breaks after a year and starts sending errant start/stop signals to my phone (I'm looking at you, apple earbuds).

I've been really happy with the Xiomi Mi and the Xiomi Piston III's

Don't know if their control will work for iphone though since they are a special snowflake when it comes to in line controls

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Uxzuigal posted:

Experiences with Fostex TH610 vs Beyerdynamic T90, Sennheiser HD650?

Primary use is: Games, some videos, movies, late night music. movies/music isn't that important since it will mainly be played on my Opticon 8s.

Needs to be Over-Ear and comfertable over long sessions (4h+). Packing a punch is important. Preferably not too analytical or flat.

Open for other suggestions as well :)

No idea about the 610, but I'm curious as well if anyone has any experience with it.

T90 is a treble monster murder machine. If you've ever heard a pair of grados and been like "huh this is nice, but it could be a lot more shrill", these are the cans for you. Nice mids and imaging but the treble is like an icepick for me.

650s are basically a more laid back, slightly bassier HD600. Which is to say, fantastic. The only thing they don't do well is soundstage.

It sounds to me like your ideal can is the Fidelio X2 though, have you looked into them?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've been really happy with the Xiomi Mi and the Xiomi Piston III's

Don't know if their control will work for iphone though since they are a special snowflake when it comes to in line controls

Yeah they are great IEMs but sadly the controls don't work with apple stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I want some wireless headphones, earbuds specifically, to use with my laptop. I want something with better sound quality than the generic earbuds you get with a phone but I don't need anything incredible - my current wired earbuds are the Klipsch S4 and Sennheiser CX500.

The other big thing I'm looking for is for them to come with a slim case or something to hold the earbuds in along with the charging cable, so I can stick it in my pocket or something and don't lose them in my backpack. Suggestions? Under $100 US.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Jaybird x2 seems to be the popular choice around here. Logitech just bought them, so i would maybe wait a bit as they might blow out the old inventory.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Jaybird x2 seems to be the popular choice around here. Logitech just bought them, so i would maybe wait a bit as they might blow out the old inventory.

Yeah these.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
What is the consensus around here on Grado headphones? I tried on a pair of their PS500e's today and I think I am in love. They are more than I would usually consider paying for headphones ($800 CAD) but they felt and sounded amazing.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No idea about the 610, but I'm curious as well if anyone has any experience with it.

T90 is a treble monster murder machine. If you've ever heard a pair of grados and been like "huh this is nice, but it could be a lot more shrill", these are the cans for you. Nice mids and imaging but the treble is like an icepick for me.

650s are basically a more laid back, slightly bassier HD600. Which is to say, fantastic. The only thing they don't do well is soundstage.

It sounds to me like your ideal can is the Fidelio X2 though, have you looked into them?

Looked into them, listned to them. They did seem to be somewhat lacking a punch when it came to rock music however, which leads me to think they might not be the best for gaming either. And I agree with your assesment of T90, that is the reason I sold them, I loved them for a while but.. Yeah.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Crutchfield has the Sony MDR-1000X in stock. 60 day return window. Let's give it a go I guess...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Uxzuigal posted:

Looked into them, listned to them. They did seem to be somewhat lacking a punch when it came to rock music however, which leads me to think they might not be the best for gaming either. And I agree with your assesment of T90, that is the reason I sold them, I loved them for a while but.. Yeah.

I'm confused for two reasons.

1. If you owned the T90s, why do you care what other people think of them?

2. If X2s are lacking "punch", what the heck are you looking for?

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm confused for two reasons.

1. If you owned the T90s, why do you care what other people think of them?

2. If X2s are lacking "punch", what the heck are you looking for?

I was looking for experiences with Fostex 610's against T90/650. Anyways, the X2s I tried had punch but didn't really follow as rapidly as Id like. But it might have been a poor amp (was at store, god knows what they used). Will see if I can test it with a good amp.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Uxzuigal posted:

had punch but didn't really follow as rapidly as Id like.

I don't really know what this means, it sounds like you're mostly interested in bass response? I don't think amps are going to make a real difference here, but auditioning open cans in a loud store environment with source material you're not familiar with can be tricky. See if you can find a place that lets you plug in your phone so you can listen to something you know.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Got the MDR-1000x today. Sound real nice and the ANC is pretty good. Not as comfy as the QC35s. The controller thing on the side actually works pretty well.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Alright, looking to get some new PC headphones to replace my thoroughly-broken Playstation Gold Wireless set (note: I would like a durable pair):

Budget: Under $150, please. Durability is key as well.
Source: PC first. Phone possibly, if it works out, but PC is the main concern here.
Isolation Requirements: I need these to not bleed very much if at all. I will be using them to play loud games in a small apartment.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-Ear (Again, Closed so that there is minimal sound bleed). I don't mind looking ridiculous with giant cups on the side of my head, but I wear glasses and have a rather large head, so fit might be a concern.
Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced? Neutral? I don't know. Planning to be playing shooters like Battlefield, Titanfall, in the immediate future, but will also use these for plenty of non-shooter gaming and movies as well.
Past Headphones:
  • "Playstation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset": My gaming headphones up until the hinge completely fell apart and the arm snapped above the hinge. I really enjoyed being wireless, but since I'll be at my computer for all gaming use, I probably don't need it. These lasted just over a year.
  • NVX Audio XPT100: These were my gaming/main pair before the Gold Wireless. They're now the headphones I use at work. I don't really have issues with them, so if you think I should just get another pair of those, let me know. I figure there's better pairs for gaming out there. I've had these for just over three years, and they're still working fine.
Preferred Music: Pretty much everything I can find. Casually, I enjoy music that crams as many instruments and mashes as many styles as possible. I do enjoy my bass, and a powerful sound is great, but gaming is the main focus here.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 9, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
M40x with angled hm5 pads.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Depths posted:

Got the MDR-1000x today. Sound real nice and the ANC is pretty good. Not as comfy as the QC35s. The controller thing on the side actually works pretty well.

Awesome, I'm going to have to get myself one.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The POS Turtle Beach headset I picked up in an emergency a year ago is finally falling apart. Now I need something with hopefully more build quality and less dumb Call of Duty branding slapped over it.

Budget is ~$100, using it pretty much exclusively for PC gaming/discord talk/etc.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Huh, Crutchfield sold out of the black Sony MDR-1000X's. Hype rush?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

M40x with angled hm5 pads.

To add to this, if you need a mic for team chat there are plenty of 10' long clip on mics that will go with the straight cable they come with. If you need to get on the go, you can switch over to the included coiled cable in about 5 seconds. They also fold up nicely to fit into into hard cases, too.

This is my setup for Overwatch and it's awesome!

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't really know what this means, it sounds like you're mostly interested in bass response? I don't think amps are going to make a real difference here, but auditioning open cans in a loud store environment with source material you're not familiar with can be tricky. See if you can find a place that lets you plug in your phone so you can listen to something you know.

Aye, bass response would be a better word for it indeed. :) Been checking out the X2s abit more since last post, and I think I might give them a try, 30 days trial/money back if not happy so- good deal.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

To add to this, if you need a mic for team chat there are plenty of 10' long clip on mics that will go with the straight cable they come with. If you need to get on the go, you can switch over to the included coiled cable in about 5 seconds. They also fold up nicely to fit into into hard cases, too.

This is my setup for Overwatch and it's awesome!

You don't even have to get that fancy, someone made a BoomPro ripoff that plugs directly into the headphones, no modification necessary. Also works with midrange Sennheiser cans.

https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-U...2QMN3Q6VA095S4V

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

iastudent posted:

The POS Turtle Beach headset I picked up in an emergency a year ago is finally falling apart. Now I need something with hopefully more build quality and less dumb Call of Duty branding slapped over it.

Budget is ~$100, using it pretty much exclusively for PC gaming/discord talk/etc.

If open cans are an option, SHP9500 + BoomPro

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If open cans are an option, SHP9500 + BoomPro

Seeing some vids of the BoomPro and that's some drat fine quality. Gonna give this a shot.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Are there any good neckbud(?) BT headphones out there that are good for listening to music? I've been using an old set of LG Tone Pros and I've come to really like the form factor. They just suck when it comes to listening to music (horrible bass and audio clipping at even moderate volume). I've been reading a lot of generally good reviews about the Sol Republic Shadows, and it's available under my $100 price cutoff.

Edit: Because I'm super impulsive I decided to pick up the Shadow at Best Buy after work. They are leagues better than the old LG set I had in terms of sound quality. They have bass, get loud, and the included tips do a good job with noise isolation. They're not as impressive as my Sony XB90's, but if the Sony's were like having a big sloppy 15 inch subwoofer in your brain, these are more akin to a 10 inch in a sealed box. :iiaca:

It may not be the most accurate sound, but it's still enjoyable and has enough clarity for me. I don't use these to run with so I can't comment on how "sporty" they are.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 11, 2016

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

SHP9500's arrived today. These are already so much more comfortable than any PC headset I've used before.

BoomPro should be here tomorrow, feeling good about this.

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

I'm basically looking for a new all-around headphone to replace my old Sennheiser HD650s that I've owned and loved for the last seven years. I'm slightly tempted to just buy another set of HD650s, but I think I should try something else. I haven't really paid much attention to the headphone market since then. Anyway, I want them exclusively for indoor use at home since my Sennheiser Momentums cover more mobile use. These will be my primary headphones so I'll use them for music, movies, games, tv, whatever. I'm Norwegian, so some of the less well-known brands probably aren't available, and I'd prefer not to have to import anything due to the import taxes.

Budget - I'm going to say probably no more than $500 as the upper limit.
Source - Mainly my PC with an Asus Xonar Essence stx soundcard. Upgrading my source is an option, but would probably have to be included in my ~$500 budget.
Isolation Requirements - No isolation requirement.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I think I would prefer something more balanced.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K701 have been my two most recent headphones, and I've loved them both. I've also owned a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50s, which I found to be kind of flat and boring.
Preferred Music - I listen to lots of different genres, so I think I want something fairly balanced/neutral.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
What's wrong with your existing pair of HD650s? Just about every part on it is replaceable, so if you like them (which it sounds like you do), there's a good chance you can just repair/refresh them. Because if I were in the situation of needing to replace it, I would honestly just get another pair of HD650s (or in my case, HD600s, which I prefer slightly to the HD650s acoustically, if not aesthetically) - there is nothing else I've heard in the same price range that's ever struck me as being a clear upgrade, especially when all factors (sound, comfort, price) is taken into account.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

MrCompson posted:

I'm basically looking for a new all-around headphone to replace my old Sennheiser HD650s that I've owned and loved for the last seven years.

If you want to stay with Sennheiser, the HD700 seem like a good fit. More balanced than the 650 and around $400.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

seravid posted:

If you want to stay with Sennheiser, the HD700 seem like a good fit. More balanced than the 650 and around $400.

They're a very, very different headphone, and you should listen to them before you buy them. The treble is serious business. Not like Beyerdynamic tesla icepick sibliant hell, but it's up there. I think a lot of the hysteria over the 700 treble is overstated, but it's a very different experience than the 650 in every way.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Alright. I just went by the general opinion, never heard them myself. Still seems like a solid choice for a high-end all-arounder but yeah, listen to them (and any other candidate) if you have the chance.

Are the T1 that bad? Hadn't heard about that. I was seriously considering them back in the day.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

EDIT: Checked the OP and found some phones I think will fit my situation.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 12, 2016

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

MrCompson posted:

I'm basically looking for a new all-around headphone to replace my old Sennheiser HD650s that I've owned and loved for the last seven years. I'm slightly tempted to just buy another set of HD650s, but I think I should try something else. I haven't really paid much attention to the headphone market since then. Anyway, I want them exclusively for indoor use at home since my Sennheiser Momentums cover more mobile use. These will be my primary headphones so I'll use them for music, movies, games, tv, whatever. I'm Norwegian, so some of the less well-known brands probably aren't available, and I'd prefer not to have to import anything due to the import taxes.

Budget - I'm going to say probably no more than $500 as the upper limit.
Source - Mainly my PC with an Asus Xonar Essence stx soundcard. Upgrading my source is an option, but would probably have to be included in my ~$500 budget.
Isolation Requirements - No isolation requirement.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I think I would prefer something more balanced.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K701 have been my two most recent headphones, and I've loved them both. I've also owned a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50s, which I found to be kind of flat and boring.
Preferred Music - I listen to lots of different genres, so I think I want something fairly balanced/neutral.

You're not very far from used-HD800 territory with that budget. Although your source might become the bottleneck then.

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

Having looked at what's available: what about the B&W P7, HiFiMAN HE-400i, Beyerdynamic T90, Shure SRH1540, Audio-Technica ATH-A1000Z or Sony MDR-Z7? I kind of want to try out something other than Sennheiser for once, but I'll probably just go back to that if I can't find anything else.

GokieKS posted:

What's wrong with your existing pair of HD650s? Just about every part on it is replaceable, so if you like them (which it sounds like you do), there's a good chance you can just repair/refresh them. Because if I were in the situation of needing to replace it, I would honestly just get another pair of HD650s (or in my case, HD600s, which I prefer slightly to the HD650s acoustically, if not aesthetically) - there is nothing else I've heard in the same price range that's ever struck me as being a clear upgrade, especially when all factors (sound, comfort, price) is taken into account.

They got pretty messed up during a recent move. I could probably repair them with spare parts, but I'd have to import the replacement parts which would be a hassle because of import fees/taxes etc. At this point I'd rather just buy something new. My main issue with just buying another pair of HD650s is that very few retailers carry them at the moment, and the ones that do are weird smaller online stores that I have very little trust in. As a side note, aside from import taxes, the main reason I don't want to import is because Norway has really nice consumer complaint laws, and I can get the headphones replaced for free if they break within five years.

seravid posted:

My brother has a set of HD700s that he never uses and offered to sell them to me on the cheap, but I can't really say I preferred them to the HD650s when I tried them out.

iSimian posted:

You're not very far from used-HD800 territory with that budget. Although your source might become the bottleneck then.

Good suggestion, but I couldn't find any around here. Also, I'm afraid my spending would spiral out of control if I bought something like that.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I'm looking for a headset as a gift for someone. Last I heard headsets have variable quality, is it worth getting a pair of headphones with a built in mic or would it be better to get headphones with a desktop mic?

Budget - Flexible, around $60
Source - PC.
Isolation Requirements - Very preferable, noisy roommates and loud air filter.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, not too snug, comfortable for long-term use (padding is nice). Preferably durable enough to last a few years. On/off switch for the mic would be nice.
Preferred Tonal Balance - A preference towards bass.
Past Headphones - A Sennheiser headset (not sure exact model, may have been Sennheiser PC 151) that was comfortable, yet broke after a year, even being extremely gentle. No idea if it was a fluke, willing to try that brand again. (Though it'd be extra reassuring if you have personal experience with the durability of what you're recommending.)
Preferred Music - Alt rock/indie rock, strong vocals

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Headsets with mics included (particularly gamer stuff) are typically garbage. You'e better off finding an inexpensive lapel mic and and whatever closed sennheisers you can afford with that.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

MrCompson posted:

Good suggestion, but I couldn't find any around here. Also, I'm afraid my spending would spiral out of control if I bought something like that.

6500,- moon money on Finn, but yeah, things can escalate quickly.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Chelb posted:

Okay, SHP9500's bought on newegg for the cool price of $56.99 (with a few bucks off because i'm a college student)

these better not disappoint me dr. fishopolis or else i will insult your ears with such vivacity and venom that you transmogrify into a hideous videophile

I finally got these today.

They're pretty dope! Comfy and crazy good sounding for a little above $50. thanks dr. fishopolis!!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm going to be working in an open layout (:rolleyes:) building immediately after the new year. I'm going to need something closed and comfortable. I own a bunch of headphones but nothing that meets that criteria. I don't like wearing IEMs for long periods.

Budget - ~$300
Source - hopefully Audioengine D1 out of my work PC, though I haven't verified that this works
Isolation Requirements - closed should be enough, don't believe i'll need ANC
Preferred Type of Headphone - Closed circumaural. In-line mic a bonus
Preferred Tonal Balance - per the headphones below
Past Headphones - K712, HD600 should be the relevant ones for this purpose. I had a pair of HD280s but disliked the vicelike tightness and tonal balance
Preferred Music - all over the place, from metal to hiphop to drone/ambient/noise to modern classical

I'm very curious about the MDR-1A but also very open to recs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Stupid UPS sticking to delivery schedule. They're literally going to hold onto my Sony MDR-1000X's all day today for delivery tomorrow despite being in the depot just 40 miles away. :argh: