Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Open Source Idiom posted:

I want to say that this thread is the only place I've ever seen your theory, but I also can't quite remember it. Something about Urgent Calls happening during Patient Zero? I haven't heard Patient Zero in ages, but I'm not sure I buy that.

Yeah. Urgent Calls takes place during the ten years the Doctor is looking for a treatment for Charley, which is why he's so much more melancholy than usual. Colin's tone in Urgent Calls, so different from the brash, arrogant TV version, is another reason I like to use it as an introduction to BF Six.

I guess the only aspect of it that could be considered theory is when it takes place, because the virus trilogy is definitely tied to the release in Patient Zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jivjov posted:

War Doctor 3: Agents of Chaos is up for download. About halfway through the first story; this one is a straight up spy story and it's pretty fun.

Dammit, gonna have to wait a little bit to pick this up :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Update: last 10 or so minutes of the behind the scenes on Agents of Chaos is once again the John Hurt Appreciation Station. Everyone loves him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I decided that my next listening pleasure after the War Doctor would be to finally start in on Jago and Litefoot. Did my ears deceive me or did they use one of the most over the top stock scream sound effects in the very first episode? This is cheerily campy

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 7, 2016

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I finally got to listen the first Doom Coalition 3 story with the cell/mobile phones sending phone calls from past loved ones who were now dead.

As soon as the story finished, I mean within two minutes, my phone rang. It was my Mom wondering why I had forgotten to call her the day before on her 71st birthday.

I’m not saying I had a moment of quiet panic, but I had a moment of quiet panic.

For the record, I didn’t call her because of a broken cell phone which I had just replaced and hadn’t yet updated my calendar. The salesperson kept offering me a Cybus Industries Bluetooth free of charge…

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

There's actually a trailer for Class now and it looks pomising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzjt5SXgMqk

And also a "First Look" trailer for the Christmas special, "The Return of Doctor Mysterio": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFcSe0VrbXc This looks like it could end up being a bit poo poo, which is a shame because the last two Christmas specials were great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So apparently a classic series writer is going to write for the new series.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Davros1 posted:

Oh poo poo, awesome.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The triumphant return of the Cartmel Masterplan!

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Shada, by Douglas Adams and Steven Moffat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

cargohills posted:

There's actually a trailer for Class now and it looks pomising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzjt5SXgMqk

And also a "First Look" trailer for the Christmas special, "The Return of Doctor Mysterio": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFcSe0VrbXc This looks like it could end up being a bit poo poo, which is a shame because the last two Christmas specials were great.

There really isn't much to go on for that Christmas Special trailer, but the kids (people in general?) suddenly being raptured is an interesting hook. The trailer for Class feels more like the trailer for an episode of Doctor Who called Class, but it seems interesting at least.

Davros1 posted:

Pip: Before Jane died we had one last script we wanted to be made. We didn't actually have a concept in mind and I haven't written it yet, but give me a weekend, a day to film, and a £50 budget and by God I'll get you your episode!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Davros1 posted:

Moffat has finally run out of budget, then. Good. Let's bring this show back to it's bubble-wrapped roots. :getin:

Here is the actual trailer for Class, btw.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAycTsDzW-w

It looks like it's trying too hard, but who knows.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yeah, I'm not sold.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Any word as to who? Marc Platt seems like he could be up for it but apart from that I'm drawing a blank.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I'm hoping for Ben Aaronovitch.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Davros1 posted:

maybe it's another old script Frazer Hines found in his garage

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

cargohills posted:

Marc Platt seems like he could be up for it

Last year Capaldi said that he'd like to see "a 'Genesis of the Cybermen'. If we found the Doctor on Mondas itself in an adventure where he discovered the Cybermen actually being created.” Maybe they'll bring Platt in to do a proper Spare Parts type story for TV.

or at least i can still dream about them doing that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Last year Capaldi said that he'd like to see "a 'Genesis of the Cybermen'. If we found the Doctor on Mondas itself in an adventure where he discovered the Cybermen actually being created.” Maybe they'll bring Platt in to do a proper Spare Parts type story for TV.

or at least i can still dream about them doing that

Well great now I'm going to be disappointed and somehow angry when it doesn't turn out to be this.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

Well great now I'm going to be disappointed and somehow angry when it doesn't turn out to be this.

All must share my suffering :unsmigghh:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Colin Baker. :getin:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

maybe it's another old script Frazer Hines found in his garage

"Okay, let's all just admit it, there's only one way we're going to get Marco Polo back. So let's just do it."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cleretic posted:

"Okay, let's all just admit it, there's only one way we're going to get Marco Polo back. So let's just do it."

Twelve just keeps missing the First Doctor in a comedy of errors.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Twelve just keeps missing the First Doctor in a comedy of errors.

or better yet, maybe they hung out during Hartnell's day off episode when he was "sick in his tent"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

cargohills posted:

Any word as to who? Marc Platt seems like he could be up for it but apart from that I'm drawing a blank.

The names being bandied about are Platt, Aaronovitch, Rona Munro, and Bob Baker.

edit: Stephen Gallagher could be one too.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 8, 2016

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

from this moment on there is no such thing as free will in the entire universe

there's only my will

because I POSSESS THE INFINITY GAUNTLET

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor: Didn't I scatter this thing across creation back in the late 70s?

Edit: On a more serious note, I loving love that moment when the 4th Doctor has the Key to Time and he's talking about what it can do, then he turns to Romana and says,"Are you listening Romana? Because with this... I can make you listen."

He sells the terrifying power of the thing so well, and you know that he would never use it but that he recognizes and is tempted by what it can do. It's not quite up there with his philosophizing with Davros about ultimate power, but it's still very good.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 8, 2016

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
If any of you remember my Doctor Who: The Adventure Games LP I started ages ago - well, it's done now.

If you want to watch it you can find the whole thing here:

And the forum thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752434

(It's not a good game)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Rona Munro or I riot

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

He sells the terrifying power of the thing so well, and you know that he would never use it but that he recognizes and is tempted by what it can do. It's not quite up there with his philosophizing with Davros about ultimate power, but it's still very good.

There's a moment in one of the FDA, where he brings up the Ring of Gyges, and discusses the implications thereof. They seem to like doing that with Baker.

PoshAlligator posted:

If any of you remember my Doctor Who: The Adventure Games LP I started ages ago - well, it's done now.

If you want to watch it you can find the whole thing here:

And the forum thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752434

(It's not a good game)

Nice dude. Know what I'm going to be watching tonight. :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Class trailer looks bad. Like, fan-made web series bad.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Maybe it's because I hang around different places these days but I've seen much less fanfare for this than I remember there being for Torchwood.

These seems to be going for the same demo but in a different way, like they cringingly name drop at the end.

I guess it won't be for me.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

PoshAlligator posted:

Maybe it's because I hang around different places these days but I've seen much less fanfare for this than I remember there being for Torchwood.

Torchwood was anchored to the return of a popular character from the main show. Class doesn't really have a Captain Jack or Sarah Jane driving that interest in it like the previous couple of spinoffs did.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rhyno posted:

The trailer is obscenely badly put together, yes.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

Torchwood was anchored to the return of a popular character from the main show. Class doesn't really have a Captain Jack or Sarah Jane driving that interest in it like the previous couple of spinoffs did.

Yeah, even the link to Coal Hill feels like a bit of a stretch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno. Sexy teens are always a draw. Plus, the lack of Doctor Who this year is going to drive viewers to the show.

This is basically going for the same audience who was hooked by Skins, or Misfits, or anything else from that brand of teen programming. (Am I loving ancient if I mention As If?)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Finally, not quite three years after the event, Cubicle 7 has finished releasing the 50th Anniversary Doctor Sourcebooks!

In the intervening time, we have gotten a 12th Doctor and the RPG line as a whole got completely rebranded and redesigned.

If nothing else, though, the books all are 100% complete as far as televised appearances go. The 8th Doctor book includes Night of the Doctor, and the 11th Doctor book goes all the way up to Time of the Doctor.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That's a tough call for OCD collectors. Do you put War in his place between 8 and 9 and mess up the title continuity, or keep everything looking nice by putting him in the wrong spot? Too cruel.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I find that his jarring effect on the spine image is thematically consistent.

But lemme tell you, I was pleased as punch that that limited edition rule book had him on the spine like that at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

jivjov posted:

Finally, not quite three years after the event, Cubicle 7 has finished releasing the 50th Anniversary Doctor Sourcebooks!

In the intervening time, we have gotten a 12th Doctor and the RPG line as a whole got completely rebranded and redesigned.

If nothing else, though, the books all are 100% complete as far as televised appearances go. The 8th Doctor book includes Night of the Doctor, and the 11th Doctor book goes all the way up to Time of the Doctor.

So I have to ask, is it a good RPG? I'm taking that picture to mean you're at least a bit of an authority on it, while the closest I am to one is having listened to almost all of the System Mastery archive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jivjov posted:

The reissued volume Two with the matching trade dress on the spine.

• Locked thread