Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

I went to fix the over-resisting pick-up coil by replacing it with a British-made one since they're well-known for making high quality electronics. :v:

Anyways, the shrink wrap I used to cover the soldered joints is definitely NOT up to the task. I didn't take into account the high temperatures that poo poo has to deal with inside the engine, so it was all warped and falling apart when I pulled it off. I cut off the original fiberglass sleeve thinking I wouldn't need it, and now it's turning out to be a huge pain in the rear end to find the same stuff. What do you guys use in this application, and where the hell do you get it in small quantities?

Try silicon tape.

E:this stuff. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AEBKYPG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475253015&sr=1-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Silicon+tape

builds character fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You think that'll hold up to oil and heat? I've never used it before, so I don't know how durable it actually is.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

You think that'll hold up to oil and heat? I've never used it before, so I don't know how durable it actually is.

Yes. It's great stuff.

"Heat Resistant - Rescue tape can handle temperature up to 500F before it melts. Most people keep it in their
car for emergency radiator hose repair but remember you can apply it on any kind of surface so any hot pipe can be
easily repaired."

e: make sure to really stretch it as you're applying it. <-- this will make more sense once you actually have it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:mad: silicone tape.

this is a super pet peeve of mine

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

maybe he meant this:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

same. I have to constantly remind my spouse that silicon valley is in the bay area and silicone valley is in southern nevada.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I wish I could say I had done it on purpose. But I can't.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Was given free LED indicators so I installed those on the front, but I really want to get an integrated brake/indicator for the back. They look way better!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

abigserve posted:

Was given free LED indicators so I installed those on the front, but I really want to get an integrated brake/indicator for the back. They look way better!

They're a great form over function mod, it's true.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

lol if you think I ride a ducati for "function"

or "reliability", "value", ummmmmm what else is there

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

abigserve posted:

lol if you think I ride a ducati for "function"

or "reliability", "value", ummmmmm what else is there

What I mean is they look cool, but make your indicators harder for all of the other muppets on the road to see because the indicator LEDs are muddled in with the brake/tail LEDs.

If I'm not mistaken, the ADR requirements for indicator separation also make them illegal in Australia, if you care about that.

If you decide to get one anyway, remember the only thing that looks cooler than an integrated tail light is one which has a smoked lens!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What I mean is they look cool, but make your indicators harder for all of the other muppets on the road to see because the indicator LEDs are muddled in with the brake/tail LEDs.

If I'm not mistaken, the ADR requirements for indicator separation also make them illegal in Australia, if you care about that.

If you decide to get one anyway, remember the only thing that looks cooler than an integrated tail light is one which has a smoked lens!

Smoked can be fine if you have a kit with a bunch of really bright assed LEDs behind it. But it's hard for me to come up with a vehicle offhand where that would actually look good. Most cars that have ugly rear end lights won't be any less ugly because you made some of them kind of match your paint.

e: You can actually buy smoked lenses for a DRZ lol

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Marxalot posted:

Smoked can be fine if you have a kit with a bunch of really bright assed LEDs behind it.

Sure, but when does that ever happen?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
wrong thread

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Marxalot posted:

Smoked can be fine if you have a kit with a bunch of really bright assed LEDs behind it. But it's hard for me to come up with a vehicle offhand where that would actually look good.

DRC Edge with upgraded internal circuit/leds not only looked awesome on the WR250X, but was completely visible and discernable by people behind me. I think this is a special case, though, as the edge matches the styling of the WRx perfectly. I wouldn't put one on my 690 in a million years, and admit that the stock signals and brake on the 690 are far and away brighter and more noticeable than any bike I've ridden.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In the USA it's always a mishmash of federal and state law, but here's the California turn signal requirement:

quote:

Turn Signals (24951, 24952, 24953 VC). A turn signal system,
if installed, shall include four turn signal lamps, two single-faced
or two double-faced front lamps, and two single-faced rear
lamps. The two lamps at each end shall be mounted at least nine
inches apart and as far apart as practicable, with the front lamps
at least four inches from the nearest luminous edge of the low
beam headlamp. Motorcycles manufactured and first registered
on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles if speed
attainable in one mile is 30 mph or less, are required to be
equipped with turn signal systems with the front turn signal
lamps spaced at least 16 inches apart and the rear turn signal
lamps spaced at least 9 inches apart.
The lamp shall be so
connected that the front and rear lamps on the side toward which
a turn is signaled shall flash simultaneously. The system shall
also include a flasher and a visual indicator to the driver that the
turn signal lamps are on. The rear sections of double-faced front
lamps may serve as the required indicators. The lamps shall
project white or amber light to the front and red or amber light to
the rear. The lamps shall be plainly visible from 300 feet to front
taillamp, stoplamp, back-up lamp, or turn signal lamp may have
an unlighted lens color that is darker than the lighted color, and
any such lamps that are in addition to the minimum required
number may be white or yellow when unlighted.

So if you have any modern bike, you need turn signals and the rear ones have to be at least 4.5 inches off the centerline of the vehicle. Integrated units won't meet that requirement.

Not that any cop will give a poo poo unless you give them a reason to, of course.

But if you use an integrated unit on the street you're still assuming that car drivers are mind-readers IMO

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've been harassed once by a chp bike for my indicators being "too small". Yeah I know, but you also expect other drivers to be looking at my rear end and not facebook.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Oil question:

Manual says a 10w30 for my VFR. During the first service they put in 20w50 mineral. I'm in Sydney, does it matter what oil I put in as long as it's between a 10w30 and 20w50?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The second number matters always. Get them to replace it with 30-weight for free. 50 is way too thick. Was this done at a dealer? They're voiding your warranty.

The first number is good to match as well, but it only really matters if you regularly get very cold mornings or freezing temperatures. In warmer climates, it's okay to go up 10 there, but the only reason you'd do that is if you're cheap as there are no other benefits than cost to running a higher W number.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Laaaame. That sucks. I also found a great post on some rider forum when was I was looking about info for bar end mirrors:

https://netrider.net.au/threads/legalities-mirrors.137433/

quote:

No [they aren't illegal], lots of bars where I drink have them

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marxalot posted:

Smoked can be fine if you have a kit with a bunch of really bright assed LEDs behind it. But it's hard for me to come up with a vehicle offhand where that would actually look good. Most cars that have ugly rear end lights won't be any less ugly because you made some of them kind of match your paint.

e: You can actually buy smoked lenses for a DRZ lol

My first 919 was dark dark dark grey with a tail tidy and a smoked integrated taillight made it look utterly phenomenal (from the back).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
All these problems would go away if tail units stopped looking like over-evolved ovipositors.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm finally almost done with this fuckassery after 8 loving hours of miserable wrenching this weekend. Who would have thought swapping from clipons to bars was such a pain in the rear end

Needs reservoir mount, some kinda macgyver solution for the brake switch sensor (I put on an R1 MC) maybe throttle cables rotated downwards, slack adjustment (no slack atm, drat near ripped my head off), other mirror

Handlebars own and I'll never have a streetbike without them again tho

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I thought the SVNs came with bars, is that a conversion to naked?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

S forcibly "converted" to N because of a crash by PO

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

M42 posted:

Handlebars own and I'll never have a streetbike without them again tho

This is the correct mindset. Proper bars just make a world of difference in comfort and control. Bike is looking better and better, too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

M42 posted:

I'm finally almost done with this fuckassery after 8 loving hours of miserable wrenching this weekend. Who would have thought swapping from clipons to bars was such a pain in the rear end

Me! After weeks of research and debating the various solutions for getting a set of bars on my Hawk, I eventually decided "gently caress it" and just found a set of the original high clipons and decided that they were good enough. Way better than the low ones the PO stuck on.

But yeah, wide bars (or equivalent) with enough rise that you don't break your back are critical on a street bike. Just feels right.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Barnsy posted:

Oil question:

Manual says a 10w30 for my VFR. During the first service they put in 20w50 mineral. I'm in Sydney, does it matter what oil I put in as long as it's between a 10w30 and 20w50?

20w50 is bad for your VFR.
It's fine for Air cooled v-twins like Harleys (and I think some Ducati owners swear by it) but you shouldn't be putting that molasses in your bike.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Over the past couple days I did my fork seals and installed new springs, changed my oil, and jb welded the bracket the skidplate bolts to.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's fine for Air cooled v-twins like Harleys (and I think some Ducati owners swear by it) but you shouldn't be putting that molasses in your bike.

I use it in my Mazda. Dinosaur molasses oil only!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Most manufacturers publish a range depending on expected ambient temperature. If he's got an earlier model bike, and Sydney gets sorta hot I hear, it's quite possible they're just following the manual rec for his bike. The newer ones range from 10w30-40, but I've seen a fair number of manuals that recommend 20w50 for hot weather use.

Other bikes that also use 10w50 or 60 from the factory: KTM, MV. It's certainly not "molasses".

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Z3n posted:

Most manufacturers publish a range depending on expected ambient temperature. If he's got an earlier model bike, and Sydney gets sorta hot I hear, it's quite possible they're just following the manual rec for his bike. The newer ones range from 10w30-40, but I've seen a fair number of manuals that recommend 20w50 for hot weather use.

Other bikes that also use 10w50 or 60 from the factory: KTM, MV. It's certainly not "molasses".

It's a 2015 model, but really the engine is the same as the 2005. I'm supposed to see them next week for a minor warranty fix, I'll hit them up about it. We're coming into summer here so that may have been their logic, but the manual clearly states 10w30 and 20w50 is a rather large jump...

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 5, 2016

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
put some FARKLE ARMOR on today. it was a pain. if i ever have to remove it again i'm going to throw it off a cliff instead.

pro tip, if you want to install these do yourself a favor and time it with a coolant change too and just dismantle/remove it. will be a thousand times easier.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I finally got it running again. Hopefully this time the pickup coil lasts for longer than a track day.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Z3n posted:

Triumph also.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

JHVH-1 posted:

I was thinking of getting those for my v7 with the bar ends off guzzi tech. Do you have them mounted above or below the bars? Maybe you can post a pic?

Not sure if these are the same bar ends, but I went with this kit from AF1: https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=78720
The only gotcha was that I needed to add a thin washer on the throttle side to give it a little bit more room to rotate freely. And threadlocker is a must too.

I put them above the bars; but my only reason was that I don't have to look down too far to see what's going on back there. I'll see about getting a pic up this weekend. So far I am liking them though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Installed an o2 sensor eliminator on the KTM 690 SMC and IT'S A WHOLE NEW WORLD. Every bit of throttle snatchiness, especially in first and second under 3k rpm, is entirely gone. The sensitive throttle at those levels is gone too. Everything is smooth as butter, without losing any of the insane power I've come to love. The plug was a pain to get at, though.

Keeping this bike until I can afford a 1290, thank you very much.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
How does it trim for elevation?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

How does it trim for elevation?

Do modern EFI bikes not have barometric pressure sensors? How do efi bikes without o2 sensors correct for altitude?

In other news, green potato:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Whadup, 250 trail bike bro. The Sherpa is just a green Serow.