Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I'm hoping for the next game they just have the Final forms be accessed like the other forms a Rider has, they already have a mechanic in play to restrict the stronger regular forms(most of OOO's Combos, Axel form, Type Formula, Lemon Jinba to name a couple examples) from being immediately used, could use it for Final Forms as well, just with even higher restrictions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Simon The Digger posted:

I think Chaser is my favorite of the DLC characters. His attacks are just so meaty and satisfying, and the fact that you actually have to wait for the Signal Axe to light up green like in the show before you can use his Triangle + Circle special is hilarious. I kind of wish that Super Machine Chaser was his actual super form instead of just showing up for his finisher but oh well.

Nice

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

A lot of special moves in that game are like that, like Kabuto's Rider Kick, where you have to manually punch in each of the four button presses before he does the kick

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I'm hoping for the next game they just have the Final forms be accessed like the other forms a Rider has, they already have a mechanic in play to restrict the stronger regular forms(most of OOO's Combos, Axel form, Type Formula, Lemon Jinba to name a couple examples) from being immediately used, could use it for Final Forms as well, just with even higher restrictions

Yeah, I find myself wishing I had more time to play around with some of the crazier final forms like Cosmic States, Type Tridoron and Kiwami Arms. Maybe they could have a thing where you can switch between the current final form system and one where you have permanent access to those forms but without the current system's benefits (vastly increased attack power and defense, infinite combo timer, etc.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Movie teaser is out.

https://youtu.be/MR6RnVkI4pg

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Honestly, I liked the tone of that trailer. It's definitely not a movie designed to invoke any kind of nostalgia, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Down ten minutes later. That was quick.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
It's back up on the Lionsgate channel at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-C4qqsgs8w. I suppose it did the job, because I'm actually interested in seeing it now. Cherrypicked teaser and all, but the cast looks like they work well together, and I liked the tone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Not sure how I feel about the Breakfast Club by way of Spider-Man tone/plot, it'd be easy to screw up, but we'll see.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, that is deliberately as far from toku as they could possibly manage

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Well, that trailer reminded me of the 2015 Fantastic Four movie. That's not a good sign.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

gourdcaptain posted:

Well, that trailer reminded me of the 2015 Fantastic Four movie. That's not a good sign.

has there been a single good sign about this movie?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's like a Star Wars trailer that was all Mark Hamill and Carrie Fischer, with zero Alec Guinness and James Earl Jones. Or, perhaps more appropriately, all Hayden Christensen and no Christopher Lee.

They're doing the Lucas thing of hiring a bunch of pretty faces nobody's heard of and adding a select few People Who Can Act That You Know From Previous Movies in some important but limited roles, and they showed a combined one second of the latter. You got a second of Banks, no Cranston, no Hader, etc. Part of this is because Lionsgate will boil any project down to a "Teens Go In The Woods And Finds Paranormal Object" story.

I think it's dumb that they're super strong in their everyday street attire, but I guess it's better than the old concept where literally everybody couldn't get enough of martial arts. And it's happened before; I remember when DinoThunder gave JDF the "superpower" of disappearing. :nallears:

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

has there been a single good sign about this movie?

Oh no. But there's bad signs and then theres "is like one of the most notorious flops in recent memory."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the original show was incredibly silly in many ways, but this is a nostalgia grab that tries to ditch everything possible that people might be nostalgic about. it seems like everyone involved is vaguely ashamed that they are making a power rangers movie.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

it's telling when you can spot a bunch of inspirations and influences and none of them are the actual source material

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's MMPRTM with modern YA story beats replacing inexplicable skydiving sequences and a fat guy dancing the swim. There will be fewer one liners because it'll be taking itself more seriously, but whether or not that's actually progress is debatable since it's generally better when campy movies are self-aware.

At least this time you know going in that it's a totally odd canon of it's own, and won't be confused like you were in PR96 when Goldar hung out with a pigman or they busted out radar visors and whips.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, what stands out most to me about this trailer is that it is 100% modern American YA tone and style. They don't appear to be trying to evoke nostalgia at all but rather capture the modern superhero/oppressed teen fads using a familiar IP.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, what stands out most to me about this trailer is that it is 100% modern American YA tone and style. They don't appear to be trying to evoke nostalgia at all but rather capture the modern superhero/oppressed teen fads using a familiar IP.

I'm 100% behind this

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Trini seems to have a personality for the first time in ever, at least.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

ImpAtom posted:

You know what toku would have worked better with a modern american YA tone and style?

Think about it, it's already halfway there: A lone teen comes from a life of privilege which is ripped from him and his brother by a monolithic evil organization and forces him to fight for his life with his ~*special powers*~ to get his life and his brother back.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I don't think they had to go and be faithful to a T with this movie, but it would've been more interesting if they did a Speed Racer type movie and have fun with the concept rather than the more generic thing they went with instead

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

You know what toku would have worked better with a modern american YA tone and style?

Think about it, it's already halfway there: A lone teen comes from a life of privilege which is ripped from him and his brother by a monolithic evil organization and forces him to fight for his life with his ~*special powers*~ to get his life and his brother back.

Kamen Rider will never be a thing in America, no matter how many ideas I have for it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Trini seems to have a personality for the first time in ever, at least.

Trini is the one who was the absolute flattest character, though she had some things to her.

She was tech inclined, fairly smart just not obsessive like Billy, and could be the more sarcastic and socially forward of the group. She also vaguely had some honor stuff to fighting but that was like an episode.

And the problem is, to me, they're using the names, but they really shouldn't. None of these characters are anything like the season 1 cast.

Now the season 1 cast were not paragons of personality. There's a reason why Tommy hit it off so well, as the only one who even had the illusion of depth and a rudimentary character arc that was given any serious screen time.

But the others all had personalities. They were characters. Jason was always on, always super serious, had a bit of a temper. He pushed himself further than was healthy a lot of the time and put the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Kimberly was a total valley girl to begin with, which you could easily update and make work.

Zack was an actual character that had lines and poo poo. I can't comment on the new Zack, but it looks like they're taking more from Adam for him, and not even Adam with a personality Adam. We're talking season 2 almost never talks Adam. Zack was one of the most dynamic and fun of the original team, especially because of his flaws, and he wasn't as straight goody goody as the others. Remember he was the one who said gently caress you to Zordon and left first.

And Billy

Oh boy Billy.

Billy was always a nerd, but in MMPR, he was a kind of super genius nerd. The kind you don't see around much anymore. He tried to do things, he just was bad at it.

This Billy honestly seems like they just made him a Hollywood Nerd, while being an idiot. And, though it was only one scene of it, they kind of made him seem like the comic relief black guy.

I really hope that's not the case.

You could do a lot of interesting things with the archetypes from season 1 especially modernized. They seem to have just abandoned those entirely in favor of modern cliches.

Which yeah, the original team were mostly cliches of their era- but that's why they could work NOW. What were cliches then, aren't really cliches anymore, and if you gave them depth and something to work with, you could easily make them very interesting.

They aren't though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
american children just don't care about bug men, even if they do karate and ride motorcycles.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Burkion posted:

Now the season 1 cast were not paragons of personality. There's a reason why Tommy hit it off so well, as the only one who even had the illusion of depth and a rudimentary character arc that was given any serious screen time.

If you actually go back and watch the series, Tommy isn't actually as cool as we all thought he was. He's really just a socially awkward dweeb who desperately wants to be accepted, and it's way more relatable.

quote:

Kimberly was a total valley girl to begin with, which you could easily update and make work.

As much as a lot of the marketing pushed this, it's actually patently untrue in the series itself. Sure, she was fashionable, but she was absolutely not a vapid valley girl.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Kamen Rider will never be a thing in America, no matter how many ideas I have for it.

I think it can, it just needs another chance, and to be handled at least semi competently, also assuming Saban is the one who brings it over, they need to cross promote it with Power Rangers as hard as possible

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Parallax posted:

I don't think they had to go and be faithful to a T with this movie, but it would've been more interesting if they did a Speed Racer type movie and have fun with the concept rather than the more generic thing they went with instead

I am 100% in favor of more movies being like Speed Racer.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Waffleman_ posted:

Considering what happened to Sentai, I think that's a Good Thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think Power Rangers just kinda came along at the right time for America to accept something like that. Almost the entirety of Saban's 90s output is them trying to recapture the magic of Power Rangers and it never catching on as well. They even tried to make their own toku in Tir Na Nog!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i once watched an episode of tir na nog in germany, with a german dub. it was magical.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I think Power Rangers just kinda came along at the right time for America to accept something like that. Almost the entirety of Saban's 90s output is them trying to recapture the magic of Power Rangers and it never catching on as well. They even tried to make their own toku in Tir Na Nog!

Well Masked Rider wasn't as successful as they wanted, but VR Troopers did decently, and Beetleborgs was actually more popular than Power Rangers for a while, only reason Saban ended any of those ones was cause they ran out of source footage(mid to late 90's seems to have been kinda a bad time for Tokusatsu over in Japan outside of Sentai and Ultraman), as for Mystic Knights, that got canned more cause Saban ran into financial issues and they had to choose between it and Power Rangers, and PR won out

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 8, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

If you actually go back and watch the series, Tommy isn't actually as cool as we all thought he was. He's really just a socially awkward dweeb who desperately wants to be accepted, and it's way more relatable.

As much as a lot of the marketing pushed this, it's actually patently untrue in the series itself. Sure, she was fashionable, but she was absolutely not a vapid valley girl.

You're entirely right and that's part of why revisiting the show is cool. Also Tommy has one of the best super hero arcs across his various rises and falls as the Green Ranger.

With Kimberly, the edge of the valleygirl persona is there, but it's overshadowed by her other aspects. Which is why I think she's a pretty good character, even if she's not that dynamic. She's not as socially forward as Trini was, often it was Trini spearheading the various nonsense after school stuff, but she did get involved of her own free will. She also had a serious interest in gymnastic that went beyond most of the others interests in Karate. She did choose to be a gymnast over everything else. And while it almost never came up, her parents were divorced and she dealt with that too.

Divorced parents wasn't a thing that got brought up too often back in the early 90s, and if you read between the lines it only strengthens her character in how she isn't defined by it. There are more cynical reasons for why, but that's what expanding on the source material is all about.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Of course we all know Bulk and Skull are the best human characters on the show(it's a shame they squandered the opportunity they had with Bulk coming back for Samurai, it's just bizarre how disconnected the parts with him and Spike were from everything else in the show)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I still want to write a play called Bulk and Skull Are Dead, a la Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

american children just don't care about bug men, even if they do karate and ride motorcycles.

uh

I thought that trailer looked bad. The people comparing it to the Fantastic Four reboot are spot-on. Another one of these "reboots that might as well be an all-new product" type deals.

Then again, when you don't show the suits, monsters, or robots, it's no wonder that it'd give that kind of impression.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
https://twitter.com/ApolloGeese/status/784892744204419074

Is it weird that this gave me visceral flashbacks to the opening of Kingdom Hearts 1?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Waffleman_ posted:

I think Power Rangers just kinda came along at the right time for America to accept something like that.

Yeah, like four years after TMNT was the right time for a team of color-coordinated dudes to save the city with live acting and fights that smash buildings. MMPR worked but it also worked because TMNT seeded the soil and fans of the CBS cartoon wanted something edgier that wasn't as edgy as the actual Eastman & Laird comic.

MMPR almost failed if Fox hadn't marketed the poo poo out of Green With Evil (which also had a pretty good adaption on top of it). You couldn't go a single commercial break on Animaniacs without a masked green ranger introducing himself and threatening to wipe the team out with campy Evil Tommy moowahhahhah laughter.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
the ghost ex aid vs movie features pac man, apparently, which is really bad news for ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
There's a teaser!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6Kicd0_F4

And a poster!

• Locked thread