Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Stephen Merchant is playing Caliban? How utterly bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sentinel Red posted:

Especially when they had Caliban in Apocalypse this year, with a character take that does not match up with what Merchant would normally play. It feels like every X-men movie is a reboot where they can never decide the tone or characters they want to go with

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just like the comics

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Who the gently caress is Caliban?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

purple death ray posted:

A Morlock with the power to track mutants who hung out with X-Factor for awhile and then became one of Death of Apocalypse's Horsemen in X-Cutioner's Song.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sentinel Red posted:

Seems pretty fitting for early 80s Caliban.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

purple death ray posted:

Caliban was the Morlock who tried to force Kitty Pryde to marry him when she was like, 14, but then learned about the true meaning of love and friendship. He survived the Mutant Massacre, joined up with X-Force, signed on with Apocalypse to become strong and became his Hellhound (and later a few different horsemen) and then worked with various X-Teams over the years and I think died once or twice. He can sense other mutants and Apocalypse made him swole. He's actually a really great character who has had some legitimately tragic character arcs over the last 30 years.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

A Morlock with the power to track mutants who hung out with X-Factor for awhile and then became one of Death of Apocalypse's Horsemen in X-Cutioner's Song.

Without a comma I read this the first time to mean his power was limited to tracking only mutants who had hung out with X-Factor for a while.

"Caliban, find me Colossus!"
"Has he been chilling with X-Factor lately?"
"What? I seriously doubt--"
"Can't help ya, bud."

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I thought the way they did Caliban in Apocalypse was pretty cool.

Then again Logan reportedly takes place in 2024 so that may be why it's a different actor since he would ostensibly be 40 years older.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I spoke to soon, it's not even the oddest thing regarding him I've read today...

..Stephen Merchant is replacing Richard O'Brien in The Crystal Maze?

Man, I've always wanted to go on that show. Only I'd be a jerk and turn it into a last man standing/worst run ever thing, getting my teammates locked in at every opportunity and end up with 5 seconds in the Dome, tops.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

spooky like this! posted:

So according to this pdf Guardians of the Galaxy has the most on screen deaths of any movie ever. The important thing is "on screen" which doesn't count stuff like planets blowing up in Star Wars. The thing that puts it over the top is the part where all the Nova Corp ships blow up. They claim they counted each one and use the earlier scene where you see that each ship is a one seater. Apparently the group who did this compared over 600 movies.

The final total :83,871

I never really got into the Nova comics, but wasn't the whole gist of that being every Nova Corp red shirt gets vaporized expect for one, so he gets all of their combined power?

I guess maybe 80,000 troops makes up such a low percentage that it was just like chugging an energy drink to the rest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They were completely different in the movie.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

They were completely different in the movie.

That's a shame. I wanted John C. Reilly to become the most powerful person in the Marvel U.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ghost Dog & Black Panther are having a team up

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/784520049205927936

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Disney really like getting the full mileage out of their actors.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sony is making a biopic William Moulton Marston, his wife, their lover and the creation of Wonder Woman.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-wonder-woman-creators-20161007-snap-story.html

Hell yeah.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sony is making a biopic William Moulton Marston, his wife, their lover and the creation of Wonder Woman.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-wonder-woman-creators-20161007-snap-story.html

Hell yeah.

Sweet. If this is received well, maybe they'll eventually do a film about the rise of comics in the 90s with Matt Damon as Rob Liefeld and Christian Bale as Todd McFarlane.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

teagone posted:

Sweet. If this is received well, maybe they'll eventually do a film about the rise of comics in the 90s with Matt Damon as Rob Liefeld and Christian Bale as Todd McFarlane.

this is loving creepy how obvious that is

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

In before some racist rear end in a top hat suggest John Cho as Jim Lee.

THERE ARE OTHER ASIAN ACTORS HOLLYWOOD.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Jackie Chan?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Ghost Dog & Black Panther are having a team up

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/784520049205927936

Whitaker as Zuri is good casting. Whitaker as anything is good casting though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He doesn't have an accent though so he's probably like top of the list.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

X-O posted:

Whitaker as Zuri is good casting. Whitaker as anything is good casting though.

Whitaker in Battlefield Earth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mycot posted:

Whitaker in Battlefield Earth.

Was fantastic casting. He was the only one clearly aware of how terrible the movie he was in was going to be.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Are we sure it's ghost dog Whitaker and not last king of Scotland Whitaker?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

greatn posted:

Are we sure it's ghost dog Whitaker and not last king of Scotland Whitaker?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are we getting the Whitaker from one of his most loved performances or from his best performance? Uh, I guess I'll take either one really.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean he could be the villain

Unmature
May 9, 2008

teagone posted:

This is the most I've wanted an online dream casting since that goon suggested real life couple Laurence Fishburne and Gina Torres as Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Woman.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

But John Cho is Korean, like Jim Lee. I'd probably cast Daniel Dae Kim or Steven Yuen though. Daniel Dae Kim looks more like Lee I think. Him, Bale, and Damon would need that de-aging tech from Civil War and Ant-Man for the scenes when they're younger.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rhyno posted:

I do want the new actor Philip Ng (from the new Bruce Lee biopic) in a comic book movie. But I am not sure this is what I had in mind.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Why are people casting Damon as Liefeld when Jesse Plemons exists?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dacap posted:

They look exactly like each other, holy poo poo. :stonk:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dacap posted:

I am mentally screaming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Meth Damon does make a better Rob Liefeld than Matt Damon.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Did the Ghost in the Shell trailer get brought up in here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GNm7IHLHgY

I think it looks weird.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

'Official Teaser Trailer #1' is deceptive. That's a bunch of tiny social media teases stitched together.

Takeshi Kitano's in it. I'm there.

e: Here's the trailer for Valiant's live action series.
Keep in mind, they hired a fan film company to make it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQcLClgLfkg

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 9, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O straight out of a PS2 cut scene!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Here's the trailer for Valiant's live action series.
Keep in mind, they hired a fan film company to make it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQcLClgLfkg

Wait, so Ninjak is a white guy too? I mean, I guess I should have seen that coming considering Bloodshot...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

WickedHate posted:

Wait, so Ninjak is a white guy too? I mean, I guess I should have seen that coming considering Bloodshot...

ninjak was always a white guy yeah

the elevator pitch is "ninja james bond"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dacap posted:

Yeah, I mentioned Plemons in the CineD comic book movie thread when the idea was brought up, but I think you'd need someone with more renown/more recognizable like Damon to pair up with Bale. If you cast Plemons as Liefeld, I suggested Aaron Paul as McFarlane instead. Haha, it's hilarious how serious I am taking this fan casting.

[edit] Interestingly enough, Liefeld actually did write a script about his career and the rise of Image in the '90s, but he casted Chris Pine as himself because of course he would. You can see some excerpts from his screenplay here: http://www.dreammoviecast.com/news/dream-movies/exclusive-rob-liefeld-icons-screenplay-image-comics-casting-picks

teagone fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 9, 2016

• Locked thread