Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Roger the Kangaroo is even more jacked than ever before

He knows you're jealous

He's from an alternate dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Jenner posted:

Also bigger hearts still break. (gently caress you, Brenda!)

She got you too eh?

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012

Istari posted:

I just said he was from Australia, I didn't feel the need to specify which Australian state.

Oh poo poo, don't turn this whole thing into a lamington throwing argument...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

johnnyratbastard posted:

Lamingtons are Australian but they were invented by a French dude.

(For god's sake no one mention pavolovas ...)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

johnnyratbastard posted:

There really is a long and storied tradition of claiming things are Australian when they have any tenuous link to us at all. But we'll flip flop on it in a heartbeat - Russell Crowe is 100% Australian when he's winning Oscars, but when he's throwing phones at hotel staff, nahh, he's a Kiwi.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

There really is a long and storied tradition of claiming things are Australian when they have any tenuous link to us at all. But we'll flip flop on it in a heartbeat - Russell Crowe is 100% Australian when he's winning Oscars, but when he's throwing phones at hotel staff, nahh, he's a Kiwi.

You still get Mel, birthplace be damned

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012

Memento posted:

It's becoming quite the Crowded House in here. Sure to be some pavlovian responses.

Sorry.

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!

Jenner posted:

Also bigger hearts still break. (gently caress you, Brenda!)

DandyLion posted:

She got you too eh?

Lets apreciate these for a bit.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roger the Kangaroo is even more jacked than ever before

He knows you're jealous

Kangaroo Jacked :eyepop:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/IamGabrielLuna/status/780963022302957569

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't get it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't get it.

Maybe ghost riding the ghost rider?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DandyLion posted:

Maybe ghost riding the ghost rider?

Yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBJFCO-EKuQ&t=137s

But it didn't look so impressive in real life :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgQeE8JTNZA

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

i am no mechanic, but flames coming out the intake on a supercharger isn't a good thing. I hope he's got AAA

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

spog posted:

i am no mechanic, but flames coming out the intake on a supercharger isn't a good thing. I hope he's got AAA

He's got 666

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Why is he driving a muscle car? Isn't Ghost Rider's whole shtick centered around motorcycles?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Skippy McPants posted:

Why is he driving a muscle car? Isn't Ghost Rider's whole shtick centered around motorcycles?

One of them rode a train

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Skippy McPants posted:

Different Ghost Rider

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jusupov posted:

One of them rode a train

One of them rode Bagger 288

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tbhinmnik

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

What the hell is Bagger 288... HOLY CRAP!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Parkingtigers posted:

What the hell is Bagger 288... HOLY CRAP!

It's 220m long, 96m high and weighs about 13,500 tons. It's about the size of an ocean liner but with a giant spinning sawblade:

Oh and it's mobile - they had to move it from one mine to another 22km away in 2001 so we got scenes like this:

They couldn't really maneuver it around stuff so they had to tear down power lines and pile up cushions of sand over highways and train tracks.

Also if you drive your bulldozer too close to it it'll just eat it:

Note that this wasn't a pissy little roadworks dozer, this was a huge mining dozer.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Oct 7, 2016

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
and so slow you can outpace it with a light jog

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What the gently caress? Did someone forget to tell Marvel it ain't 1994?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Buckets posted:

and so slow you can outpace it with a light jog

Yeah it took it 3 weeks to move 22km. :haw:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
'Straya. :australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq3UMdWD1Es

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:stare:
How do people still get eaten by crocodiles? Just make all Australians carry a "smackin' flip flop."

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

How do people still get eaten by crocodiles? Just make all Australians carry a "smackin' flip flop."

Flip flops (thongs, as they're called here) are prevailant, most Aussies actually do.

That said, it's a weird little bit of trivia that native wildlife don't typically gently caress with native aboriginals. If a white guy tried that same trick I'm not sure the croc would have turned tail.

Up North it's common to see aboriginals and their kids swimming in creeks known to be full of crocs, with no problems. White person looks at the water for longer than half a second and its a one way ticket to deathroll town.

Australian Native Aboriginals are magic, is what I'm saying.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Panfilo posted:

Why is having an oversized heart so bad? I heard this is common with people that have gigantism. I'd think having a football sized heart would give you excellent circulation for physical activity.
The weird thing about your heart is that it has to supply itself with blood, so it strangely becomes both the supplier and a consumer of oxygenated blood. The human body seems to get confused by this inherent contradiction too, and often responds in counterproductive ways to cardiac output deficiencies. As the muscle tissue on your heart grows, it becomes more difficult for it to oxygenate itself, because it is increasing the demand on itself. Also the body is a bit sloppy in how it stretches out the muscle fibers around an enlarged heart. When normal sized the various muscle bands are lined up in a balanced manner to give good efficient squeezes of the ventricle, but as it stretches out suddenly previously well aligned muscle fibers are no longer lined up perfectly and they have to work a lot harder to accomplish their task. It's the difference between a small but efficiently planned and implemented heart versus a larger slapdash mess working at cross purposes with itself.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Subvisual Haze posted:

The weird thing about your heart is that it has to supply itself with blood, so it strangely becomes both the supplier and a consumer of oxygenated blood. The human body seems to get confused by this inherent contradiction too, and often responds in counterproductive ways to cardiac output deficiencies. As the muscle tissue on your heart grows, it becomes more difficult for it to oxygenate itself, because it is increasing the demand on itself. Also the body is a bit sloppy in how it stretches out the muscle fibers around an enlarged heart. When normal sized the various muscle bands are lined up in a balanced manner to give good efficient squeezes of the ventricle, but as it stretches out suddenly previously well aligned muscle fibers are no longer lined up perfectly and they have to work a lot harder to accomplish their task. It's the difference between a small but efficiently planned and implemented heart versus a larger slapdash mess working at cross purposes with itself.

That's fascinating. How do other animals manage to pull it off? There is a bigger difference between the smallest and largest dog breeds vs a tiny and giant adult, for example.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Panfilo posted:

That's fascinating. How do other animals manage to pull it off? There is a bigger difference between the smallest and largest dog breeds vs a tiny and giant adult, for example.

To put it simply, they don't. Larger dogs do generally have shorter life spans, even before you get into the variety of health issues that happen in many (not all, but many) breeds as a side effect of breeding for certain traits.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

It's 220m long, 96m high and weighs about 13,500 tons. It's about the size of an ocean liner but with a giant spinning sawblade:

Oh and it's mobile - they had to move it from one mine to another 22km away in 2001 so we got scenes like this:

They couldn't really maneuver it around stuff so they had to tear down power lines and pile up cushions of sand over highways and train tracks.

Also if you drive your bulldozer too close to it it'll just eat it:

Note that this wasn't a pissy little roadworks dozer, this was a huge mining dozer.

How can you post this without posting this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azEvfD4C6ow

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Yeah it took it 3 weeks to move 22km. :haw:

Which is pretty much nothing considering it was estimated that taking it apart and putting it back together again at its new home could take up to 2 1/2 years.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jusupov posted:

One of them rode a train

And a bear, a shark, a panther, an elephant...

You
Oct 6, 2009

princecoo posted:

Australian Native Aboriginals are magic, is what I'm saying.

thank you for posting on the sa forums, mr. king. i'm a fan of your work.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Solice Kirsk posted:

That croc was almost certainly just interested in the dog. I've been fishing in Florida 20+ times probably and gators peace the gently caress out anytime you get close to them. I'm more scared of a manatee flipping a boat over than gators.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

That croc was almost certainly just interested in the dog. I've been fishing in Florida 20+ times probably and gators peace the gently caress out anytime you get close to them. I'm more scared of a manatee flipping a boat over than gators.

Crocs are differnt to gators in that crocs don't give a singular gently caress who you are or what you're doing, they'll ruin your poo poo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

princecoo posted:

Crocs are differnt to gators in that crocs don't give a singular gently caress who you are or what you're doing, they'll ruin your poo poo.

Well it was a freshwater croc as well, they're significantly more docile compared to their saltwater cousins. Freshies are generally 5-7 feet long and will eat fish and amphibians and the like and run away from things the same size or bigger than them. Salties are generally 12-15 feet long and know for a fact they're the biggest baddest motherfucker in the room, no matter the room. The biggest saltwater in history was slightly over 20 feet long, and weighed 2300 pounds.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

All I know is that I was terrified for that dog

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just a picture of a dead fish washed up on a beach.

They're bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

La chancla is a universal deterrent!