Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The concept behind it was good, but it just looked incredibly cheap, and the helmet really put it over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Aphrodite posted:

The way I see it, the elements of Diamondback's costume are fine. His helmet wasn't Magneto Diggle or anything, and the jumpsuit probably would have worked in a different context. They just didn't work together and didn't work as power armor.

I completely agree. Though I would say the helmet was a bit more silly than you seem to be giving it credit for.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/abrahamjoseph/status/784897736307007488

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WHAT

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sEJeWB3RA8

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dang was about to post

loving sold

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So, the Defenders are fighting Zuul?

(Seriously, who the hell is Weaver playing? The Beast? )

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

On the ending Bobby Fisher finds the folder of evidence that will clear Luke's name.

Yeah, I remember that, but that felt to me like something that would come into play more immediately, like in the next episode, which is why, like I said, I was so stunned there wasn't one. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you leave lying for a whole between-season gap. Especially when most of the time, series come back from a break between seasons having had a time skip (although I guess I can only cite Daredevil's s1-s2 gap as the sole Marvel example, maybe LC season 2 will start immediately from the end of ep13.). Mariah and Shades aren't going to just not go back for that folder, that poo poo seems like a pressing concern, not something you go "Nah it'll be fine, we'll see what Fish does with that next season"

I'm going to be legitimately mad if Daredevil season 3 or Luke Cage season 2 don't feature at least a little bit of Matt Murdock representing Luke in court. All of Claire's "I know a good lawyer" winking references is gettin' me hyped.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, I remember that, but that felt to me like something that would come into play more immediately, like in the next episode, which is why, like I said, I was so stunned there wasn't one. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you leave lying for a whole between-season gap. Especially when most of the time, series come back from a break between seasons having had a time skip (although I guess I can only cite Daredevil's s1-s2 gap as the sole Marvel example, maybe LC season 2 will start immediately from the end of ep13.). Mariah and Shades aren't going to just not go back for that folder, that poo poo seems like a pressing concern, not something you go "Nah it'll be fine, we'll see what Fish does with that next season"

I'm going to be legitimately mad if Daredevil season 3 or Luke Cage season 2 don't feature at least a little bit of Matt Murdock representing Luke in court. All of Claire's "I know a good lawyer" winking references is gettin' me hyped.

Luke and Matt are in Defenders which will air before any further seasons of their individual shows. So any loose threads will probably be handled there so they can get on with the story.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Oh poo poo, Madame Gao!

I think she might have been my favourite character in Daredevil.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I could have sworn Mephisto was going to be the villain in Defenders and Weaver would be amazing for that

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Not impressed by that trailer. In fact a lot of it is exactly what I feared it would be: Asian mooks getting mowed down by a white savior. The one redeeming presence of Colleen Wing showed suggestions of being the exotic love interest.

Ugh. Grossfest all around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Luke and Matt are in Defenders which will air before any further seasons of their individual shows. So any loose threads will probably be handled there so they can get on with the story.

Yeah, either the first episode of Defenders is Luke and Matt, or theres a flashback about them meeting around episode 3 and Defenders starts en media res.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not saying you're wrong, but like, short of making Danny not the protagonist in his own show, that should've been clear it was the case from the moment Jones was cast.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It's done and filming is wrapped. Too late to do anything about it now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'ma bitch a lot about it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I'ma bitch a lot about it.

That's fair.

I hope the fight scenes are good at least. Little disappointed that IF is having an Oldboy hallway fight considering DD did it first.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

:flashfap:

Looks awesome. I'm so excited for this.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToastyPotato posted:

On the ending Bobby Fisher finds the folder of evidence that will clear Luke's name.
Isn't Cage being arrested mainly because he escaped jail, instead of the crimes he committed and no matter what that folder says he still illegally escaped jail

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

achillesforever6 posted:

Isn't Cage being arrested mainly because he escaped jail, instead of the crimes he committed and no matter what that folder says he still illegally escaped jail

Even without that folder a good lawyer could loving crush the state's case.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Looks amazing. It's a pretty cool feeling when you see one of your favorite characters get adapted for the screen in a manner that makes you excited to see more of them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

True, but the folder proves the charges were false, and even a halfway decent lawyer could use that, plus the fact that Luke was illegally experimented on, to totally get him off the hook.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Even without that folder a good lawyer could loving crush the state's case.

I'm sensing a Defenders plot line....

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SIGOURNEY WEAVER IN DEFENDERS HOLY gently caress

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

HIJK posted:

I'm sensing a Defenders plot line....

It's about Cage's trial. Matt hires Jessica and Danny bankrolls, people wink at the camera as they call them "The Defense". Sigourney Weaver plays the sassy judge

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BrianWilly posted:

Not impressed by that trailer. In fact a lot of it is exactly what I feared it would be: Asian mooks getting mowed down by a white savior. The one redeeming presence of Colleen Wing showed suggestions of being the exotic love interest.

Ugh. Grossfest all around.

That's, like, Iron Fist's whole deal. It's like watching Luke Cage and complaining about blaxploitation. There's a reason why they were dead comics before Heroes for Hire improved both their statuses immensely; they were "inspired by" a firmly racist moviemaking tradition that Marvel ripped off entirely to make a quick buck. They were both glorified fads and only became actually, you know, good when HfH turned it into a buddy comedy/made them both best friends.

Considering how well Luke Cage handled black issues while still calling to mind its blaxploitation roots, I see no reason why Iron Fist won't. Plus that trailer looked cool as hell.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...Well they're made by different people, for one thing. Do you like Jessica Jones because you like Daredevil?

The fact that Luke Cage just came out is what makes this situation so stark. It's just disappointing that we just had an intelligent Netflix Marvel show that's all about the significance of culture and heritage and the weight and power of racial presumptions, and now we're right back to mighty whitey beating down inferior yellow henchmen. (Except for their womens! Gotta get their womens!!) Like literally imagine if the character of Luke Cage was white while everything else in that show remained the same.

People complained about this exact thing way back when Finn was cast and were told to just wait and see, and now the show preview is looking exactly like what we feared it would be. So I don't think I'ma "wait and see" anymore, I'll just go ahead and criticize this specific footage of their finished product that they chose to show us.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Danny Rand is a stand in for America, putting his own body on the line to beat back the advances of evil China.

BrianWilly posted:

...Well they're made by different people, for one thing. Do you like Jessica Jones because you like Daredevil?

This is the only explanation for Thor.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 9, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Just finished Luke Cage. Misty Knight was part of a teamup in the comics, right? I want to see that show because she was great.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

The fact that Luke Cage just came out is what makes this situation so stark. It's just disappointing that we just had an intelligent Netflix Marvel show that's all about the significance of culture and heritage and the weight and power of racial presumptions, and now we're right back to mighty whitey beating down inferior yellow henchmen. (Except for their womens! Gotta get their womens!!) Like literally imagine if the character of Luke Cage was white while everything else in that show remained the same.

People complained about this exact thing way back when Finn was cast and were told to just wait and see, and now the show preview is looking exactly like what we feared it would be. So I don't think I'ma "wait and see" anymore, I'll just go ahead and criticize this specific footage of their finished product that they chose to show us.

Dude not to be completely dismissive about your point but it's a trailer for superhero show where the hero is a kung fu master. If you didn't expect it to feature him beating the poo poo out of faceless henchmen in it I don't know what you wanted. More diversity in the faceless mooks he beats the poo poo out of?

I respect your decision to not watch/support the show, I'm sure a lot of people have stuck firmly to that stance since Jones' announcement, but it still seems pretty early to call it Mighty Whitey: The TV Show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jeph Loeb continues to tease that there may be some crossover or connection between AoS and Netflix shows, which means that there will probably be a one line mention some where later in the season where they never mention anything specifically and refer to "those vigilantes in Manhattan" or something.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Jeph Loeb continues to tease that there may be some crossover or connection between AoS and Netflix shows, which means that there will probably be a one line mention some where later in the season where they never mention anything specifically and refer to "those vigilantes in Manhattan" or something.

Can Jessica Jones give Daisy a swirly

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BrianWilly posted:

Like literally imagine if the character of Luke Cage was white while everything else in that show remained the same.

This is an absolutely absurd comparison and reads as you fundamentally misunderstanding the point of Iron Fist in comparison to the point of Luke Cage. Like, as fundamental characters.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Please, educate me as to how a white guy getting adopted into fake-China, being chosen as their savior and learning to be better at kung fu than all the other natives, and beating all the bad Chinese villains while getting to gently caress the one single heroic Asian woman in the entire cast would be drastically dissimilar from a white guy going into Harlem to teach all those black people how to be a model black person.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Probably SHIELD will get their hands on some Judas bullets

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, that's the point. Iron Fist was modeled after white boy kung fu Oriental tourism flicks, and Luke Cage was modelled after blaxploitation. It's also why I didn't get all hung up about the Danny Rand casting, because that's his legacy. Is the genre being borrowed from inherently racist? Yes. But people aping that genre of film has produced movies like Kill Bill, so I'm gonna hold off and wait until IF comes out before I get upset. That genre is so old (and specifically disused because it is racist) at this point that specifically implementing it can be used as deconstruction or commentary on the same. Like, again, blaxploitation, which the LC tv show specifically harkened back to to make further comments on race, specifically blackness in America.

I hope you were this upset about Black Dynamite before it came out.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Absolutely nothing about the production of this show or of any prior Marvel projects -- including but not limited to Daredevil and Doctor Strange -- has suggested that they aren't reproducing the inherent racism of Iron Fist wholesale. Nothing about the casting or the footage has shown any subversion of the genre, merely the regurgitation of the exact harmful tropes that people had been worrying about since day one. What exactly about the teaser makes you think that they aren't being precisely as racist as it looks at face value? Blind faith? Willful optimism? The fact that you really don't want them to be?

This isn't my first rodeo and it isn't yours either. The exact same harmful representation of Asian characters gets tossed out again and again but you're saying -- for no particular reason and in direct contrast to the empiric footage -- that, nah, this time it's totally fine and subversive and genre-savvy and I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill and hey why aren't I as mad about other things! I can't be mad about this thing if I'm not as mad as this other obscure thing! No thanks...I'll be pleasantly surprised if Iron Fist comes out and subverts all the precise racist trends that its very own teaser footage suggests that it's replicating at face value, but not before then.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Absolutely nothing about the production of this show or of any prior Marvel projects -- including but not limited to Daredevil and Doctor Strange -- has suggested that they aren't reproducing the inherent racism of Iron Fist wholesale. Nothing about the casting or the footage has shown any subversion of the genre, merely the regurgitation of the exact harmful tropes that people had been worrying about since day one. What exactly about the teaser makes you think that they aren't being precisely as racist as it looks at face value? Blind faith? Willful optimism? The fact that you really don't want them to be?

This isn't my first rodeo and it isn't yours either. The exact same harmful representation of Asian characters gets tossed out again and again but you're saying -- for no particular reason and in direct contrast to the empiric footage -- that, nah, this time it's totally fine and subversive and genre-savvy and I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill and hey why aren't I as mad about other things! I can't be mad about this thing if I'm not as mad as this other obscure thing! No thanks...I'll be pleasantly surprised if Iron Fist comes out and subverts all the precise racist trends that its very own teaser footage suggests that it's replicating at face value, but not before then.

He literally said

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I'm gonna hold off and wait until IF comes out before I get upset.

Toxx didn't accuse you of doing anything.

This is why it's almost impossible to actually discuss racism in tv production, because someone always blows their top and takes reasonable discussion as a personal insult. Relax BrianWilly, sheesh.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

If ever there were a character that could have been dramatically updated for the main stage in the modern age, Iron Fist is definitely one of them. The fact is most people who even know or care about him are probably people who know him from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon at this point, because I seriously doubt the already tiny population of comic readers are comprised of a solid majority who know Iron Fist well and actually care about the character.

It's funny because Luke Cage sparked discussions about how it's possibly racist, but I bet the same people calling Luke Cage racist won't blink twice at Iron Fist, assuming the show is accurate to the character's history.

I'm willing to wait and see because there's no harm in it at this point, but I'm not expecting a particularly progressive/modern narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If I've learned anything from the existing three Netflix series it's that the first twelve episodes of each season will be pretty good and they'll give us a lackluster stinker to close out the season.

I mean, it's different levels of stink but something in the finale is gonna be bad.