Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
What a time to be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

2spooky4me posted:

so do you have a problem with taxes on cigarettes? it's okay if you do but just be consistent about it.

Basically this,

Dead Reckoning posted:

They're lovely and regressive. I don't think it's our job to force people to be health conscious, or otherwise live their lives, because freedom means the right to make sub-optimal choices. But if you do think people are too stupid to be allowed to decide for themselves whether or not to smoke, at least have the integrity to make it illegal for everyone, instead of going for this lovely, paternalistic "it's OK to have bad habits if you're the Right Sort of Person" philosophy.

but I'm less (mildly) annoyed because cigarette smoke directly impacts people around the user. But this entire issue ranks super low on my "give a poo poo" list, seriously.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

as a water drinker I have no idea why people are freaking out on soda tax, maybe they should chill out and drink some water since water has never affected me.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dead Reckoning posted:

They're lovely and regressive. I don't think it's our job to force people to be health conscious, or otherwise live their lives, because freedom means the right to make sub-optimal choices. But if you do think people are too stupid to be allowed to decide for themselves whether or not to smoke, at least have the integrity to make it illegal for everyone, instead of going for this lovely, paternalistic "it's OK to have bad habits if you're the Right Sort of Person" philosophy.

ok, but their bad habits create negative externalities which impacts society in the form of increased healthcare costs. so it's a little bit more complicated than "hating freedom/punishing people for making suboptimal life choices".

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
y'all talk this big loving game on "regressive taxes" and poo poo but support a party that has historically denied human beings their basic civil liberties. like shut the gently caress up you don't care about poor people and regressive taxes like whatever only the cool white ones maybe

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm driving through Canada right now and just got Internet access worth a drat for the first time in three days. Wow, lots of new posts in the news thread...

:allbuttons:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

y'all talk this big loving game on "regressive taxes" and poo poo but support a party that has historically denied human beings their basic civil liberties. like shut the gently caress up you don't care about poor people and regressive taxes like whatever only the cool white ones maybe

tax everything, tax childbirth to build an apocalypse weapon to end it all.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Thank you for the new Fantasy Football teamname and logo

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

I mean I feel you but holy gently caress have the Democrats patronized minority populations in inner cities for decades.

No, both parties aren't equal, I understand that, but my rear end just can't get too excited about a log of poo poo with corn in it over a puddle of diarrhea

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
yeah maybe but IDK that's probably better than actively working against them

like yeah i wish there was a cool and awesome third party that owned but there isnt and I promise you the republicans are the bad guys

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

yeah maybe but IDK that's probably better than actively working against them

like yeah i wish there was a cool and awesome third party that owned but there isnt and I promise you the republicans are the bad guys

The Pette Dogges Party or PDP is cool and awesome

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
ah let me look back on thousands of years of history and find a time when the crazy religious backwards people were right about something

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

2spooky4me posted:

ok, but their bad habits create negative externalities which impacts society in the form of increased healthcare costs. so it's a little bit more complicated than "hating freedom/punishing people for making suboptimal life choices".
:lol: Yeah, so why is it OK to be a fatty or a smoker if you're rich? Do you really think the Trumps and Romneys are paying for all their externalities themselves? Plenty of behaviors have increased healthcare costs. Drinking. Driving instead of walking. Sleeping around. Should we means test all those too? Here's my idea: Poors have to take the AFPFT every six months, and those that fail get a flag on their EBT card that keeps them from buying butter, whole milk, cookies, soda, and other unhealthy foods.

Like I said, you don't really have personal freedom if you're only free to make the choice which the government has determined has the lowest costs for society.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ah let me look back on thousands of years of history and find a time when the crazy religious backwards people were right about something

the Native Americans knew the white man was Bad News

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/784962135818379264

http://www.mediaite.com/online/alec-baldwin-outrageously-returns-to-roast-trumps-audio-leak-i-can-do-a-lot-more-than-just-grab-it/

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: Yeah, so why is it OK to be a fatty or a smoker if you're rich? Do you really think the Trumps and Romneys are paying for all their externalities themselves? Plenty of behaviors have increased healthcare costs. Drinking. Driving instead of walking. Sleeping around. Should we means test all those too? Here's my idea: Poors have to take the AFPFT every six months, and those that fail get a flag on their EBT card that keeps them from buying butter, whole milk, cookies, soda, and other unhealthy foods.

Like I said, you don't really have personal freedom if you're only free to make the choice which the government has determined has the lowest costs for society.

Rich people have the money to make poor health choices.

but I agree we should tax soda, cigarettes and the rich.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

VikingSkull posted:

the Native Americans knew the white man was Bad News

no actually thats just a shameful thing all around and I wouldn't attribute that to anything other than humanity is garbage and should be nuked poo poo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
like people just need to chill the gently caress out for real and not murder everyone an dshit on everyone based one some book or bullshit economic theory man just do the right thing

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

no actually thats just a shameful thing all around and I wouldn't attribute that to anything other than humanity is garbage and should be nuked poo poo

the smallpox thing really got us off on a bad foot

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

Rich people have the money to make poor health choices.

Then if your baby is going to be on WIC, we taxpayers should get a say in whether or not you're allowed to conceive, right?

Maybe we should let the poor decide for themselves if they want to bear the increased future health costs of their choices. Or leave the conversation between them and their health insurer.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
fully legalize pot and tax it while you are at it. god drat that would bring in a ton of revenue from poors.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
like maybe we could not spend trillions on a made up war in Iraq and like lol make life own for everyone instead of just a few people like dick cheney and his bros

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dead Reckoning posted:

Then if your baby is going to be on WIC, we taxpayers should get a say in whether or not you're allowed to conceive, right?

Maybe we should let the poor decide for themselves if they want to bear the increased future health costs of their choices. Or leave the conversation between them and their health insurer.

That's what I think about when I gently caress, too.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh you're crazy we can't be nice like blah blah blah

man we could just like it starts with you

but maybe i'm just on too many drugs and listen to much Lennon

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Man I don't have the faintest idea. I wish we had a viable Republican candidate every year if only to challenge the democrats to field a better pick than Hillary.

I thought back in 2012 Romney was as worse as it gets. Welp.

Catching up but this.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Dead Reckoning posted:

limiting the choice of food people can get is more regressive than a tax, but keep on fighting that good fight.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
gently caress, I'm trying to sleep but my "equates cigarette taxes with forced sterilization" alarm went off.

I thought it was a broken antique, but I guess not.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

you understand how insurance works right?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Maybe we should let the poor decide for themselves

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Governments have used taxes as levers for social policy forever, Dead Reckoning. It isn't some Marxist innovation. In principle this is similar to a tax on cigarettes. The only argument against taxes on unhealthy stuff that holds any water with me :haw: is one that points out the fact that poor people have limited access to healthy alternatives. "Food deserts" exist in poor communities across the US where almost all food options are garbage that would be taxed if we went after SSBs or trans fat or whatever. The tax would just raise the cost of food for people in those areas and perpetuate the cycle of poverty.

e: That said, in my opinion the benefits far outweigh the costs. Soda isn't a necessary part of anyone's diet, no matter how few food options they have. Soda taxes have a proven track record on a local level all the way up to a national level. Mexico's success in reducing soda consumption could be replicated here.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 9, 2016

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Less taxes and poors discussion more Trump implosion news please

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Less taxes and poors discussion more Trump implosion news please

It's almost 3 am Eastern, start refreshing his Twitter

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Yeah, I'm at a bar in bumfuck nowhere British Columbia, I need a drip feed of the US imploding while I have a reasonable excuse to stay north of the border.

That massive impending earthquake in Seattle that they were talking about a while back would also do the trick.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

more Trump implosion news please

Deadly loving serious, there hasn't been anything in the past few hours except for SNL.

It's creepy, I feel lost.

Like crazy poo poo happened on a minute-by-minute basis yesterday, then it calmed down for ten minutes so I went to mow my lawn AND THEN loving MCCAIN BAILED.

It's quiet. Too quiet.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Pesticide20 posted:

It's almost 3 am Eastern, start refreshing his Twitter

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
My problem with Cigarette taxes is that some municipalities go so absolutely crazy with them for ideological reasons that they actually encourage smuggling and organized crime. Someone did a study a few years ago and came to the conclusion that something like 60% of the Cigarettes sold in NYC carried fake tax stamps and were smuggled from out of state. For every smuggled pack sold, NYC lost it's entire potential tax earning. Sin taxes are okay, but there has to be a point when you have to stop and think, "we don't live in a walled city, things can come in from outside. Does taxing this legal product at a rate drastically above neighboring cities/states actually encourage black market activity or cause us to lose revenue on this product due to smuggling and enforcement? Does it fund criminal enterprise?"

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/smuggled-untaxed-cigarettes-are-everywhere-in-new-york-city-6717621

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/10/news/companies/cigarette-tax-new-york/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Smokescreen

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 9, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

Deadly loving serious, there hasn't been anything in the past few hours except for SNL.

It's creepy, I feel lost.

Like crazy poo poo happened on a minute-by-minute basis yesterday, then it calmed down for ten minutes so I went to mow my lawn AND THEN loving MCCAIN BAILED.

It's quiet. Too quiet.

Well today is the debate, and supposedly there are two more releases yet to come about the ol' Trumpster Fire that are on par and worse than "grab her by the pussy" so today could be wonderful as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Well today is the debate, and supposedly there are two more releases yet to come about the ol' Trumpster Fire that are on par and worse than "grab her by the pussy" so today could be wonderful as well.

SNL makes a legitimate point that maybe the Hillary camp ought to pull some punches to keep Trump in the race and hurting the GOP candidates down-ticket.

• Locked thread