Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Glen McCoy for old series writer on the new. It's about time (har!) Timelash gets a sequel :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Most viewers depart the series with a scream!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

So I have to ask, is it a good RPG? I'm taking that picture to mean you're at least a bit of an authority on it, while the closest I am to one is having listened to almost all of the System Mastery archive.

I honestly haven't gotten it to the table. My IRL gaming group is consumed by either D&D or FFG Star Wars all the time. After the first couple purchases, I just started looking at the sourcebooks as basically hardcopy episode guides with fun RPG trappings sprinkled in.

That said, reading through the rule book when I first got the system really didn't leave me with a good impression. The rules are presented as if it's this rules-lite story game, with the emphasis on storytelling rather than crunch...and then you have dozens of pages of traits and skills and modifiers and whatnot.

Plus I feel that there's gonna be a lot of pressure on the GM to facilitate a LOT of player improvisation. Getting into any sort of actual combat is heavily discouraged, so every encounter has to be built around "the Doctor and his companions talk their way out of things or have some gadget to help". While that certainly is thematically appropriate to the franchise it runs very counter against most tabletop RPG experiences.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Sounds to me like it could be very good at facilitating what a Doctor Who RPG should be, but the ideal Doctor Who RPG is indeed really loving hard to do. It should ideally be a way to facilitate all the weird outside-the-box problem-solving stories you hear when people talk about their best tabletop experiences. A game for the 'figured out all the crazy ways they can use Rope Trick' crowd. I'd be on board with that.

Since I'm more familiar with computer RPGs, I feel like the closest to an ideal Doctor Who experience I've played is Fallout New Vegas. Where there's a fuckton of different ways to resolve things, most of which are so crazily esoteric they won't even occur to you in your first playthrough, and may well not include combat at all.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Since I'm more familiar with computer RPGs, I feel like the closest to an ideal Doctor Who experience I've played is Fallout New Vegas. Where there's a fuckton of different ways to resolve things, most of which are so crazily esoteric they won't even occur to you in your first playthrough, and may well not include combat at all.
Doctor Who is a Roguelike.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

Sounds to me like it could be very good at facilitating what a Doctor Who RPG should be, but the ideal Doctor Who RPG is indeed really loving hard to do. It should ideally be a way to facilitate all the weird outside-the-box problem-solving stories you hear when people talk about their best tabletop experiences. A game for the 'figured out all the crazy ways they can use Rope Trick' crowd. I'd be on board with that.

Yeah; if the GM and players are on board with the concept, the system does present extremely Doctor Who-y ways of solving problems. Heck, the conflict (not necessarily combat) resolution rules explicitly let people who are talking, doing things, or fleeing all act before people who are making a violent attack.

My only real hang up is "look at how loose and free form our rules are" about 20 pages before "here's an exhaustive list of traits and all the types of checks each one can modify.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Chris Boucher is still about, I'm sure he could write a good story ?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm kind of tempted to grab December's Early Adventures release when it comes out. I don't have any particular love for the Sontarans themselves but I enjoy when these kind of licensed releases pit Doctors against enemies we never see them face in the show so Steven, Sara and the First Doctor meeting them is a bit of a draw for me.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 12, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

I'm kind of tempted to grab December's Early Adventures release when it comes out. I don't have any particular love for the Sontarans themselves but I enjoy when these kind of licensed releases pit Doctors against enemies we never see them face in the show so Steven, Sara and the First Doctor meeting them is a bit of a draw for me.

I've got this series on subscription; I'd be happy to prioritize that one when it comes out and give you a (spoiler-free) review and yea/nay

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

I've got this series on subscription; I'd be happy to prioritize that one when it comes out and give you a (spoiler-free) review and yea/nay

That would be brill, thanks!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Short Synopsis: The Doctor has to find something he threw away and fix something he broke.

Long Synopsis: The 5th Doctor is drafted into a hunt for the Key to Time, damaged by his previous handling of it and scattering of its pieces. He and his new companion find themselves at a pivotal moment in Martian history, the consequences of which will follow them across time and space.

What's Good:
  • The Ice Warriors. One of my favorite classic series "monsters", the Ice Warriors are out-of-the-ordinary in that they're frequently written as being far more complex than just "the baddies!". Since the 3rd Doctor's era, attempts have been made to give a bit more depth to the species, to show that they can be the good guys, or that sometimes they're doing entire the right thing even if it does mean working against the show's hero. In their recent return to the Revival, the Ice Warriors were shown to be complex, honorable but most importantly alien - their culture is completely different to humans, they do things for reasons that make sense to them and take offense to things that you might not expect. They're capable of changing their minds, most importantly, give them new information and they'll adapt and react to it rather than just staying on one side or the other of the equation. This is the portrayal they get in this audio as well (which far predates the revival's Cold War, adding more to the backstory for the species Big Finish was putting together in previous stories), as we see a pre-"Warrior" version of the Martian culture, the Ice Warriors a welcoming species of artists, scientists & mathematicians who valued the community good above all and offers of themselves freely. When this welcoming attitude backfires on them and Mars is massively damaged to the point it can no longer sustain life, the "warm" Isskar becomes obsessed with tracking down the Doctor and forcing him to put things to rights, to put the toothpaste back in the tube. The Doctor's vain attempts to both apologize to Isskar and explain that not only is Mars done for but that the Ice Warriors themselves will never be able to change back, that his own species are now strangers to him. It's this dynamic between the two characters, and the throughline of the Ice Warriors' plight across the audio that is its greatest strength.

• The Doctor holding himself together. At one point, the Doctor finds himself converted (along with a number of other people and a very large structure) into a piece of the Key to Time. In order to hold himself together, he tells himself a story, a rather fractured and rambling retelling of The Three Little Pigs. Davison does a good job of selling the notion that he is barely holding himself together, that physically and mentally he is deteriorating into the fabric of the segment and it is only through an enormous effort (aided by the presence of the TARDIS) that he is able to retain any sense of self at all.

• The cliffhanger. As the story comes to its end, doom is upon the Doctor and his new companion after they (nobly) decide to sacrifice themselves so others (largely responsible for the situation!) can live. As death is upon them, the Doctor suddenly hits upon a clever idea and decides to.... and then much to the chagrin of both his companion and himself they don't get to even try it because they're hauled out of time by the booming voice of THE BLACK GUARDIAN - whatever my thoughts on the actual concept of the story itself, I thought the final lines make for a pretty solid cliffhanger.

What's Not:

• Amy and Zara. The first is the Doctor's new companion, the second the antagonist of the story and presumably whatever is left in this Key to Time sequel. There is potential to be had in both their characters and the dynamic between them but it feels far too rushed, and even back in 2009 the "ultra-powerful but kinda quirky" female character trope felt immensely overused. There is an air of aping the likes of Joss Whedon, but without any real sense of depth to the characters (and really how could there be, this is their first story) and they're written as such blank slates personality-wise that it's not particularly easy to either identify with or otherwise feel particularly strong emotions for either of them. To care about moments they come to some particular conclusion or revelation - probably the most fun comes from a scene where Amy attempts nicely to make her wanna-be torturer feel like they're accomplishing something, or when the Doctor takes particular pleasure from needling Zara.

• The Key to Time..... again? I mean, I mostly dug The Key to Time saga, mostly due to the chemistry between Tom Baker and Mary Tamm as the 4th Doctor and Romana respectively. But once it was done I didn't really feel any particularly great desire to see the thing again, and the 5th Doctor himself already mostly dealt with the fallout in The Black Guardian Trilogy, which explicitly takes place before this story (the Doctor is traveling with Peri at the start of this audio). This really feels like a story that nobody was particularly itching to see, and doesn't really do enough to justify its creation. The stakes don't feel earned, all of time and space is apparently at risk of destruction but there is no sense of urgency, no impending sense of doom, it's just like any other story but apparently it's meant to be a really big deal.... outta nowhere, just because.

• How rushed it all feels. Another problem with the supposedly huge stakes, as well as the attempts at a more personal stake in the revelation of what access to the power of the segments does to both Zara AND Amy, is how quickly the segments are collected. The first is found before the story even starts, the Doctor just realizes he picked it up by chance already. Then they go find the next one quickly and grab it up (with attendant problems arising), Zara has already found one herself and by the end of the 3rd episode they've already found the 4th. Of 6. There are only two segments left to get, which makes it feel like the "saga" is about done before it has even started. How many more stories will there be? One per remaining segment? Will they find both by the end of the next story and then be done and the Key 2 Time is over? I haven't looked it up and I'm sure as hell not asking for six audios of pursuing these things, but the quick collection of the first 4 makes it feel less like a desperate search across time and space than a casual scavenger hunt.

Final Thoughts:

The Judgement of Isskar kicks off the so-far underwhelming Key 2 Time, introducing a new companion and a new antagonist, both with potential who sadly feel a bit cliched and lacking in depth. It rushes through the collection of the first four segments so quickly there isn't much time for the supposed massive threat to really sink in and hardly makes it feel like an overwhelming task they're attempting. However, where the story pursues the actual titular character's obsession and the plight of the Ice Warriors it makes for a really interesting and at times compelling examination of the lengths a race will go to for survival, and how just the act of surviving itself can be the "death" of a culture. There was no reason that couldn't have been its own self-contained story with no tie-in to the Key 2 Time saga though, and I can only hope that once I've heard whatever other story(ies) that feature in it, the whole thing will make more sense in that context. By itself, it's just an interesting tale shoved into a less interesting overarching story.... but it does have one hell of a cliffhanger!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Oh my giddy aunt!

http://www.bbcwpressroom.com/bbc-am...wide-one-night/

quote:

New York – October 12, 2016 – BBC AMERICA and Fathom Events announced today a one-night special theatrical screening event of Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks, a six-part animated series on Monday, November 14, at 7:00pm local time – 50 years after the original BBC broadcast – in advance of the premiere on BBC AMERICA on Saturday, November 19, at 8:25pm ET. The cinema event will also feature exclusive bonus content including interviews with members of the original cast.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Finally, a Doctor Who cinema event I feel strongly about attending!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man I wonder if there is any chance that'll go worldwide :shobon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Basically all you need to know is:

quote:

Steven, Sara and the First Doctor

Peter Purves is fantastic as Steven, amazing as 1, and has done great stories with Jean Marsh's Sara. Pretty much any story with this combo is a must buy for me.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

Basically all you need to know is:

Peter Purves is fantastic as Steven, amazing as 1, and has done great stories with Jean Marsh's Sara. Pretty much any story with this combo is a must buy for me.

Yeah, I loved hearing them together again in The Anachronauts (and have An Ordinary Life waiting in my queue) so that's another draw for me.

It's one pair I was initially kind of iffy about having extra adventures inserted into their telly story given the seeming urgency in Daleks' Master Plan but then I thought of Feast of Steven and decided that that was kind of a silly concern.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of The Early Adventures...The Fifth Traveller is out now!

Edit: I guess judging by the synopsis and the cover, this is the Doctor Who edition of that Torchwood story where suddenly there's a random new guy that nobody in-story realizes is new. Neat!

jivjov fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 13, 2016

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeah, I loved hearing them together again in The Anachronauts (and have An Ordinary Life waiting in my queue)

An Ordinary Life has... interesting things to say about immigration.

It'd make an excellent double-feature with The Zygon Inversion, basically.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh. Oh...

That's a shame, given these ranges have tended to be a bit more progressive than the eras they're based on (or than the modern show occasionally dips to) like Bill getting a gay companion for a few Companion Chronicles.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The Bernice Summerfield + Unbound Doctor set is a nice antidote for that. Even in an alternate universe capitalism is still evil. :bern101:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I listened to Ordinary Life mostly while stocking the cooler at work; I must've missed the problematic bits....what did I miss?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

I listened to Ordinary Life mostly while stocking the cooler at work; I must've missed the problematic bits....what did I miss?

The story clearly wants to be a pro-immigration, anti-racist story, but the alien plot just ends up muddling everything -- particularly when it's revealed that the non-white characters have accidentally brought an infectious alien virus to England -- one that wants to infiltrate and replace contemporary British culture and replace it with its own.

It's basically every argument that reactionary anti-immigration arseholes wrapped up into a Doctor Who monster. Immigrants are dangerous because they're infectious vectors. They want to infiltrate our lives and replace our culture with theirs. Ban halal food!

It's like the story wants to be one thing, but then turns around and starts being the complete opposite of what it wanted to be. And that second thing is kinda racist.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I mainly remember An Ordinary Life as having great Steven and Sara interactions. :shrug:

It's always cool when they take people from the far future and you try and watch them survive for long periods in the present. And in a lot of these stories we get more into Steven's head and hear about his life in the future, what it was like for him to be imprisoned, adjusting to the past and time travel, etc. Far more than we did superficially on the show in the 60s when character arcs weren't really a thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The story clearly wants to be a pro-immigration, anti-racist story, but the alien plot just ends up muddling everything -- particularly when it's revealed that the non-white characters have accidentally brought an infectious alien virus to England -- one that wants to infiltrate and replace contemporary British culture and replace it with its own.

It's basically every argument that reactionary anti-immigration arseholes wrapped up into a Doctor Who monster. Immigrants are dangerous because they're infectious vectors. They want to infiltrate our lives and replace our culture with theirs. Ban halal food!

It's like the story wants to be one thing, but then turns around and starts being the complete opposite of what it wanted to be. And that second thing is kinda racist.

Ohh, yeah, I completely didn't make that connection of the "immigrants brought the "contagion" with them thing. I was focused on specific character actions and missed the less-explicit connotation made.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ah, the same metaphor that could be put on the Gelth in the Unquiet Dead.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, the same metaphor that could be put on the Gelth in the Unquiet Dead.

Yeah, except this story is actually about immigration. :shrug:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think the point the author was trying to make was definitely "bad stuff is not the fault of immigrants". But there's definitely a reading there of "look at all the bad things that came along with immigrants".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hey so it used to be I'd be the guy answering these questions but I'd taken a step back from BF for a bit so I'm kinda fuzzy.

But I met someone who wants recommendations for T.Bakes audio dramas and if anyone could throw together a quick list that'd be spectacular.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Whichever season of 4DAs that has their favorite companion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

Whichever season of 4DAs that has their favorite companion.

Sarah Jane. :smith:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Sarah Jane. :smith:

:smith: indeed

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

But I met someone who wants recommendations for T.Bakes audio dramas and if anyone could throw together a quick list that'd be spectacular.

Last of the Colophon is pretty enjoyable, and is pretty much The Invisible man in the same way that Brain of Morbius is Frankenstein.
Destroy the Infinite is also enjoyable - introduces the Eminence.
Wrath of the Icini - historical, with Leela and Boudica.
The Auntie Matter - Romana I - PG Wodehouse pastiche.
Darkness of Glass - moody setting.
Gallery of Ghouls is kinda fun too - waxworks, IIRC.

They're all stand-alone stories too.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 13, 2016

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Also The Justice of Jalxar because Jago and Litefoot are in it and The Foe from the Future because it owns.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

By itself, it's just an interesting tale shoved into a less interesting overarching story....

This is how I felt about Destroyer of Delights, but at least that one has a great take on the Black and While Guardians. Also it's fantastic, especially the Farsi-talking robot :3:.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My Big Finish has gotten way lazier lately because my commute changed and putting them on my phone takes so much time. If Nick Briggs could just find a way to beam the stories into my brain, I'd be grateful.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Big Finish's offer this weekend is on the Novel Adaptations.

quote:

The first four stories in the range (Love and War, The Highest Science, The Romance of Crime, The English Way of Death) are each £6 on Download and £7.50 on CD, with gorgeous limited edition set Doctor Who - The Novel Adaptations Volume 1 (containing The Romance of Crime, The English Way of Death and an exclusive extras disc) currently priced at £20 on Download and £25 on CD (as ever, unlocking a download version for instant access).

These savings also extend to Bundles of the Novel Adaptations, with Doctor Who - The Novel Adaptations 1-6 available at £35 on Download, and £45 on CD (unlocking digital copies), and Doctor Who - The Novel Adaptations 1-11 available for £95 on Download and £105 on CD. The latter bundles include the December titles as pre-orders which will be available on release

If you want the lot it actually turns out a tenner cheaper to do the 1-6 and 7-11 bundles separately rather than just grabbing the 1-11 bundle.

I'm a bit torn on getting them or not. I have Love & War and didn't really love it but between that and The Unbound Universe I do quite like Lisa Bowerman's Benny so I'm kind of interested just to get some more of her with the Doctor, and a couple more Tom Baker stories never go amiss.

The BBC are also running an offer with BF so if you go to this link and enter the code golddust you can get the post-50 Main Range stories featuring Cybermen as downloads for 5.99 each. So if you need some Lidster or Jamie with your Cybermen there you go.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

The BBC are also running an offer with BF so if you go to this link and enter the code golddust you can get the post-50 Main Range stories featuring Cybermen as downloads for 5.99 each. So if you need some Lidster or Jamie with your Cybermen there you go.

Oh cool, I'll just click on that link an-
"You have already purchased these items."

:sweatdrop:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Box of Bunnies posted:

Big Finish's offer this weekend is on the Novel Adaptations.

If you want the lot it actually turns out a tenner cheaper to do the 1-6 and 7-11 bundles separately rather than just grabbing the 1-11 bundle.

I'm a bit torn on getting them or not. I have Love & War and didn't really love it but between that and The Unbound Universe I do quite like Lisa Bowerman's Benny so I'm kind of interested just to get some more of her with the Doctor, and a couple more Tom Baker stories never go amiss.

Highest Science is good, as are the Toms, though I's rate Romance of Crime over English Way of Death

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

My Big Finish has gotten way lazier lately because my commute changed and putting them on my phone takes so much time. If Nick Briggs could just find a way to beam the stories into my brain, I'd be grateful.

Do you not have the app? It's not quite direct to your brain...but it's way handier than managing files manually. I went from owning a dozen or so things to owning over 300 since the app released.

Edit: man, I wish the pricing on the novel adaptations was a little friendlier. I picked up the first 2-pack bundle back on the recent Tom Baker sale, so I don't really need the 1-6 bundle...but stories 5 and 6 aren't discounted, so all I picked up was 1 and 2

jivjov fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Box of Bunnies posted:

Probably worth noting that Legend of the Cybermen is the end of a three story arc with Jamie. It's probably my favourite of the three but just be warned that if you grab it you're going in at the end of the three.

• Locked thread