Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Entropy238 posted:

Wow Irenicus was way more beefcake than I remember, don't know where he found the time to lift with everything he was up to.

The funniest thing about Jon Irenicus to me is just how crazy his secret lair is laid out like. Can you imagine trying to live and work in that place? Its great they included his bedroom, but its full of traps. So every day he gets up and goes to do some torturin, he carefully avoids his traps then has to sneak past his horrendous sewer monster to get to his lab. Actually, thinking about it, he has a bedroom but does he have a kitchen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Dude's a super-wizard. He probably has traps that recognize him and don't trigger and also teleports around his lair.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
As always, the answer is magic/a wizard did it.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

mitochondritom posted:

The funniest thing about Jon Irenicus to me is just how crazy his secret lair is laid out like. Can you imagine trying to live and work in that place? Its great they included his bedroom, but its full of traps. So every day he gets up and goes to do some torturin, he carefully avoids his traps then has to sneak past his horrendous sewer monster to get to his lab. Actually, thinking about it, he has a bedroom but does he have a kitchen?

Not to mention the smell from the sewer probably wafted all over his living room.

With the exception of Irenicus I always liked the fact that in BG games people actually have toilets in their house - most people in rpgs seem to have evolved beyond making GBS threads.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The guy chain casts power word: kill like it's a minor cantrip. I'm pretty sure he has a simple solution for poop and the smell thereof.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Suspicious posted:

The guy chain casts power word: kill like it's a minor cantrip. I'm pretty sure he has a simple solution for poop and the smell thereof.

Idk I'd say the dude is maybe 220 lbs lean, with the amount of protein he would have to eat to maintain his gains I'm sure he probably does some pretty nasty shits. Poor Bodhi - I hope vampires in AD&D have anosmia.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Suspicious posted:

If a space wizard can do it, so can he.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i always assumed the Otyughs job was to eat all the poop and piss. i dont think middle ages had toilets are more just glorified buckets.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Maybe this was why he kept a Djinn around from the elemental plane of air?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Dude's a super-wizard. He probably has traps that recognize him and don't trigger and also teleports around his lair.

If you can teleport everywhere, why even have regular doors? Good luck escaping from my hermetically sealed underground box, Bhaalspawn!

e:

Suspicious posted:

Irenius could have a tiny permanent one-way portal to the elemental plane of poop in his colon.

If he could send it anywhere he'd probably poop directly into Suldanessellar or something.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Irenius could have a tiny permanent one-way portal to the elemental plane of poop in his colon.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I always thought there were toilets, again weird as they are in those yellow connecting corridors between all the rooms. I am too deep down the rabbit hole now, I have realised there must be separate toilets for dwarves, halflings etc.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

sebzilla posted:

If you can teleport everywhere, why even have regular doors? Good luck escaping from my hermetically sealed underground box, Bhaalspawn!

Needs a failsafe in case he forgets his spellbook somewhere. It's usually in his bag, right next to his glasses (but he mostly uses contacts because they're more fashionable in the BDSM community.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Suspicious posted:

I'm pretty sure infravision also falls into the "completely useless" category. It's awesome in pen and paper, though.

Oh yeah, and shocking grasp.

I used the phrase "trap choice" for a reason - it's something that's great on regular mages but incredibly terrible on Sorcs.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The highest res image I can find of Irenicus's dungeon is here

It looks like there's toilets on each side of the sewer in the centre - including one in the library and one right next to his living room.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 9, 2016

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

sebzilla posted:

Time to make the long journey home...

//casts Imprisonment on self

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GorfZaplen posted:

Lol, I never really thought about it before and now this is all I can think about :

Amazing. And I guess I just outed myself as a dirty dialogue speed-clicker, but the main plot for BG to has never interested me in the slightest. Pretty much every little side quest is somehow more compelling than being roped in the rescuing some chick whom I guess I stole a bunch of potions and a wand from like nine months prior.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Entropy238 posted:

It looks like there's toilets on each side of the sewer in the centre - including one in the library and one right next to his living room.

Pretty good look at how much BioWare improved art-wise after the release of the original Baldur's Gate.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

ElGroucho posted:

The true bad guy is me in Icewind Dale, going around, telling everyone how much I hate their goddamn cold mountains, and asking "Huh... what does human flesh taste like?"

Favorite jerk response in IWD for me has to be the part early on when a child you find hiding in a closet tells you about how monsters killed and ate his family and charname responds by laughing about it, prompting the kid to scream and run off.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

He's saying that's the only super bad pick for a sorcerer, every other spell you can find a reason to cast more than once.

Yeah I know that's why I was saying just use a scroll. Aside from really low levels you'll never really have your familiar out anyways in combat and the only reason to cast it is for the extra hps. So use the scroll and stash it and you're set foreva.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Right, but I was replying to "every other spell you can find a reason to cast more than once".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I know that's why I was saying just use a scroll. Aside from really low levels you'll never really have your familiar out anyways in combat and the only reason to cast it is for the extra hps. So use the scroll and stash it and you're set foreva.

Yes, we know

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You are all unbelievable nerds.

Entropy238 posted:

Wow Irenicus was way more beefcake than I remember, don't know where he found the time to lift with everything he was up to.

And he's only got like 13/14 STR and CON. There was some disconnect with the artists and the programmers on Irenicus' appearance.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Aren't elves meant to be skinny twinkish types anyway?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

13/14 is still above average.

Irenicus is channelling a pretty heavy-duty BDSM look there. Appropriate, really.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Entropy238 posted:

WE CAN GO DEEPER

(uncompressed)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yes, we know

I know that you know I just didn't know if everyone else knew what you know and I know

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Pretty good look at how much BioWare improved art-wise after the release of the original Baldur's Gate.
That may be true, but BG1 had some good stuff as well.

This is Ragefast's home, which you visit once for a side quest that lasts a minute. Somebody made that telescope and floor mosaic just for this.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Both BG games had some great area art. BG1 kinda falls down in the sprite art

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah. Many of the monsters are good (Wyverns, Carrion Crawlers, and I love the goofy Basilisks) but the humanoid sprites aren't great.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I thought Icewind Dale was where the art for IE games really took off (at least from the little I've seen of it).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Icewind Dale was made by a different studio with different artists, so that doesn't count.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Entropy238 posted:

My Muscle Wizard in PoE was called Jon Irenicus.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

kujeger posted:

WE CAN GO DEEPER

(uncompressed)

Love it that old Jonoleth designed it so he could have a dump in his library. There are even open sewers in the corridor leading to the Otughya thing. Can't imagine Bioware of today going into that much detail.

Max Wilco posted:

I thought Icewind Dale was where the art for IE games really took off (at least from the little I've seen of it).

I agree, IWD1 in particular has some amazing areas. I particularly like the frozen aquarium museum, despite it being full of rear end in a top hat salamander men.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

That may be true, but BG1 had some good stuff as well.

This is Ragefast's home, which you visit once for a side quest that lasts a minute. Somebody made that telescope and floor mosaic just for this.

Sure, but on the other hand, what you're going to see for most of your playthrough in BG are same-ish outdoor areas with really crazy perspectives and copy-pasted trees, caves (sometimes literally the same cave over and over), mines and some really flatly lit temples. That area you posted is the exception, not the rule.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Just beat SoD. Pretty good, but kinda short and fairly linear. Nice art. Get it if you ever plan to replay BG1.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Suspicious posted:

Just beat SoD. Pretty good, but kinda short and fairly linear. Nice art. Get it if you ever plan to replay BG1.

Is it compatible with SCS, Spell revisions, tweak pack etc .. yet? I don't want to play it if it's going to break mods.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Christ, those salamander men. I oddly enough don't think I've ever finished that game and I remember that's specifically where I stopped.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Entropy238 posted:

Is it compatible with SCS, Spell revisions, tweak pack etc .. yet? I don't want to play it if it's going to break mods.

I haven't played it in months but when I did it was compatible with SCS iirc. Other mods, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Anything that alters dialog.tlk is going to have bugs unless they've been adapted to it.