Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I like Vader, but the Vader depicted in the "Vader Sessions" rather than the one from the films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
This guy's my fav.

Serf
May 5, 2011

My favorite ship is the B-Wing. It's just so goofy and I love it.

I'm also partial to the "uglies" which are ships made out of the parts of other ships. Like TIE wings glued to the cockpit of an X-Wing. I've seen people make them out of spare parts for minis stuff at the local game shop and I always thought they were pretty cool.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Doesn't the entire cockpit eject from the X-wing?

Anyway, gently caress, thanks guys, time to play through TIE fighter.

AGAIN.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
TIE fighters greatly remind me of either late war Luftwaffe aircraft or like 1960s Soviet aircraft where they are really low tech high speed interceptors meant to rely on GCIs and being point defense

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
N

Filthy Casual posted:

I thought 3PO provided all the sounds and the Original Six were just him having to retell it to the Ewoks every year.

Nah, that's just the OT. He had his mind wiped at the end of the prequels.

Unless C3P0 is just a silly grandad exagerating for the kids. "And then the tiefighter shot R2D2, killing him!" "No it didn't! He's in the other room right now!" "Oh yeah, oh yeah. I forgot because my mind was wiped." "If your mind was wiped, how are you telling this story?!"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bongo Bill posted:

Podracing owns.

I like the sound Sebulba's podracer makes.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

Nah, that's just the OT. He had his mind wiped at the end of the prequels.

That's why we didn't know what happened in the prequels until later, when Artoo finally decided to stop being a withholding dick and fill in the gaps for everyone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zoran posted:

Luke is the best.

Even in 1983 I didn't think Luke was cool. I knew no children who thought Luke was "cool". He was a twerp. A nerf herder!

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

That's why we didn't know what happened in the prequels until later, when Artoo finally decided to stop being a withholding dick and fill in the gaps for everyone.

After Episode IX 3PO finally relented and let R2 plug it in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

Even in 1983 I didn't think Luke was cool. I knew no children who thought Luke was "cool". He was a twerp. A nerf herder!

You have a whore mouth and you need to shut it. Luke is awesome.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

R2-D2 is the narrator for all the first six Star Wars movies. The Force Awakens, however, was narrated by BB-8. This is why the camera is more dynamic and skewed.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cnut the Great posted:

I've always figured that R2 held a lot of stuff back from Luke on the principle that, hey, let's wait for the Son Of Space Hitler to grow into his own person before we add a billion neuroses to the mix about his dad's good-intentioned fall into Space Hitlerism.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I've always figured that R2 held a lot of stuff back from Luke on the principle that, hey, let's wait for the Son Of Space Hitler to grow into his own person before we add a billion neuroses to the mix about his dad's good-intentioned fall into Space Hitlerism.

The conspiracy to hide Anakin's children consisted of Yoda, Obi-Wan, Bail Organa, and R2-D2. There were a few others, like the Lars family and Palpatine, who were aware of some of the details but not enough to piece it all together. As a founding member of the Rebellion and its most trusted spy, R2-D2 certainly knew the value of keeping secrets. Having fought directly alongside Anakin in the war, and served Padme before that, he had more sympathy for Vader and likely agreed with the whole "There is still good in him" bit.

The conspirators always planned to bring down the Empire, but to Obi-Wan and Yoda that meant destroying the Dark Lord of the Sith, whereas to Bail and Artoo that meant restoring the Republic; Artoo had no part in the decision to use Luke as the weapon of vengeance against Vader, so he was also more susceptible to caring about Luke's feelings. No "Not ready for the burden were you" crap out of the droid, he just didn't want Luke to suffer the pain of that knowledge and get himself involved. You'll note he tried to leave Luke behind and out of things the very day he learned his identity.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The revelation that R2-D2 knows everything recontextualizes a lot of scenes. I think my favorite is the arrival on Dagobah, because it turns out Artoo knows who Yoda is and is loving with him just as much as Yoda's loving with Luke.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So what you're all saying is that R2-D2 is the most deep and compelling character in Starwars and it's probably all for the best he doesn't speak English so he doesn't have any awful dialogue.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Basic. The language is called basic.

And this carries no political implications don't even think about it mister

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
And I 'unno who my favourite is . . of the minor characters it's definitely Chewie, but the main? Probably Solo when I was younger in the "I wish" sense, though if I was feeling honest I identified with Luke more.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So what you're all saying is that R2-D2 is the most deep and compelling character in Starwars and it's probably all for the best he doesn't speak English so he doesn't have any awful dialogue.

Of course not. Any one movie is enough to tell you all you need to know about him: he's loyal, daring, and extremely sassy. Even the observation that he's far more of a mover of events than he lets on is entirely in keeping with his direct, on-screen role in A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. The characters who are developed further with each film they appear in were Obi-Wan and Anakin, whose respective emotional turmoil drives the events of both trilogies.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I like it when Darth Vader is chasing Luke in the Death Star trench and he keeps turning the knob on his tie fighter controls.

Dude! I'm glad somebody else noticed this. It has always bugged me. Looks like he is trying to open a flask or something.

For some reason I remembered him doing it like 5 times but when I watched the SE on blu ray recently I barely noticed it. I wonder if it was re-edited.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nuebot posted:

When they re-released A New Hope in the late 90s some friends and I saw it front row opening night at midnight on a large amount of mushrooms.

I was able to understand R2 perfectly fine!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Through Childhood Nostalgia, my favorite character is Boba Fett. It has everything to do with the costume, and design. So fuckin dope.

But in terms of legit character, currently it's Kylo Ren. Could change depending on what they do with him, but I love the possibilities. Once it clicked who he was, as a character, (not so much who his parents are) I was like "Oh poo poo! That's awesome."

None of my friends liked him, they all said he was a little bitch. Which he is, and that's why he's great.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Zoran posted:

The revelation that R2-D2 knows everything recontextualizes a lot of scenes. I think my favorite is the arrival on Dagobah, because it turns out Artoo knows who Yoda is and is loving with him just as much as Yoda's loving with Luke.

I always thought it was more like Artoo legitimately thinks Yoda has gone batty from his extremely advanced age and after all those years living in solitude on a lovely swamp planet. Kind of a like a viewer watching the movies episodically might think.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel like R2D2's prefered viewing order (in his mind) would be fascinating.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

UmOk posted:

Dude! I'm glad somebody else noticed this. It has always bugged me. Looks like he is trying to open a flask or something.

For some reason I remembered him doing it like 5 times but when I watched the SE on blu ray recently I barely noticed it. I wonder if it was re-edited.

My college roommate pointed it out to me years ago and it's one of those things that you can't help but notice once you know about it. You can see him do it right after the TIEs enter the scene here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBG2rJZGW8&t=403s
He does it again after he starts targeting Luke @11:45, and again right before Han enters the scene @12:55. He can't get that knob to the proper rebel-killing level!

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

It always reminded me of putting chalk on a pool stick right before taking a shot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Since Star Wars is just WW2 Dogfights in space, he's probably just adjusting his gunsight/targeting computer. Which is why he loses compared to Luke, he doesn't use the force and relies on a machine.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Since Star Wars is just WW2 Dogfights in space, he's probably just adjusting his gunsight/targeting computer. Which is why he loses compared to Luke, he doesn't use the force and relies on a machine.

Oh totally, I don't mean to imply that it's like the actor randomly fiddling with something on a prop. It's intentional and ties in really well with Luke turning off his targeting computer.

There's just something about the image of Darth Vader furiously twisting a knob that I find funny.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
No you're wrong. It's because A New Hope is a sports movie about both billiards and bowling. See, Luke is a white cue ball knocking the empires balls(deathstar) into holes(exhaust vents). Vader is a big black bowling ball knocking down the rebels tie fighters(pins).

The empire is the billiards player using a cue(deathstar) to eliminate balls(alderan). Hence Vader doing the cue chalking motion.

It's all presented in the movie plain as day. You guys need to learn how to watch films.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

UmOk posted:

See, Luke is a white cue ball knocking the empires balls(deathstar) into holes(exhaust vents).

how can the ball be bigger than the hole, idiot

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Little white cue ball

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ferrinus posted:

Little white cue ball

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ferrinus posted:

Little white cue ball

LMAO.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Um ok.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Actually the ship is alive and Vader was giving it a titty twister.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yep, Vader's control adjustment routine is explicitly noted in the script each time it happens:

quote:

INT. DARTH VADER'S COCKPIT

Darth Vader calmly adjusts his control stick as the stars
whip past in the window above his head.

VADER
Stay in attack formation!

quote:

Darth Vader calmly adjusts his control stick as the stars
zoom by.

VADER
I'll take them myself! Cover me!

quote:

Vader calmly adjusts his targeting computer and pushes the
fire button.

quote:

Vader adjusts his control lever and dives on the X-wing
fighters.

VADER
Close up formation.

quote:

Vader adjusts his controls and fires laserbolts at two X-
wings flying down the trench. He scores a direct hit on Wedge.

quote:

Vader adjusts his control stick.

quote:

Vader adjusts his control sticks, checking his projected
targeting screen.

(It's also explicitly noted each time one of the Rebel pilots makes an adjustment to his controls.)

And the same basic motif is re-used in the opening scene of Episode III to suggest the same thing about Anakin in that movie, that he's over-reliant on technology:

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/ring-composition-chiasmus-hidden-artistry-star-wars-prequels/5/#return-note-1440-2

quote:

The first line in the film, spoken by Anakin, is “Lock on to ‘em R2.” This subtly reflects the climactic moment in A New Hope when Luke, finally willing to “let go,” turns off his targeting computer and trusts in the Force before taking the final shot. As The Making of “Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith” notes, the line is intended to illustrate “how Anakin relies heavily on droids and computers to target the enemy (the opposite of his son, who will use the Force).” 2 (Admittedly, this was more overt in the film’s screenplay where Anakin says “Lock on to ‘em R2,” multiple times and at one point even flies his starfighter into a trench, recalling the famous Death Star “trench run” from A New Hope.)

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 10, 2016

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Freakazoid_ posted:

I like the sound Sebulba's podracer makes.

I've always loved the sound Jango Fett's bombs make when Obi-Wan chases him through the asteroid belt.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mameluke posted:

I've always loved the sound Jango Fett's bombs make when Obi-Wan chases him through the asteroid belt.
Agreed.

(But yeah, that sound effect is awesome.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love that the thread has been all about ships and sound effects for like 3 days but the guy who bitched and complained contributed maybe one post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If a Jedi falls from a high place, can he use the force to not die? I'm holding out hope that Ep. 8 opens with Luke revealing he's been chilling with Mace for 20 years on that island, talking with jedi ghosts and inventing new lightsaber colors.

• Locked thread