Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Forget the horn for dealing with sirens and harpies and instead get the alternate aard ability to knock everything out of the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Forget the horn for dealing with sirens and harpies and instead get the alternate Yrden ability to knock everything out of the sky.

Fixed. It's so much more insanely useful for this as well as everything else the point's better spent on it.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah alt Yrden was my victory crutch for any tough fight. That thing does everything, knocks poo poo out of the sky, stops arrows and interrupts most attacks. As long as you can get it placed you can beat most anything it seems.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Getting all of Skellige's points of interest is really rapidly turning into my least favorite part of the game. For the sirens I just resigned to wasting a few hours on it, and eventually got used to it, but the level 48 archgriffon guarding that chest in the northern island is incredibly tedious. Everything it does one-shots me, and even with my BS decoction/fast rend build I can only do 3-5% of its HP with each flurry, so it just turns into a long, tedious process of hit once > watch griffon fly around for 30 seconds > hit once > repeat or screw up and start over.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Omi no Kami posted:

Getting all of Skellige's points of interest is really rapidly turning into my least favorite part of the game. For the sirens I just resigned to wasting a few hours on it, and eventually got used to it, but the level 48 archgriffon guarding that chest in the northern island is incredibly tedious. Everything it does one-shots me, and even with my BS decoction/fast rend build I can only do 3-5% of its HP with each flurry, so it just turns into a long, tedious process of hit once > watch griffon fly around for 30 seconds > hit once > repeat or screw up and start over.

The Witcher Wild Hunt: Don't bother with the ?s in Skellige

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are there any oceanbound ones I should get? Just tell me.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Is the quest to find Crach's son broken/bugged? I seem to have like 6 different objectives half of which I could've sworn I already finished and all trails seem to end somewhere with no clear indication of where to go.

E: I'm inclined to just skip the entire quest because holy poo poo is it becoming unmanageable, but I get the feeling there's a fairly sizeable quest line for the Skellige king succession thing and I need to finish both Ceryl's and this quest to progress?

Joda fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 9, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Are there any oceanbound ones I should get? Just tell me.

All those ?s get you in Skellige is essentially extra money. There's nothing interesting about them. Seriously, unless you're a sperg don't collect them. Don't collect any of them unless you need some extra cash.

And if you ARE the type of person who spins around twice when leaving a room or touches a handle six times before you can shut a door, then that's your own goddamn fault for collecting all that pointless poo poo, not the game's.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think they missed a beat not making the loading screens when you fast travel a generic looping animation of Geralt riding a horse through generic woods/swamp/skellige forest or sailing a boat or whichever is relevant between the two locations. Would've been nice.

Also when you whistle for roach he should ride up and you jump onto him straight away. Also you should be able to fast travel from his back if you're at a signpost. Also

Drifter posted:

And if you ARE the type of person who spins around twice when leaving a room or touches a handle six times before you can shut a door, then that's your own goddamn fault for collecting all that pointless poo poo, not the game's.

I have pills for that now, life is much easier.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 9, 2016

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Drifter posted:

All those ?s get you in Skellige is essentially extra money. There's nothing interesting about them. Seriously, unless you're a sperg don't collect them. Don't collect any of them unless you need some extra cash.

Isn't there an achievement for collecting every POI in the game? Either way I think it's pointless, because I screwed something else up- there's a settlement POI in southern skellige (ruined inn, I think it's called?), and apparently it has a yet-unpatched bug where if you clear the monster nest next to it before you clear it, the game never realizes you've finished it and keeps it locked forever.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Omi no Kami posted:

Isn't there an achievement for collecting every POI in the game?

If there is, it's to identify the people we should laugh at.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There should've been an achievement for taking that sweet slide after the trial of dexterity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MikeJF posted:

There should've been an achievement for taking that sweet slide after the trial of dexterity.

There is, isn't there? In that isn't the top of the mountain one of the few places you can get the Rad Steez, Bro! achievement? Or am I thinking of a different mountain?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Drifter posted:

today the witcher 3 thread taught me that mental illness is the fault of the sufferer

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Jerusalem posted:

There is, isn't there? In that isn't the top of the mountain one of the few places you can get the Rad Steez, Bro! achievement? Or am I thinking of a different mountain?

Yeah that's where I got it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

Isn't there an achievement for collecting every POI in the game? Either way I think it's pointless, because I screwed something else up- there's a settlement POI in southern skellige (ruined inn, I think it's called?), and apparently it has a yet-unpatched bug where if you clear the monster nest next to it before you clear it, the game never realizes you've finished it and keeps it locked forever.

I think the only POI cheevo is for destroying all monster nests in Skellige or Novigrad/Velen.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Only do the '?'s that you feel like doing or are on the way to something you're heading to anyway. Don't worry about any that are solely in bodies of water.

Hope this helps.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Though following certain skellige poi's will help you find a flying Dutchman ghost ship and a bear funeral pyre.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
I have been systematically going through all the POIs in Velen and Novigrad, and I've had a ton of fun with all the sidequests I've discovered in the countryside. Is Skellige not the same? :O

Edit: I'm so good at the dodge button that I killed a monster 17 levels above me over 7 minutes of constant hacking and crossbow sniping, when a single hit would've killed me. Obviously I used a shitload of Quen spam as well. So I've been having fun running into OP monsters.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
The final fists of fury fight is not very fun when all your survivability for tough, long fights comes from Undying. Apparently the quest fails before vitality reaches 0, so there's no chance for it to actually convert adrenaline points to vitality.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Zoolooman posted:

I have been systematically going through all the POIs in Velen and Novigrad, and I've had a ton of fun with all the sidequests I've discovered in the countryside. Is Skellige not the same? :O

Skellige has a shitload more ?s than Velen and Novigrad, and most of those are nothing more than smuggler's caches with randomized crappy loot. To make matters worse they're out in the middle of the ocean which makes getting to them a huge chore. Trying to collect get them all is an easy way to get burned out.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ojetor posted:

To make matters worse they're out in the middle of the ocean which makes getting to them a huge chore.

To make things downright dire, most of them are guarded by the Witcher 3's answer to cliff racers. :)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Ojetor posted:

Skellige has a shitload more ?s than Velen and Novigrad, and most of those are nothing more than smuggler's caches with randomized crappy loot. To make matters worse they're out in the middle of the ocean which makes getting to them a huge chore. Trying to collect get them all is an easy way to get burned out.

Depends on the player really. I felt burned out by the ?:s in Velen part and skipped most of the Skelliges/Novigrads/DLC maps ?:s.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

today the witcher 3 thread taught me that mental illness is the fault of the sufferer
If you find it fun, then play the game how you want to play it. I might think it's weird, but you paid for it, so you do what you do.

Saying that those ?s take forever to collect and asking if you will lose out on any interesting Witcher lore if you skip them is cool.

Slinging poo poo about how those ?s are lovely and horrible and boring and you can't believe that you had to spend an extra 20 hours collecting them all is the devs fault? No.

The latter is what some people were doing a long ways back.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He meant the part where you said

Drifter posted:

if you ARE the type of person who spins around twice when leaving a room or touches a handle six times before you can shut a door, then that's your own goddamn fault

Wasn't kidding about having pills for that, actually; I did have do stuff like that, was pretty loving horrible. 'Your fault' is pretty bad phrasing.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Drifter posted:

If you find it fun, then play the game how you want to play it. I might think it's weird, but you paid for it, so you do what you do.

Saying that those ?s take forever to collect and asking if you will lose out on any interesting Witcher lore if you skip them is cool.

Slinging poo poo about how those ?s are lovely and horrible and boring and you can't believe that you had to spend an extra 20 hours collecting them all is the devs fault? No.

The latter is what some people were doing a long ways back.

They're fun to do in spurts because I get to walk through parts of the map I haven't seen yet and go oooh aaaah this is pretty. :3

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Summary:
* Do ?s only as and when you feel like it
* Ignore all ?s in the water

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There is a ? you have to do if you want all gwent cards.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Lone Badger posted:

Summary:
* Do ?s only as and when you feel like it
* Ignore all ?s in the water
This guy has it right.

MikeJF posted:

He meant the part where you said

Wasn't kidding about having pills for that, actually; I did have do stuff like that, was pretty loving horrible. 'Your fault' is pretty bad phrasing.
I see you.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Digirat posted:

There is a ? you have to do if you want all gwent cards.

You can't just say things like this and not say which one it is.

That's just not right.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

You can't just say things like this and not say which one it is.

That's just not right.

I guess you'll have to visit them all now :smug:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's a merchant in Velen you have to rescue from a bandit camp before he'll sell some Gwent cards.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, is Axii useful in any conversations after you finish the three areas and head out to kaer morhen with Yen? I don't wanna miss out on anything fun, but I also don't want to respec and sink 3 points into it if it won't come up again.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, is Axii useful in any conversations after you finish the three areas and head out to kaer morhen with Yen? I don't wanna miss out on anything fun, but I also don't want to respec and sink 3 points into it if it won't come up again.

I was doing a signs build so I had that skill the entire game. I didn't find any use for it in the main quest after the point you describe.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I remember it coming up 1 place in the main quest after that, and based on the dialogue I don't think it was even useful/made anything happen that you couldn't get without it. Probably came up in some sidequests I'm not remembering too

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
There's one time it's used in HoS during the wedding as well. But again, not a huge deal.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean that skill is never used for anything story relevant. All it ever does is save you from having to either fight or bribe someone.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm okay, thanks! Also, bleh, I'm moderately irked because I think I ran into a bug in the same section I just described: I just got the Brothers In Arms quests and the Velen one failed immediately, even though I finished both Keira and Letho's sections with them alive and happy, and they both agreed to go to kaer morhen. :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh no Tyrion :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Sp Geralt and Ciri palling around together is delightful; it's like some kind of rear end in a top hat Resonance makes two of them geometrically more entertaining than either was on their own. The thing with her circus buddies was a little weird, though- I get the point was to have some lighthearted fun with your daughter, but it weirded me out how okay Geralt was with breaking into a barn, axii-ing some horses, and murdering a coupla guards just to entertain Ciri.