Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

See you after you're done talking about rape, thread.

Also Max's power looks stupid.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Who could Allison be trying to use Max's powers on that wouldn't notice the screaming man being flown in through the window? I saw someone in the comment section suggest it was her father and maybe that's not too far off.

What if her plan is to use Max to strengthen hospital patients in order to help them recover? What if a side effect of his ability is boosting the immune system or something like that?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's Feral

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Flesh Forge posted:

That's Feral

If it's Feral, watch this go horribly wrong and kick her regeneration into overdrive turning her into a huge, horrible, pulsing, mass of organs.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Mikl posted:

If it's Feral, watch this go horribly wrong and kick her regeneration into overdrive turning her into a huge, horrible, pulsing, mass of organs.

I feel like at this point, Feral deserves a new code-name. 'Eden', maybe.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mikl posted:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Akira style

I'd really like it if the creators of this comic did a commentary write up of what their intent was for some of these pages. Or at least the major arcs.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Galvanik posted:

Akira style

I'd really like it if the creators of this comic did a commentary write up of what their intent was for some of these pages. Or at least the major arcs.

i wish that they did it before they read the comments and rewrote the lines

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Don't forget the biodynamics that are also being changed without their consent. Alison is forcing Max to do this to them, but I doubt she asked if they wanted it either.

Of course, what exactly Max does and how it works is still not explained properly, which is really annoying.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
This arc would be a whole lot better if we knew what Alison was trying to do.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I feel like the author intends the conflict to be Allison's inner struggle, her coming to believe she needs to be a tyrant in order to force people to act how she thinks they should. The details of her plan aren't necessary (the story of the comic's life), just that the only way to get this guy to do something is with force. It's supposed to be a character moment for Allison.

Aside from having the macguffin power, Max's purpose in the story is to be a person who would under no circumstances help anyone else, though it costs him nothing. His financial circumstances, morals, and personality are all geared towards achieving that. If he were poor she could bribe him, if he weren't an sociopath an emotional appeal might work, if he didn't spitefully hate her personally she might be able to convince him by showing people suffering. That's why he's so shallow and such an rear end in a top hat, if he had some nuance, Allison would have other options for getting what she wants. Allison's dilemma for the arc is that even though using helping costs him nothing, he absolutely won't help of his own free will. Allison, and the audience, must then decide whether it's justifiable to force him to do what is right.

The problem is that so far the audience doesn't know what this guy does exactly, so we can't speculate on what he could do or who he could help. And we don't know know what Allison wants to do, so there's no weight to her insistence, because from our perspective no stake exists. The result is we've seen is just a couple jerk characters arguing about something we have no investment in seeing resolved. Not exactly compelling reading.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
When I think about it, they could have avoided all of this by rolling with it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Galvanik posted:

Aside from having the macguffin power, Max's purpose in the story is to be a person who would under no circumstances help anyone else, though it costs him nothing. His financial circumstances, morals, and personality are all geared towards achieving that. If he were poor she could bribe him, if he weren't an sociopath an emotional appeal might work, if he didn't spitefully hate her personally she might be able to convince him by showing people suffering. That's why he's so shallow and such an rear end in a top hat, if he had some nuance, Allison would have other options for getting what she wants. Allison's dilemma for the arc is that even though using helping costs him nothing, he absolutely won't help of his own free will. Allison, and the audience, must then decide whether it's justifiable to force him to do what is right.

Yes, the author went out of his way to craft an improbable situation where the protagonist could do lovely things to a rich libertarian and make it The Right Thing To Do, The Only Choice.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
What Alison is doing right now has not been represented as the right choice.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I dunno, I'm pretty sure she thinks it is the right choice :shrug:

e: when they get back to Patrick I expect this was the outcome he wanted as well :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 8, 2016

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty sure she thinks it is the right choice :shrug:

e: when they get back to Patrick I expect this was the outcome he wanted as well :shrug:

Just because the main character in a story does something they think is the right/only choice doesn't mean the writer thinks that though. Characters making bad decisions for the 'right' reasons and having to deal with the consequences is a great source of conflict.

Of course, that's not to say that lovely writers don't just write themselves as their characters, but I honestly don't think that's happening here. Especially if Patrick is happy about it - he's the villain, after all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I didn't say what the writer believed, I said the writer crafted a situation where the character's Right Thing To Do is so circumscribed as to justify beating up rich libertarians.

On the other hand while I agree with you that Patrick is an immensely evil piece of poo poo, I'm pretty sure Mulligan doesn't look at him that way.

e: I mean, if the author was interested in actually challenging the target reader's moral commitment, maybe he could have come up with a less blatant scapegoat than "rich libertarian shitbird" :shrug: Like, if you could save a million lives by torturing a newborn baby, would you do it?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 8, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
i think that it's quite obvious that the artist liked what she had drawn, and that we were supposed to agree with the main character and not think of it as a creepy rapish situation

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Based on the comments that were approved for publishing instead of moderated out of existence, yes, we are supposed to think Allison is 101% in the right here.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Wasn't the artist's complaint about people comparing the earlier page to rape that "kidnapping and threatening someone are bad enough, you don't need to call it something it's not"? I mean, I totally agree it came across as really rapey, and that that's not a good defence, but at least she thinks what Allison is doing is wrong (if not perhaps to the level people here are).

That said, I'm only talking about the artist here. Who knows what the writer is thinking, since he doesn't seem to talk on the Internet much.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yep, that's exactly what she said:

The writer feels that it's wrong to tell people what the comic is supposed to mean. This has come up before when I tried to pester him to get confirmation on one of these things earlier in the thread. But it is incredibly obvious in this particular case that he doesn't agree either. The last two pages do not paint a picture of a triumphant hero Doing Good. We've got a cold-eyed woman very literally torturing a crying man into doing what she wants. And this is after all the setup about the "axoim of a true tyrant". I don't know what you guys are talking about with the comments on the comic, either; there's definitely a vast majority saying it's wrong. (There's also an extensive derail on what D&D alignments mean, so thanks for making me read that to verify this.)

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 8, 2016

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

idonotlikepeas posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about with the comments on the comic, either; there's definitely a vast majority saying it's wrong.

We have definitely reached stage 2 in the lifecycle of a SA mock thread. Where goons just start blatantly misreading the comic and ignoring anything that contradicts their belief that the bad comic is in fact utterly without merit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

We have definitely reached stage 2 in the lifecycle of a SA mock thread. Where goons just start blatantly misreading the comic and ignoring anything that contradicts their belief that the bad comic is in fact utterly without merit.

Ahahaha yeah we come back to ~authorial intent~ again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This comic was the dumbest poo poo for a long time now. And it started off as merely palatable. Just lol if you still somehow think there is some great message or characterisation in it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
e: Nah

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 11, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Say did she ever do anything about that one teacher she kinda sorta(totally did) get fired?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah she got him killed while fighting Cleaver.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also she got his partner killed while casually throwing a robot into a building years earlier so his hatred of her was totally justified :laffo:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

No, he's fine. I mean, fired, but not killed in the comic. It's his boyfriend she got killed, by a giant robot, years earlier, because she thought the area was evacuated and just started hurling robots around everywhere while making bad jokes per comic superhero spec.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Guys, please stop reminding me of when this comic was much better about actually considering some of the real-life implications of teenaged superheroes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

No, he's fine. I mean, fired, but not killed in the comic. It's his boyfriend she got killed, by a giant robot, years earlier, because she thought the area was evacuated and just started hurling robots around everywhere while making bad jokes per comic superhero spec.

You're right, I misremembered this. I don't think the comic ever went back to him then :shrug:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Axiem posted:

Guys, please stop reminding me of when this comic was much better about actually considering some of the real-life implications of teenaged superheroes.

I actually miss the old art style

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 9, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah, when I was reviewing it just now I thought the same thing. It's not as polished but it's usually better rendered and more appealing.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
No thank you. I prefer the cleaner lines and the colour.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I think the old style suited the story better to the point where it would have been easier to forgive the writing in the last two chapter. Ostertag's color schemes haven't ever fit any of the more dramatic scenes, but the bigger issue is something I don't quite know how to put into words. That scene of the playground is a good example of this. It's somewhat abstract, the stark black and white add an emotional punch that I haven't seen out of the more recent pages, and the aesthetic feels more like an alternative comic than a webcomic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The shift from harsh angles and pronounced inks to softer shapes and flat colours rather neatly aligns with the comic's progress into cuckooville.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 9, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That page perfectly encapsulates the basic thesis that this comic originally had. poo poo is ruined, she has these powers, but has no idea how to use them to fix things, so she went off to college. (of course, if she went and got an engineering degree or something like that she'd be able to make better use of her strength, but whatever)

The Mary chapter really changed everything about the comic. The focus was shifted, but also basically every character from before the chapter was either put on a bus or had their character assassinated.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's a trick question, Uncle Don has to stop at some point to go do the debate :mad:

• Locked thread