Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lunethex also has several hundred (or over a thousand?) Hours of playtime on the game. I've played for just over 50 hours and I've only had a few disconnects and a single crash months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

How the hell are 2 handed weapons useful? I just got one of those big maces with a chance to kill anything instantly and I feel like I just take WAY too much damage. Like, it doesn't even seem sort of useful

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The charge strike for the hammer sweeps and knocks down everyone and you just keep doing that until they're all dead. The idea is that it might be slow but its safe way to clear crowds. Also, charging attacks doesn't do anything if you hold it longer.

I blew a bunch of ore on a repeater pistol. It's not great so far. I think I need the accuracy buff

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you gotta do a bit of a dance with them with the power swings when facing crowds

charge / step in / swing / dodge back / repeat

if you try to just stand there and swing, you'll get nicked and lose your attack, so dont get hit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

How the hell are 2 handed weapons useful? I just got one of those big maces with a chance to kill anything instantly and I feel like I just take WAY too much damage. Like, it doesn't even seem sort of useful

You're putting a bigger priority on doing damage than avoiding damage, which does not fly. The two handed sword/hammer are vastly better than the one handed sword/hammer/mace, but they force you to use all the moves at your disposal.

They also suffer a lot more from lag so the quality of your connection gets pretty noticeable with them. I find vermintide unplayable with even medium lag though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except for the one handed mace which Is kruber's best weapon by a lot. It is amazing for crowd control, strikes super fast and has a crazy overhead power attack

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Except for the one handed mace which Is kruber's best weapon by a lot. It is amazing for crowd control, strikes super fast and has a crazy overhead power attack

Bardin's hammer is basically just a reskin of it, too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I will revisit them to see if I'm wrong, but I was never able to ruin poo poo with them the way I can with the two handed hammer and sword.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

I will revisit them to see if I'm wrong, but I was never able to ruin poo poo with them the way I can with the two handed hammer and sword.

I think to get them you have to understand that they should never finish their combo. The last stroke in the combo is a trap; push to reset your combo and clear any rats that aren't already staggered by the mace swings. It's a lot like being a snowplow. You just shove the rats backwards and around you as you work your way through.

They're also the best weapon in the game to get Regrowth (Normal) on. You will recover health like you had a beer-hat full of healing draughts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Digirat posted:

They have an entirely different rhythm to their swings so you need some footwork to get the most out of them. Two swings to stun a crowd, third swing in the combo Is a damaging uppercut, and the finisher is an overhead which can one hit KO a rat on a head shot. I couldn't use the mace at first due to being so used to the methodical swings of the great hammer but I've gotten much better st using it now.

The shield and mace is kind of rear end though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The single biggest reason the 1h mace is amazing is there is nothing it can't deal with. Horde? Scatter 'em around while bonkin' 'em with your rat stick and heavy knock-back. Stormvermin? The Charge Attack is basically the Greathammer's downward swing, in power and speed (maybe even faster). Roger? Same.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Anyone have any tips on really using the shrine/forge?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Good first impressions of the beta so far. The notice board is a guaranteed source of hats and trinkets :captainpop: and notice board quests for winning a nightmare level with 2 grimoires give 35-40 orange ore. The rewards are not trash at all.

The weapon, trinket and hat rewards take much longer to get done since they're based on completing 6-8 key contracts (of which there are I think 2 per day) but I don't believe a contract goes away once you accept it, unless you decide to drop it.

The new "use baked enemy meshes" option seems to be giving me way better performance when there's a lot of skaven on the screen. They mostly look the same but I'll gladly take that for better performance.

There is a known crash for clients when a host switches inventory but otherwise I've had no hangs, crashes or performance problems.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Digirat posted:

The new "use baked enemy meshes" option seems to be giving me way better performance when there's a lot of skaven on the screen. They mostly look the same but I'll gladly take that for better performance.

:420:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Digirat posted:

Good first impressions of the beta so far. The notice board is a guaranteed source of hats and trinkets :captainpop: and notice board quests for winning a nightmare level with 2 grimoires give 35-40 orange ore. The rewards are not trash at all.

The weapon, trinket and hat rewards take much longer to get done since they're based on completing 6-8 key contracts (of which there are I think 2 per day) but I don't believe a contract goes away once you accept it, unless you decide to drop it.

There is a known crash for clients when a host switches inventory but otherwise I've had no hangs, crashes or performance problems.

Aren't the main quests that reward actual items refreshed every week? If so it's still bad but the trinkets are a step on the right path. You'll get many weapons more than the board offers by working toward the contract to begin with.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

PS4 Vermintide patched this morning and I haven't been able to connect to single game at any difficulty

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I really want to say this game has reached Nexon NA levels of quality.

I feel like it's at that point.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/235540/discussions/1/343788552538505660/

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

omg chael crash posted:

PS4 Vermintide patched this morning and I haven't been able to connect to single game at any difficulty

Yep same. It can find games but it can never connect.

Maybe the game will finally be even slightly playable in 1.03???

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Apparently if you join through custom game instead of quick game it kind of works

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

Apparently if you join through custom game instead of quick game it kind of works

But?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Digirat posted:

Lunethex has posted about getting multiple crashes an hour before while I've gotten maybe 2 crashes total in the last several months of regular playing, which seems to be about what most people experience
I've never had it crash once, fwiw

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Got a blunderbuss with master crafted, regrowth and targeteer. Do I actually want to unlock the targeteer at all?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You might as well if you are happy with the rest. Never hurts to be more accurate. As long as you can put the reticle on what is I front of you it will blow poo poo away

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's OK but it won't be sniping gutter runners like Grudge Raker w/ Targeteer does.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My question is just, does the extra accuracy make it noticeably worse at blowing away a horde in front of you when you aren't in a good choke point. That's partly what I want it for, since it seems like the blunderbuss would actually have some value in mitigating threat whenever you get caught out in the open. I'm certainly not rerolling the traits on it, but there would be no way to un-unlock targeteer once it's there.

In spending the filthy pile of 145 orange ore gained from contracts, I also got master crafted, targeteer and 100% penetration on the repeater pistol, so I want to see if this salvages the weapon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
anyone want to group up to do some PS4 Vermintide, if so add me, PSN is DrRockso_20

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Digirat posted:

In spending the filthy pile of 145 orange ore gained from contracts, I also got master crafted, targeteer and 100% penetration on the repeater pistol, so I want to see if this salvages the weapon.

Let me know because it's my only urnge gun for Victor right now. Though I am taking the contract for the cross bow.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Repeater pistol still feels like a comedy weapon. The ability to turn on the shotgun and just pulp a stormvermin's head is awesome, but hard enough to do that it's not really worth considering (and if you can manage to hit the head, you could just do it with a crossbow anyway). It is much better at killing gas rats and hook rats than the brace, but again the crossbow does that better than both, as long as you can deal with the admittedly tricky bolt travel time.

Once you get master crafted and ammunition holder on the crossbow (regrowth is a possible bonus) I think it's the best WH ranged option, without taking the volley crossbow into consideration as I don't have it yet. Its hipfire accuracy while running is some of the best in the game.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Zephro posted:

I've never had it crash once, fwiw

ive crashed a few times, but like, once a week when i played it a lot.

favorite crash was breaking a lua script when i used E to pass a potion right as i finished drinking it. think it killed it for everyone. WHOOPS.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Looks like they added some more dialogue interactions between party members.

There have been a few cosmetic touch ups to certain levels too, and I also noticed that the bot ai has been tweaked - they now heal themselves even if they are only slightly injured when there are extra health packs around. They also seem slightly better at going after specials?

What the game really needs however are skills and perks that you can customise your character with, and some more drat content.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Something feels off in the beta and I cant put my finger on it. I'm just taking so many random hits from behind that I normally see coming, where every time I turn around and hit a rat there's somehow another one hitting me from a different direction that wasn't there before, and I'm also getting hit from the front from rats I think I'm already CCing. Can't tell if something's changed or if I somehow became trash at the game after hundreds of hours.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I also have become magically bad at the game and don't know why.

The bots also seem to be worse at melee, or the difficulty harder, because I can't complete a one grim Horn run (nightmare) with the bots because they all die at the big horn fight.

If you join a game where the party already has grimoires picked up, they don't seem to count to your contract - or is it that the host needs to have the active contract too?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

When you ring the bell in Enemy Below it spawns 4 gutter runners now.

Ruining someone's game just got legitimate.

The bell is just after the second grimoire in that tunnel leading into the big open room with the third tome in a niche in a near-by tunnel. It doesn't make any sound and there's no indication outside of your player model it's being rung or has been rung.

You can do it multiple times and completely gently caress a game up. There's no tangible reason to do this at all outside of malice. I'm glad Fatshark's ideas and intentions are in the right place.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 9, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
the PS4 version got 2 patchs yesterday. i need to see if it fixed the FOV.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lunethex posted:

When you ring the bell in Enemy Below it spawns 4 gutter runners now.

Ruining someone's game just got legitimate.

The bell is just after the second grimoire in that tunnel leading into the big open room with the third tome in a niche in a near-by tunnel. It doesn't make any sound and there's no indication outside of your player model it's being rung or has been rung.

You can do it multiple times and completely gently caress a game up. There's no tangible reason to do this at all outside of malice. I'm glad Fatshark's ideas and intentions are in the right place.

*with full sincerity* this is good

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Spent an hour this morning on PS4 trying to get into a game. Any game. Finally got one and an invincible rat spawned in the first big wave that just followed us around draining our health nonstop.

Yeah that enough for me

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Playable skaven character coming soon?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

At low levels on the PS4, I generally know which dorf and soldier players are bad based on whether or not they're using the two-handed weapons.

How do I know this? At the end of the level, their damage taken stat is ludicrously high even compared to the bots. I decided to play sword and board soldier with a two-handed axe dorf and his damage taken was over 900 (higher than the other two bots), whereas I had about 150. I still killed more stormvermin and enemies in melee than him to boot.

If I had to give new players advice, it would be this - learn to love the block and shove no matter what weapon you have. It will prevent so much more damage to you than wildly swinging a two-hander ever will.

Also, you should view your secondary as more of a special rat killer than a way to pick off enemies from a distance. There are some exceptions (the Bright Wizard and the repeating pistol are generally better at killing tides of vermin at a distance than most others), but for the most part they kill stormvermin real good, and those guys going to deal the most damage to you in a short duration.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 9, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Two handed axe is one of the worst weapons in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Two-handers take some getting used to but the hammer and zweihander are both incredibly good.

I never get Two Handed Axes so I can't comment on them much.

• Locked thread