Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Max armor and oil yourself up for space.

Ram corvettes to death with your iClippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

TorakFade posted:

You know, I don't really give a poo poo about how many modules I can store, 30 would be plenty enough for me but I can get rich people having multiple top-tier ships feel limited. 100 sounds like a point where everybody should be quite happy if they really want it to be limited - that'd be your top 5 modules for 20 ships, or pretty much all modules for 5 ships.

The really, really important thing is that this storage is accessible from anywhere and not station-based otherwise it will be just as useless as the multi-million ship transfer fees.

... it is station-based, isn't it? :frontear:

Edit from the brown sea:

"I voted leave it at 30, though my own personal variant would be to remove module storage all together, along with ship transfer."
:qqsay:

Edit 2:

"Up to 30 per station. Because you have storage space per station, rented from the controlling faction when you reach friendly, for 10 mil CR per slot / per week, deducted from your digital wallet automatically.
You have no credits in the wallet to cover the rent, you lose the slots and the stored modules."
:goonsay:

I cannot wrap my head around how someone could hate fun so much. Did fun like, bully them when they were a kid? Was their mother killed by a driver who was having fun?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Smegma Princess X posted:

I cannot wrap my head around how someone could hate fun so much. Did fun like, bully them when they were a kid? Was their mother killed by a driver who was having fun?

Nobody else in the street is allowed a blue BMX but them or else.

*shakes water pistol threateningly*

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DancingShade posted:

*shakes water pistol threateningly*

That's my plasma accelerator :smith:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TorakFade posted:

"Up to 30 per station. Because you have storage space per station, rented from the controlling faction when you reach friendly, for 10 mil CR per slot / per week, deducted from your digital wallet automatically.
You have no credits in the wallet to cover the rent, you lose the slots and the stored modules."
:goonsay:

Like this guy, I posted 10 mil figure last week on reddit as a joke. I picked it because I thought 'what sounds like an absurd unworkable amount?' :negative:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I just figured out that you can load up your trader with fuel tanks for the outbound trip to Sothis in order to save time by avoiding fuel scooping. Then you can exchange the tanks for cargo racks once you arrive at Newholm Station for the return trip.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I swapped my large multicannon for a large frag on the vulture, and now I can't power all my stuff :argh: I really need to get around to grab an engineer upgrade for my power plant, this is infuriating

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

TorakFade posted:

I swapped my large multicannon for a large frag on the vulture, and now I can't power all my stuff :argh: I really need to get around to grab an engineer upgrade for my power plant, this is infuriating

Turn your cargo bay off. Also, upgrade your life support, then turn it off in combat :)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

TorakFade posted:

The base pp upgrade is actually really beast. It's cheap as hell and can get you like 10% more power and on a lucky roll, make you even more heat efficient.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Am I dumb for considering downgrading back to the Vulture from the FAS? Seeing the price of Military Composite at 14 mil for the Assault Ship just kind of stunned me.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Am I dumb for considering downgrading back to the Vulture from the FAS? Seeing the price of Military Composite at 14 mil for the Assault Ship just kind of stunned me.

Should be an easy choice.

vs

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Dandywalken posted:

You don't have to buy it :shrug:. FAS still has loads of armor with just hull upgrades on spare slots.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Dandywalken posted:

vs

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Is there a way for someone to play the ED "demo" without owning the game? My little brother wants to try ED but the launcher required him to input a product key to even register a Frontier account.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Shine posted:

Is there a way for someone to play the ED "demo" without owning the game? My little brother wants to try ED but the launcher required him to input a product key to even register a Frontier account.

Tried the same with a friend and we couldn't figure it out either. You could let him log on your account.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mike the TV posted:

The base pp upgrade is actually really beast. It's cheap as hell and can get you like 10% more power and on a lucky roll, make you even more heat efficient.

Yeah but I need to unlock farseer, must get my Asp, go to maia, get a meta alloy, go to her, go get my Vulture and bring it there

It will take two hours I would rather use to shoot things dead

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Yeah but I need to unlock farseer, must get my Asp, go to maia, get a meta alloy, go to her, go get my Vulture and bring it there

It will take two hours I would rather use to shoot things dead

I was doing the running around between places in my Vulture to upgrade it because I'm too scared that trying to switch modules between things will lose them mid-switcharoo.
But apparently you can do this using the sell module, swap ships, buy back module on different ship. So for the PP you could run to the eng with an undersized PP on an Asp and switch it to the Vulture when you get back.

Or just do a frillion economic jumps like I did and get more explorer bonus points to hand in at the engineers when you get there :)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
At least with 2.2 you can do fastest and plot to stoppable stars.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
Fellow transport pilots, this is a vision of our earthbound past.

Countdown until Frontier sues for copyright infringement? :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
In 2021, due to a small number of landlocked nations in Europe complaining, the UN decided to ban unmanned freighters. All transport must now be done by steamers without any communications or electronics.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Mouko posted:

Fellow transport pilots, this is a vision of our earthbound past.

Countdown until Frontier sues for copyright infringement? :v:

Like a platform or drill rig would let anything with no one on board anywhere near them. Won't fly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, why would an oil rig want something that saves them money in salaries and insurance premiums?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Yes, why would an oil rig want something that saves them money in salaries and insurance premiums?

They already run on DP. But when that shits the bed you need a back up, aka a real person. Besides, there is currently a glut of brand new or close enough PSV and ahst boats out there. Also, you think the boat companies are going to charge a lower day rate because they have noone on board? Especially if they just upgraded to a new state of the art boat? They are hurting right now and I can't see them investing in new vessels for at least 20 years. They are currently divesting themselves of everything around 10 years or older, when less than 6 years ago I used to work on boats over 20 years old. Plus for things like anchor handling and hose work, especially in crappy conditions, you need someone there. Also, they'd want someone to blame when shtf.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is there anywhere besides maia to get felicity farseer's meta-alloys? it's ages away

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is there anywhere besides maia to get felicity farseer's meta-alloys? it's ages away

Consider doing the other on, it points you in the direction of class 5 thrusters, I think?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
There's a spreadsheet out there with a list of barnacles with meta-alloys still available - should come up following a quick google. Don't think any are much closer than Merope, though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Recent changes to passenger cabins in the beta means that the Cutter can carry a decent spread of passengers (6/10/32) and 256T of cargo with a fighter bay and class 8 shields.

:getin:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Do cg rewards count towards status?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

goongratulations :toot::hf::toot:

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Congrats. now get the Corvette.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Congratulations. It's over, it's finally over.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I got 190 mil and shelled out the 124 for a discount Anaconda. :toot:

But I'm planning on sticking a fighter bay in it so I can pew pew around TIE Fighter style, and since I'm not in the beta I have no clue how I should arm the 'mothership' in this instance. Should I cover it in turrets or is the AI a decent enough pilot to do okay with fixed or gimbaled weapons while I'm in the fighter?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Valatar posted:

I got 190 mil and shelled out the 124 for a discount Anaconda. :toot:

But I'm planning on sticking a fighter bay in it so I can pew pew around TIE Fighter style, and since I'm not in the beta I have no clue how I should arm the 'mothership' in this instance. Should I cover it in turrets or is the AI a decent enough pilot to do okay with fixed or gimbaled weapons while I'm in the fighter?

The AI crew fly ships in exactly the same manner that the AI flies NPC ships, so with a skilled crew-member you can get away with anything except maybe fixed weapons on a large ship like the 'conda.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Meaning better be ready with the $20 mil rebuy.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

im trying to get a vette and will probs make the funds doing courier missions before i make the rank

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I fitted out an A-grade corvette and now I realize very little is worth the $30m risk of flying it :(

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mpyro posted:

Congrats. now get the Corvette.

The worst part about finally reaching Fed rank to buy a corvette was the realisation after flying a combat anaconda that the large ship life just wasn't for me and that I'd kept grinding ranks for no reason other than sheer bloody mindedness.

Well really it's not the size that was the problem. I just like things that pitch well, go fast and require minimal effort to mailslot while drinking.

I don't even fly my iClipper or FDL much anymore. I went back to the Cobra Mk3 and Vulture combo for everything and do just fine.
:shrug:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 10, 2016

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Meaning better be ready with the $20 mil rebuy.

Yeah, the AI still isn't ace at not facehugging asteroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Welcome to the cutter club.
Now have a bit of fun with the white whale until you realize you really wanted a corvette.

e: just kidding, i learned to love my cutter. It took a while and lots of self-abuse, but we really get along now and i cant wait to stuff her with fighter bays.

• Locked thread