Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mierenneuker posted:

There was a two month period where Onix was the one Pokemon I had seen but hadn't caught. In the span of a week I have caught one, hatched one from a 10 km egg and gained a Onix frequent spawn point.

Niantic plz

Edit: If you've had trouble dodging Blizzard and Earthquake, here's a good resource featuring some GIFs.
https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/how-to-dodge

who are you people who can't dodge blizzard? I'm not even humblebragging, y'all should be rarer than dragonite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's really hard to tell where the dodge window is without someone telling you. It feels counter-intuitive that you need to get hit first before you dodge, it's the same deal with Bubble.

Once you know when to dodge, yeah, it's quite easy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mean I can understand if it's a fast one like twister in which case you can tank that, but blizzard it takes so long you should tell something's up even if you don't know the moveset yet

in the event you get hit, well now you know

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I always dodge right after the yellow flash and I don't think there's been any move where it consistently failed me.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't bother dodging because I don't take gym battles that seriously and don't need to to get the occasional bunch of Pokecoins in my area. :downs:

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Alan Smithee posted:

I mean I can understand if it's a fast one like twister in which case you can tank that, but blizzard it takes so long you should tell something's up even if you don't know the moveset yet

in the event you get hit, well now you know

I was fighting a gyarados with my jolteon and I ate 5 consecutive twisters. I can dodge everything else no problem but something about twister fucks me up. Like he's gonna bite me at some point, right? There's no way he has another twister coming and that bite is only going to--- poo poo there it is.

edit: To bring up the twister bias again; I think the part that makes twister so good is that it can be cast over and over, instead of wasting an attack on bite you're constantly dishing out stronger charge moves, even if they're statistically weaker. My jolteon was down to 20% hp by the end, not like that's anything special.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 9, 2016

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Got my first ever perfect pokemon. It's a Caterpie. Butterfrses are still worthless right?

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 9, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pretty much. They will never get enough CP to be relevant.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

Pretty much. They will never get enough CP to be relevant.

incorrect. moveset and dodging can make butterfree into a god. how often do your pokemon dip under half hp in a good battle?
Butterfree can get bug bite/bug buzz without the poison type disadvantage (basically every bug man is a poison man and useless against psychics), or you can get confusion/psychic and absolutely destroy poison types.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Got my first ever perfect pokemon. It's a Caterpie. Butterfrses are still worthless right?

Bug Bite + Bug Buzz = great for training against Exeggutor

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Eyochigan posted:

incorrect. moveset and dodging can make butterfree into a god. how often do your pokemon dip under half hp in a good battle?
Butterfree can get bug bite/bug buzz without the poison type disadvantage (basically every bug man is a poison man and useless against psychics), or you can get confusion/psychic and absolutely destroy poison types.

A "good battle" is a battle which is over as soon as possible. Dodging is a waste of time.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Butterfree has easily the best power:CP ratio when you're fighting against executor. You can facetank 1000 prestige battles with him and the low max CP is only an asset.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

A "good battle" is a battle which is over as soon as possible. Dodging is a waste of time.

Don't forget consistent. I was getting 830 prestige per training with a 854 seadra (vs 1300 wiglytuff) but one wrong move was enough to easily kill me, especially when i was having fps stutters.

My 1128 wigglytuff only made 570 in comparison, but it was a guarantee win basically every time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Eyochigan posted:

I guess I'm just a bit spoiled by having a Scyther with Fury Cutter + Bug Buzz and a Slowpoke & Golduck with Confusion + Psychic who are all much beefier than a Butterfree.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 9, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So I realised I can track how many of which Eevee evolutions I get from the pokedex since you don't see them in the wild.

35 Evolves so far.

Vaporeon - 7
Flareon - 10
Jolteon - 18

:suicide:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

AirRaid posted:

So I realised I can track how many of which Eevee evolutions I get from the pokedex since you don't see them in the wild.

35 Evolves so far.

Vaporeon - 7
Flareon - 10
Jolteon - 18

:suicide:

Speak for yourself. I've caught probably a good 5 vaporeons in the wild.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Really. I figured I would see them if they existed since my area is literally covered in Eevee's all the time, but I've never seen one wild evolution. (I'm at level 25)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

something posted:

Don't forget consistent. I was getting 830 prestige per training with a 854 seadra (vs 1300 wiglytuff) but one wrong move was enough to easily kill me, especially when i was having fps stutters.

My 1128 wigglytuff only made 570 in comparison, but it was a guarantee win basically every time.

Speaking of I found that Marowak with mud slap and earthquake is comically consistently good against Jolteon. I could get three rounds of 780 prestige before the HP was in the red because I could reliably fire off Earthquake and KO the Jolteon before it could even manage to fire the first Thunder.

I'm just glad that I found a good use for him.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

I guess I'm just a bit spoiled by having a Scyther with Fury Cutter + Bug Buzz and a Slowpoke & Golduck with Confusion + Psychic who are all much beefier than a Butterfree.

True, Scyther is bug/flying aswell.

However a golduck or slowbro against a poison man, what if it got grass moves? Butterfree to the rescue.

I'm not saying Butterfree is the best but it has a place in the meta. And like others mentioned, it's good for training up gyms.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I caught a Dragonite!

It is only 1600CP and with 24% IVs. But it has the best offensive moves so... maybe it will make a good prestige builder?

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Alan Smithee posted:

who are you people who can't dodge blizzard? I'm not even humblebragging, y'all should be rarer than dragonite

I guess people are too distracted when that giant glacier builds up because that's when the yellow shockwave comes to tell you to dodge.

Caught this today. 132 in Pokedex now.

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch
FInally finished off my pokedex (minus regional exclusives/legendaries, of course). Also managed to evolve my favorite Pokemon, Machamp, with the best moveset and top IVs. Can't wait to power him up and wreck Snorlaxes!

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Sprite Based posted:

Can't wait to power him up and wreck Snorlaxes!

Can't wait for the follow-up post. Machamp. More like Nochamp.

On the bright side it chews through normal types like raticate easily. Sadly flying/normal cancel eachother out though.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 10, 2016

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Sprite Based posted:

FInally finished off my pokedex (minus regional exclusives/legendaries, of course). Also managed to evolve my favorite Pokemon, Machamp, with the best moveset and top IVs. Can't wait to power him up and wreck Snorlaxes!

I'm in the same boat with my Machamp (would've rather had Karate Chop for the quick move but at least got Cross Chop) and went to a confirmed Silph Road Machop nest only to find none. Went back to it after 20 minutes and still nothing. Someone confirmed it after this latest nest migration too so I'm kinda miffed.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Hatched four 5k eggs.
3 of them were Ponyta

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Finally hatched a Lapras!

Ice Shard/Dragon Pulse :negative:

On the upside, I finally got to evolve my Growlithe and it got Fire Fang/Fire Blast. But the search for a good Dragonite killer goes on.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

zeldadude posted:

I had like 40-50 and then I ran into a dragonite that used up all of them and 15 great balls, ever since then I just can't seem to get any. RNG truly is a bitch.

Actually now that I think about it I've had droughts of potions too. I wish there was some way to get more of either, it's so streaky.

We need some kind of guide about how to hit dragonites with balls

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

k-spar posted:

Catching dragonite guide:

step one: hit excellents

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch
I also evolved a high IV, perfect moveset Muk today, and holy poo poo, Gunk Shot is the best charge move. He literally throws a garbage can full of filth at his opponent. I burst out laughing when it happened.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

k-spar posted:

Spin the ball right below the mid-left side of the screen, then go all the way down to the bottom of the screen, then all the way up to the upper right corner of the screen, making a huge check mark. You will hit the dragonite almost every time.

Alternatively, people have had a lot of luck turning AR mode on and moving the dragonite to the bottom of the screen. I didn't find it very useful, though.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
1 Onix. 1 Magmar. 3 Eevees.

gently caress this game.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

AirRaid posted:

Vaporeon - 7
Flareon - 10
Jolteon - 18

At level 27, I've caught [and hatched, :argh:] 297/333 eevees (FWIW, second only to Pidgeys at 438/556)

My evolutions:
Vape: 16
Jolt: 12
Flare: 18

Only caught one wild evolution, though have seen at least three vaporeons in the wild.

It was a Flareon, in the hospital, while my wife was in labor, receiving counter-pressure from our doula. Yep, I'm father of the year material alright.

E:

E2: It was worth it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Porygon at the top of Sightings and no freaking way to FIND him. Even at top, which I thought meant he was closer than anything, I miss him walking around aimlessly. This is not cool.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

glyph posted:

At level 27, I've caught [and hatched, :argh:] 297/333 eevees (FWIW, second only to Pidgeys at 438/556)

My evolutions:
Vape: 16
Jolt: 12
Flare: 18

Level 29, 28 eevees. 1 vape 2 jolts 1 flare. still haven't used my name evolutions. Apparently eevees are more common in residential areas but it's hardly worth driving to one because there's less pokestops and I'd just get a bunch of pidgeys with it.

re: sightings: the order is random. one possible theory is that they are organized by time remaining. the best way to catch stuff is to walk until it disappears, then turn around, walk until it disappears, return to center them go up/down or left/right. whatever. math says you'll walk right into it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

SuperKlaus posted:

Porygon at the top of Sightings and no freaking way to FIND him. Even at top, which I thought meant he was closer than anything, I miss him walking around aimlessly. This is not cool.

I finally caught a snorlax right before the scanner went down a few days ago and now I'm not even tempted to play anymore.

I still have tons of stuff to catch and evolve like the big three starters but without a scanner I simply don't want to waste the time and energy finding nothing but drowzees and weedles.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to feel that way too. That Porygon was disheartening, especially on the heels of a Grimer on radar (like the Porygon, never even been on radar before) and a Seel on radar (seen once or twice, never found). That's a three-day streak of rarities appearing just to taunt the hell out of me.

Another thing, I wish this game changed something up to make multi-type Pokemon more special. With no ability to select what move you use and no move effects beyond pure damage, dual-typers like my buddy Poison Jab / Hydro Pump Tentacruel rarely seem to have a purpose. If a target's weak to Poison, I'd just use someone with Poison tap and charge moves. If Water, same, and more so because in this particular example there are Water Pokemon whose CPs blow Tentacruel out of, ah, the water.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I'd be okay with the ability to reroll a pokemon's moves for 10 candies or 20 coins or something. Just give me a way to make solid mons with garbage movepools useful.

Right now the only reason I think I'm still playing is a stubborn desire to finish the dex. I think I'm down to 20 or so total missing. Dragonite, hitmonlee and hitmonchan, and the starter evos are the big things left to tackle, the rest are just a question of walking around for candies and farming extras via eggs and wild catches.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Vegastar posted:

I'd be okay with the ability to reroll a pokemon's moves for 10 candies or 20 coins or something. Just give me a way to make solid mons with garbage movepools useful.
Multiply those numbers by at least 10 and you might start to be in the ballpark of possible. Though probably they would also make you do it at a special kind of pokestop that's only available for 24 hours during a holiday and also requires you to walk 50km to generate the power to activate it

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm nearly at level 30, and finally found my first Exeggcute! Maybe I can scrape together an Exeggutor by the time I hit 40.
Now I just need Lapras to complete all the un-evolved forms...

Eevee stats:
65 Eevee
3 Vaporeon (seen 2 wild ones, caught 1)
3 Jolteon
7 Flareon

I got two Vaporeon during my evolution spree yesterday, so for a long time I only had one, and it was too low level to power up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I saw a wild Snorlax earlier. Second one I've ever seen. Tapped it and the game instantly throws "error" and it disappeared. :negative:

On the plus side my local Charmander spawn has turned into a Seel spawn. So my Dragonite slayer ice shard/blizzard Dewgong is up to 1500 cp. Might be able to evolve a second one too.

• Locked thread